Custom/Fictional Nations: How Good are San Marino, Malta, and Monaco for Replacement?

JG2400

As I am asking in the title.

The hypothetical nations would most likely be Italic in nature, and those three nations are closest without being Italy proper.

I know San Marino is a popular choice, and Malta seems semi-popular. Monaco seems rather rare.

Monaco would be rare because they're not really in the game. ie. you'd have to edit international competitions to include them and somebody would also be permanently left out of UEFA club competitions (since there's a 54 nation cap). Wouldn't be surprised if there is some implementation of them in the game already too, at least when I add Monaco a couple players already have Monagasque nationality, and their tax rules may be in in some way as well. So if you're going to make the effort of adding an additional nation most people just use Ireland (pre-1922) since it's more of a blank slate than Monaco is.

Having used Malta myself, its pretty good as there don't tend to be too many issues. The only one I've never been able to solve is the 'greyed out' players still having VERY Maltese names. Luckily, the regens don't have the same issue as far less generate with Maltese names.