How strong is the correlation between playing ability and coaching ability?

Despite having played far too much FM over the last 10 years, I can't think of a time where one of my former players has become a really good coach. I've read suggestions that the coaching ca and pa of retired players is totally random, but I somewhat doubt that. While there is undoubtedly a cognitative bias involved as I am less likely to remember an unknown serie c player who goes on to become a top manager in game compared to a former world class player, I am almost certain that the latter are considerably more likely to become top coaches, simply because it would be extremely rare to see a top player as a head coach given that they make up a very small proportion of the database. I am pretty sure that reputation does carry over, which would cause former top players to be overrepresented, but I'm wondering if there is anything else. 

Any thoughts or experiences regarding this would be appreciated. If someone from the dev team wants to and is allowed to chip in that would be great as well :). I'm assuming it wouldn't actually be that hard to run an experiment for someone with better coding skills and more time than myself, so if anyone has done that their input would be much appreciated. 

To get a precise answer, you'd have to get the code of this function. I imagine it would be a lot of X's and Y's put together for a number to come up that represents a coaching skill. 

Part of me is curious to see, but another part of me wouldn't due to it ruining the immersion.  

5 hours ago, Brasilia88 said:

To get a precise answer, you'd have to get the code of this function. I imagine it would be a lot of X's and Y's put together for a number to come up that represents a coaching skill. 

Part of me is curious to see, but another part of me wouldn't due to it ruining the immersion.  

Yes, that's what I meant by the last bit. Given that there are plenty of tools that can pull data out of fm, you'd just have to pull out coach ca pa, player ca pa, reputation, maybe time before first job and maybe coaching badge. Control for the last 3, look for correlation in the first four.