Overall table for cup competition

rijclt

10 hours ago, rijclt said:

Not sure if it's possible with tweaking "Matches from other stage", it seems like it can only transfer league standings.

You could with cup standings in previous versions, not sure what combination of the new settings you'd need

It's possible. Use matches from other stage and also under Other Stage Rules use Take Stage Results Into Other Stage.

I've got it working in my AFL file to make a league table from African Champions League cup round matches. The file isn't finished yet, need to make some changes so the winner is properly recorded, but the league table part works. Here it is if you want to take a look: x African Football League.fmf

IIRC the Brazilian Sao Paulo state championship does it too, so you could have a look at that as well. It takes results from both the group stage and the knockout stage to make an overall table.

Edited by rusty217

hace 2 horas, rusty217 dijo:

It's possible. Use matches from other stage and also under Other Stage Rules use Take Stage Results Into Other Stage.

I've got it working in my AFL file to make a league table from African Champions League cup round matches. The file isn't finished yet, need to make some changes so the winner is properly recorded, but the league table part works. Here it is if you want to take a look: x African Football League.fmf

IIRC the Brazilian Sao Paulo state championship does it too, so you could have a look at that as well. It takes results from both the group stage and the knockout stage to make an overall table.

Thanks for the tip! I wasn't able to open your file so I looked at Sao Paulo State Championship, it's almost perfect except for one thing - in my test, there is a quarter-finalist that is ranked higher than a semi-finalist because the quarter-finalist has more points (using the 2018 World Cup example, it would be Quarter-finalist Uruguay with 12 points ranking above Semi-finalist England with 10 points).

hace 12 horas, sptndc dijo:

It requires league sorting rules of the games played as well, hopefully SI will add it in future updates.

I understand the reason for that is by default all teams are ranked by points; there does need to be a separate setting to rank teams (for a lack of better term, "league ranking rules") where we can specify that teams should be ranked by games played first, then total points. However, I don't think league sorting rules is the right place for this, since it's for sorting teams on same points.

Edited by rijclt

8 minutes ago, rijclt said:

since it's for sorting teams on same points.

As I can remember, I once tried to change the sorting rules using games won first before points and it worked.

hace 24 minutos, sptndc dijo:

As I can remember, I once tried to change the sorting rules using games won first before points and it worked.

Yes you are totally right, I had no idea as I had never tried to set league sorting rules in any unconventional way. 

Though I'm thinking even sorting by games played is not enough - it is still possible that semi-finalists can rank higher than finalists when there is a third place playoff, where the top 4 all play the same number of games. 

See above example, Belgium would still be above Croatia sorting by games played and total points.

Edit: Another scenario is where some teams have played additional games in qualifying or playoff rounds, e.g. a Europa League quarter-finalist can rank above a semi-finalist with same number of games played, if the quarter-finalist had to play the knockout round playoffs.

Edited by rijclt

hmm, is it possible to sort by ranking levels? The finalist, runner-up, 3rd and 4th placed teams would be rank 0, 1, 2 & 3 respectively so would be in the top 4 spots, in order. Then the quarter finalists would all be rank 4 so would then be sorted from 5th to 8th based on overall wins/draws/goal difference. And so on.