Playing time "Star Player"

Am I justifiably annoyed that my Star Player complains for not getting enough playing time when I don't play him in any league games before European Cup games? Or am I supposed to play him literally every game and wait to get injured or be out of breath in the actual important games?

kp.png.b72ebbe3138350d8b62e4fcc47a72dfb.png

Yep, it's crazy. In the modern era of football being a squad game, I am having to get rid of my best player. I played in English Div2 & am now in Div 1. I have to drop him for some games because he's unfit. Even the personal assistant sent me messages numerous times last season that he needs a rest. Whether I rest him or play him for most matches, he's still not happy. So, he's got to go. The ironic thing is - which brings up another issue, is that he'll probably go to a team in Div 2 or Vanarama National & be happy to be a 'fringe player' for a lot less money. (I have had this happen multiple times - not only in this version of FM. 

A superb game but some fundamental errors that could really do with ironing out rather than thinking of additional features.

I eventually have my entire starting squad as Regular Starter. Then have them agree to be squad players with the rest of the club being emergency backups. IF you are a high rep manager or club legend the players almost never say no.

I right click them go to change squad select regular starter. I instantly get 11 emails complaining. I tell each one we need playing time for everyone. 95% of them agree. I do this several times every single season. My league only has 24 matches per season my starters are lucky to see 14 league matches a season.

Even if I sign a new player to Star. First day I drop him to regular or squad player. If I cant talk to them I just let them get mad. The entire club is against them since it is their Day 1 and they drop it after 3 months or whatever.

I have multiple world class players as emergency backup.

You just have to actively manage it. As the bulk of your team will only agree to 1 or 2 spots. So you have to constantly drop them 1-2 spots. Then rinse and repeat.

But honestly there is nothing wrong with just letting players complain. If your squad and tactics are good team dynamics has little impact on out come of matches. Since I am in a low reputation league with 11+ world class players I literally have 20 players mad at me for not accepting 500k bids from PSG. My answer is NO. Still made 7 straight Champions League Finals and won 4 of them and I am a team in Andorra. Started semi pro 1 spot above San Marino. So yeah dynamics is extremely overrated. It effects things it is just if you actually good the impact isnt noticeable. 

Attributes and Tactics far far far out weigh team dynamics. Dont give into the players. The only time you have to consider a request is if their contract is expiring and you want to resign. Because it can take 6-9+ months to stop being unhappy which means Jan 1st other teams can sign them on a free. So depends what day they go unhappy. 

My team goes through a cycle a top team makes absurd offer like 2 million for a top 5 world beater player. I say no. It takes 2 full transfer window cycles for a player to drop the issue. Then I have down time day 1 of the very next transfer window the cycle repeats. I wait for the lull in between cycles to resign my players. In my save it is Fall 2036 so I wait for the gaps in cycle to resign 2038 expiring contracts. Then it is a 5 year deal and 3 year extension 0 loyalty bonus. I rather pay higher salary then loyalty bonus I dont mind agent bonuses.

I sign over the hill world class players on the free and they want like 5 million bonus. Then it isnt FREE. I lock 0 in. Give them higher salary then dump them for 15+ million in the summer. The max I can get for young world class players is 30 million so 15 million for a backup over the hill guy is pretty good for my save. Especially if you can move 3 a year.

Sorry long story short micro manage squad playing status and say No to players dont be afraid

6 hours ago, JimmysTheBestCop said:

I eventually have my entire starting squad as Regular Starter. Then have them agree to be squad players with the rest of the club being emergency backups. IF you are a high rep manager or club legend the players almost never say no.

I right click them go to change squad select regular starter. I instantly get 11 emails complaining. I tell each one we need playing time for everyone. 95% of them agree. I do this several times every single season. My league only has 24 matches per season my starters are lucky to see 14 league matches a season.

Even if I sign a new player to Star. First day I drop him to regular or squad player. If I cant talk to them I just let them get mad. The entire club is against them since it is their Day 1 and they drop it after 3 months or whatever.

You just have to actively manage it. As the bulk of your team will only agree to 1 or 2 spots. So you have to constantly drop them 1-2 spots. Then rinse and repeat.

But honestly there is nothing wrong with just letting players complain. If your squad and tactics are good team dynamics has little impact on out come of matches. Since I am in a low reputation league with 11+ world class players I literally have 20 players mad at me for not accepting 500k bids from PSG. My answer is NO. Still made 7 straight Champions League Finals and won 4 of them and I am a team in Andorra. Started semi pro 1 spot above San Marino. So yeah dynamics is extremely overrated. It effects things it is just if you actually good the impact isnt noticeable. 

Attributes and Tactics far far far out weigh team dynamics. Dont give into the players. The only time you have to consider a request is if their contract is expiring and you want to resign. Because it can take 6-9+ months to stop being unhappy which means Jan 1st other teams can sign them on a free. So depends what day they go unhappy. 

My team goes through a cycle a top team makes absurd offer like 2 million for a top 5 world beater player. I say no. It takes 2 full transfer window cycles for a player to drop the issue. Then I have down time day 1 of the very next transfer window the cycle repeats. I wait for the lull in between cycles to resign my players. In my save it is Fall 2036 so I wait for the gaps in cycle to resign 2038 expiring contracts. Then it is a 5 year deal and 3 year extension 0 loyalty bonus. I rather pay higher salary then loyalty bonus I dont mind agent bonuses.

I sign over the hill world class players on the free and they want like 5 million bonus. Then it isnt FREE. I lock 0 in. Give them higher salary then dump them for 15+ million in the summer. The max I can get for young world class players is 30 million so 15 million for a backup over the hill guy is pretty good for my save. Especially if you can move 3 a year.

Sorry long story short micro manage squad playing status and say No to players dont be afraid

Very interesting read. I've been playing FM forever & love the game. Like you, I am many seasons in, so sounds like you enjoy it too. 

Thanks for the tips!

1 hour ago, Brodie21 said:

Very interesting read. I've been playing FM forever & love the game. Like you, I am many seasons in, so sounds like you enjoy it too. 

Thanks for the tips!

This will probably be my longest save ever. I actually started it in Fm23 when Fm24 launched I was waiting for all the patches. But it is so challenging I am not sure if I will finish it before Fm25 comes out. So it might get imported to Fm25 as well lol.

I really want to get Andorra to #1 or #2. I'll settle for 3rd ranked league lmao.

We need to be allowed to choose to tell players we intend to rest them, rather than wait for the game to decide they need a rest and then we can have the conversation.

Its frustrating that we have a stamina / fitness system that imo seems harsher than real life requiring more rotation but we haven't all the tools to manage it via communication.

Edited by dunk105

9 hours ago, dunk105 said:

We need to be allowed to choose to tell players we intend to rest them, rather than wait for the game to decide they need a rest and then we can have the conversation.

Its frustrating that we have a stamina / fitness system that imo seems harsher than real life requiring more rotation but we haven't all the tools to manage it via communication.

That is already in the game. You can tell players you are resting but they might disagree

14 hours ago, dunk105 said:

It's already there that option.

I haven’t had any problems with occasionally benching or subbing off a star player to give them a break. Leaving them out of the squad entirely is more likely to cause tension, but I still do it for easier matches a few times a season. 

On 18/01/2024 at 03:02, JimmysTheBestCop said:

Good read. I also have no-one in my squad above regular starter. Straight after the last match of the season I go through my players and adjust starting time. If they complain I use the 'there is a lot of competition in your position' option. As you mention, many players are fine with that, particularly when your rep/discipline is higher. The ones that spit the dummy I've found almost always drop the issue before the next season begins, so you don't have an unhappy player for an important fixture.

3 hours ago, stevie_G_32201 said:

This is why i hate giving players "Star player" as a playing time. they have to be injured before you can give them a break.

It is why you have to micro manage playing time 2-3 times per season then every season for new players. Example the few youth players that will sign for your team from other clubs will demand Star Player must be some low priority bug it existed in FM23 ever since they removed the insane exploited poaching from prior games.

But you can instantly change it you youth prospect on Day 1. Player will be like why and you say competition and they are like ok cool.

if not you can sign under 18 they always demand Star Player even though they are gonna be on your u18 for 2-3 years.

Everything is better in the game when you micro manage everything it is just some players dont got time for it.