Why most AI teams play 4-2-3-1 DM wide???

Posted (edited)

I have noticed that a large percentage of AI managers have as their first option this tactic.  And the opposition tactics are bt nearly 60% THIS TACTIC.

Now, can anyone explain me why is that? I mean is it like this in real life???? 

Edited by asapas

• asapas changed the title to Why most AI teams play 4-2-3-1 DM wide???

even this is the case, they are playing a specific variant of this, with 2 DMs, and one AM. No one is on the midfield. I think it just depends on the player's roles... 

Posted (edited)
On 08/05/2024 at 15:02, asapas said:

even this is the case, they are playing a specific variant of this, with 2 DMs, and one AM. No one is on the midfield. I think it just depends on the player's roles... 

DM's and AM's are midfielders. It's certainly in vogue along with the 4-3-3 in modern football. 

Most of the up and coming managers, and teams looking to build a tactical identity, are trying to play progressive football and that's reflected in the formations. 

It's also a formation with a lot of tactical flexibility (see David Moyes getting the axe for his conservative 4-2-3-1 compared to a ball playing Tottenham, Brighton or Bournemouth variation). Advantages to running the double pivot include :

• Cover for positive wingbacks.
  • Increased ability to play out from the back via the double pivot. 
  • Splitting the burden of a capable holding 6 onto two players instead (see Chelsea).

You see many of the top teams playing with a 4-3-3 these days, but again the weight for the solo 6 is really demanding. Most of those teams feature their 6 as the squads star player (Bruno Guimaraes at Newcastle, Rodri at Man City, Declan Rice at Arsenal). A 4-2-3-1 is a great way to look to play progressively without this all powerful 6 at your disposal. 

Edited by Cloud9

Leverkusen and Madrid often doesn't play 4-2-3-1, the thing is wingers are abundant in supply in the game and in reality meanwhile you have a shortage in strikers and a quality no 10 or should i say number 9 as well. 

When does are available, Madrid plays with a narrow 2 striker 1 AMC system and Leverkusen plays with WM on each side (no fullbacks and winger). I've seen Man City AI uses this tactic as well when they play Haaland and Alvarez together.

I think most teams aren't as gifted as City, Madrid and Leverkusen but again it's down to players availability, if all your wingers are injured might as well play a non-4231 base. 

Daily reminder that the starting formation you see in FM is the defensive tactical shape so they might look very different among each other in game in the attacking phase of play. 4231 is a solid and flexible defensive shape which you can press with an extra man upfront (the CAM) more aggressively or just retreat to a 451 block to cover the central areas