Signing players to amateur contracts

I've started a save with a team in the Northern League D2 (level 10). All of my players at the beginning of the game are on amateur contracts (non-contract with no appearance fee). For some reason, I cannot sign any new players on the same terms, I'm assuming because the clubs at this level are all set to semi-professional. However, other teams in my league are signing players on amateur contracts (one has signed Michael Chopra). I've lost 3-4 players to teams a couple of leagues above who can offer a small appearance fee, but I can't replace these players as my wage budget is almost non-existent. 

Can someone help? 

I'm playing a game with a step eight club (Wearside League Division One - I know how to live it up...) and likewise it's an amateur club and the players I've signed have defaulted to amateur contracts.

It might come down to the quality of player you're signing but I'm not sure.

I actually got promoted to step seven and am now finding it harder to recruit amateur players as most want non-contract at the very least.

Probably a hard one for SI given they don't officially support those levels that far down the pyramid and you're almost relying on the database creator a bit.

If you've got the in-game editor, maybe switch the club to 'semi-professional' on there. Technically cheating I guess but would open up financial options (however limited they may be) and you'd still only be able to sign those who want to come.

I think I'd have to edit the club to amateur. It's set to semi-professional to begin with, which is probably accurate to be fair. It just makes the game very difficult to play. The wage budgets should be higher to accommodate the appearance fees and it would be much more realistic. 

Out of interest, who are you playing as?