FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Marc Lister:

Ooh just asked the board for a new feeder club. However since I've been boss for "some time now" (18th December 2008) they have given me a choice of which feeder club type. So I can choose from:

Any type

National loan/First option

Work permit

Commercial link

International loan/First option

Which type of club link should I go for? What would benefit me/Utd the most? I have the following clubs as my feeder teams and their link type in brackets:

Aberdeen (national loan/first option)

Antwerp (work permit)

Bury (no benefit)

Connah's Quay (first option)

Fluminese (first option)

Gamba (Japan) (commercial link)

New England (USA) (commercial link)

Newport Co (first option)

Paramatta Eagles (Australia) (first option)

Shelbourne (first option)

Sporting CP (first option)

Either get a Polish feeder club, as it's only 2 years to get a WP, or an English Championship team and get them promoted with your youth!

Originally posted by Skinaldo:

which man utd youth turn into very good players? i know welbeck will irl from what ive seen anyway from reserves and the hype around old trafford.

p.s. does any1 have a ps3 lol? add me ( drewso) call of duty 4 hehe

Cathcart

Evans

Brandy

Lee

Gibson

Welbeck

All are looking good on my game late second season

Ok. I will do my old man update. This post is in relation to the Older Man Utd players that have retired, the aim of which is to show what they have gone on to do. Later following this I may try and give a career history of other players that have left the club at the early stages (ie fletcher etc)

So lets make a start with the old club captain. Gary Neville

Gary remained as part of the squad until the end of 2009/10 season, however he had only been making appearances in cup matches since 07/08 as he never managed to fight his way back in after injury.

Player career history

So Gary already begun to forge himself a long term career, but he appears to be rather... fickle... and not standing by his decisions.

He started of coaching for me, and made a good defencive coach,

Neville Staff Profile

However he decided to go into management and left the club in 2014 to manage Newcastle. The chalice is still poisoned though and no doubt he regrets it. For in his first season in charge at Newcastle he saw them go into Administration, and to make matters worse the point deduction relegated them to the Championship.

So what did Neville do? Stand by the club? Nope, the going was getting tough so he jumped ship straight into the lucrative job od Bayern Munich Manager. Unfortunately this is a league that I am not running, I forgot to select some I wanted (Ie scotland, france, germany icon_redface.gif ) so will not really know what is going to happen with his team.

Neville staff achievement history

And from this final screenshot you will note that he hasnt been the most successful of managers, he has only won roughly 26% of his matches

Neville Staff History

Next up is Edwin van der Sar

Edwin remained as part of the squad until the end of the 08/09 season,

VDS Player History

and even though he remained a regular player he wisely choose to retire before he lost his status as a United great. He opted to remain at the club in the capacity of a Goalkeeping coach, a role he is suited for. Here he has remained, happy in just continuing in his work improving the up and coming youngsters.

VDS staff profile

Now for the tenacious ginger lad. Paul Scholes

Well Scholesy ended his career in at the end of 08/09 season. He only had been playing a bit part due to the youngsters pushing through the side and decided to pass on his knowledge on the training ground.

Scholes career history

Since then he has been a coach, mainly focused on attacking training, however surprisingly he is a decent defence coach if needed him though with all his missed timed tackles I dont think it advised that he teaches people them skills!

Scholes Staff Profile

The list continues, this time it is the Welshman, Ryan Giggs

Giggs still played quite a few games in his retirement season of 2008/09 but he just wasnt up to it anymore and he knew it,

Giggs Career History

as such he decided to retire from playing and join the coaching staff, and by the looks of things he will one day go on to become a manager. Be a shame to lose him from the staff but cant hold him back

Giggs Profile

They just keep coming, I guess I am just such a good manager players want to stay on my staff, it is the turn of Mr Rio Ferdinand

Rio remained part of the squad until the 2012/13 season. He had spent time as the captain and the vice captain before finishing up, in his final season he participated in every final, all which were won. Great way to end his career.

Rio Career History

The lad is not a great coach yet, but he is still new to the job so there time for his improvement, he even can give a decent assessment of players which could come in handy. Be interesting to see how he develops, if he gets technically knowledgable he would make a decent assistant in future possibly.

Rio Staff Profile

We are almost there for the ex-pro's that are now on my staff. Its the turn of the French. Mikaël Silvestre

The lad just didnt want to give up his playing career in his early 30's even though he wasnt getting a game. He finally retired after 2011/12 after 3 seasons of basically not playing a game.

Silvestre Career history

Now if this guy wasnt French icon_razz.gif then he would have a good chance of becoming the Assistant Manager, but for now he remains a strong Coach.

Silvestre Profile

Finally, a man disliked by many. A man that couldnt find a job when his football career ended, yes another French man. Even with all his bad points, I present Louis Saha

Saha career under my management was short. He was sold off to Spurs early on where he saw out his days until he retired in 2012/13. He gained his coaching badges and yet remained unemployed until I picked him up in 2014.

Saha Career history

Saha employment history

The lad is a strong coach, and since the profile picture has improved more. Surprise is fitness coaching. A man made from glass is a good choice to tell people what not to do! This is another French person who appears to have his eyes set on management eventually.

Saha Profile

Conclusions!

Well what can I say, whatever you do, convince your players to become coaches as you will get some gems for your staff.

Great update there, xx11. Nice to see so many players making coaches, but I reckon there looks like there's a bug in the determination stat. Could be a conincidence that most are low, but considering people like Scholes and Giggs as players have great determination, it seems quite odd.

Now if this guy wasnt French...
icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

One thing I got to point out, they werent this good at first. You need to give them a year to really improve their coaching abilities. Not that it mattered to me as I got a load of staff due to fact you can hire your players as coaches even if the board wont let you sign other coaches icon_smile.gif

O.K starting a new game as United as i havent went them for a while so i'm basically just looking for some help and suggestions to improve the team.

First of all i will need a replacement for Saha but i only have £10m to spend at the minute. I should be able to get some more after i sell a few players which brings me to my next point:

Who do you think is worth keeping and who should be sold?

I also feel i will need a replacement for giggs soon so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Rydo L:

O.K starting a new game as United as i havent went them for a while so i'm basically just looking for some help and suggestions to improve the team.

First of all i will need a replacement for Saha but i only have £10m to spend at the minute. I should be able to get some more after i sell a few players which brings me to my next point:

I also feel i will need a replacement for giggs soon so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

There is a guide to starting as man u on this thread somewhere. Someone may be able to help you with the pag number - but I would guess it's mid 20's.

Anyway - I would buy Owen or Love.

I would also sort out deals for the best youngsters - saviet, breno, wjiindlum (sp)Luiinha (sp), Baxter, zeefiek, Banega

As for selling players - 2nd season sell Kuszizck but 1st season I would sell a few of the expensive resevres - Bardsley etc

You will find that both Frazier Campbell and Dong Fanzhugo are good back ups and you may wawnt to keep one or both.

I normally sell Park when fit and maybe silvestre and or O'shea - but you do need a back up for LB if you sell both.

Sell Fletcher if you want as you have enough CM's and Gibson is good back up in the reserves. So is Simpson for RB.

I found that I only needed to bring in Owen and the youngsters though in the first season.

Anyone know how much Owen would set me back in the 1st season?

I'm selling Saha by the way and was thinking of Owen as a replacement.

You should be able to get him for the 9.5M figure that is apparently his release figue IRL, he'll do the job for a few seasons whilst some of the youngsters come through.

Yeh he should still have it, and it might be at £9M actually. So start at 9m and if thats rejected then go for the 9.5m icon14.gif And iirc they have taken Owens release clause out of the newest patch since he signed a contract at the beginning of the season which didnt include a 'get-out' clause.

Also, £33.5m for Silva! icon_eek.gif I was I could get him for that. icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by xx11:

Ok. I will do my old man update. This post is in relation to the Older Man Utd players that have retired, the aim of which is to show what they have gone on to do. Later following this I may try and give a career history of other players that have left the club at the early stages (ie fletcher etc)

So lets make a start with the old club captain. Gary Neville

Gary remained as part of the squad until the end of 2009/10 season, however he had only been making appearances in cup matches since 07/08 as he never managed to fight his way back in after injury.

Player career history

So Gary already begun to forge himself a long term career, but he appears to be rather... fickle... and not standing by his decisions.

He started of coaching for me, and made a good defencive coach,

Neville Staff Profile

However he decided to go into management and left the club in 2014 to manage Newcastle. The chalice is still poisoned though and no doubt he regrets it. For in his first season in charge at Newcastle he saw them go into Administration, and to make matters worse the point deduction relegated them to the Championship.

So what did Neville do? Stand by the club? Nope, the going was getting tough so he jumped ship straight into the lucrative job od Bayern Munich Manager. Unfortunately this is a league that I am not running, I forgot to select some I wanted (Ie scotland, france, germany icon_redface.gif ) so will not really know what is going to happen with his team.

Neville staff achievement history

And from this final screenshot you will note that he hasnt been the most successful of managers, he has only won roughly 26% of his matches

Neville Staff History

Next up is Edwin van der Sar

Edwin remained as part of the squad until the end of the 08/09 season,

VDS Player History

and even though he remained a regular player he wisely choose to retire before he lost his status as a United great. He opted to remain at the club in the capacity of a Goalkeeping coach, a role he is suited for. Here he has remained, happy in just continuing in his work improving the up and coming youngsters.

VDS staff profile

Now for the tenacious ginger lad. Paul Scholes

Well Scholesy ended his career in at the end of 08/09 season. He only had been playing a bit part due to the youngsters pushing through the side and decided to pass on his knowledge on the training ground.

Scholes career history

Since then he has been a coach, mainly focused on attacking training, however surprisingly he is a decent defence coach if needed him though with all his missed timed tackles I dont think it advised that he teaches people them skills!

Scholes Staff Profile

The list continues, this time it is the Welshman, Ryan Giggs

Giggs still played quite a few games in his retirement season of 2008/09 but he just wasnt up to it anymore and he knew it,

Giggs Career History

as such he decided to retire from playing and join the coaching staff, and by the looks of things he will one day go on to become a manager. Be a shame to lose him from the staff but cant hold him back

Giggs Profile

They just keep coming, I guess I am just such a good manager players want to stay on my staff, it is the turn of Mr Rio Ferdinand

Rio remained part of the squad until the 2012/13 season. He had spent time as the captain and the vice captain before finishing up, in his final season he participated in every final, all which were won. Great way to end his career.

Rio Career History

The lad is not a great coach yet, but he is still new to the job so there time for his improvement, he even can give a decent assessment of players which could come in handy. Be interesting to see how he develops, if he gets technically knowledgable he would make a decent assistant in future possibly.

Rio Staff Profile

We are almost there for the ex-pro's that are now on my staff. Its the turn of the French. Mikaël Silvestre

The lad just didnt want to give up his playing career in his early 30's even though he wasnt getting a game. He finally retired after 2011/12 after 3 seasons of basically not playing a game.

Silvestre Career history

Now if this guy wasnt French icon_razz.gif then he would have a good chance of becoming the Assistant Manager, but for now he remains a strong Coach.

Silvestre Profile

Finally, a man disliked by many. A man that couldnt find a job when his football career ended, yes another French man. Even with all his bad points, I present Louis Saha

Saha career under my management was short. He was sold off to Spurs early on where he saw out his days until he retired in 2012/13. He gained his coaching badges and yet remained unemployed until I picked him up in 2014.

Saha Career history

Saha employment history

The lad is a strong coach, and since the profile picture has improved more. Surprise is fitness coaching. A man made from glass is a good choice to tell people what not to do! This is another French person who appears to have his eyes set on management eventually.

Saha Profile

Conclusions!

Well what can I say, whatever you do, convince your players to become coaches as you will get some gems for your staff.

Nice post mate

Originally posted by deadmanwalking11:

How did you concince them to retire so early?

1) Dont renew contract if no one showing interest. Leave it till a month or two before the contract ends and try to give them just a 1yr contract. Normally also means you can get their wages right down.

2) Dont play them for the sake of playing them. If they are not up to scratch I only used them in emergancies. Though it hard not to bring them on due to name. Minimal appearances mean they are being told that they are too old now icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by Hitchy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rydo L:

Thanks in advance.

There is a guide to starting as man u on this thread somewhere. Someone may be able to help you with the pag number - but I would guess it's mid 20's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>3/4 of the way down page 40 icon14.gif

Originally posted by xx11:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deadmanwalking11:

How did you concince them to retire so early?

1) Dont renew contract if no one showing interest. Leave it till a month or two before the contract ends and try to give them just a 1yr contract. Normally also means you can get their wages right down.

2) Dont play them for the sake of playing them. If they are not up to scratch I only used them in emergancies. Though it hard not to bring them on due to name. Minimal appearances mean they are being told that they are too old now icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're better than the rest. Their stats are declining but they're still good even if they can't run. And Anderson play much too badly every single time I play him for me not to play Scholes. I'll try that with Neville though icon14.gif and maybe Giggs if he keeps going down and I get a replacement. Neville is actually the only one not declining though.

My Man Utd team, (as of Sept 08)

Formation 4-3-1-2 (two central midfielders with arrows pointing out to wings)

GK - Foster

DR - Dani Alves

DC - Steven Taylor

DC - Ferdinand

DL - Marcelo

MC/R - Fletcher/Bentley

MC - Hargreaves

MC/L - Giggs

AMC - Tevez/Scholes/Kallstrom

FC - Owen

FC - Rooney

Won Premier League, Carling Cup and FA Cup in first season with slightly different team, Neville instead of Alves at right back. Marcelo has also been bought and is proving to be a bargain.

Look for the CL this season though - got knocked out by Barca 3-0 at home in the second leg last year of the semis. icon_redface.gif

Please tell me what you think of the side. Sold Ronaldo for £37M to Madrid because he was injured all the time and wasn't playing well when in the side.

quote:

Originally posted by Hitchy:

quote:

Thanks in advance.

There is a guide to starting as man u on this thread somewhere. Someone may be able to help you with the pag number - but I would guess it's mid 20's.

3/4 of the way down page 40

cheers mate, i'll have a look at that just now.

O.K i'm in Sep 07 just after the first transfer window. Everything is going well at the moment sitting top of the league W3 D1 L0 Rooney is on fire just scored a hatrick in my last game.

So this is my transfers in and out:

Ins:

Saivet - 350k

Sakho - 350k

Aaritalo - 40k

Owen - 9m

Barzagli - 12.25m

Traore - 3m

Outs:

Eckersley - 700k

Fangzhuo - 3.5m

Lee martin - 3.5m

Fletcher - 14m

Bardsley - 4m

Eagles - 5m

J.Evans - Loan

Simpson - Loan

Only have 1m left so will have to wait till January if i want any more players.

A few of my targets in the future will be Bojan, Dos Santos, M.Fernandez, Vela and a few others. Will update soon....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Please tell me what you think of the side. Sold Ronaldo for £37M to Madrid because he was injured all the time and wasn't playing well when in the side.

Selling Ronaldo for that price is a joke.

In fact, selling him at all is a joke. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sigh... icon_razz.gif

...He didn't fit in. Taylor-Ferdinand defensive partnership is perfect. And Evon, what do you mean Marcelo is the worst left back? He's played well for me. Fletcher was great last season and Bentley's beginning to play well.

It's results and form that count in the team tbh, and Ronaldo has never played well for me. Maybe its the formation. icon_confused.gif

Anyway, keep going. icon_biggrin.gif

He cannot defend to save his life. He can't tackle, mark, his mental stats defensively are ***** too. He's a good left winger but that's it. And Fletcher can't cross dribble and is slow. What kind of winger is that? You may as well start over because selling Ronaldo for that price is just a terrible, terrible decision.

Originally posted by Evon:

He cannot defend to save his life. He can't tackle, mark, his mental stats defensively are ***** too. He's a good left winger but that's it. And Fletcher can't cross dribble and is slow. What kind of winger is that? You may as well start over because selling Ronaldo for that price is just a terrible, terrible decision.

It's results that count icon_wink.gif

1 Premier League trophy, 1 FA Cup and 1 Carling Cup and a Champions League semi final in 1 year doesn't seem that bad.

Archived