FM24 - We Are All Fleckney Aint We - Youth Only - Not Quite at the Start, A Long Way from the End

The best stories start in the 8th chapter right?

Right?

Probably not.

But this one does.

My Hexagon Challenge has hit that point where it's not quite drawing me enough so I wanted to go to Youth Only - there have been a couple of ideas going around the noggin but I always struggle with starting these sorts of saves as the first few seasons are very same-ie. 

So I was in a state of flux.

Then I remembered Fleckney Athletic. I shouldn't have forgotten them really as they are the next village along, and I play for the village Cricket team.

In real life, Fleckney Athletic's senior team withdrew from the English Pyramid in 2022 and they only exist as a youth team - U5s to U18s - I know several people still involved in the coaching and playing set-up. There is hope that one day a new senior side will return.

On FM23 I started a Youth Only Save, got 8 years in and then got distracted by shinier stuff. Thankfully FM24 can move saves over... So let's carry on with this one...

I won't go into too much detail about what I am trying to do - the graphic will help me do that, but I will talk about the journey so far.

image.thumb.png.07e991f890fe158909dd1f2343c3a85c.png

The League

We started in the Leicestershire Senior League Division One and we were able to get promoted, finishing 2nd, a distant second to Sporting Markfield with a squad of players generated at the start - I didn't like them, they didn't like me, they weren't my people. The goals of Connor McLoughlin helped, he got 23. The only Intake player we used was Adam Hughes - he made 3 sub appearances.

A 2nd straight promotion followed, as we won the Premier Division, again Connor scored plenty - another 22. Adam Hughes was more regular but we were still quite reliant on the original squad so progress made so far is much of a muchness as everyone was the same.

The greater travel distance meant many of the squad didn't fancy the United Counties League Division One - we did manage 4th, but the play-offs were completely beyond us and the season was probably 3 or 4 games too long. Our best intake player David Lockett made himself a regular this year, he's still part of the journey too. In 2025/26 we managed to get to the Play-Off final but fell short against Birstall United.

We couldn't rely on the play-offs and had to win the league, which we did in 2026/27. This put us into the Premier Division South and we made it back to back Championships. Ryan Robinson was on the scene now, a goalscoring legend - 132 from 214 currently, and he averaged 30 goals per season in these two years. 

Last season we managed a creditable 3rd place in Step 8 - the Northern Premier League Division One Midlands.

We started Amateur and have progressed to Semi-Professional

image.png.68cb86608f8f605033a591bda8995fe5.png

The Cups

We were able to win the Everards Leicestershire Senior League Cup TWICE in our two seasons in that league. The United Counties League had a cup competition but we were never able to get past the Quarter Finals. 

On a national front, we made the Quarter Finals of the FA Vase before Radford knocked us out on penalties - this was 2024/25 and our first attempt, but we were never able to reach those heights again, falling in earlier rounds in the next two seasons. 

In the FA Trophy and FA Cup, we have done the square root of bugger all really.

image.png.785733e46a6f769508b2a344da173ba8.png

The Ground

Our home is the Fleckney Sports Ground (in Fleckney). It's the top field! The red dot is the changing rooms, with the home of Cricket next door, and then the football pitch at the back. It's a grass pitch with a bit of fencing on one side and some dugouts. Not much to look at. 

In game our record attendance is 580 when Sunderland RCA travelled down for an FA Cup match in August 2028. This would have gridlocked the car-park and most of the village IRL. Complete bedlum. The Cricket side would have been at home as well which would have pissed them off as well, but thankfully being on the committee meant I was able to smooth things over. The Bowls Club were pissed off as well, but no one cares about that.

image.png.5371d1b8aa81706761a34546b87a9596.png

Facilities

We started at the bottom of everything, the training facilities and the youth facilities have not had a penny spent on them to improve, whereas the Coaching and Recruitment is where we are spending it - Good Academy Coaching and Above Average Youth Recruitment mean that we are able to get the best of the local talent - apart from Leicester City, there isn't much else in the county beyond our level, or the one above.

image.png.1a106973c2e40ee0be0b3e4ce73e48d9.png

The Players

Ah the bread and butter of such a challenge. We have a few that are too good for us at the moment. Rhys Lavery has 43 in 74 in league games and will be key if we are to win promotion this season (which is the aim of the board). David Lockett, our No.1 since the 2nd season, has wracked up 234 games and will continue to be our No.1 for, potentially, a few years to come. He also has 37 goals, because I had the idea of putting him on penalties - not an original idea, but I thought I'd try it and it's fun. Ryan Robinson is the 3rd I'll call out - he's the main scorer - better than Lavery in terms of output, but not quite as good on paper, or indeed screen. 

image.thumb.png.9e6611f2ed5827d4975e6bd3f47715b5.png

image.thumb.png.450a58ece857596864054b07f7dce739.png

image.thumb.png.84e8d096cc7b33d8e8a05c1ecff8e100.png

The rest of the squad will be introduced over time.

The Graduates

We've moved on a fair few players and most have retired without doing much, but there are some still in the game.

7 currently play at a higher level, Tim Berry is our record sale, at £275. Gideon Godwin is the closest to the Football League as non-contract in NLS. Our American John Caldwell is the only player playing in the professional game, in America.

image.thumb.png.82016db567cea9376259031c1912d379.png

I would normally say, the journey starts now....

It doesn't... but it does continue... 

July 2029

All about pre-season before the real action starts. Plenty of minutes for the squad but not much to cheer about. 

image.png.b13235420e98d1c419e99384ee811dcb.png

The scouts have been flocking to see Billy Mann, our Irish either CD/DM or MC. So far bids have been rejected from Wealdstone, AFC Telford and Southport - all current NLS or NLN sides.

image.thumb.png.3f13f05d7fd3f0b17f5f4f9992c90cb2.png

Ex-Lags Watch

• Jamal Barnard has signed a 12-month deal with AFC Porchester following his release from South Town. He made 4 sub appearances for us, before spending 3 years in Slough in their reserves.
  • Luciano Diporedjo has gone back to Holland after his release at the end of last season and has signed for amateur side Achilles '29. He played 179 times, scoring 9 and at one point was highly rated but never developed

August 2029

Competitive football. It feels like a long time...

My 300th game in management.

A comfortable victory in the league cup with Jules Mawete getting his first two senior goals, with Left Back James Jones making his senior bow due to several suspensions in that area. We will face Deeping later in the month in the opening league game of the season.

Yate Town bring us our first FA Cup experience of the season, they are at the same level as us, 547 watched us hit 4 unanswered goals, wing back Mikie Giurgi pivotable in the side with 2 assists. 

Deeping are surely sick us of by now. Rhys Lavery (2) and Ryan Robinson simply do what they do and we are unbeaten in all comps after 1 match each. It was an very tight game if you looked at all the stats - apart from the most obvious one, goals scored.

Local pride as we beat Leicester Nirvana - the brilliantly named Matt Matthews scoring from midfield.  Rhys Lavery celebrated a 12 month extension to his deal with a goal as well.

An FA Cup trip to Lincolnshire saw Ryan Robinson get a brace and Boston Town were beaten. 

Before Spalding ruin the narrative and inflict our first defeat. Two early goals and we couldn't recover.

image.png.1c1b0a6b93a84a7d6641ea44153e876a.png

41 season tickets sold - one more than last year.

A club record transfer fee. It's a sidewards move but hopefully gives him game time.

image.png.eca3c5be5ac94f7cab05b8b37ca115e3.png

The league looks nice

image.png.8cdaeef78a9b0b0e880a97f62a02f685.png

The finances less so, and that's with a record transfer fee AND two rounds of FA Cup money.

image.png.6c376339d0696023c886f820a11d49a5.png

September 2029

Everyone loves a bit of Chardonnay, don't they?

He's had a few caps at this level before and was 2nd top scorer in the French Invitational Tournament in the summer.

image.png.96a206f9b69482f1551487215a3f8879.png

Ryan Robinson got us back on the winning train with the game's only goal against Peterborough Sports.

I had a look at the contract expiration page and got a little scared so gave, Right Back Luke Green, Centre Back Nathan Heard, Striker Ryan Robinson, and the aforementioned Kitenge are all secured until the end of 2031

We celebrated with a frankly awful performance at home to the top of the tree Yaxley. It was my birthday game as well...

2 goals in the opening 10 minutes in the FA Cup and then nothing else after - all back to our place?

Rhys Lavery sees us through - randomly both teams fielded a player called Matt Matthews - a newgen name of CM days that. 

Against Wisbech, it was the turn of our Icelandic U21 international Hlynur Einarsson to take the plaudits with the goal for us. He's played 19 times for Iceland and scored 1 goal. 

I'm not taking the FA Trophy too seriously at the moment - it doesn't give the financial rewards of the FA Cup and we've slipped to 9th in the league. The board want the play-offs. We've rotated a bit and got past Bristol Manor Farm but the boys look shattered.

Football Bloody Hell. Absolutely cruising into the 3Q Round of the FA Cup but Kings Langley score 3 times in the last ten minutes to earn a replay. 

No such drama in the replay. Away to NLS Wealdstone is the reward.

A rather poor showing in the Trophy to round off a LONG month. Home to Brackley Town is our prize.

image.png.f8557c554d6ac3255b5b4db9b903db6f.png

I've almost forgotten we are a league side...

image.png.c98dd49a04e7af7f88616cae7b5c068d.png

Ex Lag Watch

• Ayden Famer has moved to Thatcham United, on loan from Ware. The Central Defender was one of the first players to break into the Leicestershire League squad "back in the day" but didn't progress at the level we did. Still managed 171 games for us.

October 2029

With the impending Wealdstone clash, the City of Liverpool game became fairly irrelevant, there was almost the threat of a replay, but Ryan Robinson got a late winner.

We needn't have bothered. Full Strength in London. 2 down after 6 minutes. Ah well. Our best run is over.

The league is back! A 94th-minute goal condemns us to defeat. We sit only 2 points above the drop but have 3 or 4 games in hand so we are not concerned yet.

More bloody heartbreak. Brackley score a 92nd-minute goal to force penalties and then Rhys Lavery misses one. We pocket £600. It's also our best run.

Back to Back derbies - Barwell and Hinckley Leicester Road, before THE derby.

Barwell ripped us a new one. They declared at 3.

Hinckley shipped 8 when we were shipping 3, so a 1-0 victory is huge. Isaac Aboagye the main man from the right winger position.

Despite Corby being in another county, it's the local game for us - 19 miles between grounds. Hinckley is about 100 yards further (in the other direction) than Corby is so Corby is the derby.

Ironically considering how Scottish Corby is, it was our Scot Dean MacKenzie that rescued a point.  Corby had a massive Steel industry back in the day so had loads of Scottish workers come down - it's the only place in England where I've seen people drink Irn-Bru.

Long Buckby is not a long trip - it's a bus stop near Northampton (it's more than that, but you get my point) and the highlights will be shorter from this one. It's another point.

Birstall is a shorter trip still - again, highlights, very few. Point etc..

An odd month. 

image.png.d66a35b5a4de15acdd6c98bf86d8c800.png

It's about trying to finish as high as we can. We wont win the league, the play-offs look a long way away currently.

image.png.d8b33b82416af4413572097240b21941.png

Ex Lag Watch

• On paper one of the best Strikers we've produced Riece Dyche has moved from Matlock to Boston Town on loan. He's a great-looking player, just can't score goals. 17 in 90 - when you compare that to Lavery and Robinson. It's poor. He's yet to score in 9 games for Matlock.

November 2029

Luke Green had a great start to the month, sent off in the first minute. Loughborough scored the only goal of the game. A tough loss so early.

Victory in the cup boosts morale somewhat. The league form is a concern.

image.png.8d0f967fa967cd19a489a8f36519f774.png

Halesowen are sitting well placed in 2nd, so this is a very good point on the road. Matt Matthews with the goal, his partnership with Kern Banford in the middle of the park the key.

A massive win followed against Heather Saint Johns (4th placed) - Dean Mackenzie continuing his fine form with the winner.

For once the early red card goes our way, before Chardonie Kitenge grabs a brace and we make it back to back league wins.

Dunkirk. I'll resist the urge to call it a battle. I'll call it a disaster. Threw it away and Matt Matthews will miss most of December with an injury.

image.png.75dd5dd7d0d7b020a438d9e6c6d2aae5.png

Settling in for mid-table. A good run could tickle the toes of 5th, and a bad run could get engulfed by 17th.

image.png.b9c89ac760bb957f4a47713a02892476.png

December 2029

When you don't play well but still get something out of the game, then you sheepishly smile and move on. That was Anstey Nomads. Rhys Lavery's goal is his first for 11 hours - that was Wealdstone back in October.

I feel for Isaac Aboagye, he's been in and out of the side, he starts against Long Eaton and barely manages 20 minutes before a shocker of a tackle.

image.png.2a8dfa0c99a582071b19fec1b3d3af2e.png

Goals are a premium right now. Between Lavery, Ryan Robinson and Jules Mawete there has been a grand total of 1 goal since October.

Nath! We've all spent too long in the Golden Shield, but AFTER the match, NOT before.

image.png.28f0c07c852768bae4bd28d40de565a9.png

Rhys Lavery is starting to get back into his grove. He beats Deeping on his own.

Halesowen were 2nd but we put in our best performance for months to smash them off the park. This is the type of result that gives me great hope. Chardonie Kitenge who is having a blast this year causing the damage. From a defensive left wing position. Superb stuff.

image.png.0706dd439ff29f8a93a784163ff87c7c.png

Heading out of the League Cup until we get a 90th minute penalty? David Lockett doesn't miss many... and then victory in the pens. Lockett saves a couple. It was his game.

We end the month unbeaten

image.png.92192cca583613ce4fb2b12936db3049.png

It's a congested pack but we are in it. 11 points clear of the drop zone. That feels like a big number. 

image.png.d606fe926774f004779945aa040a9b8d.png

Interesting. We don't really need a keeper, but Defensive cover (as long as they can fit right in) will be much needed.

image.png.e912633a296a784a48520a0659215386.png

Ex Lag Watch:

• Northern Irishman John Judge has left Southwell and moved to Highworth United on a free. He played 15 times for us, 14 of them from the bench - he was an AMC in the time where we didn't play that role.

January 2030

A point away at Peterborough Sports to kick off the decade should have been all 3 as we led 2-0 with 10 to play. 

Absolute domination against Spalding, but we only scored once. But we did keep a clean sheet so all is good.

We may reach the end of the season and look back and think, if only. Another game where we lead twice and don't pick up the W. Chardonie Kitenge and Rhys Lavery will take us up. Or get poached.

image.png.af0ee86237f75b01787042efa4e2605b.png

We are close to breaking into the playoffs

image.png.f3dc72801a99aea19b6b55278535221b.png

Ex Lag Watch

• American John Caldwell got released from Knoxville - he was a full-time professional with them. So far he has only had amateur offers.
  • We released Fraser McCulloch at the end of the season, he has finally found a club - Redbridge. The keeper was back-up to David Lockett for 5 seasons. He played once.
  • Jamal Barnard is on the move again. After a few months at AFC Portchester, he's joined Barkingside.

February 2030

This will be a big month. A few tough games against sides in the Top 6. If we get through this month well, then maybe just maybe we can be in the mix.

If we can keep Chardonie Kitenge fit then there is every chance. A double against Yaxley brings him to 10 for the season.

Wantaway keeper (he's looking elsewhere at the end of his contract next year) David Lockett was the star of the show at Wisbech.

We went into the Boston Town Quarter Final not quite sure on the approach, we have a good chance of winning the competition, but we have the league leaders in town next.  Rhys Lavery wins it late on.

Kitenge with a 9.9 as we beat Godmanchester. It could be on!

A brilliant result with Lavery and Ryan Robinson both getting in on the act as we destroy Barwell.

On the cusp of the Play-Offs with intake due next month.

image.png.a8e811718b5baf3562c4fe2ca37b686e.png

Whoever loses out between Godmanchester and Halesowen will be tricky, but we've beaten both this year already.

image.png.78f54c50bc205a5db0b25a67539dd084.png

March 2030

Corby (19th) and Hinckley (20th) - after last month's brilliant form, these are givens... surely?

Corby were the better side, but we were ruthless. Ryan Robinson and Chardonie Kitenge are the boys to score.

A result that moved us 5th.

The same pair combined to see us past Hinckley - but it was Hlynur Einarsson with 3 assists that stole the show.

A professional display sees of Long Buckby, the normal scores getting in on the act. 

Heather was a game in hand, so the point is seen in a positive light.

David Lockett loves a penalty. The difference between us and Loughborough Dynamo.

image.png.d85042df76789add2b6e685c100930ed.png

4 games left. Play-offs are all but sealed

image.png.8f344835a427e7e18daf14b8e89556ff.png

Intake:

• Matthew Tuck and Gary O'Connor both look like decent centre backs but the personalities aren't great
  • Cody Lillis is another who looks like a decent potential player but has that low-determination personality
  • Callum Thompson doesn't look like he's going to improve much but looks like the best player in the group - quite technical already
  • Both Luis Stretton and Rui Coelho will need retraining as either MC or SC as we don't do AMCs but they look alright

To summarise - no players who walk into our side, some with potential that will be on the cusp next year but the rest have been signed in case of injuries and you never know. Personalities are poor and I am not too excited about any future.

image.png.b38a1cb09ab01a4d591289d2f95b8a6b.png

image.png.bc93140412cd8490fc4ff2637ce22dff.png

image.png.6fd14ae2075cccdc75ab612c7847d4d1.png

Ex Lag Watch

• Gideon Godwin, who we released into the care of Hemel Hempstead Town at the end of last season, has been released by his new club. He didn't feature in their squad. He's agreed to join Bridgwater United in the summer.

April 2030

We've got a Semi....

Bottesford. A place in the League Cup final at stake. Kitenge rested as he is a booking away from a suspension. Despite being the better team, it'll be Bottesford facing Macclesfield in the final.

Let's hope it's all smiles from now on.

Bad Day at the office. Better team again, Rhys Lavery picks up an injury, Billy Mann  is  sent off and Dunkirk head back to Nottinghamshire with the points.

A tight, horrible, cagey affair is settled with a last gasp winner.... thankfully it goes our way. Ryan Robinson sees off Anstey Nomads and we are in play-offs with two games to spare.

It was complete rotation for the Alvechurch match - treated the first teamers to some bevvies. Not that many of them are legally allowed to.

image.png.570269a8c5e969601fccbb558504c31b.png

5th Placed secured with a less than impressive run of form. Away to Halesowen.

image.png.c0b48e081c5eac53f72700d69eda0b56.png

May 2030

All eyes on the Pirelli Stadium, Burton for the Semi-Final

Away at Halesowen. Tough. But we beat them earlier in the season 4-1.

No Luke Green, the dependable right back is suspended. Isaac Wright comes in for him.

Such an even game. The Yeltz huffed, we puffed and eventually Rhys Lavery blew the house down.

3,291 - the most that have ever watched a Fleckney game - saw it.

image.png.7b4d849d96059494aae3465ee3d2ac8f.png

It was an all-Leicestershire Final. So naturally the game is played at Sixfields Stadium, Northampton

Unchanged Fleckney side.

It all unravelled in 5 second-half minutes. Losing Mikie Giurgi was a blow just before half-time. And we never recovered.

Weirdly only 793 watched it!

The key players David Lockett, Matt Matthews, Kern Bamford, Tobias Hore - all nowhere men. They make such a difference.

image.png.812c5e73baa98181971655544eec0eae.png

Time to lick those wounds, review the squad and plan next season where we aim to do it all again.

9 hours ago, Vakama2619 said:

Did Peterboro Sports go down? Thats a bit of a fall off

They have nearly a month to wait before they play Larkhall in the Play-Off.

They had successive relegations and have treaded water for the past 3 seasons.

image.thumb.png.7d85db122b18573ba7693805f749ecb6.png

Bolton Wanderers have found themselves in the National League which is a bit scary, with Doncaster Rovers and Sheffield Wednesday!!

Scunthorpe are at that level as well.

Woking are in League One

2029/30 Player Thoughts:

Keepers:

• David Lockett is undisputed No.1. He is exploring his options which means I have 1 more season of him playing to get promoted otherwise we lose him. The rest are untried so either we get lucky in the next intake and get a closer replacement, we somehow persuade him to stay, or we have to figure out which of the remaining 3 is good enough.

image.png.71d709c9c12e7229de7e58c967e89665.png

Defenders:

• Doing this exposes the lack of options we have - our main 4 - Mikie Giurgi (LB), Luke Green (RB), Tobias Hore & Nathan Heard (CD). I think Heard and Hore can do better and this was Guirgi's first season as starting option so their numbers are a little light when you look at average rating. Isaac Wright was the option at Right Back when required and also filled in at Centre Back when needed. The staff really rate Billy Mann and Jamal Reittie but neither have really covered themselves in glory.
  • Next season will see Corby Kennerdale get more minutes as he has real potential.
  • Kieran Barlow is leaving. I am not yet sure on Reittie, Stephen Jones or Luke Robbins

image.png.ed62d6d5b8210d83a486407da175f4bb.png

Midfield

• Again, not a huge amount of rotation apart from on the right.
  • In the centre it was Matt Matthews, Kern Bamford and Dean Mackenzie for a spell, but mainly the first two. Both Matthews and Bamford had a quiet spell in the middle of the season where Mackenzie came in.
  • On the right, Isaac Aboagye started the season and then got a number of injuries which really stopped him from progressing, and it meant Hlynur Einarsson got in and really performed - Einarsson was a surefire player to release when I picked this save back up but he has got himself involved and is more of a starting option now.
  • On the left, and my player of the season, Chardonie Kitenge - 14 goals, 16 assists, 12 PoMs, featured internationally. The one genuine star in the side. Or the one genuine player I really worry if a big NL boy comes along. He has a year left on his deal and only wants a big boy contract now. Suspect we may be out of his league. And not in a good way.

image.png.fed4c84a6ddf602c942fef51466f988f.png

Strikers:

• You'd think having two players score 20 plus goals then there would be no worries in a position, but take these two out and... oh my...
  • Rhys Lavery and Ryan Robinson are both so key that I don't even want to joke about injuries. 
  • Other options? Jules Mawete scored 2 in an early cup tie and hasn't scored in the league yet. Josh Vernon had 17 games, over 500 minutes without finding the back of the net.
  • Conor Baldwin scored plenty in the reserves and probably deserved more than 86 minutes.

image.png.701a998915777a50aaf8826e87806409.png

The Ex-Lags Club:

• Haydn Munton had a decent season at Daventry Town - they are 2 steps below
  • Jamal Barnard had 2 clubs and probably needs to find his forever home if he will ever come back up
  • Clint Murphy is playing at a non-playable league and level so his numbers are a bit irrelevant. He is a decent player but was nowhere near Kitenge's standard.
  • No one is playing at a higher level than us.

image.thumb.png.737f4dbfe68e58b91f04a09f5829d50b.png

Records broken in the cup - in all 3 cups we registered our best places. Average attendance was slightly down despite selling more season tickets and having more twitter followers. The financial position continues to get worse. Nothing that a very good cup run wouldn't solve.

image.thumb.png.b91bc16df38b04041d6b552c6660bc5c.png

Bring on 2030/31

8 hours ago, KibworthBull said:

Scunthorpe are at that level as well.

National League? They start FM24 in the National NORTH. 

They have nearly a month to wait before they play Larkhall in the Play-Off.

Please let me know the result

Bolton Wanderers have found themselves in the National League which is a bit scary, with Doncaster Rovers and Sheffield Wednesday!!

Woking are in League One

A good chunk of NL teams go up and stick around, so we see some teams like that fall into NL, had any ex league clubs drop further, (aside from Scunthorpe/Southend/Yeovil who are top of NLN/S or battling relegation from VNL)

15 hours ago, Vakama2619 said:

National League? They start FM24 in the National NORTH. 

Please let me know the result

A good chunk of NL teams go up and stick around, so we see some teams like that fall into NL, had any ex league clubs drop further, (aside from Scunthorpe/Southend/Yeovil who are top of NLN/S or battling relegation from VNL)

I started this on FM23 so Scunthorpe never dropped into the NLN

Peterborough Sports stayed up - beat Larkhall 2-1

In terms of the ex-league clubs:

• National League
    • AFC Wimbledon, Bolton, Boston United, Dagenham, Doncaster, Harrogate, Newport County, Scunthorpe, Sheff Wed, Sutton United, Yeovil Town, York City
  • NL North
    • Barrow, Kidderminster, Southport
  • NL South
    • Aldershot, Barnet, 

So no one has dropped that badly. You've got the phoenix of Macclesfield and Rushden & Diamonds at one level higher than us currently, but both of them are moving up rather than down.

Curzon Ashton are also at the same level as Peterborough Sports, so have had a similar drop.

Rushall Olympic are one level lower than us, but they were not starting in NLN in FM23 so have had the same amount of relegations as Curzon and Peterborough Sports.

August 2030

Chardonie Kitenge don't break my heart... PLEASE!!!

image.png.1bebdf984f05c38fb0c931bf607ef5a4.png

Okay... so I have you for the season then....

image.png.332e75a42f4ca9f9bd1dfb33418d9d77.png

Nope. He wants out now. 

But we would get £50k for him. But of course, there are no offers. Plenty of free transfer bids though.

I don't want to transfer list him, as that just makes them unhappy, I've had it before where they have turned around and said "Let's talk" but they refuse to talk as they are listed. I'm prepared to let him run his contract down and hope promotion changes his mind.

He isn't a world-beater but he's good enough for the next level at the very least.

Both Luke Green and Tobias Hore have signed deals until the end of 2032. I'm panicked that everyone will explore their options. As has Rhys Lavery - he's now on £220 per week - a serious wage for the club.

We are starting to get a lot of offers for our players now - all free transfers. Including Millwall (yes, THE Millwall), wanting Billy Mann on a free transfer - I suggested £10k and then they scarpered.  They are a Championship club - surely they are okay with £10k - it's a weekly wage for 1 of their squad players.

Let's distract ourselves with some football...

We are odds-on favourites for the league but we start with the cup. Chardonie Kitenge gets us off and running.

All eyes on Lancing in the FA Cup, for the sake of our bank balance we need a good run here. Rhys Lavery justifies his wage with the only goal.

An Alverchurch Avalanche with 5 goals for the Fleckney boys - Lavery does his normal, but big up Conor Baldwin - his first professional goal.

On the face of it hitting Yaxley for 6 is impressive, and it's not a bad result - but they had TWO sent off in the opening 15 minutes. 11 v 9 so that makes it less impressive. It goes down as our biggest-ever win.

Hoddesdon in the FA Cup, and it's our turn for a RED - Lavery just before half-time. 3 second-half goals kill it off.

image.png.e49f6df71c726561b4a3a89354dd4332.png

It's one that wont get beaten for a while - we've hit capacity.

The first Leicestershire derby goes our way - David Lockett gets 2 penalties and we are 3 from 3. Jules Mawete finally scores in the league.

Ry-Dog Robinson (trying out a nickname... doesn't work) scores to make it 4 from 4 and Halesowen are put in their place

image.png.4d05ff2e6f0917a4ae429df4866e56c1.png

Leicester Nirvana are 5 from 5 but happy with 2nd currently.

image.png.1dcd19f90f27dd4105b1c2452dc69d07.png

Ex Lag Watch:

• Ayden Famer, released by Thatcham Town in the summer, has joined Winchester on a 1 year deal
  • Ilya Healy-Byrne, released by Brackley Town, has gone back to Ireland and signed for Saint Peter's Athlone
  • Former record transfer fee Tim Berry has joined Larkhall on a season-long loan from Stratford Town

September 2030

The best bit about FM is that if games are called off at the last possible second then you don't have to drive back home again... 

Anyway. Enough about real-life grumbles.

Let's continue the Fleckney journey.

If you turned up about 20 minutes against Peterborough Sports you'd have missed all the action. The 100% record continues.

Bottesford ended our League Cup dream last season. Rhys Lavery returns from suspension to ensure it doesn't happen again.

The Students nearly taught us a lesson, but our old dog David Lockett (he's 22) taught them some new tricks. 

This time in the trophy, a within-month double against the Sports comes at a cost as Chardonie Kitenge damages his ankle and will miss the next 6 weeks - at least we shall see what sort of team we will be without him next year.

Carshalton are no mugs. They sit top of the league at the tier above. Lavery the man of the hour as we with stand the barrage and get a replay.

The ever-reliable Lockett missed a penalty, but fortunately, he did his day job well. I think this is the first time we have beaten higher-graded opponents.

Matt Matthews has been on the outside looking in for most of the campaign as Billy Mann and Kern Bamford have taken the CM slots. But he hasn't complained and took his opportunity to put in a match winning show at Thatcham to progress us in the FA Trophy.

image.png.c7aed3918e03b543b85b319c5a05cf3c.png

Leicester Nirvana have a big lead. We have games in hand

image.png.aa97fbf66e775ca805fab3a716c2ee02.png

3rd choice keeper Josh Hancock moves on. He played once and conceded three times.

image.png.c2c905042648b0b8c0c1fb5adcac8ae5.png

October 2030

All change please.. all change please.

Bradford (Park Avenue) in the League Cup (we have bigger fish) and it's our reserves who did us proud. Yes we lost on penalties, but led twice and 4 players made their debuts - Cody Lillis doing best at Right Back

Belper are one place below us in the league so this is a HUGE Cup tie. Belper lead twice but the old faithful of Rhys Lavery and Ryan Robinson mean it's all back to Derbyshire on Tuesday.

David Lockett scored penalty number 46 and we led early and never looked back and we reached the 4th Qualifying Round for the first time. Our reward? Wealdstone. Again... Although this one is at home.

Isaac Aboagye is the difference between us and Wroxham, but Rhys Lavery picks up an injury that makes him a doubt for Wealdstone. Chardonie Kitenge is back in the squad.

All eyes were on fitness in the bore-draw at Stamford.

Both Kitenge and Lavery start against Wealdstone.  It's Lavery who dragged us back into the game, but taking the plaudits is sub Conor Baldwin who nicks the winner. We get £10k for winning that tie and are in the 1st Round PROPER for the first time ever. We dream of a League Side. 

Big Sides - Birmingham City, Charlton, Coventry City, Hull City, MK Dons, Preston North End, and Wigan Athletic.

We of course could get someone like Leek or Sholing.

image.png.ec10ae0d3389b0313e4f1ecb041ee0e1.png

From a financial point of view, an away tie would have been better. 

Typically we lose our first league game of the season after the high of the cup draw.

A rare Luke Green goal puts us back on track against Deeping Rangers, before a perfect result against Long Eaton.

image.png.d18dd89cde32dc40eb44897099f543f6.png

Nicely placed in the league with plenty of games in hand.

image.png.e2afca735cc9a16752f1af49b0876c45.png

Ex Lag Watch:

• Reece Dyche career continues to stall - he's moved on loan from Matlock Town to Hanwell Town.
  • American John Caldwell has decided to retire from all forms of football.

November 2030

This is it...

The big cup tie...

Beaconsfield - Away, FA Trophy

Disaster. Chardonie Kitenge sees red. And they score in the 94th minute so one of our cup runs is over.

He misses 1 game. And is back for Charlton. Disaster Averted.

Key players were rested for Chasetown as it was 4 days before Charlton. Isaac Pollock and Conor Baldwin give us an easy night and the three points.

Crazy game in the Cup.

Charlton go off like a steamtrain. 3 nil up and cruising. Tobias Hore gives us a smidgen of hope, but Charlton score a 4th just before half time. Then the 2nd half. Wow. Ryan Robinson with a double, and then Rhys Lavery levels it late.

Epic. What a game. But most importantly. We get a replay.

Before we can count any pennies, we've got two very tough league games.

Coventry United (4th) up first. Matt Matthews gets a late goal and it's a good point on the road. Dean Mackenzie with a rare start in midfield getting two assists.

Top of the table Leicester Nirvana come into town - or across town. Connor Baldwin scores early but we can't hold on, another point, but the big news is Rhys Lavery going off injured at the end of the game, he's out until January.

We are £37k in the red as we travel down to London, if we can come out of that with a positive bank balance, then I don't care if we lose. The winner goes away to League Two Oldham Athletic.

I can't even compute the replay. We stormed into a 2-1 lead at halftime, scored in the 90+3rd minute to go 3-2, but gave away a 90+7th minute penalty to and then lost in Extra Time. What a run. In front of nearly 10,000 people. It's completely wiped out the deficit and we have +57k in the bank.

David Lockett was man of the match. Scoring his 49th career penalty.

Focus now goes into getting promotion from this league.

This is bollocks

image.png.108d80223cf3037f2d61f82b3de7572c.png

We have 3 games in hand - win them and we are 4 points clear at the top. Long Buckby are now top.

David Lockett misses a chance for his 50th penalty as we draw in Loughborough.

Another draw, this time Birstall restrict us. 

The amount of games has caught up with us this month

image.png.f139a317052b72da97158709883c671f.png

The league is distorted a little still. Win the two in hand and we are top.

image.png.3baeb242b95e8dd34c4c6113a8585b42.png

December 2030

More draws than the lottery.

Wisbech a desmond. Chardonie Kitenge was moved up top as Robinson is knackered and Lavery crocked. He scores but we don't hang on.

Belper next, the league leaders, Our first actual bad performance in some time. We deserved nothing and got nothing. 

Despite the poor form, both Oldham and Woking have offered me interviews for a job. Might have to keep their numbers in mind.

Kitenge!!! A double and Dunkirk are beaten. A victory. And we are back in the play-offs. Rumours of our downfall etc...

Bloody Yaxley. Another poor showing and then a late penalty.

But we have no midweek game for the first week since October. So sleep boys.

Alvechurch are struggling, It's a heavy pitch, but Jamal Reittie and Ryan Robinson get late goals and it's a much needed 3 points before Christmas.

We so nearly blew it at Chasetown. 2 up, and then back to 2-2, Kern Bamford nabbed the winner and it's back to back league wins. 3 wins out of 4.

image.png.c4fd47ac234139928227fe80132e8bd3.png

Despite not having a good couple of months we are still right in the mix

image.png.c2af2ca72fd3562ad9f1dd035345074f.png

The intake preview suggests that this squad is going to have to get us through next season as well.. oh and without Kitenge and Lockett

image.png.acc5828638da7b68c8d30e6e4b33b4f5.png

I always love the amount of games the kids play in these saves.

Next time Ryan Robinson plays it'll be game 300 in his career. He's just turned 23. Locket is younger but has played more - being the best keeper by a mile helps.

image.png.44559e4c27461ddd0f5813162c6557b4.png

January 2031

A transfer window opens... and we sell Luke Robbins to Frickley for absolutely nothing. He is an MC who played 1 game for us. Also moving on is Christian Johansson, someone who had a lot of potential and then never developed, playing mainly as a Left Winger, he made 29 appearances and scored 1 goal. Always second fiddle to Kitenge.

Several players have agreed to new deals - Matt Matthews, Ryan Robinson, Isaac Aboagye, Josh Vernon, and Tobias Head all sign on the dotted line until 2032

Elsewhere our assistant manager Paterne Kitenge steps up to the big job and is installed as manager of Beckenham. He did 5 years as my No.2

It was Aboagye's first "pro" deal and he celebrated with a couple of assists and a goal against Barwell.

14 days without a game followed. A whole fortnight. Bliss. We can actually train.

We like to give "youth" a chance, Sam Austin has just retired from playing and comes in as my assistant. A professional personality and he's good at working with people.

image.png.38b099df4e0c3a4dd735e4b73287cb9e.png

Halesowen are a big fish at this level - they get very good crowds. 1,092 of them watched Ryan Robinson(2) and Rhys Lavery enjoy themselves in front of goal. We only bring 3 fans. That feels a bit feeble.

It was a battle against Peterborough Sports - 3 players went off injured and we won with a 95th minute penalty - David Lockett's 50th goal for the club. Well done keeps. Matt Matthews, Isaac Aboagye and Isaac Pollock will miss most of the next couple of months with injuries.

image.png.b4bc6e1cfbf99a1ce1379120ed97a08e.png

We sit top of the table with 3 months left

image.png.6d604588e2c5c097215a2b98c3a7ded6.png

Ex Lag Watch:

• Gideon Godwin has joined Buckland Athletic - he moves from Bridgwater United where he spent 6 months and never played

February 2031

A trip to Nottingham first up. Long Eaton United. There's a lovely chippy around the corner from the ground. We took the boys to celebrate, double helpings for Rhys Lavery and Ryan Robinson. It was goal 99 and 100 for Rhys Lavery with the club.

Luck was ridden against Coventry United, an own goal and a late Robinson winner. Hlynur Einarsson had a good game at Right Wing. He's the epitome of inconsistency. 

Loughborough Students are a good side - full of U23s so a slightly older version of ourselves. Cody Lillis, one of last years intake, had a good game, but no one else did.

Defeat puts us 3rd, but victory over Stamford returns us to the summit. It's turning into a three horse race for the title.

image.png.251229464f44622efcc2300064c0faaa.png

A good month for points, next month is youth intake but I am not expecting much.

image.png.431fadac317621930488f5ddc070fbe3.png

March 2031

An opening day of the month draw at Heather wasn't great, but the results went in our favour. We remain top, level on points with the other two.

We did not need a Wisbech 96th-minute winner. This month is easier than April, so we need to bank points, not drop them. Isaac Aboagye marks his return with a double.

A good bounce back against lowly Dunkirk. 4 unanswered goals, but then injuries. Chardonie Kitenge and Billy Mann both limped off, but both will likely only miss the next match.

Dunkirk sacked their manager after the game.

Deeping Rangers were 20th. 20th!! It's a horrible, horrible defeat.

We HAVE to beat Loughborough Dynamo. Simple as. 

Chardonie Kitenge sees red, and it doesn't get much better. The worse time to stutter.

The only positive is Leicester Nirvana lost as well, and they are next.

image.png.525d6253bb8889941e9268332a4d83bc.png

Dreadful month.

BUT we are still in the mix.

image.png.109246d3e583a42951bdb4a90e232a76.png

4 games left. 1st, 7th, 13th and 3rd.

image.png.116271970fa63364ab6f4a3fdab37d5e.png

I was right not to expect much from the intake. 

At first glance, it suggests there isn't much to be excited about. There are no new nationalities either.

image.png.c40388135dfce99d5a6477857aeb1786.png

Borrill is seen as the only elite talent

image.thumb.png.e0654ee57f0d784abdced5f36c4b6907.png

Booty is probably my favourite. He plays in a role we don't use but he looks like he could be a striker. He's also Driven so will make the best use of that potential. He's just a short arse. 

image.thumb.png.3976a151501e7b173a7013c404bd4295.png

April 2031

It all comes down to this.

4 games. Will it be an automatic promotion or our 3rd stint at the Play-Offs, or if things really go downhill. A complete miss entirely.

If it does go all wrong, I hope this means they wont sack me

image.png.df222bff85829212142f03a999c4195d.png

If we have any hope for automatic, we must beat Leicester Nirvana, at 3pm they started 3 points clear of us. 

We were missing Chardonie Kitenge but apart from that, at full strength. 

Bam! Kern Bamford, Ryan Robinson and Luke Green score and we go top. With plenty of others.

image.png.f1a882b79e06ca5ed14e8a85f8b83082.png

Jamal Reittie is out of the door in the summer, but he scores a huge goal to put us ahead against Long Bucky. Ryan Robinson does his normal stuff.

Neither Belper or Nirvana won. A slender lead has developed. Anyone in the top 5 can still win the title.

image.png.ee61f81a5486e4c6c4b51d5359b43ac9.png

We travel north (just) to Birstall. A Leicestershire derby.

Kitenge is back after suspension. We are at full strength.

Such a nervy game. We attack, they attack, we miss a good chance, so do they. Finally Ryan Robinson scores, then Rhys Lavery does and finally Tobias Hore. 3 more points.

Only Leicester Nirvana can get more points than us

image.png.d01af3187a3bd992af26fcb2e67af56d.png

We host Belper. Leicester Nirvana go to Loughborough Dynamo.

A point would have been good enough. But Ryan Robinson continues his record of scoring every game this month with the only goal of the game. Leicester Nirvana lose in the last minute too

image.png.040d4e9c5e861970ed1e3c67804af632.png

image.png.d59df527ab90b63c6ff84753f242e5fd.png

Champions of the Northern Premier League Division One Midlands - we know what we are!

image.png.5c177a6f1633856295c8c7623d266d6a.png

Season 2030/31 Review

Goalkeepers

David Lockett is still adamant that he is leaving, and it leaves a huge hole at the back. He managed to get his 50th goal for the club. I think Kiernan Burkitt will be the No,1 at the start of next season - he has the most potential. I'll keep Lascelles and N.Robinson around as non-contracts as it's good to have 3 options. I'll keep trying to keep Lockett until he departs,

image.png.929213091c0493c6bdcec2a5a9a8f77b.png

Defenders

Just like last season we kept it fairly settled at the back, and just like last season it feels like Tobias Hore and Nathan Heard did okay as the Centre Halves but both should really do a little bit better. Both should handle the step up and have similar years next year. In reserve Matthew Tuck and Gary O'Connor (both 2029/30 intake) got some experience but they are not ready for a regular starting spot. Alan Murray will get some chances next year.

At Left Back Mikie Giurgi was the main man again. 13 assists was a solid effort. Jamal Reittie made some contributions and maybe if he had had a season like this before then he would have been closer to Giurgi's spot, He departs. We are a little light of natural Left Backs if Giurgi gets injured, but have plenty of centre-backs who could fill in. 

Right Back was Luke Green. A very solid season. His best return for goals as well. Isaac Wright dropped off a bit and is firmly 2nd choice, Cody Lillis is shaping up to put some pressure on green next season.

James Jones and Godwin Zakari are both leaving at the end of the season.

image.png.5ad0b8c99d90cbc606a2c3fd72b0ff54.png

Midfielders

We have a lot of options. Left Winger Chardonie Kitenge, I may have mentioned this a dozen or so times, is about to leave. He'll be a massive blow. It's between Josh Vernon or Rui Coelho to start next season. Hopefully one of the two steps up to the task. Right hand side was Isaac Aboagye and he had a class year, 6 goals, 9 assists, and was fairly injury free. Isaac Pollock is coming up the rails fast though. That'll be a hum dinger of a battle next year. If all else fails, Hlynur Einarsson is still sulking about.

In the middle, Kern Bamford and Matt Matthews lead the way. Both good enough for the level we were at, Bamford is good enough for higher, whilst Matthews may have peaked. Billy Mann is rated by the scouts, the opposition clubs and the coaches, but as yet, not really delivered. He managed 43 games in total, but 1 goal, 4 assists is not quite enough, when you compare it to Bamford and Matthews. Dean Mackenzie continue to complain about not playing. And when he does, he does OK but doesn't stand out enough. Charlie Varley is highly rated and there are a few guys with 4 star potential who haven't yet featured.

image.png.1102296d70cabc142aba5d1154abfffd.png

Strikers

The match winners. Ryan Robinson and Rhys Lavery - we would be in the United Counties League without these two. Both will handle the step up and if they both reach 20 again then we may be towards the top. I have no idea of the boards expectations as yet, but they will be key.

Conor Baldwin featured more and did alright, although his potential doesn't suggest much. Jules Mawete is a likable guy but he just can't seem to find the back of the net.

Loric Bitumba just can't force himself in and is leaving at the end of the season. I have high hopes for Jahdahn Borrill.

image.png.67e32e859fbde76adedb6d7f3dde7751.png

We made 74k profit this year, but the majority of that was the Charlton games. There is certainly no money to improve any of the facilities, but it's producing good enough players for us to be competitive at Step 7 I think.

image.png.3c23f4db3ccc36e296822d2580b97bef.png

Lots of contract discussions are taking place. Rhys Lavery is wanting far more than we can offer, but the main bulk of the key players are secured for 2 more seasons

image.png.d8f4cc8cba6429b155d1cab8fa68b1b5.png

In terms of ex-players - no-one is playing at a higher level than us, or in fact having any sort of decent time of things. Tim Berry, out on loan to Larkhill is the best average rating for a regular starter, with John Judge doing better, but not starting as many.  With both Lockett and Kitenge entering these ranks soon, it'll be interesting to see where they end up. I'll be annoyed if they retire.

image.thumb.png.4c8c6e8eb765c4f5ad0a35ff89fe7192.png

image.thumb.png.0f737badc7c51cc07c946157c75ffac0.png

Pre-Season 2031/32

A few players are getting annoyed right now. None that are important, Hlynur Einarsson demanded a new deal, he's 4th fourth-choice right winger and I said no. So he left on a free transfer.

Manni Lascelles (3rd choice keeper) has moved to Maltby Main, for the sake of his career he needs to be playing every week.

Dean Mackenzie is unhappy because that's his default position. He's transfer-listed and out of contract in the summer. I'll sell him if I get a cash amount offered. Free transfer, not interested.

In other news.

The board have created a link up with Coventry City

• We can get loan players... lol
  • We will get £16k per year, host a friendly, and take all the earnings from that.

They should prove to be a decent little earner

The move to the higher level has meant we have been able to bring in some more staff. Both O'Sullivan and Rose have professional football on their CVs. O'Sullivan has good knowledge of Wales so maybe that'll mean we get some of their players coming through.

image.png.30c2d0f36bbc666500af00be0dd75d82.png

We've also had a regional move. We are no longer in the Northern section, we now call the Southern League our home - the Premier Central league.

We are very highly fancied - which is a bit scary.

Local rivals are:

• GNG Oadby (8.5 miles)
  • Harborough (10.7 miles)
  • Kirby Muxloe (12.9 miles)
  • Anstey Nomads (16.6 miles)
  • Loughborough Students (24.1 miles)

image.png.86ec02bb42a8ce2bf1893f632485cffe.png

A heavy degree of rotation across the friendlies. The Coventry match bought in £5k

image.png.93937a90fc04704221e38b1f7312b600.png

August 2031

Into the unknown.

Rhys Lavery wants huge money to stay, but if he keeps scoring winners, then he and his agent might be right. Not that we afford him.

But that doesn't matter...

I think the save file is broken.

The FA Cup is stuck on last year. It should have started by now but there are no fixtures. I've created a save version and holidayed for 50 days and still no FA Cup generated.

I've raised it as a bug, BUT it's an FM23 save file, a custom database and I don't have a save file before the season updated so I think we are completely toast.

image.thumb.png.f5c7a638d93a733963c6d237537693f6.png

That’s not great :(

Have you tried holidaying into next season to see if this is a one season bug? Had this in my save in West Africa where the league in Ivory Coast didn’t run for year, but resumed after a season.

On 16/01/2024 at 03:07, corinthiano said:

That’s not great :(

Have you tried holidaying into next season to see if this is a one season bug? Had this in my save in West Africa where the league in Ivory Coast didn’t run for year, but resumed after a season.

At some point i might. Still too annoyed with it at the moment