Promotion using combined league table

How do I go about promoting a team using the "winner" of a combined league table? 

For example, I have a similar setup to the MLS (2 groups and a combined table). I need the overall #1 team to get promoted. 

Do I just set the qualification rules as normal? 

I think you need to create an aggregated table stage, and then use the qualification rules to promote the top team. You can do that all in advanced rules - take a look at Peru's rules if you want to see how to create an aggregated table. 

Set up the qualification rules normally on the aggregated table. Also add a league fate action for promoted teams that assigns the promoted fate (or champion) to their other league stage.

On the group stages add promotion rules as well, except set it to 0 promotion places, with a min/max of 1. It still needs to know there is promotion, just that it isn't assigned from that group.

56 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

Set up the qualification rules normally on the aggregated table. Also add a league fate action for promoted teams that assigns the promoted fate (or champion) to their other league stage.

On the group stages add promotion rules as well, except set it to 0 promotion places, with a min/max of 1. It still needs to know there is promotion, just that it isn't assigned from that group.

So I set promotion place as 0 for both groups? This is my first time working with promotion/relegation and I have a LOT of leagues to set it up for (currently 59 leagues).

8 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

So I set promotion place as 0 for both groups? This is my first time working with promotion/relegation and I have a LOT of leagues to set it up for (currently 59 leagues).

Yep. 0 promotion places, but a min/max of 1 (or whatever it should be). Needs to be set to 0 so the groups don't assign relegation to anybody, but also needs to know that there are relegation places somewhere.

9 hours ago, rusty217 said:

Yep. 0 promotion places, but a min/max of 1 (or whatever it should be). Needs to be set to 0 so the groups don't assign relegation to anybody, but also needs to know that there are relegation places somewhere.

So set up like that in the groups stage and then set up for 1 promotion place in the stage with the combined table. 

@rusty217these are the settings that I currently have. It is kicking up an error saying that no teams are getting relegated from Vancouver Metro Soccer League Division 3 and I am unsure why.

image.png.029c33d4c33f23d213c0bcec60d479e5.png

Group rules ^

image.png.460928fb7fe4c9233d7c3a51d7dab8f8.png

Combined league table rules ^

image.png.5ba6dda3a487fc301625cd0f52a67a3b.png

League fate ^

9 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

@rusty217these are the settings that I currently have. It is kicking up an error saying that no teams are getting relegated from Vancouver Metro Soccer League Division 3 and I am unsure why.

image.png.029c33d4c33f23d213c0bcec60d479e5.png

Group rules ^

image.png.460928fb7fe4c9233d7c3a51d7dab8f8.png

Combined league table rules ^

image.png.5ba6dda3a487fc301625cd0f52a67a3b.png

League fate ^

The League Fate should be set in the Stage itself, not Other Stage Rules. Like this:

20240323011603_1.thumb.jpg.3ed918e4046f5a94aacc8a92bc1b2d35.jpg

If it still doesn't work like that, try testing in-editor to make sure the overall league table runs properly.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rusty217 said:

The League Fate should be set in the Stage itself, not Other Stage Rules. Like this:

20240323011603_1.thumb.jpg.3ed918e4046f5a94aacc8a92bc1b2d35.jpg

If it still doesn't work like that, try testing in-editor to make sure the overall league table runs properly.

I have done promotion and relegation settings for all the leagues that require them. However, it has now started throwing up a rule about "can't find rules for division with 'X' teams" despite me not having touched the number of teams. I know for a fact that every league in my database verified before I added promotion/relegation. What would cause this issue?

Also, do I need to add the league fate for competitions without combined tables?

Edited by EnigMattic1

Is there anything here that would prevent a league from finishing in time?

image.png.415e2a5c367f15b37b905641ad5b8296.png

Since I've added promotion and relegation to this league, it doesn't finish in time for the season update day. However, in testing, the league plays out fine with teams getting marked as promoted and relegated.

image.png.b0eb8c3fd5a8fc86485b20cb675802cc.png

image.png.a55c04147f03376ad53f6334c6d2a0a7.png

But 2024 does not start.

image.png.6b32bdd12119c7908719c9923dedd6ae.png

18 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I have done promotion and relegation settings for all the leagues that require them. However, it has now started throwing up a rule about "can't find rules for division with 'X' teams" despite me not having touched the number of teams. I know for a fact that every league in my database verified before I added promotion/relegation. What would cause this issue?

Also, do I need to add the league fate for competitions without combined tables?

Sounds like an issue with the wrong number of teams being promoted/relegated. An annoyingly common issue that's usually a pain in the butt to figure out what's going wrong where.

No, I don't think you even necessarily need the league fate. It's just to show the P/R on the other stages rather than just on the combined table. They should still relegate even if it's only shown on the combined table.

As for what's causing it not to finish in time, there's nothing obvious there. It could be anything though. Sometimes it's setup/update dates, incorrect competition start/end months etc. Look at the event log in the test, and simulate ahead further. That might help you figure it out. eg. if you simulate until 2025 and it finally ticks over to the new year then it probably was a wrong date somewhere.

2 hours ago, rusty217 said:

Sounds like an issue with the wrong number of teams being promoted/relegated. An annoyingly common issue that's usually a pain in the butt to figure out what's going wrong where.

No, I don't think you even necessarily need the league fate. It's just to show the P/R on the other stages rather than just on the combined table. They should still relegate even if it's only shown on the combined table.

As for what's causing it not to finish in time, there's nothing obvious there. It could be anything though. Sometimes it's setup/update dates, incorrect competition start/end months etc. Look at the event log in the test, and simulate ahead further. That might help you figure it out. eg. if you simulate until 2025 and it finally ticks over to the new year then it probably was a wrong date somewhere.

Ok, I have the same rules for promotion/relegation in all the divisions with combined tables. The error is usually a different league each time. All levels and divisions have flexible rules and, where there is a combined table, the rules are as you have shown above. If it is a straight league, the rules are as you have shown for the groups, but with 1 team instead of 0:

image.png.eb4b157fb54526d1f1e79d417bcdda47.png

I will attach the file if anyone wants to take a look.

Canadian Full Provincial Expansion - FM24 - v1.1.fmf

I've been through every league that kicks up an error and I can't find out what I'm doing wrong. 

The only dates I enter are the league schedule and the "window" in which the league operates (general tab). 

The only leagues that I haven't seen an error pop up with yet are at the lowest 5(?) levels (SSA Rec leagues). 

I want to try and get these leagues sorted before I add the High School leagues as there is promotion and relegation for them too, but they should be straightforward as they have the same setup as the SSA Rec leagues. 

Sorry, can't really help there. Way too much going on in the file and I have no idea what's supposed to connect to what. Even trying to keep things simple by only running the top 2 divisions it's throwing up errors for lower divisions that shouldn't be running.

The only thing I can easily see that could be fixed is adding min/max overall pro/rel places for parent comp. If it's a child competition you generally need that set on each child comp for the total promoted/relegated teams overall.

32 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

Sorry, can't really help there. Way too much going on in the file and I have no idea what's supposed to connect to what. Even trying to keep things simple by only running the top 2 divisions it's throwing up errors for lower divisions that shouldn't be running.

The only thing I can easily see that could be fixed is adding min/max overall pro/rel places for parent comp. If it's a child competition you generally need that set on each child comp for the total promoted/relegated teams overall.

See, the parent comp (Canada Level 'X') is only there so I can have leagues at the same level. There is no other purpose. The leagues feed leagues with the same name from level 6 down. So, MMSL Premier is fed by MMSL D1 etc. 

It is annoying because it worked with pro/rel only in the SSA leagues perfectly fine. It wasn't until I moved higher up that I started having problems. 

@rusty217 this may be a stupid question, but would the fact that the leagues I'm having most problems with are Spring leagues have anything to do with it? Every time I run a test, the league mentioned in the error is usually always Fraser Valley Soccer League 'X' - Spring.

3 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

@rusty217 this may be a stupid question, but would the fact that the leagues I'm having most problems with are Spring leagues have anything to do with it? Every time I run a test, the league mentioned in the error is usually always Fraser Valley Soccer League 'X' - Spring.

Possibly. It depends how they're set up. I'm not sure how the lower Canadian leagues work, but if it's just a shorter season during the Spring there's nothing there that should really cause issues. If they overlap though, eg. the Spring league is Aug-Jun (like Europe) while the non-Spring leagues are Mar-Nov (like America) then it could be an issue, yeah.

It could also just be that the finish sooner in the season so errors with them pop-up sooner than errors with any other league.

39 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

Possibly. It depends how they're set up. I'm not sure how the lower Canadian leagues work, but if it's just a shorter season during the Spring there's nothing there that should really cause issues. If they overlap though, eg. the Spring league is Aug-Jun (like Europe) while the non-Spring leagues are Mar-Nov (like America) then it could be an issue, yeah.

It could also just be that the finish sooner in the season so errors with them pop-up sooner than errors with any other league.

I will try removing promotion and relegation from those spring leagues and see what happens. It isn't a game breaker if they don't have them