Settings to Transfer Players out of a country

I have created my own Australian DB for years, and until about 3 years ago players were being transferred out regularly. This was good for my immersion as even if I didn't want a player to leave I would accept and it would force me to promote the next player I  was developing or dip into the market.

I haven't done much differently each year to my edited DB so I assume something gamewise has changed. 

Now I can have a player of Championship quality or even lower EPL quality and there is a small interest from Middle Eastern clubs only but they rarely bid. In the FM24 db I only have one sale to the MLS. 

What are the settings which dictate transfer out of a country? 

Is it the Transfer Preferences for Australia, or in the nations/continents/regions I want to sell to? 

Does country reputation affect it? I upped Australia a little bit as I moved some of the overseas players back to Australia for my league.

Or could it simply be I do not have other countries active, only Australia so it stops purchasing from overseas? 

I have barely edited any settings about transfers or transfer values. It is all club into leagues, reputations of clubs and their finances to up it a bit to make things sustainable but not like top European or anything. 

Reputation is probably the reason.

Unless transfer preferences from other nations have been changed extensively, there is no reason for the lack of transfers