Generating stars from Africa without simulating underage people trafficking

• 5 months later...

I don't know what you mean. Sending shady men to the training grounds at ASEC Mimosas, Generation Foot and Coton Sport and letting them ogle underage kids, approach and then promise them a better life in Europe and subsequently ship 100 of them off in a container to a 2nd division Eastern European club is surely the most accurate representation of real life.

On 28/12/2023 at 18:37, BeeInExile said:

The game appears to compensate for this by generating African youth prospects at certain European and other teams, even though they are generated under the legal age for a transfer abroad, which is 18 years old. Essentially, Ghanaian teams do not generate players who will become great for Ghana, because European teams don't sign them so they can't reach their potential, so the game is set up to compensate by generating lots of 15 year old Ghanaians at Nordsjaelland. This is an (illegal) sticking plaster on the problem.

I've always assumed this situation was to reflect immigrant family kids, who are eligible for a different nation but came up in youth football in the club's nation. Kids with African parents but raised (and often born) in Europe.  So, a Cabo Verdean kid from Lisbon.

But yeah, the lack of African talent in FM24 is so so aggravating.   Something needs to be done, crazy that I can send scouts to Cote d'Ivoire, Ghana, Cameroon, Nigeria, ect and they come back saying "nah, nothing to see here"

I like the agent idea.  Clever, and would make agent relationships more important in the game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/06/2024 at 01:37, nms1987 said:

I've always assumed this situation was to reflect immigrant family kids, who are eligible for a different nation but came up in youth football in the club's nation. Kids with African parents but raised (and often born) in Europe.  So, a Cabo Verdean kid from Lisbon.

You can check under the player's info on the city they're born, second nationalities etc.

Have seen quite a lot of immigrant youth intake players in my save, e.g. I have a Somalian player who was born in Wolverhampton

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/06/2024 at 15:19, boey said:

You can check under the player's info on the city they're born, second nationalities etc.

Have seen quite a lot of immigrant youth intake players in my save, e.g. I have a Somalian player who was born in Wolverhampton

Sure, but that doesn't apply to players at e.g. Nordsjaelland. Look at Déblé in the attached pictures. He's an Ivorian newgen who was generated at 15 at Nordsjaelland. He was born in Cote d'Ivoire and has no other nationality. He can't get a work permit to play in Denmark in the game because he's a youth player (which is totally bizarre). According to the game he's been in Denmark for 4 years already, and has just turned 16, so he moved to Denmark when he was 12. There are several issues with this:

1) How many Ivorian kids are there in the greater Copenhagen area? Nordsjaelland generates a lot of Ivorian and Ghanaian newgens. Is this realistic? My understanding is that it is not.

2) From what I understand, Nordsjaelland in real life only actually signs players from Ghana and Cote d'Ivoire once they've turned 18, and of course this means they are signed from African clubs and should have a playing history in Africa. This is not the case with players like Déblé.

3) I appreciate that nationality laws are often rather arbitrary, but I really doubt that someone who had lived in Denmark since the age of 12 would be unable to get a work permit to work there. In fact it looks as though he might be able to get not just residency but nationality when he turns 17 as he'll have been there for 5 years including during his schooling. https://lifeindenmark.borger.dk/settle-in-denmark/danish-citizenship/the-acquisition-of-danish-citizenship-by-children

There's two reasons why the game makes such a mess of this (well, aside from real life being messy):

1) It conflates residency with national eligibility. Someone who really had moved to Denmark as a child should have residency there, even if they might not actually be able to play for the Danish national team yet. Moreover, they may well choose not to play for Denmark anyway. The game isn't nuanced enough to reflect this.

2) As above, for understandable reasons SI really want Cote d'Ivoire and Ghana to generate enough good players to make a semi-realistic world, but they haven't worked out how to get Nordsjaelland to buy good players from those countries (partly because they don't generate enough good players in those countries). Consequently, they have Nordsjaelland generate African players without Danish nationality, so that those players won't decide to play for Denmark instead. Instead, they should rework the game to generate more and better African youth prospects in Africa, and get European teams to actually buy them. Of note, Nordsjaelland in my game in September 2027 have yet to sign a single player from Africa - this in spite of being affiliated to the Right To Dream academy in Ghana. My preference, which is much more like real life, would be for the 15 year old newgen Ghanaians to stop being generated at Nordsjaelland and for them to buy Ghanaians from RTD as soon as they turn 18 instead. (If the devs want more ideas for how to make that happen, please see my previous contributions to this forum.)

Déblé 3.png

Déblé 2.png

Déblé 1.png

Edited by BeeInExile