24+ year olds at the end of their contract

"Players under 24 years old who reach the end of their contracts and have not been offered new deals of greater or equal terms, can move elsewhere for no compensation"

What does this mean?  I would assume that anybody reaching the end of a contract would be able to go where they please, because they would surely be free agents.  Does the team have to pay a subsidy to someone over 24 if I let their contract rundown without selling them on?

I have never let someone's contract run out because I'm something of a hoarder of players, but this rule has always confused me.

35 minutes ago, krashd said:

"Players under 24 years old who reach the end of their contracts and have not been offered new deals of greater or equal terms, can move elsewhere for no compensation"

What does this mean?  I would assume that anybody reaching the end of a contract would be able to go where they please, because they would surely be free agents.  Does the team have to pay a subsidy to someone over 24 if I let their contract rundown without selling them on?

I have never let someone's contract run out because I'm something of a hoarder of players, but this rule has always confused me.

I think that rule is there because in some leagues when a young player has a year left on his contract (in England it is 6 months) if another team offer him a contract they would have to pay a compensation fee but if the contract has run out they won't have to pay any compensation fee