Opposition Instructions in Non-League

Hi all.

I'm curious as to what everyone thinks about opposition instructions in non-league? For example, I'll get info from the assistant manager suggesting I mark this person tightly or trigger a press on that person. Often I just do it, but I'm also at the 10th tier of English football, so my assistant manager is, predictably, not all that great. He's not actually TERRIBLE, probably great for this level. But in general, how much would you accept the assistant manager's recommendations. I also wonder, although he never recommends it, is it a good idea to show their leading scorer onto his weaker foot? Most players at this level are heavily one-footed.

I also know that, tactically, at my level, I want to keep the game as simple as possible for my players. 

So, what do you think? Should I generally accept the manager's recommendations? (I confess, I typically don't accept his other instructions about things like playing down the left, or adding more defend duties, or whatever. It's just these opposition instructions I'm curious about right now.)

I'm currently managing in the 10th tier of England, just like you. 

I don't use opposition instructions. Like you said, with the mental levels from the players at that tier, you want to give as less as instructions as possible. That's also the reason I don't use Player Instructions at this level. It's the same with team instructions, as few as possible, but still be able to play the tactic I want (Route One/counter). 

image.png.d6849dc8794ac05d784d381095463fe0.png

You're right not to trust the AM - he just goes by his preferences and doesn't really take the players' skills and limitations into account.

You have to be very careful with OIs due to those limitations at this level. 'Weaker foot' is safe enough, but you don't want players who have poor decisions, positioning and tackling going in hard, weak players pressing or slow players tight marking. You yourself need to check the opposing player and your own dudes before you give out these kinds of instructions.

Keep in your mind, opposition instructions may effect your tactic in an undesirable way. Maybe, you dont want opposition wingers cut inside with ball. But if you show them on opposite foot, they can cut inside. Maybe you dont want your CD to leave his position. Pressing instruction may cause him to leave his position. 
Personaly, I ignore my assistant manager advices unless they makes sense to me.