How to Diagnose Defensive Problems

I'm still rocking FM23 currently, just in case that is relevant here.

I'm playing as Newcastle, doing ok, but don't feel like my defence is all it could be - I would say it might be underperforming (fortunately we're pretty decent going forward, which is keeping us in the hunt).

Are there 'rules of thumb' when it comes to diagnosing tactical frailties in FM? e.g. is there something in the datahub that might point to a problem with how my team handles crosses? Or where the line is set to? (e.g. 'because you have a Standard line, you are vulnerable to...)

I'm no tactical wizard - I understand some basic principals (e.g. a WB works better with an IW than a W), so struggling to figure out if there's something wrong here, or if it's just that Jan/Feb dip in form that often experience.

Didn't want to just post my tactic and have someone 'fix it for me', would like to learn how to spot these problems for myself if possible :) (albeit can post tactic if it will help :lol:)

Assessing how goals are conceded vs the average is a good start.

examples:

If you’re conceding more goals from crosses then you might have an issue with CB heading ability (assuming these crosses are in the air).

If it’s through balls then you might have a weakness in defensive midfield.

If it’s balls hoofed over the top then your defenders might be too slow and/or defensive line too high

These are just a couple of simple examples to get you started and of course there may be more drivers than what has been listed above for each type of goal. 

1 hour ago, josh.miller92 said:

Assessing how goals are conceded vs the average is a good start.

examples:

If you’re conceding more goals from crosses then you might have an issue with CB heading ability (assuming these crosses are in the air).

If it’s through balls then you might have a weakness in defensive midfield.

If it’s balls hoofed over the top then your defenders might be too slow and/or defensive line too high

These are just a couple of simple examples to get you started and of course there may be more drivers than what has been listed above for each type of goal. 

Thanks - I'll have a look; although an early look into recent games and the goals we conceded doesn't show an obvious pattern right now. 

I've tweaked a couple of player roles too, to see if this helps.