Creating an All-star tournament with 16 new teams

Hi All!

I'm new to editing on Football Manager. It seems like this is a fairly common topic that people get stuck on, but I haven't been able to work it out from the tutorials I have watched so far. I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some tips or point me in the right direction of a relevant tutorial.

Basically, I am looking to create a tournament that I would simulate as a one off. My friend and I like coming up with all-star teams based on certain criteria eg. a team of players that tuck their shirts in (Rodri, Azpilicueta, Adama Traore...), a team of players with names that are foods (Rice, Nacho, Lasagna) etc. All very silly, but we wanted to see what would happen if they played each other in a world cup style competition, and who would win. 

So essentially, I'm looking for the best way to simulate a tournament (group stage then knockout) with 16 new teams that have players taken from existing clubs. I would just like to run the tournament once as a simulation with all the clubs automanaged by the computer. This would obviously have a big impact on all the existing real leagues with lots of top players being stolen from the clubs and a few managers too, but I will not be looking at any of these league and don't mind about them being messed up as long as the simulation still runs. I also am not looking to run the tournament as part of a proper career mode where it will seamlessly play alongside the other leagues and be a good playable experience. I simply want to simulate an isolated month long world cup style tournament then be finished with the save.

I'm realising this is not as simple as I thought! Does anyone have any advice on where to start? Perhaps duplicate a preseason tournament, club world cup or European cup as a starting point? Or maybe just add it as a separate division/competition in the English league structure. 

Thanks!

That can actually be done pretty simply. Just set it up as a regular league (use something like Cayman Islands as the country so there's no continental competitions or anything). Create the league/teams, move the players you want across, then add nation rules for the nation to add the league the way you want it. Might be worth starting the season in Jan/Feb or something so there's no clash with internationals. When starting the save make sure to tick the disable first transfer window option so no clubs will be able to buy players from your new league. Then if it's only going to be a month or so it should be over before the Mar internationals so no issue with players missing for internationals or anything either.