Declaring interest to an agent

If you declare your interest to a players’ agent, what impact does that have?

I know you get an idea of their demands, which is great. However, is it likely those demands will change depending on the level of interest you express? 

Is it better to be extremely interested, or just somewhat? Does it depend on the player, the agent, and/or if anyone else is interested too?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn’t find it anywhere.

It does change somewhat. The more keen you are, the more accurate the info you get and the more likely they are to adjust demands. The effect isn’t huge though and things like club/league reputation are much more significant.

I tend to be honest about my level of interest, to avoid damaging relationships with that agent in case I need them to be helpful another time.

Edited by NineCloudNine

It is good to see demands, and I ask for wages to be lowered.

Be wary if you don't end up signing their player as they may be hostile to you with other clients that you may want to sign.

I would only approach an agent if I was to sign the player anyway

I try to avoid contacting agents, but sometimes do. One thing I've noticed is that when I get cold feet -- I don't want a player coming in and telling me how to manage -- will play in preferred position/role, will strengthen this or that, will upgrade coaching team etc. -- I sometimes get the agent coming back to me later, seeking to revive the deal. I don't think I have ever done so, but has anyone noticed this and discovered how the agent's demands might change?

4 hours ago, du Garbandier said:

I try to avoid contacting agents, but sometimes do. One thing I've noticed is that when I get cold feet -- I don't want a player coming in and telling me how to manage -- will play in preferred position/role, will strengthen this or that, will upgrade coaching team etc. -- I sometimes get the agent coming back to me later, seeking to revive the deal. I don't think I have ever done so, but has anyone noticed this and discovered how the agent's demands might change?

I have never once had a player/agent dig their heels in over preferred position or team strengthening demands when it comes to an actual contract negotiation, so I ignore those when making the initial approach. And yes they do sometimes come back to revive the deal, usually with somewhat lowered demands, but never to the point of my signing them having declined to do so before.

You can see if something is going to be a non-negotiable part of a deal when you speak to an agent, and use that opportunity to ask the agent to get rid of it. 

It's great for booting minimum fee release clauses