Bad IWB Match Rating, need help...

My team is doing well overall, but I keep getting below average rating for my IWB. I bought Ivan Fresneda (supposedly one of the better players on FM24), but he also underperformed.

image.thumb.png.e602e5071501e84d2c718b89a766ebee.png

image.thumb.png.586db2575376c4c79e90f9c157da431b.png

Here's my tactic:

image.png.bba5d54f0de0be44f448fb1b89ab4383.png

I'm perfectly happy with my results, but unfortunately not my IWB. Is there something that I can try to rectify this problem? Thanks!

On 18.01.2024 at 10:06, rwidodo said:

My team is doing well overall, but I keep getting below average rating for my IWB. I bought Ivan Fresneda (supposedly one of the better players on FM24), but he also underperformed.

image.thumb.png.e602e5071501e84d2c718b89a766ebee.png

image.thumb.png.586db2575376c4c79e90f9c157da431b.png

Here's my tactic:

image.png.bba5d54f0de0be44f448fb1b89ab4383.png

I'm perfectly happy with my results, but unfortunately not my IWB. Is there something that I can try to rectify this problem? Thanks!

I guess match raitings not say too much to us actually. If my team perform well, I dont care about it too much. I use very similar set-up like yours. I tend to replace my players if they perform under 6.5 and I am confident in my tactic and think the problem is caused by the player. Otherwise I make tactical changes where I see problems. In your case, it might be player issue most of matches. Your tactic is not look like so unbalanced to me. And also, dont forget every opposition not play same against you. You are playing 3-2 rest defence for now and some oppositions could try to counter this rest defence. I like IWB-MEZ-W combo but you could need something else in some matches. 

13 hours ago, Andrew Marines said:

Watch the data analysis of a match he under-performed to see why he gets low ratings first thing first

He lost possession a lot, and failed to make a single key pass for the whole match. Only goals and assists will get him a decent rating sadly

12 hours ago, ibrahim.akbyk said:

I guess match raitings not say too much to us actually. If my team perform well, I dont care about it too much. I use very similar set-up like yours. I tend to replace my players if they perform under 6.5 and I am confident in my tactic and think the problem is caused by the player. Otherwise I make tactical changes where I see problems. In your case, it might be player issue most of matches. Your tactic is not look like so unbalanced to me. And also, dont forget every opposition not play same against you. You are playing 3-2 rest defence for now and some oppositions could try to counter this rest defence. I like IWB-MEZ-W combo but you could need something else in some matches. 

Yeah, I played 2 seasons using IWB with good results. However, I still want my IWB to stand out (in positive fashion obviously). In real life, players like Trent, Cancelo, Rico Lewis, Zinchenko are different makers. Stats might not show it but they really help teams in build up play and overloading the middle. IMO good IWBs should stand out more even if they're not assisting or scoring.

7 hours ago, rwidodo said:

He lost possession a lot, and failed to make a single key pass for the whole match. Only goals and assists will get him a decent rating sadly

That can be caused by asking a player to take risks with passing when he’s not good enough to make it work. You are asking him to be a midfielder in possession, perhaps even a playmaker. Does he have the attributes for this?

TAA gives the ball away more than average IRL, but that’s because he is asked to try game-changing passes. And he’s one of the very best passers in the league. 

Edited by NineCloudNine

2 hours ago, NineCloudNine said:

That can be caused by asking a player to take risks with passing when he’s not good enough to make it work. You are asking him to be a midfielder in possession, perhaps even a playmaker. Does he have the attributes for this?

TAA gives the ball away more than average IRL, but that’s because he is asked to try game-changing passes. And he’s one of the very best passers in the league. 

That's why I bought 2 decent players for the position (Fresneda & Hickey) because at first I thought I didn't have good enough players to play that position. But Fresneda has been below par for 2 seasons now. Both players don't have Trent's vision and passing but possess good enough composure and decision to play the IWB position. I never expect them to top the league in assists nor average match rating, but I expect around 7.1 average (around my team's average).

I also did not add anything on their PIs since both players don't have superb vision and passing.

Edited by rwidodo
Forgot to mention

I haven't even been able to make TAA work well as an IWB. Or at least, not as well as be works as a CWB. That might well be because crossing is very strong in FM24 and he's very good at that. I wrote a bit about it here:

It's just not going to be a sexy role in FM ratings I think, my one is in a similar set-up to OP has and AVG of 7.02 but this was inflated by two assists in one match both of which were bog standard progressive passes to the Mezzala in front of him who took two long shots and scored screamers with both of them. Therein is the problem imo, the Mezzala has twice done something I specifically don't want him to and because he has and it's actually worked, suddenly my IWB is being given credit for it. MY IWB is in the 90th percentile in all top leagues for progressive passes per game but the only time he gets given credit for this in game is here:

Screenshot2024-01-22075351.png.7fbc652d73bfe6170ccf9a3a2df3f143.png

This pass has gone from a progressive pass to a key pass and if Francho hits the net it becomes an assist(this was one of three long shots and this one missed.) Only one player in that combination above is doing what I want(and he does it every game) and yet the only time he gets credit for it is when the player in front of him does something I don't want.

The one thing I have recently taken from Rashidis posts and vids is to look at the XG Chains after matches and when I drill down in to that I can see that my IWB is an unsung hero. These two are from the same match where the IWB ended with a 6.9 rating.

Raking through ball that put our striker in behind the defence till he prevaricated and eventually when he shot it was blocked.

Screenshot2024-01-22082427.png.e16a33d416720ffcbc702014ac7123d7.png

Interception and then a progressive pass which ended with the shot hitting the post. 

Screenshot2024-01-22082723.png.b0ae4b85f969352e08f4e76ecb114a3e.png

If I look at my IWB's numbers  he's largely doing what I want him to do, I would be critical of how many shots he takes per game and work on that part of the tactical side, but if it weren't for one game where a player took three shots from outside of the box my IWB's rating would probably be 6.8, so drill down and see what's happening but I wouldn't fret too much over it.

image.png.c5b4932d6c6200937c01e39b06cd2afa.png

Player himself could be the issue. Fresneda I see as more of an Attacking RB rather than IWB. Have you tried to mirror the tactic and see how Hickey does as the IWB.

Maybe the problem is that the DLP is getting to see the majority of the ball and Fresneda doesn't see it much other than when defending his channel?

Maybe try moving your DLP over to sit just behind your BBM allowing Fresneda more space to move into thus creating a box of 4 much like Liverpool are at the moment.