Position Change Conversations

steve.battisti

Players often get annoyed when you play them out of position. But it's a super common throughout football for the manager to play players in different positions than what they are familiar with, especially with younger players. There really should be some conversation options related to position changes, that you can initiate. They could be things like:

• This team needs someone like you in the middle of the pitch. I know you're more used to playing fullback, but I really think you could make a difference for us there. 
  • I'd like to try you at inverted fullback. That requires you to play from the opposite side of the pitch from your stronger foot. Are you willing to give it a try?
  • I think you could be a fantastic central midfielder. Not only could you make a difference for the team, but having that kind of versatility can only improve your marketability in the future.
  • We're in a tough spot right now due to the transfer embargo. We need you to step up and play defensive midfielder for a few games until we can make some transfers. (This could be a promise.)

And if the player reacts well, then they wouldn't whinge incessantly about being played out of position.

• 3 months later...