FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

I could do with a little bit of financial advise please!

Just started a game with Man U last night for a bit of fun (I've got about 8 different game saves now an am a CM veteran but I've never suffered like this!).

Anyway, I'm top of the table, unbeaten and still in every competition at the start of January. My squad has struggled a bit for injuries with Tevez out for 2007, so I've been playing a 4-5-1. I started the game with no transfers allowed, so for January I was given a £7m budget.

Players in:

Breno £5m (out on loan to Antwerp for first 6 months)

Stancu £450k

Manucho (out on loan to Antwerp - I edited the database and created him, with CA 140, PA -8, Heading 18, finishing 16).

A few young players for £1m combined

Players out:

Fletcher £12m

Silvestre £5m

Most of my reserves on a free (besides the good ones)

Anyway, regardless of the net spend, my finances are crippling me.

I've made a loss of approximately £5m every month, and the bank balance is already -£10m. at the current rate, I will be -£45m+ by the end of the season, unless I win the league and Champions League which will only leave me slightly in the red.

How can I get rid of this crippling debt?

For next season I hope to clear out a couple more players (VDS, Kuszcak, Ji-Sung, Neville) and start with this squad:

GK - Ochoa (available in summer for about £10m)/ Foster

DL - Evra / O'Shea

DC - Rio / Breno

DC - Vidic / Pique

DR - Brown / Simpson

ML - Giggs / Someone?

MC - Hargreaves / Carrick

MC - Anderson / Scholes

MR - Ronaldo / Nani

FC - Rooney / Manucho

FC - Tevez / Saha? Frazer?

The board are already unhappy about the financial status and the club is "insecure". I've not given anyone payrises/new contracts besides VDS and Brown who are signed until 2010 at a lower wage than previously.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probably nothing to do with you or your transfer dealings. Most people struggle to stay in the black in this version due to the club loan (Glazers money).

I wouldn't worry about it mate. You get a load of money (TV rights, final league placings, euro cup tv etc) at the end of the season which puts you back in the black.

in 2nd season now won premier league and 2nd community shield

sold hargreaves for 10 million,kuzczak for 6 million and sold pigue for 7million to spurs as well.

brought in davison from newcastle (300k), obertan from bourdeaux(13million) and rosina from torino(29 million), loaned out players to affilates, and park to schalke on loan.

so far topping table after 4 games by 3 pts and got a game in hand as well.

who do you suggest in buy in for future seaons, ie youngsters.

Originally posted by kornfan001:

sold hargreaves for 10 million,kuzczak for 6 million and sold pigue for 7million to spurs as well.

brought in davison from newcastle (300k), obertan from bourdeaux(13million) and rosina from torino(29 million), loaned out players to affilates, and park to schalke on loan.

My spelling isn't spot on but: Wjindilum (dutch youth player - winger), Stancu, Luiniho, Breno, Jose Baxter, Aariota, Banega, Veloso

Some are younger than others, but they are all good.

I wouldn't have sold Pique by the way.

hargreaves for 10 mill, pique for 7? also who is rosina and why did u pay 29 mill for him :O

Originally posted by kornfan001:

Again, start over. You've sold too many players for ridiculous prices and now you're buying players for ridiculous prices.

Originally posted by Evon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kornfan001:

Again, start over. You've sold too many players for ridiculous prices and now you're buying players for ridiculous prices. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why, It's his game, if he choses to sell lots of players, it's his choice and he buy who he wants as well. He doesn't have to start over icon_rolleyes.gif

Real paid 27m for Jeremy Toulalan in the first season on my game.

Iv now just finished my second season and they have him as back-up for the first team. Just had an offer of 14.25m accepted for him.

Carrick and Hargreaves are both getting older now so seems like a bargain. Opinions welcome

I can buy Aguero for £33m. I have Owen, Rooney, Campbell and Tevez. Fernandez can also play up front as can Carvalho and a whole load of very promising strikers in the reserves and youth team. So Deal or no Deal? Owen and Rooney got over 70+ goals altogether last season mind, Tevez got over 20 goals from less starts and Campbell got around 12 goals from 10 starts. Great strikeforce but can Aguero add to it? I'd have to sell one of my players and I doubt it'd be Campbell...

Originally posted by kevieyang:

Has anyone had the shirt sponsorship renewed at a much lower deal than the one you start off with?

I got mine renewed and only getting $15.5m a year as opposed to $30m+

30th September 2009 on my game and I'm wondering when the new sponsorship will get announced. I reckon early 2010. I get £14.12m a year now so I hope I get something a little better next time.

What formation do you all find works best as United? Im trying to find a formation that gets the best out of the attacking talent they have, while being solid at the back. Im currently using a 4-2-3-1, but i seem to leak quite a few goals. Is it my formation or the individual player instructions of my defenders?

Hey guys, im new here icon_smile.gif I finished a season, won league and nothing else icon_frown.gif ok first season i think, but all my staff left me, just about, quireoz didnt accept my offer so i sacked him and got a new one in asap, thats where i stand at the moment.

Do i need anymore staff? I feel as though im a bit short icon_smile.gif

Manu.jpg

I was managing England and the Man U job popped up, so i got it and ive just bought Defoe for 2.5m + Wes brown :O

Been a legend in pre-season and G1 of the season icon_smile.gif

Really chuffed, sorted out the squad alot, will probably give you a screenie later

Just in my first season with Manchester United. Turning out to be one of the best i'v ever had.

Here are some pictures.

This is my homepage.

Homepage.

One man is keeping me going, as i'v played him as a striker...

Here is my team.

My team.

Making two signings, in Micah Richards And Aaron Lennon.

Unbeaten...

Here he is, the man, the legend. PLayed as a striker all season, just for a test really. As rooney has been poop.

I'll try and post more screen shots later.

The defence is working really well.

Conceding only four goals, while van der sar has 44 clean sheets in 47 games. Not bad.

I'v tried to include players i have some hope for, cathcart, jonny evans, simpson, febian brandy and danny welbeck and aim to play atleast one of them per game, so far it's worked well and all have improved and impressed me.

Any ideas or hints and opinions would be great...

Cheers.

O.K Just finished my 2nd season, won the treble, This is my team:

GK: Ustari / VDS

DR: Dani Alvez / Neville

DL: Evra / Traore

DC: Barzagli / Evans

DC: Ferdinand / Sakho

DM: Hargreaves / Lorik Cana

MR: C.Ronaldo / Aaritalo

ML: M.Fernandez / Giggs

AMC: Kaka / Anderson

FC: Rooney / Bojan

FC: Owen / Tevez

I still have 33m to spend can you suggest any positions or players that would improve the team. Cheers

Mine was announced at the start of the 2011/2012 season.

Originally posted by Marc Lister:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kevieyang:

Has anyone had the shirt sponsorship renewed at a much lower deal than the one you start off with?

I got mine renewed and only getting $15.5m a year as opposed to $30m+

30th September 2009 on my game and I'm wondering when the new sponsorship will get announced. I reckon early 2010. I get £14.12m a year now so I hope I get something a little better next time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally posted by Rydo L:

I still have 33m to spend can you suggest any positions or players that would improve the team. Cheers

Wtf? How did you buy Kaka by the second season? That must of cost you over £50m surely.

With the bank loan in place.. how in the world did you get that team?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Wtf? How did you buy Kaka by the second season? That must of cost you over £50m surely.

£40m with 50% sell on. I've also bought Ustari for £18m which leaves me with £33m. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough I suppose. The other buys are quite realistic so it just about makes sense. I guess you didnt spend much in the first season then?

AndyyManutd - You need a lot more coaches, make it your priority. I'm not sure if you need 2 fitness coaches though. And also make Vito Scala a coach rather than a 1st team coach so he can train the youngsters as well icon14.gif

Originally posted by snortsy_23:

What formation do you all find works best as United? Im trying to find a formation that gets the best out of the attacking talent they have, while being solid at the back. Im currently using a 4-2-3-1, but i seem to leak quite a few goals. Is it my formation or the individual player instructions of my defenders?

I play 4-2-3-1 and I have 0.8 goals against average.

The 2 central midfielders are ofcourse very important in this system. Make sure one of them plays rather defensive in front of the defense. I play them both in right in front of the back 4, with Scholes or Anderson with a forward arrow. Carrick or Hargreaves play the defensive role.

Hey, I am about 2/3 through my second season, I won the league and FA Cup last season, but nothing else. I made 3 signings:

1st Season: Daniel Alves 21M

and Henri Saivet (Comp)

2nd Season: Ruud Van Nistelrooy 12.75M

I couldnt resist buying him for that price and he has been banging in the goals for me.

Ruud Van Nistelrooy

I am top of the league so far this season and cruising, I have already won the league cup and just beat AC Milan 5-1 away from home in the champions league. I a 4-5-1 formation or a 4-2-4 formation, depends on what way you look at it.

Formation

Any ideas on people i should sign ?? Thanks

quote:

With the bank loan in place.. how in the world did you get that team?

O.K, Here we go again... Everytime i get a good team people always question it so here goes:

If you look back a page you will see i have posted my transfers in and out from the very start of the first season up untill now, Imo, i have got very good prices for players sold and they were all sold over the 24months icon_smile.gif

I have 2 japanese feeder clubs and at one point i think i was making around £10m a month just on players sold. So over these 2 seasons my bank balance has been rising and rising, i have also won the champs league twice in a row which helped the balance aswell!

Apart from Kaka and Alves, i havent spent alot of money on players and just for the record Bojan is on loan just incase you were wondering how i managed to get him and Lorik Cana was free!

Originally posted by AndyyManutd:

noob question coming up icon_smile.gif sorry icon_wink.gif

Ok, i ve got a couple of 7* coaches, but how do i assign them to their job?

Such as, how do i assign someone to shooting, ball control etc or do they do it automatically

Go to the training section and select Coaches. Then you'll have the options of what they are training on the right. They are automatically assigned to each one, unless GK or Fitness coaches.

Then unselect all and select only the one you want them to train.

Originally posted by Scott08:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyyManutd:

noob question coming up icon_smile.gif sorry icon_wink.gif

Ok, i ve got a couple of 7* coaches, but how do i assign them to their job?

Such as, how do i assign someone to shooting, ball control etc or do they do it automatically

Go to the training section and select Coaches. Then you'll have the options of what they are training on the right. They are automatically assigned to each one, unless GK or Fitness coaches.

Then unselect all and select only the one you want them to train. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah got it, thanks alot man icon_smile.gif

manutdjack - How on earth did you buy Van the Man. I have tried in many games in FM08, but Real always ask stupid money for him and also he is never interested, but he has Man U as his favored club, so maybe, if i got an offer accepted for him, then He would come if i max out my contract on him.

I got him on FM07 and was the best striker on the game for me, even though he was like 33 or 34.

Hey Guys need help BIG TIME.

Im managing Man U (obviously)In third season now. Already been sacked once and re entered save as man u manager again. Im a veteren of these games so not totally clueless on the matter but this game has me COMEPLETELY stumped now and near throwing the towel in.

I just cannot make man u win consistantly over a whole season. In 2 seasons ive finished 4th, and 3rd, and lost really stupid matches and had to change tactics numerous occasions. It seems any time i find tactics that win for me that after about 10 games they suddenly stop winning and get me draws and losses. Ive made good signings and have an excellent first team made mainly of players recommended on these forums so players are not the problem. Ive tried everY possible formation it seems.Ive improved my backroom staff, Ive improved everything and my results are only slightly better than they were with original setup and still far off the place of my friends chelsea team who seem to score goals for fun. My friend has a simple 442 attacking with his chelsea, never has to touch or tinker with his tactics and they just work every season winning him a treble. I try those eaxact same tactics and pretty much every other formation available even downloading ones from here and absolutely nothing works. Can anybody atall shed light, i feel ive looked into every aspact and still have no idea now. I dont know if its worth noting im playing with original 2008 with no patches.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated here as my enjoyment here is really starting to waver now with these rediculous results all the time. Thanks

Originally posted by ALTE:

Hey Guys need help BIG TIME.

Im managing Man U (obviously)In third season now. Already been sacked once and re entered save as man u manager again. Im a veteren of these games so not totally clueless on the matter but this game has me COMEPLETELY stumped now and near throwing the towel in.

I just cannot make man u win consistantly over a whole season. In 2 seasons ive finished 4th, and 3rd, and lost really stupid matches and had to change tactics numerous occasions. It seems any time i find tactics that win for me that after about 10 games they suddenly stop winning and get me draws and losses. Ive made good signings and have an excellent first team made mainly of players recommended on these forums so players are not the problem. Ive tried everY possible formation it seems.Ive improved my backroom staff, Ive improved everything and my results are only slightly better than they were with original setup and still far off the place of my friends chelsea team who seem to score goals for fun. My friend has a simple 442 attacking with his chelsea, never has to touch or tinker with his tactics and they just work every season winning him a treble. I try those eaxact same tactics and pretty much every other formation available even downloading ones from here and absolutely nothing works. Can anybody atall shed light, i feel ive looked into every aspact and still have no idea now. I dont know if its worth noting im playing with original 2008 with no patches.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated here as my enjoyment here is really starting to waver now with these rediculous results all the time. Thanks

Have you tried to play a counter attacking tactic. Had the same problem before and seems to work for me now. Also could you please name me you first 11.

here is my formation. standard flat 4-4-2 with arrows going all the way up for the wingers. one arrow going down for dmc and arrow going up for amc. also change all their mentality to their according positions eg, centre back set to centre back, gk set to gk. dont leave it as it is or it wont work. also have your full backs mentality slightly defensive.

Now for the tactic. Have attacking 3/4 ups. Have mentality 3/5 ups. have passing style on the first notch of direct. tempo needs to be 100% as this is the element of surprise. closing down should be left at normal so that your players do not get dragged out of position. time wasting normal. defensive line have it 1 or 2 notches below normal. tackling normal. focus passing down both flanks and also play ball in to feet and have rooney as your target man (recommended)/run on to ball for tevez. This should work for you mate and will defo stop the blue era icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by sabbir7379:

here is my formation. standard flat 4-4-2 with arrows going all the way up for the wingers. one arrow going down for dmc and arrow going up for amc. also change all their mentality to their according positions eg, centre back set to centre back, gk set to gk. dont leave it as it is or it wont work. also have your full backs mentality slightly defensive.

Now for the tactic. Have attacking 3/4 ups. Have mentality 3/5 ups. have passing style on the first notch of direct. tempo needs to be 100% as this is the element of surprise. closing down should be left at normal so that your players do not get dragged out of position. time wasting normal. defensive line have it 1 or 2 notches below normal. tackling normal. focus passing down both flanks and also play ball in to feet and have rooney as your target man (recommended)/run on to ball for tevez. This should work for you mate and will defo stop the blue era icon_wink.gif

Sorry forgot to add the following. tick tight marking. tick use target man and also tick counter attack. icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by AndyyManutd:

anyone? anyone at all? nobody know if i need any more staff? look up a few posts, big pic icon_smile.gif

I would place adverts for a coach and a physio at least. maybe more.

When you offer a contract, the board will say 'you have 3 coaches and the board reccomends taht you have no more than 8'. just get as many as they say. Mix it up a bit though, so that you have coaches with different skills, GK coach, fitness coach, youth coach etc.

Originally posted by Marc Lister:

30th September 2009 on my game and I'm wondering when the new sponsorship will get announced. I reckon early 2010. I get £14.12m a year now so I hope I get something a little better next time.

I've just saved on 1/1/2011 and still havent had an upgrade in sponsorship, its never traditionally that much anyway

Archived