Minnow club to premier league

Hello, i have played fm for 27 years and always start with lowest club possible in the uk (smallest rep) and finish the game once i have won champions league with them.

However, having had a strong start with Aveley and got then very quickly up to The Championship it is now becoming very hard to progress with £12k a year of sponsorship and only a 5k seater stadium. I have the smallest wages in the league by far on £110k while 2nd lowest is £275k and top teams are on £1.8mil.

I am negative about £400k a month which swallows up the tv and prize money and more (need cup runs and player sales to keep me afloat).

firstly is there a way to reduce spending? 

and has anyone else managed this style of play on fm touch/console bringing up a tiny rep team through the leagues?

obviously £12k sponsorship for a championship team is bad design but can I still do this and how?!

i also do a lot of friendlies to raise funds.

Sadly i do comprehensive highlights to enable the achievements and multiple seasons of championship mediocrity with no increase in revenue means the game is now not enjoyable.

thanks in advance for any help

The aim in these types of sales is Buy Cheap and sell big, after a season in say champ you’ll probably find yearly your sponsorship rises. 

You need to hammer the board with requests. Get them to expand the stadium. Make it a high priority. Understand however that finances you mention may make them block that request, 'not enough funds available'.

Key one is % of transfer revenue made available. Get that to 100% if not already. Will make more sense later in this post.

Have you had any takeover rumours? Always best to save a game as soon as you see that because the % chance of the takeover happening is low. Saving and reloading may be the only way to force that through.

Try and hire a chief scout that can get access to overseas regens. If you find any with high potential, they're usually a fraction of what you'd pay domestically. Just the work permit issue. EDIT: they usually have very low minimum release clauses, so you can sign a few on the cheap, then sell them for millions in a season or so.

And yes as mentioned, you have to sell to raise funds. Sell these regen players and existing squad if required or not good enough, unless you need them to get into top flight. Usually regens will want a contract clause for minimum release, so try and get that as high as possible (not got much room for negotiation from whatever they request by default, but still try and increase it). Offer on transfer room around transfer windows and in between if you want to see if any takers (save before transfer listing).

Always offer your existing players worse contract wages and appearance benefits than what they currently earn. Never give out yearly % rises. You should do this and not the coaching team. Boring, yes, but you need to manage everything closely because it sounds like you have no flexibility with minimal sponsorship deal income. As the team rep increases, you will get better and better income from this.

Also send unwanted players out to affiliates and hopefully some of their wages will be paid, will clear the weekly wage bill. And loan out the reserves to keep cutting it down.

Edited by The phoenix from the flames
typos

On 29/04/2024 at 15:02, The phoenix from the flames said:

Some good tips here. I am loathed to save and reboot when things don’t work out but maybe at this point i need that boost of luck to bring the game back to a more realistic experience.

I have hammered the board but there’s not enough money and a stadium increase of 500 seats took 6 months and several hundred thousand £!

I haven’t bought any players yet. Everyone has been free transfers. But i could venture into the market and start hoovering some young foreigners. You get three work licence exemptions anyway which I can use. 

i hadn’t realised that the player search function was limited. Not all the players within the parameters show up. So i am now combing through south american clubs looking for youngsters. Sadly none if them want to join my club as of yet!!

Thanks for all the tips though. Really helpful!