[FM23] Players can't score

I am running two different tactics and both have been having the same problem for over a season now - they get plenty of chances, win on Xg but can't score to save their lives. The Inside Forwards always blast it over the goal like they are trying to hit the moon and the center forward always makes the opposition goalie look like some kind of unstoppable hero. At the same time, the other teams either can't miss or sneak in a lucky goal.

For one season I suspect this was the low quality of my team, but I've upgraded them now, and they play better but with the same outcomes.

This is a stats screen from a match I lost 4-0, but shows a fairly typical story (my team is Blackpool). The shots on target isn't a fair reflection of the amount of good chances they had:

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-01-21230723.png.eebc1286e8c9f30ebfdd707d8b56b2a3.png

These are the two tactics I am running:

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-01-21230759.png.38014d8bd32cc9c6d705cc4b67308744.png

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-01-21230809.png.a14bba02de5f1dae8fdd7f686c073e43.png

Morale is pretty high, as is squad cohesion. I've waited for things to balance out and return to the mean, but at this point I am starting to feel like the game is bugged or simply just has it in for me. I'll take any suggestions at this point!

Always hard to say exactly what is happening without seeing the tactic and your players live, but the xG alone shows you aren’t creating quality chances.

Running the numbers quickly, 18 shots and 1.84 xG means an average of 0.1 xG per shot. Assuming you had a few 0.2 or maybe a 0.3 chances, the bulk of your shots are much lower.

Compare it to Charlton who have 0.15 xG per shot, it seems small and you were definitely unlucky to lose 4-0, but that’s a 50% increase on your average. 

Are your players shooting from outside the area or from odd angles? Or if in the box crowded out by defenders? When you’re playing such an aggressive setup like your 4-2-3-1, you need to think about player movement much more. Is the CF(S) meant to be a creator? If so who is scoring the goals? I only see the Shadow Striker who will reliably move ahead of him. The IF(S)’s will occasionally bomb forward but their instinct will be to get involved in the buildup and take long shots when they find space.

As for the 4-3-3, I’m not sure what you’re trying to achieve. It’s aggressive without being overly committed to attacking. It looks like it could be a counter tactic but the movement on the wings is far too basic with both wide forwards cutting in. When a natural counter attack occurs, your wings are essentially vacated in the transition.

Edited by felley

6 hours ago, felley said:

Always hard to say exactly what is happening without seeing the tactic and your players live, but the xG alone shows you aren’t creating quality chances.

Running the numbers quickly, 18 shots and 1.84 xG means an average of 0.1 xG per shot. Assuming you had a few 0.2 or maybe a 0.3 chances, the bulk of your shots are much lower.

Compare it to Charlton who have 0.15 xG per shot, it seems small and you were definitely unlucky to lose 4-0, but that’s a 50% increase on your average. 

Are your players shooting from outside the area or from odd angles? Or if in the box crowded out by defenders? When you’re playing such an aggressive setup like your 4-2-3-1, you need to think about player movement much more. Is the CF(S) meant to be a creator? If so who is scoring the goals? I only see the Shadow Striker who will reliably move ahead of him. The IF(S)’s will occasionally bomb forward but their instinct will be to get involved in the buildup and take long shots when they find space.

As for the 4-3-3, I’m not sure what you’re trying to achieve. It’s aggressive without being overly committed to attacking. It looks like it could be a counter tactic but the movement on the wings is far too basic with both wide forwards cutting in. When a natural counter attack occurs, your wings are essentially vacated in the transition.

The Xg really isn't a good representation of what I saw, which were several one on ones against their keeper, shots blasted over the bar or smacked straight at a defender, loose ball not picked up etc.

The shots are a mix of inside and outside the area, and I do account for the odd stupid piece of heroics from 30 yards, but a lot of the chances  are pretty close range. The opposition do tend to get a lot of players back in the box, which I have found someone of a work around by upping the tempo and making the passing more direct.

As for the thoughts behind the tactics - Quite a lot of advice says that support role IF's are still goal scorers, but with attacking mentality they will waste good chances with aggressive shots, which I did see some of so set them to support. The Shadow striker is a big threat, getting a lot of chances which he then likes to kick straight at a defender. The complete forward is doing what I want him to, which is basically wonder around and be everywhere, which he wasn't doing as a false 9.

The 433 works fine except for the lack of goal scoring mentioned.

Generally, the team plays as I would want and expect them too, and they play well, just can't score and don't make the most of the chances they have.

3 hours ago, kopfan1977 said:

Have you tried to Lower the tempo slightly and work ball into box?

I did have a lower tempo, this just let the opposition pull all their players back before my team could get a good attack in. Work ball into the box just allows the same, and my team is weaker so such things just gives them ample opporunity to give the ball away.