3-2-5 w/ Libero

I've tried various iterations of trying to get this any version of this tactic to work. I dominate possession as you'd expect against 95% of teams but lack any sort of attacking thrust from the front 5. I've tried DLFs Poachers double IF-as double IW, play wider, play narrower etc. Nothing really seems to be consistent in terms of creating quality chances.

Has anyone been able to really make this really work is one of the shortcomings that it simply controls possession but much of it is pointless?

image.png.63e44725d8b01599ae2aa58474f794ca.png

Think about it from a logical standpoint.

Where are your goals coming from? Looking at this set-up you're expecting the Advanced Forward to score about 70% of your goals, with the CM on Attack chipping in with a few and the inside forward scoring a few.

You've got an IF(S) which is generally more of a creative/supply role than a finisher. 

You've got a W(A) which is also more of a supply role, though in a different manner.

If you don't want the push the mentality to a more attacking one, then I'd suggest putting the IF onto Attack and the winger on support. You're then creating an additional goal threat and hopefully not losing too much supply wise.

It might also pay to create width on the left. Rather than an IFB on defend, go for a Wingback on Support or attack. If you're married to the 3-2-5 build up the DM to HB and Roaming Playmaker to DLP will keep that build up, otherwise you can roll with a 2-3-5. RPM to DLP might help in both a 325 and 235 buildup.

8 hours ago, khodder said:

Think about it from a logical standpoint.

Where are your goals coming from? Looking at this set-up you're expecting the Advanced Forward to score about 70% of your goals, with the CM on Attack chipping in with a few and the inside forward scoring a few.

You've got an IF(S) which is generally more of a creative/supply role than a finisher. 

You've got a W(A) which is also more of a supply role, though in a different manner.

If you don't want the push the mentality to a more attacking one, then I'd suggest putting the IF onto Attack and the winger on support. You're then creating an additional goal threat and hopefully not losing too much supply wise.

It might also pay to create width on the left. Rather than an IFB on defend, go for a Wingback on Support or attack. If you're married to the 3-2-5 build up the DM to HB and Roaming Playmaker to DLP will keep that build up, otherwise you can roll with a 2-3-5. RPM to DLP might help in both a 325 and 235 buildup.

I'm more married to the Libero than anything else. I've done a 2-3-5 in the past and was now tinkering around with a 3-2-5.

The width in the build up is definitely a challenge at times as its a naturally narrow formation. I do have run wide with ball ticked for both IFBs so that does create some space. Just seems like its very difficult to consistently create high quality chances in this kind of set up.