wide target man

WP

WM

Treq 

regista 

wide AP (ish) 

RPM (ish)

Anchor (ish) 

I specifically would love to see some success with a number 10. The idea of a Treq/enganche dominating a game has always filled me with joy, watching the likes of Totti/Riquelme when I was younger. Replicating that (even slightly) in game has always proved too challenging for me. 

Edited by josh.miller92

Excuse the ratemytactic screenshot (as usual it says my tactic  - that I know works with the right players - is not up to scratch :lol:), I'm at work so FM isn't loaded.

image.png.4cd337b85ada332084c048d27f517b31.png

I got the WTM working in this specific system by putting the Playmaker close to him and using support roles on the opposite side, allowing him to find space and isolate the opposition FB. The direct balls played out to him in the buildup were mostly layed off to the AP(A) who either carried the ball, used the gaps that came through the switch of play to find the Advanced Forward or recycled via the DM, BBM and IW, allowing the WTM to drift up front again. He scored lots of goals by holding up the ball, interchanging passes with the AP/AF and being played in off the opposition FB. He also assisted 15-20 times a season with cutbacks and through balls to the AF. Finally, while recycling, he could target the oppositon FB and if the WB(S) or the IW(S) tried a deep cross to his side, he would often win the header, scoring 5-10 goals a season or knocking it down for another player.

Obviously this isn't the only way to get the WTM working but it's how I achieved it. My WTM was also fast and technical, a classic lumbering Target Man would probably struggle in this set up. And of course you need a really intelligent and fast Playmaker to pull it off too.

Edited by felley

WM is basically David Beckham. Just for fun I recreated him in the editor. Natural position WM, support duty. Slow, can’t dribble, runs all day and bangs in 100 whipped crosses and 100 corners a game.

It was awesome. Big guy up front causing havoc with the knockdown, midfielders running onto long passes, headed goals by defenders.

The role is a proper throwback. Everyone’s a winger these days.

I’ve never got an old-school #10 AP or Enganche working in recent FMs. This reflects real life, where those roles have been crushed by double DM pivots and pressing.

A DLF(S) is probably the closest you can get in this FM. Or go the other way and make them more of a goal threat as an SS (which is arguably what Totti was).

BTW Totti fans did you know his son Cristian is in the game? 18 yr old, moved recently from Roma youth team to Frosinone.

3 hours ago, felley said:

Excuse the ratemytactic screenshot (as usual it says my tactic  - that I know works with the right players - is not up to scratch :lol:), I'm at work so FM isn't loaded.

image.png.4cd337b85ada332084c048d27f517b31.png

I got the WTM working in this specific system by putting the Playmaker close to him and using support roles on the opposite side, allowing him to find space and isolate the opposition FB. The direct balls played out to him in the buildup were mostly layed off to the AP(A) who either carried the ball, used the gaps that came through the switch of play to find the Advanced Forward or recycled via the DM, BBM and IW, allowing the WTM to drift up front again. He scored lots of goals by holding up the ball, interchanging passes with the AP/AF and being played in off the opposition FB. He also assisted 15-20 times a season with cutbacks and through balls to the AF. Finally, while recycling, he could target the oppositon FB and if the WB(S) or the IW(S) tried a deep cross to his side, he would often win the header, scoring 5-10 goals a season or knocking it down for another player.

Obviously this isn't the only way to get the WTM working but it's how I achieved it. My WTM was also fast and technical, a classic lumbering Target Man would probably struggle in this set up. And of course you need a really intelligent and fast Playmaker to pull it off too.

This is very good 👍🏻

36 minutes ago, NineCloudNine said:

I’ve never got an old-school #10 AP or Enganche working in recent FMs. This reflects real life, where those roles have been crushed by double DM pivots and pressing.

A DLF(S) is probably the closest you can get in this FM. Or go the other way and make them more of a goal threat as an SS (which is arguably what Totti was).

BTW Totti fans did you know his son Cristian is in the game? 18 yr old, moved recently from Roma youth team to Frosinone.

I know it won’t work but I’m thinking of a 442 diamond:

wb s

2 x CD

wb s

HB

BBM

Mezz

enganche

poacher

TF s

underlap left and right So we’ve got 4 players for the enganche to hit plus the target forward to knock down for poacher or enganche

slightly more direct / standard tempo

mid block but aggressive and counter 

1 hour ago, josh.miller92 said:

wb s

2 x CD

wb s

HB

BBM

Mezz

enganche

poacher

TF s

underlap left and right So we’ve got 4 players for the enganche to hit plus the target forward to knock down for poacher or enganche

I think your midfield will get overrun, but I hope not! Good luck!

On 12/01/2024 at 15:58, NineCloudNine said:

WM is basically David Beckham. Just for fun I recreated him in the editor. Natural position WM, support duty. Slow, can’t dribble, runs all day and bangs in 100 whipped crosses and 100 corners a game.

It was awesome. Big guy up front causing havoc with the knockdown, midfielders running onto long passes, headed goals by defenders.

The role is a proper throwback. Everyone’s a winger these days.

Love a WM(s). It's a great place to put the guy who can just kick the ball really well. JWP in past versions was my go to, but this time round it's been Bruno Fernandes in a 4411.

On 12/01/2024 at 16:43, josh.miller92 said:

wb s

2 x CD

wb s

HB

BBM

Mezz

enganche

poacher

TF s

I've been toying with a similar role setup to this as a potential 4231-killer. The positional play rotations with that midfield should - in theory - give you a 3v2 right in front of their defence in possession. A half back wouldn't be my choice for DM though. Surely somebody's gotta maintain the illusion of staying in midfield?

1 hour ago, vrig said:

A half back wouldn't be my choice for DM though. Surely somebody's gotta maintain the illusion of staying in midfield?

The halfback positional movement in FM24 is really smooth. In possession, he drops between the CBs, who move out to make a back three (this assumes your FB/WBs have pushed up). Out of possession he steps up and the CBs close up. It’s really quick and seamless. It makes the HB the focus of the team - deep playmaker in possession, defensive focus out of possession.

Finally, just as he is close to retirememt, SI have managed to rereate what Sergio Busquets did for 15 years.

Edited by NineCloudNine

Yeah you’re right the HB didn’t really work in this system (but agree with above that the role works beautifully in general) but I think this was partly due to trying to play more direct.

I tried an Anchor instead with more success. 

The system was a little leaky albeit I didn’t use it for too long before trying a 4231 with enganche, early signs are it’s a better tactic.

I've used at least a Treq(wide usually) on any tactic i created before FM24;

The wide midfielder, if you're using a 3 at the back + a defensive midfielder is one of the best ways to attack;

For the wide target man you gotta have a really complete player. Someone you don't find that easily but, once you have it, he's gonna be brutal;

Thought a lot of people used the Regista and the RPM

1 hour ago, Andrew Marines said:

The wide midfielder, if you're using a 3 at the back + a defensive midfielder is one of the best ways to attack;

Could you roughly outline your set up for this idea ? Mainly a formation/roles you've found productive. 

I'm currently toying with a 3atb. I'm looking to not use wb, so something like a 3-1-4-2 (or even better a single striker approach) is looking like my best bet, but I'm lacking inspiration currently. I'm naturally evolving from a 4231 where I've got an abundance of players in midfield and wide, but very few good Lb/RB options (and the good one I've got would fit playing further up).