FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

Originally posted by xx11:

I start with Happy New Year folks....

and now I apologize, I was bored and was waiting on the United game when making almost all this post. So it rather…. Long!

After 4 seasons the team is rock solid, with more players then I could really know what to do with. There is some real quality throughout my team which is predominately youthful, so much so that many can’t even get in one of my squads even though they clearly are good enough.

Though the 4th season was successful, resulting in a 3rd contract given in 3 years, even though 2yr contracts were signed, however there was some disappointment in the season.

The season started out well, with hammering Arsenal 4-1 in the charity shield. The team went on a run and was undefeated up until December when lost 2-1 to Shaktar in group stages of Champions League. December remained a bit of a disappointment as a week later lost 2-1 to America(Mex) in the Club World Championship Semi final, and had to settle for 3rd place in the tournament, something I was most disappointed in.

Still, the disappointment ended there, as the squad made their recovery and ran through the rest of the season without defeat. The results which highlighted the season were:

3-1 victory over Zaragoza in European super cup.

2-0 victory against Chelsea in League cup Final victory against Chelsea

8-4 league Win at the City of Manchester Stadium against a completely slaughtered Man City.

4-2 Win over Arsenal in the FA cup final

4-2 Win over Valencia in Champions league final

The entire season was played with my currently favored variation of the 4-3-2-1 based on pure attacking football which can be seen here:

My Formation

The future looks bight…. The future is Red!

So it is the 2011/12 season now arrived, and the squad undoubtedly will continue to rock the world. However everything wasn’t rosy and some new signing quickly saw the door.

Van der Vaart was shown the way out after a single season. Though he played in every cup and European match he began to moan about first team football, I was not willing to negotiate the way I run my team with him and so he got put on the transfer list. He wasn’t happy about this, but I was set on shipping him out. No place for a whiner on my team. This lead to him leaving to go to AC Milan, on what probably could be seen as a good deal from their end, 13.5million + 50% sell on. I was happy to ship him of quick, and his wage demands had put a lot of people out of the bidding.

Another person that also arrived on a free transfer at the start of the season was booted out of the team also. Mirko Vucinic played a little over half a dozen matches only for the Reds. He complained towards the end of the season about more first team football and as the league was just about rapped up I gave him a match. This match was his last ever for the club.

Vucinic decided that now he was playing he would headbutt an opposition player, resulting in a 6 match ban. Well, I weren’t going to allow actions like that, he is no Cantona so he went straight on the transfer list, and there was a fair bit of interest that culminated in a 17.5million + 50% transfer to Barcelona whom keep chasing a large portion of my team.

Full list of sales/purchases are as follows:

Transfers out:

Van Der Vaart - £17.5million

Hargraeves - £12.5million

Vucinic – £17.5million

Chris Curran - £400k

Transfers In: (All free transfers)

Lucas Trecarichi

Yaya Toure

Macimiliano Oliva

Dagoberto

Alegandro Alfaro

Iago

Victor Diaz

All these transfers were arranged in January when I truly felt they would help improve the squad, however since then a lot of youth improved a lot and now it hard to find room. So now I got a massive list of backup players for my team.

Carlos Queiroz eventually decided he would not stay after managing to keep him all this time. Think it was more luck then anything, however now he has gone I checked my coaches and had a man waiting for a promotion by way of Rene Meulensteen. Though there would be people outside that may be better by way of motivation and tactical knowledge, this guy just looks like he should get the chance for now.

Rene Meulensteen

And finally, next seasons team lineup for league and cup games. The most notable change is the goalkeepers have switched as I wish to Foster a chance to be noticed as a world class keeper in European competitions. Also the thing to note is that no players should switch between squads at all, I wish to attempt to only use the subs/backup list for all competitions if cover is needed.

League:

GK: corradini

DR: Simpson

DL: Evra

DC: Ferdinand

DC: Vidic

MR: Ronaldo

ML: Messi

MC: Banega

AMC: Tevez

AMC: Rooney

FC: Rossi

Europe/Cups:

GK: Foster

DR: Bardsley

DL: Fabio

DC: Evans

DC: Pique

MR: Kroos

ML: Anderson

MC: Gibson

AMC: buonanotte

AMC: Saivet

FC: Bojan

Subs/Backups: in no particular order.

Defenders

Diaz

Stewart

Midfielders

Nani

Cerci

Dos Santos

Camacho

Fleck

Iago

Miller

Toure

Brown

Attackers

Alfaro

Pasquato

Dagoberto

Baxter

Cruden

Acapandi

Kenia

What now?

My Scouts continue to be busy trying to find youngsters, but now I may put on hold the number I bring in. Just try to get 16/17 year olds possibly for 4years time or so. Havent decided on that point yet. Whatever I do I need to lower the number of players in my team I feel, will look at my reserves whom i feel will never step up the next level.

So there you have it, that is how my team currently stands, if you have any thoughts or comments about anything or anyone then go ahead and say whatever you wish. Always good to get others opinions on achievements, future transfers etc etc.

You were MAD selling Hargreaves. He is immense

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SPOILER.... DONT READ IF DO NOT WISH TO SEE PA OF SOME PLAYERS

Sorry, layout did not stay as I wanted it so will do it differently here quickly.

Name: Corradini

Position: GK

Age in 2011: 22

PA: 177

CA on 19/6/08: 99

CA on 1/7/11: 154

CA increase: 55 (Quality keeper at a young age)

Name: Evans

Position: Defence

Age in 2011: 23

PA: 163

CA on 19/6/08: 147

CA on 1/7/11: 163

CA increase: 16 (Max CA in 2009)

Name: Pique

Position: Defence

Age in 2011: 24

PA: 178

CA on 19/6/08: 154

CA on 1/7/11: 174

CA increase: 20 (almost peaked before prime age)

Name: Benega

Position: Midfield

Age in 2011: 23

PA: 198

CA on 19/6/08: 148

CA on 1/7/11: 188

CA increase: 40 (worldclass at a young age)

Name: Esposito

Position: Midfield

Age in 2011: 21

PA: 169

CA on 19/6/08: 89

CA on 1/7/11: 148

CA increase: 59 (high quality at a young age)

Name: Saivet

Position: Attack

Age in 2011: 20

PA: 175

CA on 19/6/08: 104

CA on 1/7/11: 166

CA increase: 62 (high quality at a young age)

Evans's PA is far too low He is class. Didn't you see him against Roma?

What are the favoured tactics used amongst players here with Man Utd, considering the players they have?

I know that downloaded tactics can vary from person to person, but I always tweek any to suit the players attributes for each position.

Personally, my favoured tactic for Manchester United is a 4-4-2 with AML and AMR. I prefer to use two quick strikers because I love Rooney and Tevez together, if you have one which sits back (ie. Rare forward runs, rare longshots and run with ball and mixed through balls) and one pushing forward (ie. Often forward runs, often run with ball, rare through balls, long shots and crossing) and have them switch positions and they both scores bags of goals and assists.

Originally posted by heathxxx:

What are the favoured tactics used amongst players here with Man Utd, considering the players they have?

I know that downloaded tactics can vary from person to person, but I always tweek any to suit the players attributes for each position.

mine is similar to valentino.

What are through balls btw and how is it reflected in game? examples?

Originally posted by Adiee:

I'm just approaching the end of the 2010/2011 season. I have just been crowned Champions for the 4th year in a row (won it every year!) and I'm (yet again) in the Champions League Semi-final (up against HSV). I have won the Champions League in each of my seasons in charge of Manchester United.

I have a little problem (although it's a good one!) coming up in the summer.

My Midfield will consist of Cristiano Ronaldo, Joao Moutinho, Francesc Fabregas, Anderson, Michael Johnson, Ever Banega, Denilson, Giovani dos Santos, Nani and Giles Barnes. I plan to promote Georginio Wijnaldum, John Fleck, John Bostock and Danny Welbeck to the first team (albeit only as back-up).

I have used Anderson as a left winger since the start of the game, but have noted that when he's played in the centre, he gets goals along with his assists. i want to bring in Silva from Valencia and move Anderson inside in future. Now, Michael Johnson is labelled as a Midfield General and a quality player, but every time a match comes, he says he's nervous about the game against... or he's not sure whether he can stop...

I plan to sell Banega, as I have a better Defensive Midfielder in Denilson and Nani, as he's only started a handful of games for me this year and wants first team football.

My current squad looks like this:

GK - Igor Akinfeev, Gianluigi Buffon, Lucas Fabianski

DF - Dani Alves, Micah Richards, Steven Taylor, Patrice Evra, Gerard Pique, Breno, Gareth Bale, Jonathan Evans

MF - Cristiano Ronaldo, Joao Moutinho, Anderson, Silva, Giles Barnes, Francesc Fabregas, Denilson and Giovani dos Santos, with Fleck, Bostock, Wijnaldum and Welbeck as back-ups.

ST - Wayne Rooney, Sergio Aguero, Bojan, Rhys Murphy, Carlos Tevez, Toni Kroos.

Any suggestions?

I see that you have Fabregas in your squad. Is he any good? How much did you pay for him? Cheers

Originally posted by deadmanwalking11:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by heathxxx:

mine is similar to valentino.

What are through balls btw and how is it reflected in game? examples? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure exactly what you mean, but through balls are when someone plays a (shortish) ball through the line of the defense for your attackers to run on to. They try to turn the defense and get the forward a one on one with the keeper.

QUOTE]

I see that you have Fabregas in your squad. Is he any good? How much did you pay for him? Cheers

I paid £25m for him, and paid £9.75m for Denilson at the same time. Arsenal have hit financial trouble and wait fr it - CHELSEA HAVE BEEN RELEGATED to the Championship.

Further updates: I have won the Premiership and Champions League in each of my seasons with Manchester United. I've brought in Toni Kroos and Silva whilst offloading Nani, Tevez and Banega. I am actually mulling over selling either Michael Johnson or Fabregas as I want and need to trim my first team squad.

My honours so far:

Community Shield: 2007/2008, 2008/2009, 2009/2010, 2010/2011 Lost on Pens to Man City

Premier League: 2007/2008, 2008/2009, 2009/2010, 2010/2011

FA Cup: 2009

League Cup: Not won that yet!

Champions League: 2007/2008, 2008/2009, 2009/2010, 2010/2011

Super Cup: 2008/2009, 2009/2010, 2010/2011

Club World Championship: 2008/2009, 2009/2010, 2010/2011

Not bad! i desperately want to win the League Cup!

Currently in season 5, and i think its safe to say that snapping up Bojan when he was unhappy in season 3 for 17m is turning out to be a bargain. At the age of 21, hes recently won world player of the year, but still has 0 full spanish caps icon_confused.gif

bojan6gl8.th.jpg

Not a bad performance for a derby match.

SPOILER.... DONT READ IF DO NOT WISH TO SEE PA OF SOME PLAYERS

Sorry, layout did not stay as I wanted it so will do it differently here quickly.

I'm not talking about your youngsters. They inevitably will improve. I was talking about your older players who were young at the start, in particular Rooney, Tevez...Tevez has already improved in my game but Rooney hasn't. If that's how Rooney is going to stay I will be ****ed or rather he will be ****ed. But i've got all of those youngsters bar Banega and it looks good. Don't show any more though.

I think you'll be a disgrace if sell Foster, especially to Man City! Even thinking about it is an outrage and for £10m?! Fcuk me.

Talk about pressure icon_biggrin.gif £10m for Foster is ok but you could get more possibly. I wouldn't sell him to Man City but I would sell him to another club if it was above £10m definitely. His mental stats really annoy me as he is probably only about 20 points off his peak. Pique for £20m is a decent deal.

Ah, well checked Rooney and he more or less as good as will get for me, Tevez can improve a tiny bit more if he can stop picking up injuries. Keeps getting slight knocks which seem to play havoc with him at times.

Originally posted by Adiee:

QUOTE]

I paid £25m for him, and paid £9.75m for Denilson at the same time. Arsenal have hit financial trouble and wait fr it - CHELSEA HAVE BEEN RELEGATED to the Championship.

Further updates: I have won the Premiership and Champions League in each of my seasons with Manchester United. I've brought in Toni Kroos and Silva whilst offloading Nani, Tevez and Banega. I am actually mulling over selling either Michael Johnson or Fabregas as I want and need to trim my first team squad.

My honours so far:

Community Shield: 2007/2008, 2008/2009, 2009/2010, 2010/2011 Lost on Pens to Man City

Premier League: 2007/2008, 2008/2009, 2009/2010, 2010/2011

FA Cup: 2009

League Cup: Not won that yet!

Champions League: 2007/2008, 2008/2009, 2009/2010, 2010/2011

Super Cup: 2008/2009, 2009/2010, 2010/2011

Club World Championship: 2008/2009, 2009/2010, 2010/2011

Not bad! i desperately want to win the League Cup!

impressive stats mate

Originally posted by WoodyManUtd:

Yeh, i realised I was being a fool and cancelled, but i couldn't stop selling pique to AC for 20m(Chairman)

I am surprised gill sold pique for £20m

this is pretty unrealistic considering you are united. Imean united would never someone like say Rooney for £20m

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WoodyManUtd:

Yeh, i realised I was being a fool and cancelled, but i couldn't stop selling pique to AC for 20m(Chairman)

I am surprised gill sold pique for £20m

this is pretty unrealistic considering you are united. Imean united would never someone like say Rooney for £20m </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rooney and Pique are completely different prospects. Pique has a much lower value and is nowhere near as important as Rooney.

assisant manager is refuseing a new contract wants 26k budget only allows 25k anyone suggest a good ass just about to start season 2010 2011 oh my ass is carloez

Ricardo Moniz or whatever his name is. He's at Tottenham and is Dutch.

Originally posted by Jimmy Valentino:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazy gra:

Use Meulensteen

Very good, but German if I am not mistaken? icon13.gif

Hehe, nah hes a good choice. There are a couple of Coaches at Man Utd better than Queeroz at being an Ass Man </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dutch is he not?

End of season 1 review

Overall quite pleasing. I started this new save after getting into the 4th or 5th season of another one where i had won everything every year and wanted to start a new game with new ideas. Wanted to keep the team together, for one full season at least, giving all a fair chance, a new slean slate. Here is the first season.

Won the community shield winning 4-1 vs Chelsea. Only business before the close of the window was Matais Fernandez coming in for 10Mill. And i also brought in young defender Sahko in the Jan window.

Premiership

Started the season with a 6-2 win against Arsenal at Old Trafford, not a bad start at all. Was a strange season with Bolton Spurs and Portsmouth being the main contenders untill Jan. with the 'bigger' boys taking a while to hit their stride. Arsenal Chelsea and Liverpool all stuggled in the first few months. Towards Feb Chelsea and ourselves pulled away from the pack and it became a two horse race. A 3-3 draw away at the bridge in April gave me a big advantage and it was wrapped up in front of the Old Trafford faithful with a 3-1 victory over 'Boro. After being crowned champions the last few games saw abit of tiredness and lacklustre creep in. Several changes for the last away game at Pompey saw us flop 4-0 in what was a even game. The final game of the season saw us host Reading. Doyle, who i had been scouting, showed me up close how clinical he can be with two goals and they looked to spoil the party,and enflict the first home loss of the league campaign, with Reading leading 2-1 as 4 mins of stoppage went up. A late equalizer from Fernandez looked to spare the blushes BUT an even latter winner from Tevez really got the party started winning 3-2.

P 38 W 25 D 9 L 4 F 88 A 41 GD + 47 PTS 84

Highlights And Low Points

Highlights include the opening day 6-2 hammering of Arsenal. It was the first league game of the season, the first home game of the season, and the first big test all in one. Playing Liverpool 3 times and winning the 3 would be a highpoint in itself but the manner of the victories, 5-0 at Anfield and 3-0 at Old Trafford with another 5-1 win at OT in the FA cup 6th round. Liverpool had a torrid season finishing 7th losing 16 times. Beating Chelsea and Spurs(Ronnie hattrick) 4-1 at OT also rank as highpoints.

The lowest point really was the 4-0 loss at Pompey. Okay so it wasn't my strongest side but i expected a better performance. First game as champs and players with points to prove with the fa cup final coming up...this wasn't expected or accepted. The other 3 defeats were at Arsenal Spurs both 1-3 and a 0-1 at 'Boro. Draws at home and away to Sunderland also were hard to take...given the dominance in both games...but the 2 points helped Keaneo keep the Black Cats in the premier.

League Cup

Very much a fringe/youth team will be playing in the league cup(at least for the forseeable future) This season they got just two outing...round 3 saw Plymouth brushed aside 4-0 at Old Trafford before they fell to a 1-0 reversal at the Medejski Stadium. A good game and with their fair share of chances some gained experience for the younger stars.

FA Cup

The 3rd round was away to Colechester. 4 games without a win and on the back of a 1st jan loss at Asrenal(1-3) saw 8 changes. And boy did i nearly pay. Going behind on 3 occassions with Park Pique and Anderson looked to get us out of jail before a Ronaldo special in the 90th minute won the tie.

The 4th round again allowed me to rest players and bring in some young lads as Millwall come to Old Trafford. Following the 3rd round the Millwall camp said they were confident of getting at least a replay, even sneak the victory. Saha on 41 and Tevez on 43 saw us confortably win the game.

Round 5 saw another opportunity to rotate as Wolves were the opponents. Just Ronnie, Fletch and Carrick started the previous league game but even with Ronnie we couldn't break down Wolves and would have to go to Moulinuex Park following the 0-0 at Old Trafford. With a few more fimiliar faces in the United line-up it took just 7mins for Nani to open the scoring. Scholes added two more with Ronaldo completing the rout. 4-0

The game of the 6th round saw Liverpool travel to United. United had already completed the league double over their fierce rivals (5-0 and 3-0) For the first time Barton picked his strongest side for an FA Cup game. Within 8 minutes United had caught Liverpool...twice. Goals from Scholes(5) Ronaldo(8). And then a goal on the stroke of half time for Nani made it 3-0. 6 mins into the 2nd half Nani added a 2nd before Rooney got his first cup goal under Barton. Crouch added a late consolation.

Semi saw Spurs vs United and it took 103 minutes for United to break the dead lock. That boy Ronaldo done it and he added a 2nd in the 118th, an instinctive breakaway as Spurs pushed for a goal.

Final was against Newcastle United, who by their standards had a poor league season. At one point during Feb they sat in 17th just 3 points above Sunderland, both survived. Going into the game Man U had found their passing and rhythm abit off. A hard season of treble hunting looked to catch up with them. They were warned of the Owen threat but couldn't stop it and found themselves 2-0 becuase of his goals. on 57 Ferdandez had got one back. Tevez had a goal, wrongly, disallowed late in the game. Carrick also had a header disallowed, rightly, in the opening 10 mins.....How it could have been so different.

Champions League

Didn't start well...losing 3-1 at Sevilla. Beat Fenerbahce 3-0 at home and the double header with Moscow became crucial. Won 3-1 away and 3-0 at home. Sevilla were then treated to a football lesson and revenge for the opening game loss. 6-1 (game was like vs Roma last season) The last game saw the youngsters travel to turkey and showed very much their potential as they won 2-1 to top the group.

1st knockout round saw Werder Breman. a Thrilling 8-3 AGG victory. 5-2 in Germany and 3-1 back home. Ronnie the pick of my players getting 3 goals(1 away 2 at home).

Into the Quaters and the dream tie...

Real Madrid vs Manchester United

At the Beaurnabeu Saha got the opening, and vital away, goal after 22mins. Flowing football from both teams followed with no goals. On 81 Raul levelled things up but Ronaldo had us ahead 2 ins later. Saha added a 3rd on 87. This was far from over though.

The return leg was (along with Colechester game lol) the most flowing end to end game i have had or seen on FM.

Inbetween the two legs United had a semi final vs Spurs that lasted 120mins. Along with the fast flowing 1st leg this meant quite a few players weren't fit enough to start. Also with Rooney Anderson and Tevez out injuryed 7 changes were main from the fa cup team. Within 22mins though Fernandez had put us 2 up on the night,5-1 on AGG and very much on course to the semi's. 38 mins and Real's most creative player from the tie, Robinho, got one back(2-1 on night 5-2 AGG). A mad 9 mins in the 2nd half saw Real score 3 times. Soldado(54) Robinho(57) Saviola(63) that made it 2-4 on the night and 5-5 AGG with Real leading on away goals. Saha on 71 and 81 calmed us down and gave us breathing space(4-4 on night 7-5 on AGG) but Real kept coming at us and it took a coolly slotted penalty from Ronaldo on 88mins to put the tie to bed.

Semi Finals vs Chelsea

Having beaten Chelsea at home and drawing 3-3 away(throw away3-1 lead) i was quietly confident. A 2-0 away win, goals from Ronnie and Carrick. Many thought going back to OT with a 2 goal cushion, job done. And maybe i agreed deep down. How wrong. Chelsea came at us from the opening minute and were 2-0 up inside 13mins. My players looked wary and Chelsea looked fresher, quicker. At 2-0 it wasn't lost but the 2nd half started with the next goal very crucial. It was scored 5 minutes in by Drogba, who was offside, and gave Chelsea a 3-0 lead,meaning 2 goals were required dur to away goal ruling. Tevez got one back, or so we thought, it was ruled out for offside, very tight. Lamps was sent off with 10 mins to go but the tired legs couldn't give anymore. Chelsea deserved the 3-0 win though the 3rd which inevitable killed us of was offside.

Overall Look

Premiership Champions

FA Cup Runners up

Champions League Semi Finalists

League Cup 4th round

Community Shield Winners

Was happy overall with the season. Not winning everything in the first season will give me more of a challenge for the up coming season. Progress will be expected in the league cup were i will look to utilise the squad and blood young players. I am looking to bring in one or two strikers as injuries to roo and tevez really affected the team during Feb to April/May. Berbatov Agga Doyle Billy Sharp and Villa are all being looked at. Any advice on experinces with these players will be appriciated. Saha done well stepping in as the main man, scoring goals for fun when he got his confidence, ending the season with 18 goals. Rooney and Fernandez finished with 15 overall, will expect more from wayne if he stays injury free. Ronaldo was the star of the year. 56(2) 46 goals 17 assist 7.45 av.r

Another young star was Anderson who missed the last 4 months with an injury.

31(10) 13 Goals 13 Assists 7.22 av.r

Tevez only got 11 goals though he to was sidelined for months. Another season will be given to him as he and Roo showed potential for a great partnership before injuries interrupted. Gary Nev had a nightmare season. Didnt eve get a winners' medal. 12 appearences in all just 8 in the league. Injury hit season saw o shea step in and do a great job there. Danny Simpson also showed he is capable. The two of them could save me millions buying a replacement.

I know this review was long and thank you in advance to anyone who has actually read it all, i am thinking of doing the 2nd season as a bit of a story depends on time really. Will try and post my current squad (before transfer windown opens).

Thanks

Charlie

Just opened up my 5th season in charge of Manchester United with a thumping 5-0 thrashing of Portsmouth.

Moving away from the 4-4-2 I have deployed in my previous 4 seasons, a 4-1-3-2 took to the field and the debutant Silva, in place of Anderson in the attacking left midfielder's role due to him and dos Santos only just returning from international duty.

First game of the season is just moments away, against Crystal Palace.

Just finished my 2nd season in the United game and here is my squad's progress:

http://img231.imageshack.us/my.php?image=manchesterunitedmay2009ja2.jpg

My player of the season personally was that Brazilian beast Anderson who I took a chance on alongside Hargreaves because Scholes was getting slower. Anderson did not disappoint, scoring 15 goals and making 10 more. The obvious disappointment was Tevez as it could absolutely ages to get back to match fitness but he showed some encouraging signs of turning it on next season. My summer signings all settled in very well and Huntelaar was my best signing, being top scorer above even Rooney. Both Behrami and Daniel Alves started steadily but gradually turned into bad boys before the end of the season so it bodes well for next season.

Onto potential changes to the squad and I have signed up van der Sar and Neville for one more year while I am thinking of letting Giggs, Scholes and Fletcher leave as they are in the last year of their contracts.

Can anyone suggest any replacements if I let these three go? I was thinking of activating dos Santos' £12.75m release clause at Barca so he can rotate with Anderson. Also thinking of bringing in Banega to take on Fletcher's role of covering both central midfield positions (defending & attacking). Any suggestions would be welcome indeed icon14.gif

Here's what happened in the competitions:

http://img231.imageshack.us/my.php?image=englishpremierdivision0mg0.jpg

As you can see, I regained the league having lost it to Chelsea last season. It was a close battle with Chelsea stepping up the chase after an average first half to the season. Arsenal sneaked 4th spot on the final day of the season while Blackburn became the first side to break the 'big 4,' with the strikeforce of Santa Cruz, McCarthy and Derbyshire doing the damage to the surprise of me. Next season is going to be another battle to keep the title at Old Trafford.

My defence of the Champions League ended at the quarter-final stage at the hands of Juventus, with Buffon pulling off some right miracles. The trophy was won in the end by Chelsea against Valencia, making it a mirror image of last season as they won the league and I won in Europe. Hopefully with some new signings in the summer, I can come back and challenge for the Champions League.

As was earlier stated, my defence of the League Cup lasted just the one game as Chelsea beat me at Stamford Bridge on the way to winning the trophy over Newcastle. In the FA Cup, there was more heartbreak in the semi-finals as this time Middlesbrough got lucky in extra time after battering them throughout but just could not beat Schwarzer a second time. Boro went on to lose in the final to, you guessed it, Chelsea icon_mad.gif

So what do you think of my progress so far guys and what areas do you think need strengthening? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by gandycoleuk:

Just finished my 2nd season in the United game and here is my squad's progress

Without sounding like an arse, that wasn't a good season was it? The league is easy so that should always be won and the CL isn't too hard because of the two-legged games. The FA Cup and League Cup can be a bit random, though. What did the board and supporters make of your season?

You don't need Banega as you have Carrick. You might as well give Fletch a new contract and sell him for some decent money. Keep Giggs and Scholes so they can become coaches along with Ole, as well as VDS and Neville when they retire (as well as getting Keano as your ass man! I joke about that, but he's just been sacked from Sunderland in my game (with Hoddle replacing him!!!) so I might offer him a job).

Main place to improve your sqaud is wingers. Behrami is crap and Nani's av.rating was poor too, as well as Giggs being too slow now. You should sign at least two wingers IMO.

I lost the league to Chelsea and Shevchenko scored 12 goals.

How unrealistic is that!!?!?!?!?!?!

Not unrealistic at all. Shevchenko is still quite good and at a very good team, so 12 goals for him is actually poor. Losing the league is crap for you, though. You should always win the league as Man utd unless an AI team get over 90 points somehow.

Guardado has just accepted my offer and was wondering if I should go ahead with the signing? I've never signed him before on FM and have heard rave reviews about him.

Also, if I do get him, which one of my wingers should I sell? The wingers are Ronaldo, Giggs, Nani and Behrami. I think it's between Nani and Behrami. Thanks in advance icon14.gif

Guardado has just accepted my offer and was wondering if I should go ahead with the signing? I've never signed him before on FM and have heard rave reviews about him.

Also, if I do get him, which one of my wingers should I sell? The wingers are Ronaldo, Giggs, Nani and Behrami. I think it's between Nani and Behrami. Thanks in advance icon14.gif

Never had him before, but like you heard alot on the boards about him, and he is very skillful in reality.

Personally if it was me though, I wouldnt sell a winger if they all you got. Giggs will retire shortly and become a coach if you tempt him. Which would only leave you 3 wingers, and as got youth there and the likes of nani doesnt demand to play all the time then I would keep them all.

I've just closed the deal for Guardado and decided to keep Giggs and Scholes. I think I'll give Behrami another season as he started to pick up towards the end of the 2nd season. That leaves me with Guardado, Giggs, Nani, Behrami and Ronaldo on the wings.

However, the board have given me a right dilemma. They've just given me a budget of £60m to spend. This is my squad in late June 2009:

Goalkeepers: van der Sar & Foster

Defenders: G Neville, Alves, Evra, Silvestre, Ferdinand, Vidic, Pique & Brown

Midfielders: Ronaldo, Nani, Giggs, Guardado (coming in July), Behrami, Hargreaves, Carrick, Anderson, Scholes & Fletcher

Strikers: Rooney, Tevez, Huntelaar, Palacio & Brandy

Youngsters: Santonocito, Evans, Hewson, Wellbeck, Saivet, Torje, Alex, Marin.

What do you think guys?

Originally posted by marklovescarly:

Can anyone recommend a tactic for united am realy struggling thanks

I'm using this tactic:

----GK-----

RB-CB-CB-LB

----DM-----

----CM-----

RAM-CAM-LAM

----ST-----

I play an attacking mentality with short/mixed quick passing, wide, closing down "whole pitch" and mixed time wasting. Also a target man (Rooney) with a mixed supply and counter attack turned on.

Doing well in all competitons with my defence rarely conceding, just 10 in 45.

I've just closed the deal for Guardado and decided to keep Giggs and Scholes. I think I'll give Behrami another season as he started to pick up towards the end of the 2nd season. That leaves me with Guardado, Giggs, Nani, Behrami and Ronaldo on the wings.

However, the board have given me a right dilemma. They've just given me a budget of £60m to spend. This is my squad in late June 2009:

Defenders: G Neville, Alves, Evra, Silvestre, Ferdinand, Vidic, Pique & Brown

Midfielders: Ronaldo, Nani, Giggs, Guardado (coming in July), Behrami, Hargreaves, Carrick, Anderson, Scholes & Fletcher

Youngsters: Santonocito, Evans, Hewson, Wellbeck, Saivet, Torje, Alex, Marin.

What do you think guys?

Seeing as you have Neville and Alves, I'd probably use Alves on the right wing and Ronaldo on the left mainly.

Originally posted by Evon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazy gra:

crazy gra's 8.0.1 Guide[/b]]www.fm-britain.co.uk

I thought it would be worthwhile to do a guide to starting a new Man Utd game. This will give everyone an idea of how to go about a new game and the main things to get sorted before the season gets underway. Let's begin with the current team and see how that shapes up:

Initial Squad

If you want to have at least one season with just the current squad, which is probably a decent challenge and saves you some time in the transfer market, then what team should you be using?

Well, the Man Utd squad at the start has a very good depth to it and plenty of cover for every position except for strikers. That said, the best team to choose based on a 4-4-2 for simplicity is probably:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Van der Sar

Neville Vidic Ferdinand Evra

Ronaldo Hargreaves Anderson Giggs

Rooney Tevez

</pre>

I personally use a 4-4-1-1 (or 4-2-3-1 in attacking versions) as the lone ST exploits space well and with Rooney and Tevez you can use them both and have them swapping positions.

In my opinion the rest of the squad is more than capable to fill in in times of injury, poor form or rotation. Kuszczak, Brown, O'Shea, Pique, Silvestre, Nani, Carrick, Fletcher, Scholes, Martin and Saha are good players too. The youth players such as Jonny Evans, Danny Simpson, Richie Jones, Darron Gibson, Chris Eagles, Dong Fangzhuo and Fraizer Campbell are also good enough to fill in if needed.

Transfers

The initial squad is full of quality and easily capable of winning the league at least as well as being able to progress far in the cups. However, we get around £10m to spend at the start and we might as well use it. Mainly the squad needs another striker, but what players are expendable that we can ship out? The following players can be sold (some with approximate prices):

- Tomasz Kuszczak

- Phillip Bardsley, £5m over 24 months

- John O'Shea, £5m+

- Darren Fletcher, £15m over 24 months

- Chris Eagles

- Louis Saha, £10m over 24 months

- Park, £7.5m (more likely in January)

Selling Saha is not really advised unless you're using a formation with a single ST. Likewise with Kuszczak - his stats are only average but does a good job as a backup. You can sell him if you can buy a decent young keeper on the cheap. Foster is a good keeper but is injured until March, so it's probably best to keep Kuszczak for the first season. I use a 4-4-1-1 and kept Saha but the AMC is more of a forward than a midfielder. Fletcher is another good player, so only sell him if you buy a midfielder. So who to buy?

Keepers: Lloris, Ochoa, Ustari, Riou, Grohe.

Defenders: Cassani, Sakho (free), Breno (£7m), Barzagli (£7m), De Silvestri, Alves, £15m-25m depends on whether he is transfer listed

Midfielders: Banega (£3m), Van der Vaart (£13m), Matias Fernandez (£10m), Carvalho £3m when his contract expires

Forwards: Amauri (£10m), Aguero, Owen £10m, Pandev (£15m), Ashton (£11m), Adriano (loan), Bojan (loan).

Obviously, you're not going to be able to afford all of them unless you sold Ronaldo and Rooney. Some of those players you might be able to get very cheap or on a free, which is fine, but save your money for a striker, so more on them:

What type of striker do you want? If you're after a target man then Amauri seems a very good option as he's also got the abilities to play as a quick ST. Dean Ashton has good qualities and isn't expensive as well as keeping the team more English. For quick strikers, then unsettling the likes of Aguero or Owen will be well worth it. If you use money elsewhere, then loaning Adriano or Bojan is also worthwhile.

As for me, I signed Matias Fernandez as he has the versatility to play on both wings, in centre midfield and also upfront, although he'll need to be retrained on the right wing and at FC. At £10m he is an absolute bargain and I cannot recommend him enough. He was the only senior player I signed at the start and has been one of my best players. He is a must to sign in my opinion and doesn't even need unsettling to get the price down to £10m icon14.gif

Other Youth players to buy for the future:

Saivet, Stancu, Kroos, Torje, Vela, Wijinaldum, Fraga, Rybka

Coaches

You always need to sort out the coaches at the start of the game, so here's which initial coaches should do what training:

- Queiroz: Defending, 7 stars

- Dempsey (promote from youth coach): Ball Control, 7 stars

- Meulensteen: Shooting, 7 stars

- Coton, Hartis: Goalkeeping, 7 stars

- Harrison: Set Pieces, 6 stars (Cannot find any 7 star set piece coach in the game!)

So you need to buy other coaches to fill the rest of the training. There are usually some very good regen coaches at the start which should provide you with a cheap 7 star trainer if you're lucky and one is my 7 star tactics coach, but I've also found:

- Aroso, Duverne: Fitness, 7 stars.

- Steve Burns: Attacking, 7 stars.

I think that's all. If there's anything glaring that anyone wants to add, then shout up. Please refer new people to this when they start a new game and ask for "who to sign/sell etc".

Added a bit off the top of my head. Cba to load up my game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you recommend a tactics coach

thanks

Can you recommend a tactics coach

thanks

I signed some ancient Spaniard, Juan Santisteban on a free who has 7 star tactical coaching. Just search for coaches with at least 18 in tactical coaching asking your assistant to filter out unrealistic targets, and pick who you want (i.e. someone on a free, or an Englishman, or just the best you can find who will join you).

Just signed Gabriel Milito on a free as his contract had run out and my squad now looks like this:

Defenders: G Neville, Alves, Evra, Silvestre, Ferdinand, Vidic, Milito, Brown & Pique

Midfielders: Ronaldo, Nani, Giggs, Guardado, Behrami, Hargreaves, Carrick, Anderson, Scholes & Fletcher

Youngsters: Corradini, Simpson, Santonocito, Evans, Hewson, Wellbeck, Saivet, Torje, Atienza, Alex & Marin

Think I've got pretty much all my youngsters out on loan for the 3rd season. What do you think guys?

Keep your updates to just three a season so not to clog up the thread with too many updates please. As for the point in the game you're at, you just needed to say what your team was at the end of last season and ask where it needs improving. Then you make improvements and ask questions if you want about whether such a player would be worthwhile to buy and maybe his price too. Then at the end of August post your team so we can comment on it icon14.gif

Originally posted by trundle:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can you recommend a tactics coach

thanks

I signed some ancient Spaniard, Juan Santisteban on a free who has 7 star tactical coaching. Just search for coaches with at least 18 in tactical coaching asking your assistant to filter out unrealistic targets, and pick who you want (i.e. someone on a free, or an Englishman, or just the best you can find who will join you). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>As I said in the guide, you'll probably need a regen for this. I guess that Trundle's coach has random stats so hence didn't show in my game and therefore may or may not show in others. It was the same with another coach I signed who I believe might be a bit random, which is why I didn't add him to the guide and say that it's best to search for coaches sometimes.

Just signed Gabriel Milito on a free as his contract had run out and my squad now looks like this:

Defenders: G Neville, Alves, Evra, Silvestre, Ferdinand, Vidic, Milito, Brown & Pique

Midfielders: Ronaldo, Nani, Giggs, Guardado, Behrami, Hargreaves, Carrick, Anderson, Scholes & Fletcher

Youngsters: Corradini, Simpson, Santonocito, Evans, Hewson, Wellbeck, Saivet, Torje, Atienza, Alex & Marin

Think I've got pretty much all my youngsters out on loan for the 3rd season. What do you think guys?

Get a LB and a CM. Or you could use Alex if he's decent defensively. Hewson isn't good enough. Also sell Fletcher and/or Carrick. They're useless. I'd also sell Palacio and Huntelaar to give Saivet or Welbeck a chance and it gives you the opportunity to buy a really World-Class striker like Aguero. Get a GK if Corradini isn't that good too. VDS will be gone soon and you need some competition.

He doesn't need a left back as he has Evra and Silvestre. Sivlestre isn't great but does a decent backup job to Evra. If you can afford Chiellini then fine, but I'd spend money in other areas first.

I don't think Alex is the Brazilian midifielder from Fenerbache seeing as he's a youngster, if that's who you're thinking of. he definitely doesn't have good defensive stats. Don't sell Carrick.

Like with Silvestre, he shouldn't sell Huntelaar and Palacio unless he has bags of money to buy better. Welbeck is better on the wing and Saivet is French as well as not that good icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by marklovescarly:

Can anyone recommend a tactic for united am realy struggling thanks

Try the good old 442 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>As for you - shut the fcuk up with these irreverant posts and double posts. The 442 is a formation anyway, not a tactic.

Just finished season, with a clean sweep winning every competition and my defence perorming exceptionally well.

Table

Formation

Overview

Squad

As you can see I've made little improvement to the team, only buying Tuia and Wijnldum who are in my under 18s.

I'm not sure of my budget for next season but I'm looking for a winger, a right back and a striker. Any reccomendations?

Don't sell Foster, unless that bid is about £40m. I'd agree with a winger and a ST, but not sure you need a DR yet. You could try for Alves and use him as a winger until Neville retires. Amauri or Aguero can be unsettled quite easily and might not be too expensive.

Originally posted by crazy gra:

Don't sell Foster, unless that bid is about £40m. I'd agree with a winger and a ST, but not sure you need a DR yet. You could try for Alves and use him as a winger until Neville retires. Amauri or Aguero can be unsettled quite easily and might not be too expensive.

It's all right crazy, the bid for Foster was withdrawn, my demands were too high for Portsmouth.

Alves is unsettled but still very expensive and thanks for the striking tips.

hi there, i'm caught in two minds about the whole goalkeeping situation at man united.

what do you guys do? do you keep van der sar for first season n then get rid of him? what do u do with tomas kuszczak and ben foster?

if you do bring someone in who are your likely targets?

thanks in advance icon14.gif

Archived