FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aston Villa want Ben Foster. He's worth £4.4m but I've made them offer £15m over 24 months. Go for it? Or shall I try and make it £20m and see if they fall for it?

If I do sell who should I get to replace him? Playing Foster as backup to Hugo Lloris and VDS' contract is up at the end of the season and won't get renewed. Kuszchak gone ages ago.

Originally posted by Jack Edwards:

Take it Marc - Then buy Fraga

Hi Jack. Thanks for replying. icon_smile.gif

Fraga as in Miguel Angel Fraga?

Originally posted by Jack Edwards:

And, why do we only get 13M at the start? Does it go up in season 2?

I think it does yes. icon_smile.gif

Aston Villa want Ben Foster. He's worth £4.4m but I've made them offer £15m over 24 months. Go for it? Or shall I try and make it £20m and see if they fall for it?

If I do sell who should I get to replace him? Playing Foster as backup to Hugo Lloris and VDS' contract is up at the end of the season and won't get renewed. Kuszchak gone ages ago.

i sold benny for 16.5 mill (24months) to villa icon_smile.gif got ochoa for 6.5mill and hes been outstanding

No, Not yet Dave, have you been using one of it?

using v3 buddy just a case of out scoring my opponent in most games due to the lack of defensive cohesion in the tactic icon_smile.gif

cant complain tho as it won me all 4 trophies in the 1st season and won me the treble in 2nd season

Hi, This is my team in October of the third season. What do you guys think? Won League and Champions League first season, League and FA Cup, and lost CL Final second season.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj187/kickingbirdfm/Picture2.png

and heres my tactic

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj187/kickingbirdfm/Picture1.png

nice squad kicking bird, id probably invest in a right back if i were you icon_smile.gif how much did messi set you back?

Originally posted by liverpool-fc:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rydo L:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Please tell me what you think of the side. Sold Ronaldo for £37M to Madrid because he was injured all the time and wasn't playing well when in the side.

Selling Ronaldo for that price is a joke.

In fact, selling him at all is a joke. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sigh... icon_razz.gif

...He didn't fit in. Taylor-Ferdinand defensive partnership is perfect. And Evon, what do you mean Marcelo is the worst left back? He's played well for me. Fletcher was great last season and Bentley's beginning to play well.

It's results and form that count in the team tbh, and Ronaldo has never played well for me. Maybe its the formation. icon_confused.gif

Anyway, keep going. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you sold Ronaldo on the CHEAP

Originally posted by xx11:

Ok. I will do my old man update. This post is in relation to the Older Man Utd players that have retired, the aim of which is to show what they have gone on to do. Later following this I may try and give a career history of other players that have left the club at the early stages (ie fletcher etc)

what skin are you using ?

So lets make a start with the old club captain. Gary Neville

Gary remained as part of the squad until the end of 2009/10 season, however he had only been making appearances in cup matches since 07/08 as he never managed to fight his way back in after injury.

Player career history

So Gary already begun to forge himself a long term career, but he appears to be rather... fickle... and not standing by his decisions.

He started of coaching for me, and made a good defencive coach,

Neville Staff Profile

However he decided to go into management and left the club in 2014 to manage Newcastle. The chalice is still poisoned though and no doubt he regrets it. For in his first season in charge at Newcastle he saw them go into Administration, and to make matters worse the point deduction relegated them to the Championship.

So what did Neville do? Stand by the club? Nope, the going was getting tough so he jumped ship straight into the lucrative job od Bayern Munich Manager. Unfortunately this is a league that I am not running, I forgot to select some I wanted (Ie scotland, france, germany icon_redface.gif ) so will not really know what is going to happen with his team.

Neville staff achievement history

And from this final screenshot you will note that he hasnt been the most successful of managers, he has only won roughly 26% of his matches

Neville Staff History

Next up is Edwin van der Sar

Edwin remained as part of the squad until the end of the 08/09 season,

VDS Player History

and even though he remained a regular player he wisely choose to retire before he lost his status as a United great. He opted to remain at the club in the capacity of a Goalkeeping coach, a role he is suited for. Here he has remained, happy in just continuing in his work improving the up and coming youngsters.

VDS staff profile

Now for the tenacious ginger lad. Paul Scholes

Well Scholesy ended his career in at the end of 08/09 season. He only had been playing a bit part due to the youngsters pushing through the side and decided to pass on his knowledge on the training ground.

Scholes career history

Since then he has been a coach, mainly focused on attacking training, however surprisingly he is a decent defence coach if needed him though with all his missed timed tackles I dont think it advised that he teaches people them skills!

Scholes Staff Profile

The list continues, this time it is the Welshman, Ryan Giggs

Giggs still played quite a few games in his retirement season of 2008/09 but he just wasnt up to it anymore and he knew it,

Giggs Career History

as such he decided to retire from playing and join the coaching staff, and by the looks of things he will one day go on to become a manager. Be a shame to lose him from the staff but cant hold him back

Giggs Profile

They just keep coming, I guess I am just such a good manager players want to stay on my staff, it is the turn of Mr Rio Ferdinand

Rio remained part of the squad until the 2012/13 season. He had spent time as the captain and the vice captain before finishing up, in his final season he participated in every final, all which were won. Great way to end his career.

Rio Career History

The lad is not a great coach yet, but he is still new to the job so there time for his improvement, he even can give a decent assessment of players which could come in handy. Be interesting to see how he develops, if he gets technically knowledgable he would make a decent assistant in future possibly.

Rio Staff Profile

We are almost there for the ex-pro's that are now on my staff. Its the turn of the French. Mikaël Silvestre

The lad just didnt want to give up his playing career in his early 30's even though he wasnt getting a game. He finally retired after 2011/12 after 3 seasons of basically not playing a game.

Silvestre Career history

Now if this guy wasnt French icon_razz.gif then he would have a good chance of becoming the Assistant Manager, but for now he remains a strong Coach.

Silvestre Profile

Finally, a man disliked by many. A man that couldnt find a job when his football career ended, yes another French man. Even with all his bad points, I present Louis Saha

Saha career under my management was short. He was sold off to Spurs early on where he saw out his days until he retired in 2012/13. He gained his coaching badges and yet remained unemployed until I picked him up in 2014.

Saha Career history

Saha employment history

The lad is a strong coach, and since the profile picture has improved more. Surprise is fitness coaching. A man made from glass is a good choice to tell people what not to do! This is another French person who appears to have his eyes set on management eventually.

Saha Profile

Conclusions!

Well what can I say, whatever you do, convince your players to become coaches as you will get some gems for your staff.

Originally posted by deadmanwalking11:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by liverpool-fc:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rydo L:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Please tell me what you think of the side. Sold Ronaldo for £37M to Madrid because he was injured all the time and wasn't playing well when in the side.

sigh... icon_razz.gif

...He didn't fit in. Taylor-Ferdinand defensive partnership is perfect. And Evon, what do you mean Marcelo is the worst left back? He's played well for me. Fletcher was great last season and Bentley's beginning to play well.

It's results and form that count in the team tbh, and Ronaldo has never played well for me. Maybe its the formation. icon_confused.gif

you sold Ronaldo on the CHEAP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On my game Man U sold him for 70M

Deadmanwalking - You said Ronaldo was sold cheap at 37M and Messi was overpriced at 44M when Messi is so much better on the game than Ronaldo, Messi's PA is the highest ever on a Football Manager game.

It's the summer of 2009 and I was just treading water until the first friendly of the new season. Then I got a very unexpected message. The Czech Republic FA have offered me a job to manage their national team. Shall I take it? MY Manchester United revolution is still underway so I'd manage both teams if I take the job.

I half want to take the job just because they asked me to, out of the blue. icon_smile.gif

His composure is **** and he's nowhere near as good physically. Ronaldo is the best winger in the game.

Anyway, I will won't go for Bale because he's just not good enough defensively. Nor is he really better than Baines attacking wise. He's just faster and better at set pieces. Probably has a marginally better PA but Baines is also probably cheaper.

Marc - Yeh go for, once you get your first International job on FM, they never seem to stop flowing, on last years game I moved to 3 different International jobs in the space of like 1 year until I happily settled myself at England and won the World Cup. Best England Manager since '66 :*****)

Originally posted by Sheps.:

Marc - Yeh go for, once you get your first International job on FM, they never seem to stop flowing, on last years game I moved to 3 different International jobs in the space of like 1 year until I happily settled myself at England and won the World Cup. Best England Manager since '66 :*****)

That is pretty much what others on another forum are saying. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Evon:

Portsmouth are turning into the new Man Utd icon_biggrin.gif They've now bought 3 of my players. Silvestre and Saha for £10m each and now Kuszczack for £6m. Suckers.

Pompey always seem to be interested in anyone when you want to sell them. Add O'Shea to that list as I think I sold him to them on my game.

Originally posted by Jimmy Valentino:

Ronaldo >> Silva >>>> Messi

I'd agree with that. Messi isn't setting the world alight for Barca on my game. Ronaldo is doing brilliantly on the right for me. So is Silva on the left. Pretty much first choice wingers averaging 7.60+ both of them.

Seeing as Man Utd had, shall we say, a petty amount of strikers, I've went on a spree of getting wonderkids for free, mostly strikers:

Gabriel Torje

Stancu

The following I've been waiting for a work permit for a month or so :S and if anyone knows why please tell me haha:

Ever Guzman

Toto Tamuz

The last one isn't a striker but is a must buy for all of you at 15 years of age i present......*drumroll*..... Niklas Barkroth

Just lost the league in my first season to chelsea on the last day. I'm till in the champs league final against Inter which is my only chance of some silverware.

Is it just me or are Man Utd finances really bad, i had to sell a few players in the january transfer window to get some cash in the bank. I got £13.5m for O'Shea and £14m for Saha which i think is not bad.

So my priorities for next season are to get a winger a striker and maybe another MC. Don't think i will have a lot of money to spend so i will try and get them on the cheap icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by marcftm:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deadmanwalking11:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by liverpool-fc:

sigh... icon_razz.gif

you sold Ronaldo on the CHEAP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On my game Man U sold him for 70M

Deadmanwalking - You said Ronaldo was sold cheap at 37M and Messi was overpriced at 44M when Messi is so much better on the game than Ronaldo, Messi's PA is the highest ever on a Football Manager game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Am a utd supporter, so will obviously prefer ronaldo

I ned help to get rid of some players. I dont' know who to sell

I'm in my 6th season in 2012.

I need to sell 1 of these strikers

Rooney

Aguero

Tevez

Rossi

Huntelaar

Brandy

I wanted to sell Huntelaar but he is Everyone's favourite player so i'm worried it would harm morale

Attacking midfielders

Nasri

Diego

Matias Fernandes

Anderson

Originally posted by Sidnv:

Rooney

Aguero

Tevez

Rossi

Huntelaar

Brandy

I wanted to sell Huntelaar but he is Everyone's favourite player so i'm worried it would harm morale

Attacking midfielders

Nasri

Diego

Matias Fernandes

Anderson

Sell Brandy

I need a right back i season 2 as i only have neville and brown. I can get M.Richards for £25m or Dani Alves for £30m. I can also get Behrami for £13.5m but not sure if he is better as a winger.

Which one would you choose or would you go for someone else.

Originally posted by Rydo L:

I need a right back i season 2 as i only have neville and brown. I can get M.Richards for £25m or Dani Alves for £30m. I can also get Behrami for £13.5m but not sure if he is better as a winger.

Either are good. I would go for Richards as he is English.

Simpson is a good back up though if you want to use the money elsewhere.

Originally posted by Hitchy:

Either are good. I would go for Richards as he is English.

Simpson is a good back up though if you want to use the money elsewhere. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

simpsons stats arent very good

Originally posted by Sidnv:

Rooney

Aguero

Tevez

Rossi

Huntelaar

Brandy

Attacking midfielders

Nasri

Diego

Matias Fernandes

Anderson

I'd sell at least 2 strikers tbh. Selling Huntelaar makes no difference to morale especially as he's so damn ****. And sell Brandy. For AM's, sell Diego and maybe Nasri though it depends on your wingers.

Overpriced for both. If you want a right back, Richards is really not the way to go. He's hit attacking wise. Alves is better at both attacking and defending as a fullback. But £30m is steep. I got him for £16m. Try De Silvestri or Cassni. Look around. Maybe Lahm.

Archived