Is the future of the unity engine safe?

Well that CEO resigned and he came from EA so everyone knows how EA did business. Unity has a new CEO now who has been making peace. 

Unity tends to have a royalty beef with mobile games since they sell like 10s of millions of copies. And then might cross platform to every console and PC and sell another 10 million. 

We are talking borderline AAA games. Cities Skykines 2 is published by paradox who are certainly AAA even if the developer CO isn't. CO is still independent unlike Si being a complete part of Sega. 

As popular as Fm is it has no where near the numbers of the most popular unity games. 

So Fm is as safe as it probably can be using a 3rd party engine. 

Ask the tabletop rpg players if you are truly safe when using 3rd party. You will see what wizards of the coast pulled on the gaming community of their open license. 

Unity can be bought tomorrow and taken private. Or absorbed or anything like that. 

But except for something pretty insane happening Fm is pretty safe

The linked article in Eurogamer suggests that games like FM (I.e. commercially successful) will be the most affected of by the pricing change. Given that the article appeared over 4 months ago, it would be nice if SI either gave assurances that their plans for FM25 are going forward (and some Renee of any price increases we can expect) or notice that their plans for FM25 have changed and what we can expect (late release, staying with the existing platform, etc).

57 minutes ago, gunnerfan said:

The linked article in Eurogamer suggests that games like FM (I.e. commercially successful) will be the most affected of by the pricing change. Given that the article appeared over 4 months ago, it would be nice if SI either gave assurances that their plans for FM25 are going forward (and some Renee of any price increases we can expect) or notice that their plans for FM25 have changed and what we can expect (late release, staying with the existing platform, etc).

I'd suspect when FM signed a license to use the Unity engine payments to Unity were specified in the contract. I doubt very much this affected them within this contract cycle. Unity can't just change the terms of the contract because their CEO made up some dumb pay to play idea.

6 hours ago, gunnerfan said:

Oh I would definitely say a price rise of sorts . 

No, I honestly think that any increase will be passed on to users.

Am I the only one who sees the move to Unity as a distraction that slows down or postpones bugs and unresolved issues for the umpteenth time? (Attribute spreads, poor youth intake, weird ai team management)?

Wasnt happy with the Unity announcement anyway as i deem it not a peformant engine that will run efficiently but then this engine is often used by Indy-Studios so it may be a lack if optimization.

Yet after that pricing stunt my trust in the decisionmaking of that Unity company is nil.

One thing i like FM for is that it really puts no burden on the system and i can have it run in the background doing its things while i do other stuff and have not to care for building up heat in the PC, screaming Cooler-Fans or a soaring elctricity bill.

Edited by Etebaer

9 hours ago, DottorCaligari said:

No, I honestly think that any increase will be passed on to users.

Am I the only one who sees the move to Unity as a distraction that slows down or postpones bugs and unresolved issues for the umpteenth time? (Attribute spreads, poor youth intake, weird ai team management)?

Yes.  You're absolutely right.  They've definitely decided to throw a smokescreen over bugs they're already trying to fix by... *checks notes*... moving the entire game to a completely new engine.  Nothing gets past you.

1 ora fa, forameuss ha scritto:

Yes.  You're absolutely right.  They've definitely decided to throw a smokescreen over bugs they're already trying to fix by... *checks notes*... moving the entire game to a completely new engine.  Nothing gets past you.

if ones has eyes to see...