Choose a captain

I understand that leadership attributes relate to the influence he has on his teammates as captain. My question is, if I have a player with good leadership attributes, but lower determination, bravery, etc., will having him as captain be more negative and make the team worse?

Another question is that if my contract expires and I do not renew it, instead of leaving the club on the expiry date, I will start a rolling monthly contract. Can I announce during the season that I will be leaving the club at the end of the season and allow the club to start negotiations with a potential new manager?

Thanks

1. No, but he/she might not has as positive an influence as an alternative given similar leadership qualities. Personality traits, however, such as a lack of professionalism, I imagine could rub off.

2. If you accept another job beginning at the end of the season, the club will suspend you from transfer dealings etc, but otherwise you can continue managing the team. 

• 3 weeks later...

Adding to du Garbandier, I also consider Personality, teamwork, age and time at the club. Oftentimes a player with slightly lower leadership rating can be a much better captain.

No. As in real life, it’s best not to announce you will be resigning. If employers have no qualms about sacking employees, employees don’t owe anything either. Just plain capitalism…

Edited by phd_angel

Captains can be really important, they seem to help the team performance and galvanise, just like real life to be honest. 

I tend to look for leadership, determination, teamwork as well as age. As well as that I look secondary at the personality I liked driven and determined. I agree with a lot of what has already been said.

I have been known to buy a ready made captain if I do not have anyone to fulfil the role.

I have never ever found there to be any significant adverse effects of having a captain with poor leadership attribute. Determination and work rate are the 2 primary attributes I look for but often I just throw in whichever player has been at the club the longest and I like the best.