The Power of a 'Grey'

Has anyone had a grey player(s) who has astonished you either on the pitch or statically done better than a professional player.

Of course, there are times when you can't field a lot of players (common in the non leagues) and usually you get a certain feeling, some players of lesser value on paper perform better than intended on the pitch. 

Include players who you signed that were formerly greyed out. 

Not from direct experience as I didn't continue the particular save quite long enough to see the long-term outcome but...

I believe and remember in FM2008 there was an issue with newgen players being unbalanced. Specifically, their technical and mental attributes were higher than average, but they had very low physical stats.

So, when the DB was full of newgen players, the "greys" from what I heard, while not as good, simply over-powered them.

I did see the beginnings of this in my Man Utd save at the time but as aforementioned, didn't play it long enough to witness the endgame, as FM2009 with its snazzy 3D animations came out and I switched to that.

I had a goalkeeper crisis once and had to field a grey player, he was amazing but before i had remembered to sign him up the other players had returned and he had disapeared never to be seen again.  :(

Still remember his 2 clean sheets fondly though.  Here's to you Michael "the cat" Brown, gone but not forgotten  🍺

On 22/02/2024 at 01:03, De Nile said:

Has anyone had a grey player(s) who has astonished you either on the pitch or statically done better than a professional player.

Of course, there are times when you can't field a lot of players (common in the non leagues) and usually you get a certain feeling, some players of lesser value on paper perform better than intended on the pitch. 

Include players who you signed that were formerly greyed out. 

Need to remember this is a video game thou. If I remember correctly all grey players all stats are set at 10.

This make them some what decent level. Heck they can even be better than 'real player' since some of them don't have much weakness beside they are just average in everything. They are basically a fill in nerfed version of James Milner lol

1 hour ago, Hzano123 said:

If I remember correctly all grey players all stats are set at 10

That's not so. I'm a very low league manager and 10s would be way too high for my level. But at such a low level they do tend to be better than my white players so I have to avoid the temptation to sign them. What does tend to be the case is that their PA is close to their CA from what I've seen, so they won't develop. There could be exceptions that I haven't come across.

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

That's not so. I'm a very low league manager and 10s would be way too high for my level. But at such a low level they do tend to be better than my white players so I have to avoid the temptation to sign them. What does tend to be the case is that their PA is close to their CA from what I've seen, so they won't develop. There could be exceptions that I haven't come across.

That's facinating, I was always see their stats as 10 whenever i see one thou.

Maybe cause I play in higher level. But I hope grey players should be way weaker, or at least change them to some academy players who are not yet graduate so they should be vastly weaker to fill them.

Felt like some cheat whenever I see grey players strong.

Micah Phillips - scored an injury time equaliser in a cup game and for that got a contract. He was proper garbage but got a medal and spent 3 and a half years playing in the Donny Rovers reserves making 1 appearance in each competition so he had a decent hoard of medals by time both he and I left the club (me to Real him to footballing oblivion). 

On 26/02/2024 at 05:31, Hzano123 said:

That's facinating, I was always see their stats as 10 whenever i see one thou.

Maybe cause I play in higher level. But I hope grey players should be way weaker, or at least change them to some academy players who are not yet graduate so they should be vastly weaker to fill them.

Felt like some cheat whenever I see grey players strong.

It is very useful in low leagues but are not overpowered. They are usually only strong enough 2 levels down your actual division and have poor consistency if you sign them but they do tend to have qualities which make them look good on the pitch but not attributes wise. They perform well on the pitch and do enough to bench whoever is not performing. You can sell them and see how far they go in the lower leagues. 

They are kind of a last resort player which I use only to fill gaps and terrible real players/newgens.

Greys should be weak but a lot of international teams use them too.