How to counter the 4-2-2-2 narrow

I'm on a multiplayer save with some friends, and I really struggle playing against the 4222 narrows, so I wanted to see how you guys dealed with them and see if I could get some tips.
This is my tactic and my team if anyone is wondering. :)spacer.png

Have players and roles that can take advantage of the wide spaces. Think your frontline lacks synergy as well, all attack roles and lots of turnovers with your TIs.

Edited by Cloud9

Having a 3421 on hand can be a help. It lets you match a 4222 in midfield while giving you a spare defender to deal with the strike partnership.

But if you are intent on keeping closer to your base tactic, I think your rest defence is missing a player. A 4222 naturally has 4 players left high up the pitch. You've got a 3-1 rest defence, so I wouldn't be too surprised if every turnover is leaving you facing a 4v4. 

As for the attacking side, what @Cloud9 said.

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, vrig said:

Having a 3421 on hand can be a help. It lets you match a 4222 in midfield while giving you a spare defender to deal with the strike partnership.

But if you are intent on keeping closer to your base tactic, I think your rest defence is missing a player. A 4222 naturally has 4 players left high up the pitch. You've got a 3-1 rest defence, so I wouldn't be too surprised if every turnover is leaving you facing a 4v4. 

As for the attacking side, what @Cloud9 said.

Don't forget that's a IWB-D which will rotate into midfield so his rest defence would be a 2-2 or 3-2 depending on where the WB-S is and if they've advanced or not. (Might even look more like a 2-3 in some moments)

In answer to your question OP, I would approach it how you might solve this tactical problem if you encountered it or something similar in real life. Having something with 2 holding midfielders (That don't rotate forwards in the positional play rotations feature) to prevent quick attacks then looking to attack the opponent with attacking wing-backs that hold the width to create 2v1's on their full-back's might be worth a try. 

It might be worth going into more detail about what you're struggling with against this formation. Is it creating chances & scoring or defending against this system? Because depending on that information it might be worth using a IFB-D role along with an attacking wing-back the other side to create 2v1's on one side, then using the other to have 3 central defenders while your team is attacking to create a 3v2 in your favour if your team turns over the ball and they play direct into their forward line.

This is the fun of football tactics there's so many different ways you can attack the same problem!

3 hours ago, Jack Sarahs said:

Don't forget that's a IWB-D which will rotate into midfield so his rest defence would be a 2-2 or 3-2 depending on where the WB-S is and if they've advanced or not. (Might even look more like a 2-3 in some moments)

In answer to your question OP, I would approach it how you might solve this tactical problem if you encountered it or something similar in real life. Having something with 2 holding midfielders (That don't rotate forwards in the positional play rotations feature) to prevent quick attacks then looking to attack the opponent with attacking wing-backs that hold the width to create 2v1's on their full-back's might be worth a try. 

It might be worth going into more detail about what you're struggling with against this formation. Is it creating chances & scoring or defending against this system? Because depending on that information it might be worth using a IFB-D role along with an attacking wing-back the other side to create 2v1's on one side, then using the other to have 3 central defenders while your team is attacking to create a 3v2 in your favour if your team turns over the ball and they play direct into their forward line.

This is the fun of football tactics there's so many different ways you can attack the same problem!

I was sure that was an IFB this morning!