Thiago Motta | The Value of the Ball

JFurlong2000

My Approach

Initally, I intend to favour the below starting line up to start the season. 'Intend' being a key word, as I will of course adapt to impressive, or, lack of form within the team and change accordingly. I also plan to introduce some of our younger prospects intermittently to the first team throughout the season, both off the bench and in cup finals where we have confidence. This will see the likes of Wisdom Amey, Santiago Castro, Tommasso Ravaglioli and Kazper Karlsson get a chance to show us what the future of Bologna may look like.

BlueFootballStartingXIYourStory_20240221_135912_0000.thumb.png.d67bd9f1a25450ead3be36d1041252fc.png

The style of play will be a very much modern approach to the game. Positive forward progression and high pressing intensity, with emphasis in keeping the ball. There is no intention to be 'gung-ho' at this point, so a patient build-up play from the back and some vertical back and forth passing exchanges will be desired. The heading ability of the team is a stand out in comparison to opposition squads in Serie A. For this reason, we will invite crosses when under pressure due to the higher probability of taking back possession. Passing the ball to the feet of teammates in link-up play will be instructed. Whilst playing the ball forwards for a teammate to run onto, retaining possession is a key aspect of our gameplay, so passing straight to feet and dribbling past 1v1's when nessecary will be preferred. 

Wing play in the final third will also be a key aspect of our attack. I intend to rotate which side of the team to invert inwards on the attach, but two key players in Riccardo Orsolini and Jesper Karlsson look to have the attributes to do whats needed when asked. As this will be the latter stages of full back Lorenzo Di Silvestri's playing career, we won't be putting to much pressure on advancing forward and instead will instruct him to invert into a back three alongside Jhon Lucumí and Riccardo Calafiori whilst left back Victor Kristiansen goes forward. 

The two starting centre halves will have specific roles in build up play. Jhon Lucumí will be deployed as the Italian football's favourite 'Libero', while Calafiori will be involved more in ball playing from the back line. Goalkeeper Lukasz Skorupski will be encouraged to advance to the edge, if not beyond, his goalkeeping area and act as an additional man in build-up play in what may be described as an advanced sweeper keeper

Our midfield duo will act as the 'engine' of the team, focusing on winning the ball back and putting in a shift between the two boxes. I will likely favour promising Italian Giovanni Fabbian, and loanee Remo Freuler in these roles, rotating duties accordingly throughout the 90 mins. 

Lastly is our lone striker, who will be instructed to lead the press in winning the ball back as the most advanced player up the field, and also play a big part in link up play as the wingers join the final third assault. Joshua Kirkzee will be primarily selected to start here, with young Santiago Castro from Argentina as his back-up.

Edited by JFurlong2000