FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

Mate, you are Man Utd, hence you don't need to use a DM AND an MCd in your tactic. The MCs should both be MCas, so you really don't need another DM. Carrick and Hargreaves are fine and can be backed up with Pique and Gibson if needed.

Disagree. My tactic means that when attacking I'm essentially playing with 3 strikers, so I therefore need protection in the middle. I like to play with one defensively minded CM/DMC, one attacking CM, and one who is well rounded with great passing ability (at the moment carrick) who runs the game. Gibson and Pique aren't good enough to play the holding role against half-decent teams in my opinion.

You probably won't get Cech just now unless you've been bumming him for the past two seasons and Chelsea aren't doing too well. The other two are much more realistic targets

Cech was unsettled and willing to join but still signed a new contract. I both he and Frey will be out of my price range anyway as I've had respective £40m and £30m bids turned down.

I disagree with you on selling Benny

I would have liked to have kept him, but despite his decent stats he was calamitous this season, constantly moaning about a lack of playing time then forever making errors when presented with it.

sigh... chairman accepted bid from barca worth 22mill for pique

My chairman accepted 15m + 40% sell on from Arsenal which I felt was a fair deal. If you want to keep him though, just offer him an improved contract and hope he stays.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by trundle:

My chairman accepted 15m + 40% sell on from Arsenal which I felt was a fair deal. If you want to keep him though, just offer him an improved contract and hope he stays.

Seems too cheap of a bid to me... I would want 25mill + Sell on clause... hell, arsenal offered me 19.25million+50% sell on for Fabio and I still refused a sale on the lines that it is arsenal icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by Dave Liddle:

(temp replacement having sold evra to barca for 17 mill last season).

Are you mad????? I'd rather sell all my other defenders than sell Evra! He is a rare specimen. A great left back. There aren't many in the game. CB's and RB's are around in abundance.

And what's wrong with playing a defensive midfielder? I don't play Hargreaves that defensively but I need someone to be back covering most of the time as everyone else is forward, even my FB's, so his mentality is a fair way back from Scholes'.

Just beat HSV in the 1/4 final of the Champions League first leg 8-2 at Old Trafford. It's come at a cost though as Dani Alves has been ruled out for a month and Joao Moutinho 2 months. This comes 3 days after Rooney being ruled out for 5 months with a broken leg!

Won the League Cup, beating Everton 2-1 in the Final. First time I've win it on this game.

Seems too cheap of a bid to me... I would want 25mill + Sell on clause... hell, arsenal offered me 19.25million+50% sell on for Fabio and I still refused a sale on the lines that it is arsenal

Can you remember when that fabio bid was made please? I'd be very happy getting anything over 5m for him. I see your point re pique, but as far as i'm concerned he'll never be good enough for the first team so i was happy with what i got. he's hardly featured for arsenal so far, so it's all good.

Adiee: Nice win, unlucky with the injuries. I think they have been toned quite a bit from fm07.

Adiee: Nice win, unlucky with the injuries. I think they have been toned quite a bit from fm07.

To be fair, i've been more than fortunate not to experience any really major injuries in the 5 seasons i've with United. The following game i battered Arsenal 5-2 in the FA Cup Semi Final, Bojan (2), Aguero, Ronaldo and Rhys Murphy. Just reached the Champions League Semi Final with a 10-3 aggregate win over HSV. Top of league, 4 points clear of Spurs and with 2 games in hand. League Cup already in the bag. Final of FA Cup against Birmingham to come too. Also won the Community Shield, Super Cup and Club World Championship this season too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Seems too cheap of a bid to me... I would want 25mill + Sell on clause... hell, arsenal offered me 19.25million+50% sell on for Fabio and I still refused a sale on the lines that it is arsenal

Can you remember when that fabio bid was made please? I'd be very happy getting anything over 5m for him. I see your point re pique, but as far as i'm concerned he'll never be good enough for the first team so i was happy with what i got. he's hardly featured for arsenal so far, so it's all good.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wasnt till midway through 2011 season. But I actually given him alot of game time as coaches said he could have become a leading player. Dont think his defencive stats will ever be great though, however he looking a strong all-rounder so worth playing as he kinda came through the ranks

cheers. wow, the market for keepers is ridiculously competitive.

chelsea wanted > 50m for cech

fiorentina wanted 40m for frey

cska wanted > 40m for akinfeev

getafe wanted 22m for ustari

nice wanted > 18m for lloris

i've settled for morgan de sanctis for 7m. let the derison ensue. icon_frown.gif

I agree, although if Foster was really that bad for you then I guess you did need to look for another, but you should have ensured you could get a quality one in before letting him go. How much you selling Benny for anyway?

As for De Sanctis, on FM06 and FM07 he's had good stats like he does on 08, but has been unimpressive. Like I said with Maldonado earlier, his stats suggest he could be awesome but he just doesn't perform as you'd expect.

Here's my quarter final 2nd leg v Inter which shows Benny's quality as well as some very contrasting performances from someone you wouldn't expect:

01102008000700um5.th.jpg

January is finally here \o/ icon_biggrin.gif

looking to improve my squad as my team finally sweep the position awards

Riou - Goalkeeper & French Player of the Year

Barzagli - Defender

Silva - Midfielder

Rooney - Striker

Silva - World Footballer of the Year & European Footballer of the Year \o/

Squad

01102008025822dt2.th.jpg

Looking to sign Bojan, Balotelli & Aimar on frees

Originally posted by Dave Liddle:

should have kept foster icon_smile.gif

Tell me about it!! I sold Foster a couple of seasons ago as I had Buffon as my first choice. Foster kept moaning so I sold him to Barcelona. I brought in Fabianski to replace him, then i noticed that Buffon's stats went down very fast so i was in the market for a new Number 1. Igor Akinfeev joined in January when his contract expired. I have been shipping goals in left, right and centre, although i'm scoring 3,4 and 5 goals every game, i'm conceding 2 or 3 nearly every game. There are better goalkeepers on my game around and Foster is one of them. He wants to come back to Old Trafford. He's 28 now so he's bang in his prime!

Originally posted by Sir frosinone:

bb could you explain how to post a screen shot please.

well i use a downloadable tool from Imageshack called Quickshot 1.52 iirc

and all i have to do is press Alt & U and it brings up a link to the picture and then i copy and paste that link into a reply box

Originally posted by crazy gra:

I agree, although if Foster was really that bad for you then I guess you did need to look for another, but you should have ensured you could get a quality one in before letting him go. How much you selling Benny for anyway?

As for De Sanctis, on FM06 and FM07 he's had good stats like he does on 08, but has been unimpressive. Like I said with Maldonado earlier, his stats suggest he could be awesome but he just doesn't perform as you'd expect.

Here's my quarter final 2nd leg v Inter which shows Benny's quality as well as some very contrasting performances from someone you wouldn't expect:

01102008000700um5.th.jpg

Foster was quality

Originally posted by crazy gra:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimmy Valentino:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazy gra:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Evon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazy gra:

I was thinking someone like Messi if the money was available!

If I can unsettle Alves then I'll get him and use him on the right wing. I'd prefer someone who can play both sides, but right wing is the priority.

I wouldn't recommend that. He's great technically but much more at ease at FB. You should go for Quaresma, Silva etc. Nani's pretty decent for me though. Consistent enough and gets 8's quite alot. My wingers always get the high ratings consistently while my central midfielders suffer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>As for Silva I shall see how he does for my Valencia team. Quaresma does look good too and might not cost too much compared to the likes of Messi, but I won't need another winger until the 3rd season I reckon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Silva is a legend you baffoon, gets alot of goals, a massive number of assists, can play on both wings, everything you're looking for. In my Valencia game he has been the 2nd best player for me in both seasons, and hes only behind Villa because Villa scores 50 goals a season. He also keeps winning midfielder of the year (UEFA) and he would be a great pairing to Ronaldo <3 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I said I'll see how he does for my Valencia team. He had great stats on 07 but didn't overly impress, so time shall tell.

Re Quaresma's price: he's just gone to Arsenal in Jan 2009 for 18.25m.

Is Francesco Bolzoni any good on other people's games? I've only noticed him on this save, and have loaned him for cover at DMC after my original target, Maldonado, wasn't granted a work permit.

And for anyone who plays with a playmaker, I'd thoroughly recommend setting Ronaldo as it. I've felt in the past that I haven't been getting the best out of him, but since giving him the role midway through last season, it's totally transformed him. You could probably arguue that it's turned me into a bit of a one man team, but he's now averaging a goal per game and an assist in every other.

That's a pretty decent price for Quaresma.

Never heard of Bolzoni, but I had Maldonado on a game on 07 and he wasn't that good. Why are you getting a DM when you have Hargy and Carrick?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree... good price for quaresma. You dont need him though. (Ronaldo and giggs )

Lloris >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everyone else. And you really should have kept Foster, trundle. Especially since you didn't unsettle any of the other goalkeepers. Their prices were all around £10m for me. Well Ochoa, Akinfeev and Lloris anyway.

more posts than arsenal LOL

soon we will overtake the IRL

Well I for one am glad that I now can sleep easy tonight.

Tucker not use hese anymore.

Think he's in New York.

Lloris >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everyone else. And you really should have kept Foster, trundle. Especially since you didn't unsettle any of the other goalkeepers. Their prices were all around £10m for me. Well Ochoa, Akinfeev and Lloris anyway.

True, true. Well apart from the Lloris bit. It was stupid not having a replacement lined up before I sold him.

Fletcher has just been sold to Everton for 16.75m. In fairness he is looking quite good now, maybe I should have held onto him for a bit longer (sold him to Spurs first season for £9m + 30% sell on).

My only other signing of note was Cristiano Zanetti for 500k who has started off well.

I've been drawn in the CL group of death along with Juve, Porto (who knocked me out last year, now managed by Mourinho) and Galatasaray.

Think I sink to new levels of sadness and keep track of some of the stats from my matches this season, i.e. shots to goals ratios.

Originally posted by Evon:

I can get Baines for £10m for him to come in the 2008 summer transfer window. Deal or no deal?

I'd say no deal. Depends how different your squad is to mine, but Evra hasn't picked up a single injury for me yet, so Baines wouldn't get enough games to justify a £10m tag. I'm happy with Evans/O'Shea giving Evra the odd day off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">more posts than arsenal LOL

soon we will overtake the IRL

Well I for one am glad that I now can sleep easy tonight.

Tucker not use hese anymore.

Think he's in New York.

True, true. Well apart from the Lloris bit. It was stupid not having a replacement lined up before I sold him.

Fletcher has just been sold to Everton for 16.75m. In fairness he is looking quite good now, maybe I should have held onto him for a bit longer (sold him to Spurs first season for £9m + 30% sell on).

My only other signing of note was Cristiano Zanetti for 500k who has started off well.

I've been drawn in the CL group of death along with Juve, Porto (who knocked me out last year, now managed by Mourinho) and Galatasaray.

Think I sink to new levels of sadness and keep track of some of the stats from my matches this season, i.e. shots to goals ratios. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hope it happens in real life is what i meant

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Evon:

I can get Baines for £10m for him to come in the 2008 summer transfer window. Deal or no deal?

I'd say no deal. Depends how different your squad is to mine, but Evra hasn't picked up a single injury for me yet, so Baines wouldn't get enough games to justify a £10m tag. I'm happy with Evans/O'Shea giving Evra the odd day off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Agreed, although I'd be using Silvestre to rotate Evra with. You could buy Baines if you're a left winger short so push Evra forward.

Well I've just completed my 5th season and what a season it was!!

Started with bagging the Community Shield for the 5th year in a row. Then collecting the Super Cup for the 4th, the Club World Championship for the 4th, I even managed to win the League Cup for the first time. Then came May! During the last 2 months of the season, i lost Rooney (5 months), Moutinho (2 months), Dani Alves (1 month), Anderson (1 month) and Bale (2 months) and the games were coming thick and fast! Giles Barnes/dos Santos and Wijanldum stepped up to perform greatly in the absence of Anderson and Moutinho, with Johnson and Denilson rotating as the holding midfielder. Ronaldo was scoring left right and centre as too were Aguero, Bojan and Murphy.

I won the title for 5th year running with games to spare. that allowed me to rest my big players for the FA Cup final and the Champions League final. I battered Birmingham 4-0 at wembley, and Ronaldo, in ROoney's absence lifted the famous trophy. The 2nd time i had won it. The following Wednesday was another Champions League final for me, the opposition were Lyon who I had knocked out the season before in the 1/4 final stages. With a Domestic Treble already in the bag (Quadruple if the Community Shield counts!), a European Treble was in my sights. Lyon were the better side in the early stages, but they never capitalised on their domination and my team went into half-time 2-1 ahead! I was thrilled! I told my players not to get complacent and I thought it had worked when, a couple of minutes after the restart, Bojan scored to make it 3-1 and seemingly put the game beyond the French side. Lyon came at us like a side possessed! They managed to get a goal back but it was too late! Manchester United won the European Cup for the 5th season in a row!

So, 2012 has been my greatest ever season and it has lifted me to 1st place in the Hall of Fame!

Community Shield - 5 times

League Cup - 1 time

FA Cup - 2 times

Premier League - 5 times

Champions League - 5 times

European Super Cup - 4 times

Club World Championship - 4 times

I could've done better though.

With regards to plans for next season, Pique and Evans are 25 and 24 respectively and are not really first-teamers. They have commented on the lack of play time so I am looking to offload them. Evra has 1, maybe 2 seasons left as my first choice left-back with Bale as cover, although rotation is more suited now! Dani Alves is 29 and i am desperate for a young right back with pace, but i haven't found any. Rafael spent the season on loan at Sunderland so i may use him this season and see how he goes. I have agreed to bring back Ben Foster to be my first choice (i should never of sold him!) and will repace Akinfeev. Buffon, although he's 34 and no longer up to the demands of Premier League football, has just signed a new 5 year deal. I want him to retire and become a coach for me.

No major transfer activity will happen, just replacements for Pique and Evans and Dani Alves, Micah Richards, Steven Taylor, Patrice Evra, Breno and Bale are top class. I have Bostock, Fleck and Zeefuik returning from year-long loan spells and will see how they do (barring Zeefik, who i am looking to sell)

No major transfer activity will happen, just replacements for Pique and Evans. Dani Alves, Micah Richards, Steven Taylor, Patrice Evra, Breno and Bale are top class, so my defence is young enough and full of absolute quality!. I have Bostock, Fleck and Zeefuik returning from year-long loan spells and will see how they do (barring Zeefik, who i am looking to sell)

Goalkeepers:

Igor Akinfeev

Gianluigi Buffon

Ben Foster to arrive

Defenders:

Dani Alves

Micah Richards

Steven Taylor

Patrice Evra

Breno

Gareth Bale

Gerard Pique - looking to offload

Jonathan Evans - looking to offload

Midfielders:

Cristiano Ronaldo

Joao Moutinho

Michael Johnson

Silva

Denilson

Anderson

Giovani dos Santos

Giles Barnes

Georginio Wijnaldum

Strikers:

Wayne Rooney

Sergio Aguero

Bojan

Rhys Murphy

hi there, i need help in strengthening my squad. i've just started my 2nd season and in the 1st season i won the premiership, FA Cup and charity shield.

end of 1st season ins and outs:

Ins

Ever Banega 4.3 mil

Dean Bouzanis 925k

Silva 52 mil

Outs

Carrick 14.25m to AC Milan

Fletcher 7m to Villarreal

Kuszszak 5m to Blackburn

Ji Park-Sung 4.5 mil to Deportivo

Man Utd 1st team Squad

Edwin VDS

Ben Foster

Neville

Simpson

Evra

O'Shea

Silvestre

Ferdinand

Vidic

Brown

Pique

Hargreaves

Banega

Silva

Ronaldo

Nani

Scholes

Gibson

Anderson

Eagles

Tevez

Rooney

Saha

Campbell

It's not a bad team but not the best. i have 25 million left to spend for Jan transfer market when it comes around.

Saha was top goalscorer in first season with 28 goals in 31 appearances but he is about 30 now i need to build for the future.

any suggestions? thanks in advance icon14.gif

Originally posted by scottme01:

hi there, i need help in strengthening my squad. i've just started my 2nd season and in the 1st season i won the premiership, FA Cup and charity shield.

end of 1st season ins and outs:

Ins

Ever Banega 4.3 mil

Dean Bouzanis 925k

Silva 52 mil

Outs

Carrick 14.25m to AC Milan

Fletcher 7m to Villarreal

Kuszszak 5m to Blackburn

Ji Park-Sung 4.5 mil to Deportivo

Man Utd 1st team Squad

Edwin VDS

Ben Foster

Neville

Simpson

Evra

O'Shea

Silvestre

Ferdinand

Vidic

Brown

Pique

Hargreaves

Banega

Silva

Ronaldo

Nani

Scholes

Gibson

Anderson

Eagles

Tevez

Rooney

Saha

Campbell

It's not a bad team but not the best. i have 25 million left to spend for Jan transfer market when it comes around.

Saha was top goalscorer in first season with 28 goals in 31 appearances but he is about 30 now i need to build for the future.

any suggestions? thanks in advance icon14.gif

I wouldn't have sold Carrick personally, you'll be able to replace him but probably gonna have to pay more than the 14.25M you received for him. Anyway, there are a few people that you need to get replacements for as they are getting on a bit now so:

EVDS needs replacing -Try for Akinfeev/Ustari

Your defence is ok but you need to think about a replacement for GN - Look at de Silvestri/Alaves

Long term you'll need to replace Silvestre - Look at Bale

Midfield is good although you may want to get a replacement for Scholesey as Gibson isn't up for it on most games - too many options to mention. Eagles isn't good enough but will do ok as backup.

I'm impressed you got that out of Saha, but you do need to replace him, depends on the style of ST you want but a couple of young-uns - Aguero/Karim Benzema.

Over all as you'd expect we have a strong squad and so it generally means replacing older players over time Silva was a great shout. Who you get/need depends on the formation you use. Hope that helps

Originally posted by Rico73:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by scottme01:

I wouldn't have sold Carrick personally, you'll be able to replace him but probably gonna have to pay more than the 14.25M you received for him. Anyway, there are a few people that you need to get replacements for as they are getting on a bit now so:

EVDS needs replacing -Try for Akinfeev/Ustari

Your defence is ok but you need to think about a replacement for GN - Look at de Silvestri/Alaves

Long term you'll need to replace Silvestre - Look at Bale

Midfield is good although you may want to get a replacement for Scholesey as Gibson isn't up for it on most games - too many options to mention. Eagles isn't good enough but will do ok as backup.

I'm impressed you got that out of Saha, but you do need to replace him, depends on the style of ST you want but a couple of young-uns - Aguero/Karim Benzema.

Over all as you'd expect we have a strong squad and so it generally means replacing older players over time Silva was a great shout. Who you get/need depends on the formation you use. Hope that helps </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

cheers for listing a few replacements i've got scout reports on the players you have mentioned and Benzema, silvestri and akinfeev have no asking price because the club do not want to sell the player so it means they are going to cost alot of money.

bale is going to set me back 15 million which is quite alot for a replacement for silvestre but the only good news is that dos santos from barca and hugo lloris's contract are expiring so going to try tempt those two away and they will hopefully replace VDS and scholes.

i play a simple 4-4-2 with one midfielder attacking and one defending. so dos santos would replace scholes in attacking mid slot. i'll let you know of how i do in january transfer window. thanks again icon14.gif

End of Winter Transfer Window Update

Squad

01112008145417rh0.th.jpg

have cut the squad down as a few people are on the transfer list and some are in the reserves

Transfers In/Out

Andrea Pirlo In - AC Milan - £5M

Darron Gibson Out - Blackburn - £5M & £10M after 1 Ireland apperence

Future Transfers In though icon_cool.gif

Bojan - Barca - £0

Mario Balotelli - Inter Milan - £0

Aarón - Valencia - £0

Pichu Atienza - Ath Madrid - £0

Meaning Tevez, Bent, Samba will be going in the summer

Will be facing Middlesboro in a FA Cup 5th round tie, Arsenal in a League Cup Final i expect to lose with my youngsters and face a pretty easy Benfica team in the CL Knockout rounds

season going well and i can't wait for Bojan icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by diontheace:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

I'm sure you've been asked before, but what skin is that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Black-In 2

Originally posted by Adiee:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deadmanwalking11:

what do you mean foster is to arrive?

I sold him to Barcelona a couple of seasons ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bet you regret that now icon_wink.gif

The thing is that I don't think O'Shea is good enough to actually start many games. I've got Cahais on loan to Antwerp but I'm not too sure about him either tbh. He's great defensively but doesn't add much to the attack and may not get a work permit if I bring him back. And Silvestre went to Pompey for £10m already. And I am sort of a winger short if you don't count Eagles. But I'm not too happy about Evra being on the wing. I'll leave it till the summer.

Archived