What is the ideal role for two man midfielder in 523 wide

image.png.099bb771d3eaedd8b00d5a5cb77744f6.png

I want to make fluid counter-attack 523 wide work but i can't seem to grasps what should be two man midfield to function in this tactic.Does the ball run it down the wings or in the center,narrow or widd?How does the midfield should be in this?

They generally shouldn't be getting too far forward unless there's an IWB or something to add cover in the middle. The obvious shape to build up into would be 3-2-5, or 2-3-5 with a libero, so a DLP and a ballwinner would probably be the orthodox choice. 

When playing against a 4-4-2 I play 5-2-3 with an CM(s) and an AP(s), but the advanced playmaker is instructed to man-mark their deepest centre mid. the CM(s) is told to hold position, and marks the other one.

On 19/01/2024 at 08:55, nevercora said:

image.png.099bb771d3eaedd8b00d5a5cb77744f6.png

I want to make fluid counter-attack 523 wide work but i can't seem to grasps what should be two man midfield to function in this tactic.Does the ball run it down the wings or in the center,narrow or widd?How does the midfield should be in this?

You don't want to use a Mez in a two man midfield. If you want a forward runner from a midfield two I would recommend the SV.

Also consider a BWM(d), a classic partnership for the DLP(s). 

13 hours ago, nevercora said:

At least one midfield need to hold position so we don't get overwhelmed by opposition midfield team.What if we have both midfields to hold position?Does it worse?

Fine - you'll build up into a 3-2-5 shape. Might be a little predictable but ultimately comes down to the quality of your front 5. Use a libero or WCB to make it a 2-3-5 or 2-2-6 and add a bit of fluidity if you like.

Edited by ceefax the cat