Board Rejected when the Transfer would have taken me out of the red

I just started playing FM 2 months ago, but I'm a lifelong footballer in both playing and coaching. I've made some very rookie mistakes in FM24 including caving to this guy to keep him at the club. I knew we were heading out of Sky Bet One after my first year at Blackpool. We eventually won the league. But I ended up giving him a ridiculous contract of $1.1M p/a with loyalty $ too. ugh. I've learned better now. But, my god with 5 hours left in the transfer window I finally got the bastard a deal that would have put the club $500k in the black (on a $10.5M p/a budget) which would help me in negotiations with some key players contracts before they run out this summer. The Board, with whom I have an A+ rating, blocked it. They wanted a bigger fee. Grimshaw was injured for 5 months and I got someone else on an ECL for 25% of the salary who is just as good, and I want Grimshaw gone, Don't let the door hit ya on the way out type of gone. I told the board, Grimshaw wouldn't play for me. They said they weren't in a financially suitable place so they needed a larger fee.  All in good time I'm thinking.. let's stop the bleeding get to summer and get business done. Meanwhile, with the smallest payroll by far, I'm sitting in 7th in Championship

image.thumb.png.57fc87a70939485e0f2e2f91b2c67557.png

Is there nothing I can do with the transfer window running out. I've made some other deals, maybe one more to go but good god, is there no logic to the business end of this game? 

I guess I shouldn't have turned a job offer after they approached me. Maybe it's just time to go looking elsewhere? Maybe the club is too small and not appreciative.

I think some of you will say don't go into the red. It is my mess but I have a way out if the damn Board would get out of the way.

Any suggestions?