FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

Originally posted by xx11:

While on here... has anyone ever got the stadium expanded beyond 100k capacity? Been stuck at that for some years now and nearly sellout every game appart from early stage of league cup

Isn't the expansion capacity 100k? So you won't be able to expand it beyond that or you get a new stadium!!
Get a few more english players lads
There's just not enough good ones! I try to use the youth as much as possible, though e.g. Simpson, Martin, J.Evans.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Crazy Gra, a keeper has to be your main priority. Should be plenty about that can do. And if you got plenty of money you could always go for Cech as certain people here seem to love doing (i have not and will not sign him for united icon_razz.gif )

If not cech you got the usual list of keepers such as Ochoa, Ustari etc whom should be cheaper.

Other then that I would maybe look for another backup left back.. .not a big fan of Oshea as never seem to get a good performance from him.

My 19/19 scout have only found one gk in the whole world which he gives a 5-star rating; Andrew McDonald.

All the others he claims are equal to Foster, at best.

I'm not a big fan of O'Shea either, but he delivers rather good performances, so until I can trick Armand Traore to join me I'll stick with him.

well ive started a new game since i went about my current one the wrong way, selling evra to barca in first season and carrick shortly after etc. gonna try new game more based around a FPS like villa or someone instead of basing it around rooney + tevez. will let u know who i buy etc shortly icon_smile.gif

Well I have just finished my first season.

It went very well I won the following

English Premier league.

F.A Cup

League cup

ECL

I made a total of three signings which were.

Huntelaar 10m worth every penny

Fraga 500k a mexican GK think it was a bad signing

Breno 7.5m

Outs

Darren Flecther 7m

I will keeep you updated.

Ben icon_smile.gif

Guest jazz a bazz

Hello Manchester Utd thread, I have taken over as manager od Man Utd after guidng Birmingham City to 4th in the league, I am in the 2009/2010 season. So anyway here is my question, I seem to make a loss every month, have never spent more than I could afford, so can anybody tell me why I could be losing so much money. It's seriously affecting my signings and ofcourse my potential signings as I will only get a pittance from the chairman, also I dont want to sell any of my players as I feel I should only improve and not deplete my current squad. Please help.

Many thanks, Jazzabazz

ive just started a carrer as man utd manager as a cardiff city fan its nice to see some money with a team im managing now icon_smile.gif What i want to know is do you get more than the £10 million you start the season with? or do i have to offload a couple of players first? i asked the board for more money after spending £8 million on rafinha and theyve said no lol

Originally posted by jazz a bazz:

Hello Manchester Utd thread, I have taken over as manager od Man Utd after guidng Birmingham City to 4th in the league, I am in the 2009/2010 season. So anyway here is my question, I seem to make a loss every month, have never spent more than I could afford, so can anybody tell me why I could be losing so much money. It's seriously affecting my signings and ofcourse my potential signings as I will only get a pittance from the chairman, also I dont want to sell any of my players as I feel I should only improve and not deplete my current squad. Please help.

Many thanks, Jazzabazz

Aye it is usual to lose money if you havent got money making affiliates.. infact even with them money will be lost most months. You need a bit of success and savy in the transfer market to get the money in a good position.

If you dont want to sell players then you have to be a bit tight on the purchases to begin with, Im guessing the AI spent a few bob before you took over which would not give you the best balance in the world

I think your in the same boat as me mate, same point in the game, and it looks as if you need a GK and RB (like you pointed out).

Problem is, I cant seem to find a good goalkeeper were the club is willing to sell. I went for a Mexican called Alamo but he's had to be loaned out till he gains EU passport. I've also got Bouzanis but I'm gonna have to wait ages before he's ready.

Originally posted by Sheps.:

I think your in the same boat as me mate, same point in the game, and it looks as if you need a GK and RB (like you pointed out).

Problem is, I cant seem to find a good goalkeeper were the club is willing to sell. I went for a Mexican called Alamo but he's had to be loaned out till he gains EU passport. I've also got Bouzanis but I'm gonna have to wait ages before he's ready.

That was at 'ssaun is cool'.

Originally posted by ssaun is cool:

Goalkeeper (as VDS will be to old soon)

DL (If selling silvestre as listed as only backup)

DR

AM (Depends on how good Lulinha is mind you)

They the areas I would look at, though affording decent enough players is another matter unfortunately. Though as you only need backups then you probably can pick up someone that can do the job.

Deal or No Deal?

2nd season. £33m. Dani Alves. He's unsettled so the price is horrific but he'll go to Chelsea if I don't buy him so I'll probably never get the chance again. I've got £49m transfer budget. Have Neville and Brown to play at DR, but Neville is in decline now.

i've noticed that most people tend to sell fletcher.(i also sell early most of the time)

on my current game(just started second season) though i decided to keep him and he is now labelled an industious midfielder and has strong stats worth a first team place.

that good infact that my ASS MAN picks him in strongest squad on his team report. in front of hargreaves, nani and anderson. nuff said

Originally posted by bytheway:

i've noticed that most people tend to sell fletcher.(i also sell early most of the time)

on my current game(just started second season) though i decided to keep him and he is now labelled an industious midfielder and has strong stats worth a first team place.

that good infact that my ASS MAN picks him in strongest squad on his team report. in front of hargreaves, nani and anderson. nuff said

He decent enough aye, but others are far better. I wouldnt trust the AI to tie my shoelaces let alone pick my best 11 icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bytheway:

He decent enough aye, but others are far better. I wouldnt trust the AI to tie my shoelaces let alone pick my best 11 icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rofl! true mate.

Originally posted by crazy gra:

Deal or No Deal?

2nd season. £33m. Dani Alves. He's unsettled so the price is horrific but he'll go to Chelsea if I don't buy him so I'll probably never get the chance again. I've got £49m transfer budget. Have Neville and Brown to play at DR, but Neville is in decline now.

Hell no! Just keep delaying and bidding until the end of the transfer window so they don't get him. I got him for less than half that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xx11:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ssaun is cool:

Goalkeeper (as VDS will be to old soon)

DL (If selling silvestre as listed as only backup)

DR

AM (Depends on how good Lulinha is mind you)

They the areas I would look at, though affording decent enough players is another matter unfortunately. Though as you only need backups then you probably can pick up someone that can do the job. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you think Fabio could hack it as a back-up? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmm, he may be able to from the start of the 3rd season. He is actually pretty good for me but his tackling still poor. He more of an alrounder then a great attacking or defencive player. that said he is now worth 10.25million and im constantly turning down 20million bids from arsenal and chelsea for him.

I'm getting sick of teams asking how much i will sell Sakho for, and when i tell them to go sing they come out with an offer for him...

He ended up as my only LB cover when evra was KO'd for 5 months and it was just after the Jan transfer window. So i played him, only 18 with decent stats. He made some mistakes but i knew he would. Next thing i know he's getting 8/9's every game. I kept a clean sheet for 10 games cause of him and now, 2 seasons on after he's made a name for himself, people won't back off.

Is there any way of tell teams that there is no way in hell that i'm selling a player? Short of a new contract with a £120 min release claus?

Originally posted by Evon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazy gra:

Deal or No Deal?

Hell no! Just keep delaying and bidding until the end of the transfer window so they don't get him. I got him for less than half that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think I'll do that. I don't need him atm and £33m is too much.

He's actually a pretty good player. Not as good as Scholes or Andy but will do a job. I will definitely try to make him first team on my 8.0.2 game.

Originally posted by R-dizzle:

I'm getting sick of teams asking how much i will sell Sakho for, and when i tell them to go sing they come out with an offer for him...

He ended up as my only LB cover when evra was KO'd for 5 months and it was just after the Jan transfer window. So i played him, only 18 with decent stats. He made some mistakes but i knew he would. Next thing i know he's getting 8/9's every game. I kept a clean sheet for 10 games cause of him and now, 2 seasons on after he's made a name for himself, people won't back off.

Is there any way of tell teams that there is no way in hell that i'm selling a player? Short of a new contract with a £120 min release claus?

Try changing his transfer status to 'indespensible' or whatever the top one is for keeping him, and also put his asking price up to £120m.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazy gra:

Deal or No Deal?

Hell no! Just keep delaying and bidding until the end of the transfer window so they don't get him. I got him for less than half that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you get him for that kinda price? Which season?

Btw, regarding unsettling a player. Do you keep praising and showing interest even if he gives a negative response?

Originally posted by jiunnshuan:

Btw, regarding unsettling a player. Do you keep praising and showing interest even if he gives a negative response?

No definately not, if you get a negative response you've been praising him too much and he wont want to move clubs. Praise him about once per month icon14.gif

Just starting my second season with Utd after winning the treble, didnt sign any one in the first but signed Berbatov for £20million plus £5million of installments. That was going to be it but then Lahm became available so i snapped him up for £15.5 million after he fell out with his boss (Benitez lol). And what a signing hes been, very consistent and scored a couple aswell... highy recomended. Alot of people seem to be having problems with Tevez but hes been nothing but a pleasure for me... he scored 4 hattricks last season and in big matches is often the matchwinner.

1 and a half seasons into my United game, just thought I'd ask for opinions and or recommendations on my squad currently:

First Season

Transfers in:

Mark Noble -- West Ham -- £6m Looks a bad signing, not improving as I had hoped.

Ever Banega -- Boca -- £3.5m Good price and decent backup.

Manuel Fischer -- Stuttgart -- £7m Good young striker, gonna be great on my game.

Transfers out:

Darren Fletcher -- Sevilla -- £7.5m Not sure about price, I was happy though

Kieran Lee -- Charlton -- £750k

Adam Eckersley -- Swansea -- £675k

Zieler -- Wolfsburg -- £80k (plus 50 cent sell-on) My assistant slated him so...

Second Season

Transfers in:

Lulinha -- Corinthians -- £2.8m Everybody loves him on here... Not impressed yet.

Georginio Wijnaldum -- Feyenoord -- £1m Just love him, developing brilliantly

Alex -- Vasco -- £2m Think he's gonna outshine Lulinha..

Antonio Lopez -- Atletico Madrid -- £13.75m Signed as replacement for Evra.

Rafael and Fabio -- Fluminense -- £1.2m each Fabio rated more highly, but, Rafael seems better.

Transfers Out:

Sean Evans -- Dag & Red -- £200k

Patrice Evra -- Inter -- £22.5m Board accepted on my behalf.

John O'Shea -- Celta -- £3.5m Needed to get rid of him

Tomasz Kuszczak -- Villa -- £8m Seemed a good price and wasn't happy at not getting a game.

Scott Moffatt -- Stoke -- £110k Young, crap player in my eyes. (35 per cent sell-on).

Gary Woods -- Birmingham -- £50k (plus £1m after 10 league/50 per cent sell-on) Meh.

Released loads of others on frees.

Current Squad

GK: Edwin Van Der Sar

Ben Foster

DR: Gary Neville

Wes Brown/ Rafael (need a new right back me thinks)

DL: Antonio Lopez

Silvestre

DC: Rio Ferdinand

Vidic

Pique

Jonny Evans/ Cathcart

DM: Hargreaves

Carrick

Gibson

MR: Wijnaldum

Nani

ML: Ronaldo

Alex

Giggs is last resort

AM: Anderson

Lulinha

ST: Rooney

Fischer

Macheda (for some reason he's brilliant on my game)

Brandy

January Transfers:

Coming in: Erminio Rullo (backup left back) £1.1m

Genero Zeefuik (Extra Striker) £5m

Planning to sell:

Saha -- Injury prone, like real life icon_frown.gif

Tevez -- Little trouble maker and I can't cope no more

Giggs -- I think there's an injury proneness disease here, even though this one is old.

Silvestre -- Getting on

Ji Sung Park -- Hoping to cash in.

Maybe Mark Noble-- He's just been dissapointing.

Got £34.5m (take off £6.1m -- £28.4m) to spend, so where to spend it?

should have done better than mark noble

Originally posted by jiunnshuan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Evon:

Deal or No Deal?

Hell no! Just keep delaying and bidding until the end of the transfer window so they don't get him. I got him for less than half that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you get him for that kinda price? Which season?

Btw, regarding unsettling a player. Do you keep praising and showing interest even if he gives a negative response? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Luck and brilliance. He was on the transfer list. I probably could have got him for less but I cba. He's well worth it though.

Originally posted by Sheps.:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jiunnshuan:

No definately not, if you get a negative response you've been praising him too much and he wont want to move clubs. Praise him about once per month icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>W-Sheps-said. Doesn't matter if you get a negative response unless you've praised/declared interest more than once a month, you will get that from players who don't want to leave, but keep declaring interest/praising once a month as well as putting in bids and anyone will get unsettled (unless your club is a lot worse than their current, they're at their favourite club or they're extremely loyal).

Thats possible. But i also ended up giving him about 20 games in a row in the first team because Evra was out for 5 months. Thats probably the best way to get anything out of him. Some of the ones you've got tho i've never heard of lol. My scouts don't come up with anything like that except the usually Henri, Baxter Lulianha or whatever his name is(Who is pants in my game... just like Aaron)

Think i should sack them and get better ones

Originally posted by diontheace:

Dion's Youngsters

[Goalkeepers

David De Gea

daviddegeavs6.th.jpg

Could be a decent backup but nothing special

Giorgi Makaridze

giorgimakaridzegp4.th.jpg

Could have been brilliant if it weren't for poor stats in key areas.

Joris Delle

jorisdelleeu8.th.jpg

Again could be a decent backup.

Defenders

Alberto Locatelli

albertolocatellixt1.th.jpg

Could be brilliant if you get his positioning up. Pretty good everywhere else.

Craig Cathcart

craigcathcartin6.th.jpg

Same as on my game. Too slow.

Mamadou Sakho

mamadousakhokk4.th.jpg

Same on my game again. But slower and worse mentally.

Midfielders

Anton Sosnin

antonsosninqq6.th.jpg

Pretty good all round but not absolutely amazing yet. Looks a good prospect though.

Gabriel Torje

gabrieltorjeln7.th.jpg

Decent winger but not a striker.

Genero Zeefuik

generozeefuikgd0.th.jpg

Great technically but not fast or good in the air. Nor is he a poacher.

Georginio Wijnaldum

georginiowijnaldumok0.th.jpg

Pretty bloody good. Not as fast as on my game but still very good.

Levan Kenia

levankeniaia3.th.jpg

Basically the same as Sosnin.

Marko Marin

markomarined6.th.jpg

Bloody brilliant.

Strikers

Andrew Demetriou

andrewdemetriouob6.th.jpg

Useless

Chris Bentley

chrisbentleyox3.th.jpg

It's the same screenie as the one above...

Christian Nazarith

christiannazarithou6.th.jpg

Could be a good TM.

Henri Saivet

henrisaivetao0.th.jpg

Similar on my game, he's ffffb

John Fleck

johnfleckxn6.th.jpg

Good technically but not fast enough to be on the wing or up front and can't head

Jose Baxter

josebaxterth3.th.jpg

Decent but nothing special

Jozy Altidore

jozyaltidorejq7.th.jpg

He looks pretty good and can jump too

Nikita Andrejev

nikitaandrejevtu6.th.jpg

He looks like he could be a ffffb FS or poacher. Average technique and OTB may not help though.

In my game I decided to buy most of my scouts suggested targets, and I'd like your opinions on them, a few were a bit pitiful, but these are the youngsters (Cathcart, Demetriou and Bentley are from my own youth system of course) that I've signed, opinions very welcome, who you think could make the first team ect.

Heh, Newcastle just dropped from a midtable 13th down to relegation zone (18th) thanks to being the first team in the league to go into administration. Surprised this took till March 2014 to see happen.

Anyways, shame I dont need any players. So far I could have Diaby for 1.2million (rated 6.5million) and lennon for 1.2million (rated 7million). But as I dont need any players Im just having a laugh to see how cheap the administrators will let the players go for icon_razz.gif

Buy them and sell them on.

may do that when i see the lowest mark they will accept. and players need to take a massive paycut as lennon on 91k a week. I aint paying him that to sit around till a purchaser comes along!

Not very realistic doing that, which is why i dont really get people on a bosman unless i want to use them a bit. But hey, I will view it as helping newcastle out of trouble icon_razz.gif Afteral Goldstein is on loan to them and may just secure their safety if they are lucky

Guys, I'm in 2011 and I just can't get anyone to make a bid for my players. I'm trying to get rid of Frazier Campbell but even with 'Transfer Listed' 'not needed by club' and an asking price of £0 no-one will make an offer. Absolute Joke!

Trying to play Rooney and Huntelar up font together but neither scoring many! I have Rooney as follows:

Menatlity: 15

CF: 15

CD: 18

FW: Allways

RWB: Allways

TTB: Mixed

TLS: Mixed

CB: Mixed

Free Role: ON

Huntelaar`s are

Menatlity: 18

CF: 10

CD: 18

FW: Mixed

RWB: Allways

TTB: Mixed

TLS: Mixed

CB: Mixed.

can anybody see what Im doing wrong?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Rico73:

Guys, I'm in 2011 and I just can't get anyone to make a bid for my players. I'm trying to get rid of Frazier Campbell but even with 'Transfer Listed' 'not needed by club' and an asking price of £0 no-one will make an offer. Absolute Joke!

Yes it is a joke that you're trying to sell Campbell. He's bloody FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFB.

Phily69-That's similar to my insrtuction for Rooney but I would have him with FWR Mixed, CB Rarely and HUB ticked. Also take his creativity down to normal or take him off free role. It either high creativity or free role. Both won't work. And I'd have Huntelaar with TTB, TLS and CB rarely and FWR often unless he gets caught offside alot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rico73:

He may be in your game but he's not good enough in mine! Certainly not as good as Rooney, Tevez, Aguero or Saviet! Not really the point though, it is a major problem selling players.

Yes it is a joke that you're trying to sell Campbell. He's bloody FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFB.

Phily69-That's similar to my insrtuction for Rooney but I would have him with FWR Mixed, CB Rarely and HUB ticked. Also take his creativity down to normal or take him off free role. It either high creativity or free role. Both won't work. And I'd have Huntelaar with TTB, TLS and CB rarely and FWR often unless he gets caught offside alot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He hasn't improved in my game. But he's still prolific. Possibly the next Micheal Owen icon_cool.gif And he's better than Saivet and Tevez. Trust me, I know. I have them all. Though Saivet is pretty good if you just get Rooney to tutor him.

Oh and selling players is simple. Just know when to offer players around eg. right after you get your budget as other clubs get their budgets too and playing him would help raise the profile. Then offer him around for nothing, watch the offers flood in and offer again to your own valuation over 24 months. If nobody offers still, just loan him out.

Campbell was probably the only semi decent player from the start I wanted to shift and couldnt. Gave him a couple of years and he just wasnt good enough but no-one wanted him.. He ended up just going on a free transfer and eventually Leicester picked him up for their championship side. Even there he hardly got a game and when he did wasnt that good.

Ah well here we go. It is that time of the year again. The season is over and the team finally done that which I been hoping to acheive from the outset. We got every trophy back to Old Trafford. Many difficult games and in the FA cup and Champions league I felt at times I was not going to win it. Arsenal created more chances but my squad managed to make theirs count. That and Corrandi was outstanding in goal icon_smile.gif

Ronaldo was the prems top scorer, not bad considering he played from MR. But Rooney and Rossi were just a single goal behind him. It was nice to take the top 3 places in the goalscorer chart for the league.

Bojan in the cup was outstanding, putting the goals away. Highly recommend him to people that want a natural finisher.

Rio is retiring this year to become a coach. In order to thank him he made appearances in the final league game, FA Cup and Champion League finals. Had to let him go in a blaze of glory.

Gary Neville left my coach staff to manage Newcastle this season. He probably regrets it because they then proceeded into administration and been relegated. They were 3points from safety but the relegation is their own fault. Birmingham finished 3 points ahead, and the second from last game saw newcastle fall to a 1-0 defeat to them, a result there would have kept them safe due to superior goal difference.

We have now gone 156 prem games without losing, few draws picked up but really walked the league. My side truelly has been amazing. We lost a couple of matches in the knockout round of the cups, but won on aggregate so it wasn't the perfect season I was dreaming off but it was a good go at that.

In total I had about 32 players out on loan this season which leaves me with a dilema again, especially as some these players done brilliant in top flight football. Had players on loan in the prem, seria A and La Liga, however I do not want scenes out of Zulu whilst players are training so I probably going to have to cut my squad down a bit. Nani was running out of contract but I couldnt bare to let him go as there was no interest in him. Gave him a 4 year contract and will just loan him out, even if I have to pay his full wages. Want him to have a career even if it not in my squad. real pitty he not up to scratch icon_frown.gif

Offers are starting to come in for some my players, lot of interest in my defenders mainly. Have to really think through the decisions now as though some players are top quality if I can get the money for them and say, replace a foriegn player with another youngster that been trained up then it may be worth it. I really need to start forming my English based team. Problem is I cant have an all England team till the likes of Ronaldo retire which wont be for quite a number of seasons yet.

My stadium is constantly packed, average attendance of 95396 across all competitions. Average attendance in league was 99710. Think 100k is indeed the limit on OT's capacity and though Im sure I could get alot more people into a larger stadium I wouldnt want to leave OT behind so I am not bugging the board about that situation.

I will try to display how some of the youth players have developed come 2014 later tonight, but the future looks good for my team icon_smile.gif

My first post ever !!!

Just wanna say that Man united rule!!!

I have read all the whole thread on man utd... TBH with everyone Ustari is not as good as you think he is... his Stats are alright but I have played him for 6 months on my first team because van der sar was out for that period... He has conceded 17 goals in 19 matches!!! but dont worry I have Tevez and Rooney to gain a good result in the end of those games... But I was totally shocked with the fact that he cost me 17.5 million... his stats is better than van dar sar...

I got rid of fletcher, Park, kuschak at the start of the season...

I have only bought Heitinga for 5 million when he was on injury... Quality player... Plays in nearly all defensive positions... Even as a sweeper...

and I have to recommend Danny Simpson... What a quality player too... Stats is useless but he defends better than hargreaves... always at the right place at the right time... great pace to replace gary neville... he can even play as right winger... although it does not state on his position status but I have used him for the whole first season... Man of the match 5 times... Scored 8 goals in 15 matches as right midfielder...

I am playing a 4-3-3 formation

GK- Van der sar

RB- Simpson/ O'shea

LB- Evra/ Silvestre

CB- Vidic/ Pique

CB- Ferdinand/ Heitinga

RW- Giggs/ Nani/ Evra

LW- Ronaldo/ Nani/ Simpson

AM- Carrick/ Anderson

DM- Scholes/ Hargreaves

FC- Tevez/ Saha/ Rooney

Archived