tons of first touch shots, no patience

im seeing a lot of first touch shots that dont make sense. most of my shots every game is first touch. players through on goal taking first touch shot from far out or bad angles, first touch shot instead of passing/crossing for someone in a better position.

it just feels like my players have no patience or foresight that if they just bring the ball down and take an extra second there'll be better options. 

image.png.f1bcd2a83396cffae4b14c25cb6fed65.png

good teamwork on players and ive tried lowering tempo on different mentalities, and initially i didnt even have work the ball into box. absolutely no difference. whats the point of TIs if theres no noticeable difference???

my striker when hes through on goal, doesnt bother bringing the ball down and continue through on goal when he receives a through ball but instead just takes first touch shot. same issue with all my other players, insta shot ALL the time instead of passing or making a better shooting opportunity for themselves.  

image.png.be5fbd2b5712cef3593e57921d27f41c.png

Posted (edited)

One thing I have found out from watching the experts YouTube videos is that you should only use team instructions where you cannot get that instruction across using Player Instructions. For example there is not really a team instruction to tell your team to shot less - Work the ball in to the box will help but will still not prevent it.

In the Player Instructions you have the instruction Shoot Less Often which I believe asks them to refrain from shooting from distance or bad situations. I also wonder how Take Fewer Risks would cut down on the first time shooting - I have never tried it.

I also tend to keep mentality at Balanced now and do not change it . Raising it to more attacking mentalities will probably increase the likelihood of them shooting first time. I wonder if anyone else can explain the mentalities better than me. 

Edited by jcafcwbb
Meaning

13 minutes ago, jcafcwbb said:

One thing I have found out from watching the experts YouTube videos is that you should only use team instructions where you cannot get that instruction across using Player Instructions. For example there is not really a team instruction to tell your team to shot less - Work the ball in to the box will help but will still not prevent it.

In the Player Instructions you have the instruction Shoot Less Often which I believe asks them to refrain from shooting from distance or bad situations. I also wonder how Take Fewer Risks would cut down on the first time shooting - I have never tried it.

I also tend to keep mentality at Balanced now and do not change it . Raising it to more attacking mentalities will probably increase the likelihood of them shooting first time. I wonder if anyone else knows this. 

yes i forgot to mention PIs, i have shoot less on my front 3 and midfield 3. i have DLP sub who i like to put on for the DM in hope that when he gets squared the ball or cut back outside the pen area he'll dink a ball over or play a through ball for others but hes the same as my DM, first touch shot under no pressure. 

i just got out of a game where the two times we were more patient in the final third, we ended up with two really good and REALISTIC looking passing play goals. the other 15 shots were all as soon as we got in to the final third we shot.