What causes this disparity between estimated wages and actual wage demands?

For me, it is sometimes that the scouting report is old, and things have changed. For example, I have had some  unpleasant surprises looking at estimated wages before we were promoted when trying to make the signing after promotion with a much larger wage budget.

8 hours ago, AntSou said:

I rarely see this occur. Usually my scouts are fairly close in their estimates, so what's the issue here?

playerwages.thumb.png.6b4aa01c8e67ec1d847ed4ac5e1e0c52.png

This is dictated in part by how much he wants to join you and the "promises" screen.

If you've told him he's going to be a "squad player" in promises, you'll have to pay him a higher wage than if he's to be a "star player." The trade off here is it makes squad rotation more difficult and the player is less likely to benefit from mentor groups. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

This is dictated in part by how much he wants to join you and the "promises" screen.

If you've told him he's going to be a "squad player" in promises, you'll have to pay him a higher wage than if he's to be a "star player." The trade off here is it makes squad rotation more difficult and the player is less likely to benefit from mentor groups. 

I don't think that's the issue in this case, at least it wasn't explicit in the previous screen.

However, his contract was terminating in 6 months, and immediately after negotiations broke down his current club extended it by one year. There was a clause, which I didn't notice:

image.png.ccfef494fb2240f27379d43c803d54cb.png

There's also another club interested from Belgium's first division. It wasn't there at the time I started negotiations, but maybe it already had some effect in the background, despite not appearing in the "Wanted" list?

image.png.9c3eeb2553dac3f7bfbdca678a5ce4d4.png

Edited by AntSou

My bigger gripe in the game is young players, who've never been anywhere near the first team, asking for tens of thousands of pounds per week. When I play as Athletic Club, I don't have much choice as I need to retain these players, but this is completely unrealistic that a player would ask for that kind of salary.

On 08/03/2024 at 15:42, dothestrand said:

My bigger gripe in the game is young players, who've never been anywhere near the first team, asking for tens of thousands of pounds per week. When I play as Athletic Club, I don't have much choice as I need to retain these players, but this is completely unrealistic that a player would ask for that kind of salary.

And with big clubs paying it!  Real Madrid and Barcelona B teamers, or sometimes guys who haven't even played for the B team yet, will be paid literally 1-2 million euros a year.   Not only is that unrealistic, but it then makes it impossible for those to be signed by any other club, since they can't afford to match the wage... so these guys stay on the B team roster until they're 24 or so and then leave for free.  Would love to see a more realistic development path for guys like this from the major academies who aren't going to make it for the main club... B team for a year or 2, then a loan, then a sale with large % of future sale clause to a smaller spanish team