Applying the 3-2-5 / 3-box-3 / W-M style to various Premier League teams

I like it! I use very similar team instructions but without the higher defensive line because I find that sometimes we end up compressing the space to much between the defence and midfield.

I'm not sure about 2 things. The assymetric formation, but only because I don't like to use formations the AI can't. The other is, why you need your IWB to have strenght? When team loses possession he will come back to the FB position instead of holding the mid, right? I'm asking because I don't have FM24, maybe in the new edition the IWB holds the middle a bit more before going to the FB position.

Just updated the main post with full season results, let me know what you think!

19 hours ago, bosque said:

I like it! I use very similar team instructions but without the higher defensive line because I find that sometimes we end up compressing the space to much between the defence and midfield.

I'm not sure about 2 things. The assymetric formation, but only because I don't like to use formations the AI can't. The other is, why you need your IWB to have strenght? When team loses possession he will come back to the FB position instead of holding the mid, right? I'm asking because I don't have FM24, maybe in the new edition the IWB holds the middle a bit more before going to the FB position.

The intention with the player profiles is to look for players that could play in multiple positions while still having the same role (e.g. IWB-s and DM-d). In this case, Tyler Adams can play both positions and has the attribute set needed for both, which meant that he could play where needed.

Everyday I come onto this site in hope to find threads like this one. Ab-so-lut-ley brilliant. Really looking forward to follow this<

What do you want the specific positions to achieve? I mean, like the DMs for example. Should they basically hold position, or run with the ball, or arrive late in the penalty area and so on? Should they be a DLP-d type or more Anchors? 

14 hours ago, Mutumba said:

Everyday I come onto this site in hope to find threads like this one. Ab-so-lut-ley brilliant. Really looking forward to follow this<

What do you want the specific positions to achieve? I mean, like the DMs for example. Should they basically hold position, or run with the ball, or arrive late in the penalty area and so on? Should they be a DLP-d type or more Anchors? 

Thanks!

I mention a bit about it in the "Player profiles" section in the first post. In this basic setup, the DM's primary job is to progress the ball to the attackers (by carrying or pinpoint passes) and then sit tight in the rest defense and win the ball back when we lose it.  My gut feeling is that they should be better out of possession than in possession.

Not entirely sure which specific attributes have been key for success. Comparing Cork and Adams in my two attempts, Adams outperformed Cork in every (relative) metric except for pass completion % and possession lost/90. Attribute-wise, the main difference is physical - Adams is a much faster player. While speed is not a key attribute for the DM/DLP/Anchor role, it still likely had an effect here. A faster player would have an advantage in (i) in possession, moving away from markers into open space to receive passes and free up time to turn and pass forward, and (ii) getting into position to make an interception or tackle when the opposition has the ball. That might be what we see with Adams and Cork: by the time Cork receives a pass, he can only pass it backward, leading to a higher pass completion rate and less possession lost.

Adams v Cork (Jan 2024)

image.png.c740981ce9bba8d17d93f76dcebb903e.png

Edited by Aron

first im sorry for my bad english, your topic encouraged me to do a tatic like the image base and this is the result, i test in Benfica in 2027(my first season in the club) , there aren't many players from the original team in the squad, I won't post statistics and related things as I'm still in the middle of the season.

imagem_2024-02-09_210729758.png

Crystal Palace time

I tried some new things to meet the high expectations from the club and supporters ("Top half" expectations with "11-14th" season preview). Here's how it went.

1. Squad analysis

image.png.462dc1386085ff2a043554b71a690f43.png

The squad assessment had to be harsher than before to achieve a top half finish: underlined are players my staff thought were "Good Premier League level" or better, compared to the Bournemouth and Burnley assessments where "Decent" was enough. In addition, players with asterisks* are out with long term injuries at the start.

Defensively, the squad is fine. Andersen and Guehi are great. I ended up retraining Holding so he could play right-sided defender from a RB position. The aging Tomkins and Ward are slow and I avoided playing them. In defensive midfield, Mitchell and Clyne can invert from the LB position.

In the attack, there is a lack of depth made worse by the two long-term injuries. I used Doucoure in attacking midfield to help, but even then there are only 7 players combined for the 4 attacking midfield and wide forward roles, of which 2 are injured. Up front, Edouard and Mateta are both capable.

When looking for players to fill the gaps in the attack, I weighted mental attributes high - with the idea that intelligence is just as important as raw skill or physique if you want to control the games. Let me know your thoughts on this. Specifically, I looked for good levels of Fir, Pas, Tec, Ant, Cmp, Dec, Fla, OtB, Tea, and Vis. The players also had to be relatively flexible due to the injury situation. The additions ended up being Miranchuk (right wide forward and attacking midfield) and Livaja (left wide forward, attacking midfield and striker).

Well into pre-season, bids started coming in for Andersen and eventually I had to accept a £47M offer. To replace him, I similarly looked for an intelligent defender and signed Nehuen Perez who has excellent mentals.

2. Tactics

image.png.83ef094f07200e16ff6b0ca6e0dc07eb.png

Similarly to the other two teams, I did not make any drastic adjustments. Notably, the right wing has switched the Mezzala from Attack to Support, with the Winger switched the other way. The idea is to have the right-sided Mezzala drop just a bit deeper to meet the right-sided defender. I am not sure if that had any impact however. In home games against non-top 6 sides, I switched to a Positive mentality.

3. Results

image.png.b0278aeb28376443c74c3e6c10dd5413.png

Looking at the final table, it becomes clear just how hard it is to achieve a "Top half" finish in this league. After accounting for the big 6 sides, there are only 3 spots left and the competition is hard with sides like Newcastle, Aston Villa and Brentford and Brighton. As a team in that group, you still get streaks of good and bad form, and the bad streaks can get you sacked quickly. We barely get there and the board ends up happy.

Now for the player evaluations.

Defenders (100 players, Tomkins does not make the 450 minute minimum)

image.thumb.png.dfc0619bd8a03e7ed87ae3329f7aaedc.png

New signing Nehuen Perez does not impress. I do see a pattern here: the wide defender stepping in from a RB/LB position tends to perform best (case in point here: Richards and Holding putting up excellent numbers from the RB position), while the player in the central defender role performs worst. At least in terms of the statistics we look at here. We can argue that the central defender has the hardest job both in terms of finding a forward pass as well as winning the ball back as the last man. Ferguson and Ward are not really PL level and that is anyway where I would look to improve.

Defensive midfielders (207 players)

image.png.db6d942879f362476180f7a406d26bfc.png

Mitchell and Clyne do great inverting from LB. This category is dominated by fullbacks overall (as they pick up more defensive actions). Comparing Lerma and Hughes to other pure DMs in the list, the potential for improvement is mainly in terms of passing. The likes of Endo, Casemiro, and Partey all score much higher in progressive passes and open play key passes.

Attacking midfielders (168 players)

image.png.9a1a9de6ba4cedc546765649df149384.png

Note: Miranchuk played as wide forward in 11 out of his 36 appearances. The same could also be said for many others in the sample. With that in mind, 93rd and 100th out of 178 is still barely okay when trying to finish top half. Relative to the sample, these players performed about in line with my Burnley attempt. Doucoure is a better fit for DM and Ahamada is not at the level. Franca never picked up form after returning from injury either. I would look to improve here.

Wide forwards (138 players)

image.thumb.png.6123402da396e943bba78375b203e82e.png

Olise performed great after returning from injury. The others were not as impressive. For new signing Livaja, the approach to prioritize mental attributes did not work out. He could however possibly be moved to striker instead. Schlupp and Ayew both are declining and should be replaced.

Strikers (85 players)

image.png.875933a7cce3f05bfcf1fbb76fda4a7c.png

I might need to revisit the scoring for this group to account for many wingers being included in the sample. Erling Haaland ranks 62nd below both of my strikers as he "only" has his 98th percentile npxG/90 to show off. Meanwhile, creative wingers who contribute more defensively score high. Looking purely at npxG/90, Mateta ranks 21st. Improvement should be possible here.

Conclusion

Some patterns have emerged across these three teams. Let me know how you would better assess the performance of the central defender, especially. And your thoughts on mental attributes for wide forwards. Next, Brighton as requested! (quick edit: Brighton's board expects a mid table finish with a team predicted for 8-10th. That's so much less pressure than the Palace situation)

Edited by Aron

I'm really liking this! I would like to se how you create the box with the Brighton 4231.

Where do you find how your coaches rate the Premier League level of your players?

Edited by bosque