FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Yorkshire's No1:

Why do u only get 10 million wirh man u?

Because they have just spent £50m on Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson!!

You can raise it to around £20m by adjusting the budget and even more by selling some of the backup players for a good price.

Originally posted by JawKam:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Yorkshire's No1:

Why do u only get 10 million wirh man u?

there are quite a number of players you could sell in the reserves. that would raise your budget a bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, but then sometimes it better to wait until January or the following summer window to sell players. If you use the likes of Fletcher in rotation now and again you can pick up very good prices. And to be honest you dont really need anyone at the start.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vbnmu:

Adonis>>>

How do u have Vidic scoring so many? I have him posted at the far post on corners but he still doesn't score tht often!

get him challenge the GK </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep aim corners to 6 yard box and Vidic or Pique to challenge gk..watch the goals fly in.

Question for everyone. Have you noticed that when you take a likeing to a player (for example Van Der Vaart) the likes of Chelsea, Barcelona, Real Madrid and A.C. Milan seem very keen to sign them?

This has happened about 8 times in my save;

Akinfeev (Arsenal)

Barragan (Barcelona)

Aguero (Inter Milan)

Villa (Roma)

Fernandez (Arsenal)

Pandev (Chelsea)

Pique!! (Barcelona (was sold by the board to Valencia but with £9.5mil minimal release clause))

Giuseppe Rossi (Lazio)

Its bloody annoying as not one of these players had any interest until I did. Anyone else get the feeling other managers watch them for transfer advice?

Hi there i have a game with Man Utd. & i just don't know who to buy out of a shortlist of people i have decided on,so help me please !!!

Money is no problem & i will splash the cash if need be so don't take that into account please & i am playing on 8.02

Replacements for Hargreaveswill either be Veloso - Toualan - Zapater or should i keep Carrick is he just as good ???

Looking for a new CB to freshen things up so i am loking at Richards - Breno - David Luiz or should i keep Pique is he just as good ???

As you can see i am really indecisive so all your opinions will help thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vbnmu:

Adonis>>>

How do u have Vidic scoring so many? I have him posted at the far post on corners but he still doesn't score tht often!

thx icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by adonis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JawKam:

Adonis>>>

thx pal! icon14.gif

Yep aim corners to 6 yard box and Vidic or Pique to challenge gk..watch the goals fly in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally posted by JD 1984:

Hi there i have a game with Man Utd. & i just don't know who to buy out of a shortlist of people i have decided on,so help me please !!!

Money is no problem & i will splash the cash if need be so don't take that into account please & i am playing on 8.02

Replacements for Hargreaveswill either be Veloso - Toualan - Zapater or should i keep Carrick is he just as good ???

Looking for a new CB to freshen things up so i am loking at Richards - Breno - David Luiz or should i keep Pique is he just as good ???

As you can see i am really indecisive so all your opinions will help thanks.

Keep Pique, he's world class on my game.

Veloso is very good, and Zapatar will become VERY good after a few seasons.

I still have Carrick in 2012/13 - he's a good squad player.

Originally posted by Mooono:

Question for everyone. Have you noticed that when you take a likeing to a player (for example Van Der Vaart) the likes of Chelsea, Barcelona, Real Madrid and A.C. Milan seem very keen to sign them?

This has happened about 8 times in my save;

Akinfeev (Arsenal)

Barragan (Barcelona)

Aguero (Inter Milan)

Villa (Roma)

Fernandez (Arsenal)

Pandev (Chelsea)

Pique!! (Barcelona (was sold by the board to Valencia but with £9.5mil minimal release clause))

Giuseppe Rossi (Lazio)

Its bloody annoying as not one of these players had any interest until I did. Anyone else get the feeling other managers watch them for transfer advice?

Hehe, it is pretty annoying. Are you seriously saying that all those players were nicked away from you? That's ****ed. Some of the best buys there too.

Exactly. Even when my save became corrupt and I started again, it happened again on VDV. If I had the money I would of bought him, but I was buying youth mainly this season. Thing is, they seem to know when I have no money too. Stupid AI. SI better look into this.

Exactly. Even when my save became corrupt and I started again, it happened again on VDV. If I had the money I would of bought him, but I was buying youth mainly this season. Thing is, they seem to know when I have no money too. Stupid AI. SI better look into this.

It is actually pretty true to life. Many teams will be watching players but not show any interest because they dont feel it necessary to buy at that exact time. However if they see someone else go in with a bid for them then they possibly will follow suit because they dont want to lose out in the long term.

More to the point, if they feel the other side wont be willing to sell then they may not offer, however when it clear that the guy is on the market it open season on the bidding.

I am alot like the AI at times. I have massive shortlists but often will not be interested on buying a player at that time. If though someone bids for him, and I feel the guy would do the job in near future like I wanted then I may feel my hand is pushed and put in a bid also.

All the big signings will be the same, as every team knows there quality. Often you have to rely on giving them a better contract... if you find you cant give them the money needed it helps to move money from transfer to wages just to do the contract deal, then move it back to the transfer kitty once you offered them the contract.

Think I should give a tiny update of my progress in 8.02 now icon_smile.gif

This was what happened during the first season. For the summer window, I sold Fletcher for 12mil, Kuszczak for 3.1mil and Silvestre for 7.5mil.

I earned quite a bit of cash and I signed players like Saivet, Sakho, Fleck and Bostock, as future players. I sent many reserves out on loan as well.

Well I started the season off quite poorly, and stayed in mid-table for quite some time. Later I changed my tactic and it achieved good effect, which allowed me to climb steadily up to the top 4. For an instance it looked as if I could overtake the first placed Arsenal ...

January window came and I signed Kodro, Frascatore, Lloris for 16M, and Aurelio (From Liverpool) for 2.3 mil.

Well my results started to drop, although it picked up again later on in the season, I could only secure a 3rd placing.

I lost out in FA cup in semi final and lost in League Cup quite early. Got into top 4 for the Euro Champs before being knocked out by the super Real Madrid.

Earned some bit of cash and I started off the second season, promising to get the champions of EPL!

I sold Nani for 30M to Inter, sold off Dong and Park, sold Saha for 6.25M, Foster for 12M, and Carrick for 20M.

I signed Jimenez for 2.7M, Coloccini for 21M, Bresciano for 10.25M, Assulin for 1.4M and Giovinco for 10M.

Also picked up a great regen - Lumsden from Man City. And secured a deal for Neymar and some Sudan regen.

This season I decided to use more of Manucho, that's why I sold Saha. And I am slowly training the likes of Sakho, Saivet, Bostock, Brady, lumsden, and the seemingly amazing Febian Brandy!

Been doing quite well now, with all areas of training 7 stars, and currently first in EPL after 31 games, leading by 7 points. Rooney's been firing, scoring more goals that the games he play. Got kicked out of FA cup in semis, won community shield and currently en route finals of Champions League.

I have secured a deal for Sergio Ramos, after persistent bidding of his buy-out clause (31.5M), he became unsettled and is willing to sign in the summer, with weekly wages of 125k. And I sold Pique in January, as he keeps on become unhappy. Might offload Aurelio and Brown at the end of this season.

Also secured a deal for Veloso and Bodmer, both versatile players who can play as DM, and replace the pretty weak Hargreaves.

Wenger's now the Milan manager, and Hitzfield the Liverpool manager.

Guess who's Arsenal's manager - Pat Rice! icon_biggrin.gif

And rumours are saying Real Madrid are after me as manager icon_smile.gif

Should I go for the chance?

And I am also the Ghana manager.

That's about it, will update next time.

Question lads. I was wondering if anyone had a good tactic to score lots for the Man Utd team. I'm bringing in Zarate and VDV for back up striker and AMC respectively. I tried the 4-1-3-1-1 but it wouldn't download. Any help?

Question lads. I was wondering if anyone had a good tactic to score lots for the Man Utd team. I'm bringing in Zarate and VDV for back up striker and AMC respectively. I tried the 4-1-3-1-1 but it wouldn't download. Any help?

Go to T&T, and read the Tactial Theorems & Frameworks thread, then build your own from that. I'm gonna spend most of my evening doing that, when I get back in from going out now. icon_biggrin.gif

grrrr, weather doesnt look too promising icon_frown.gif

I have played 3 different formations with United in my current go. When I finish this 3rd season I will list the success I had with each. However, when it comes to goal scoring, the best formation I have had is as follows:

GK

DL(farrow to WBL)

DR (Farrow tow WBR)

DC

DC

MCL (Barrow to DMc)

MCR (Farrow to AMc)

AML (Farrow to FC-l)

AMR (Farrow to FC-r)

AMC (Farrow to FC)

FC

Scored lots of goals with this formation, though they calmed down in the second part of the season. But then had injuries to some top players which didnt help.

Scores with this formation in august were:

Game 1: charity shield. 5:2 win over arsenal

Game 2: Prem 9:0 win over wigan

Game 3: Prem 4:1 win over arsenal

Game 4: Prem 5:1 win over portsmouth

Game 5: Prem 1:0 win over Everton

Game 6: Prem 5:0 win over Chelsea

Originally posted by nch:

This was what happened during the first season. For the summer window, I sold Fletcher for 12mil, Kuszczak for 3.1mil and Silvestre for 7.5mil.

I earned quite a bit of cash and I signed players like Saivet, Sakho, Fleck and Bostock, as future players. I sent many reserves out on loan as well.

Well I started the season off quite poorly, and stayed in mid-table for quite some time. Later I changed my tactic and it achieved good effect, which allowed me to climb steadily up to the top 4. For an instance it looked as if I could overtake the first placed Arsenal ...

January window came and I signed Kodro, Frascatore, Lloris for 16M, and Aurelio (From Liverpool) for 2.3 mil.

Well my results started to drop, although it picked up again later on in the season, I could only secure a 3rd placing.

I lost out in FA cup in semi final and lost in League Cup quite early. Got into top 4 for the Euro Champs before being knocked out by the super Real Madrid.

Earned some bit of cash and I started off the second season, promising to get the champions of EPL!

I sold Nani for 30M to Inter, sold off Dong and Park, sold Saha for 6.25M, Foster for 12M, and Carrick for 20M.

I signed Jimenez for 2.7M, Coloccini for 21M, Bresciano for 10.25M, Assulin for 1.4M and Giovinco for 10M.

Also picked up a great regen - Lumsden from Man City. And secured a deal for Neymar and some Sudan regen.

This season I decided to use more of Manucho, that's why I sold Saha. And I am slowly training the likes of Sakho, Saivet, Bostock, Brady, lumsden, and the seemingly amazing Febian Brandy!

Been doing quite well now, with all areas of training 7 stars, and currently first in EPL after 31 games, leading by 7 points. Rooney's been firing, scoring more goals that the games he play. Got kicked out of FA cup in semis, won community shield and currently en route finals of Champions League.

I have secured a deal for Sergio Ramos, after persistent bidding of his buy-out clause (31.5M), he became unsettled and is willing to sign in the summer, with weekly wages of 125k. And I sold Pique in January, as he keeps on become unhappy. Might offload Aurelio and Brown at the end of this season.

Also secured a deal for Veloso and Bodmer, both versatile players who can play as DM, and replace the pretty weak Hargreaves.

Been playing absolutely well, got into Champions League Final and also almost near to getting EPL champion.

And the board's hesitating whether to extend my contract! icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nch:

Been playing absolutely well, got into Champions League Final and also almost near to getting EPL champion.

And the board's hesitating whether to extend my contract! icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My request of new contract was rejected, but

They offered me a new contract (2 years; 89k per wk)

and I nego-ed to 100k per week for 1 year.

Provides me more flexibility icon_wink.gif

I've started a new 8.02 save with Man Utd after a short break from FM.

I've turned pre-season transfers off to make it more realistic.

I'm using my own 4-4-1-1 formation.

Current line-up.

GK: VDS/Kusz

DR: Brown/O'Shea

DL: Evra/Silvestre

DC: Ferdinand

DC: Vidic/Pique

MR: Ronaldo

ML: Giggs/Nani

MCd: Hargreaves/Carrick

MCa: Scholes/Anderson

AMC: Tevez

FW: Rooney/Saha/Bojan(loan)

Any useful tips on how to play certain players etc?

Hi guys, i'm new here.

I'm playing a Man U game on the 8.0.2 patch and i have been troubles making tevez and rooney score.

Does anyone have advise on how to set tevez and rooney? either as the FC or AMC position?

I usually play a 451 or 442 variant.

FBs will push up to WB,

2 MCs with 1 pushing up to AMC, the other staying put.

the AML will push to FL, AMR (Ronaldo) pushes to FC position - i'm trying emulate the real man u formation.

rooney i put him as AMC (between AMC and AMR) and Farrow diagonally to the FC position slightly to the left.

FC has a sideway movement instructed.

been scoring 3-4 goals a game lately but none is from the strikers. so it's a bit worrying..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nch:

And the board's hesitating whether to extend my contract! icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My request of new contract was rejected, but

They offered me a new contract (2 years; 89k per wk)

and I nego-ed to 100k per week for 1 year.

Provides me more flexibility icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Start of 3rd season already.

Signings: Sergio Ramos Garcia ... Woot!

Vidal

G. Dos Santos on a free!

Stuart Taylor as backup GK

Daniel Alves

Bodmer

Abubakari Yakubu

Veloso

2 Regens

Defoe

P. Edwards

Sold out: F.Aurelio

Vidic for 40M

James Chester and many worthless players

Released Giggs, Neville and VDS.

Defoe seems quite good, but in reality is a backup striker. Sold Vidic because I got D.Alves and shifted Ramos to CB.

This is a long post, and I dont blame you if you dont want to read it. But as I was doing my own review I thought I just put it down how I have done here. Screenshots available for competitions mainly just show you the goalscorers, as forgot to split screen them icon_frown.gif

Completed my 3rd season after starting yet another game, restart was due to the updated 8.02 and wanted to begin with everything afresh.

Season 1 Summary

Tactic used in this season was a 4-2-2-2 making use of various positional arrows.

Screen shot

This was a successful and as such gained a lot of trophies, or rather all I was in for.

Community Shield - 5:3 Win over Chelsea

Screen shot

League – 1st on 98 Points, won it after the 36th match of the season. Screen shot

League Cup – 3:1 Win over Man City thanks to Tevez Hatrick

Screen shot

FA Cup – 3:1 Win over Portsmouth

Screen shot

Champions League 2:1 Win over Ajex

Screen shot

Unfortunately I have deleted my end of season save for season 1 so not got the player stats. But Rooney was the top scorer, however was a fair way back from being league top scorer. I remember that much.

Season 2 Summary

Kept the same 4-2-2-2 formation, however used farrows on the fullbacks and changed various player settings for a more attacking feel. Wasn’t happy with the flow of football in season 1 so was hoping it would be more pleasing attacking football in season 2.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/75/tactic0809za3.png

Community Shield – 2:1 Win over Arsenal

Screen shot

League – 1st on 96 points. Won it on 37th game of the season and was a very tight race with Arsenal all the way.

Screen shot

League Cup – 3:1 win over Aston Villa, this time Rooney got a Hatrick

Screen shot

FA Cup – 2:1 win after extra time over Chelsea

Screen shot

Euro Super Cup – 1:0 Win over HSV

Screen shot

Club World Championship – 3:0 win over Estudiantes (LP)

Screen shot

Champions League – Knocked out in the Quarter Final by Barcelona on penalties icon_frown.gif

Screen shot

Screen shot

Player Statistics:

Screen shot

Rooney was top goal scorer, however this was followed by Vidic. Wasn’t pleased that was the case, however more game from free kicks then corners. Even said, I didn’t like the fact it appeared set pieces were one the biggest sources of goals.

Season 3 Summary

After assessing the first 2 seasons I decided that I was time to pull away from the 4-2-2-2 which I played in the hope of a strong variant of a 4-4-2. Clearly this wasn’t attacking enough and my wingers were not pitching in as much as I would liked. Due to this I devised a fresh formation which they played in a load of friendly games to adapt to. With an overhaul of the player settings, the formation was switched to a 4-2-3-1 with much movement dictated by tactical arrows.

Screen shot

Community Shield- 5:2 demolishing of Arsenal. Even though they had a lot of chances, they came in the 2nd half when my players had eased off.

Screen shot

League – 1st with 101 points. Absolutely walked it having a great attack finally, scored 114 goals in the league and conceded just 28, couldn’t have been happier with the attacking play the squad put together. That said, without a solid keeper then the tactic can fail as it did leave gaps in behind.

Screen shot

League Cup – 2:2 draw against Arsenal thanks to last minute goal by Rossi, won the match on penalties.

Screen shot

FA Cup – 1:0 loss to Bolton in Semi Final. I dominated the chances, however the single shot they got on target went in.

Screen shot

Champions League – 2:1 Win over Arsenal. Comfortable enough match to be honest but they game into it again near the end however held on.

Screen shot

Player Statistics

Screen shot

Formation certainly helped out in the attacking areas, with Ronaldo being top scorer on 43 for the season. Just 1 away from Ruud’s record but he just couldn’t break that hurdle. Rooney on 29, Rossi on 22 and Bojan on 18 rounded it off. Was delighted and this formation will continue to be used for the time being.

Transfer Dealings

This part details the major transfer dealings so far.

There has been lots of wheeling and dealing in the transfer market and as such players have come and gone, they have also gone and returned back a season later in a manner that meant I still made profit icon_smile.gif

Season 07/08 – Inbound:

Kroos - £4.6m

Bojan – Loan

Saivet/Sakho/Acapandie/Wijnaldum/Corradini/Kenia/Buonanotte – low fee transfers.

Season 07/08 – Outbound:

Eagles - £1.4m

Lots of players out on Loan.

Season 08/09 – Inbound:

Rossi - £23m

Lloris - £5m

Zaccardo – Free

Maxi Rodriguez – free

Ujfalusi – free

Season 08/09 – Outbound

Kuszczak – £10m

O’shea - £7.5m

Park - £7.5m

Brown - £10m

Fletcher – £15m

Saha - £10m

Hargraeves - £25m

Ujfalusi - £4m (refused to tutor people)

Pique - £15m + £40m after 1st Spain appearance (took awhile but he got this near the end of the season)

Various other youngsters/reserves went for free/low fee/loans

Season 09/10 – Inbound

Pique - £22.5m (buy back clause and needed another strong DC)

Walter – £2.9m (Youngster all top teams were after, valued at £4m but with a £2.9m clause. Got in there before others could.)

Season 09/10 – Outbound

Maxi Rodriguez - £21m (complaining about not enough games)

Carlos Tevez - £40m (explain reasoning below)

Jonny Evans - - £24m + £40m after 1st international (got this mid season)

Lots of people out on Loan.

Season 09/10 – Inbound

Jonny Evans - £7.5m (buy back clause)

Lots of free transfers. Poor management as I lost track of what I had agreed so gonna be bit unrealistic, but hey, it be decent money I get I hope.

Season 09/10 – Outbound

Foster - £10m + £40m after 1 International. Got the £40m days after deal went through due to England being in world cup quarter finals icon_smile.gif he complained I hadn’t accepted a offer so I showed him the door even though I wanted to keep him.

Now as for Tevez, even though I only own Rossi and Rooney as my main first time strikers, I have had Bojan since the beginning on loan, and he has never returned to Spain. Hoping to get him on a free this season as he contract finally ends. I kept him by signing on a 12month loan, and at the start of each transfer window I extend this back to the maximum 12 months. As such he been a permanent fixture in my team icon_smile.gif Boarded accepted the £40million offer and I thought that due to my new formation it wasn’t too much of an issue so let him go.

My current squad retains some of the core united players just as I wanted. Those that remain fixtures in the first team are:

Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evans, Pique, Simpson, Carrick, Anderson, Gibson, Ronaldo, Nani, Rooney.

Due to this I am quite happy with the continued success and hoping to bring a few more youngsters in from the youth team soon.

Originally posted by --Galaxy--:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Legendz:

squad.jpg

tactics.jpg

hey.. whats youre record?? in cups and can you upload your tactic... looks interesting and i perfer an attacking formation aswell as i have alot of AM's and strikers

I like to attack....A LOT. icon_smile.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I've practicly won everything xD - lost one game last season and finished with 107 points.

Tactic: http://www.sendspace.com/file/b2z1zo

ok thought i would share this with someone, i have just finished my first season with the mighty reds came 2nd in prem, semis in fa cup, first round knockout in champs league and semis in league cup, bought samba and saviet, also bojan on loan, fletcher 10mil, saha 2mil, park 3.5mil, even the "selling trick" couldnt get me any more money!!!! started to lose money like water through your fingers, come early march david gill stepped down and handed control to one of the glazers ive forgot which one he came in and pumped 20mill into club i was 17mill in debt icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif now 2nd season and get 13mill transfer kitty icon_confused.gif any ideas who to buy??? dont want to start again i want the challenge icon_smile.gifhas this happend to you becuase everyone seems to loaded by this point in the game.

Better than my form Stoner.

I can't seem to score even though I dominate every match.

My 1st 3 matches:

Lost 1-0 vs Chelsea (N)

Lost 1-0 vs Fulham (A)

Drew 0-0 vs Derby (A)

All 3 matches I had much much more chances, and all 3 matches their keeper got MoM.

I'm playing 4 defenders, 1 MCd, 2 MCa, 2 wingers running to striker, and a lone striker.

Originally posted by Evon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sheps.:

Evon - 03232008133727ti6.th.png

icon14.gif

It doesn't work for some reason. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry took a screenie of the wrong thing, did it again for you:

03232008203937qe7.th.png

Archived