Individual training - playing position or role

Could someone explain to me the difference between having someone on, for eg: CD - playing position (under the position/role/duty tab) or having them on a specific role, like ball playing defender? Cos when you select a specific role, it highlights the attributes that are being targeted but on playing position it doesn't. So what's being targeted in this case? Really struggling to get my head around it!

I always assumed that playing position was the the role you have in your current tactic. So if your tactic has ball playing defender then that's playing position, or you can select a different role if you want them to train a different role to the one being used in your tactic. 

Posted (edited)

Training players in their roles according to the tactic roles, for example I have SK De in my tactic and my GK is training SK De, will help to gain faster tactical familiarity, plus focusing in the attributes for the role. What attributes should train, it depends of my training schedules. Plus maintain tactical familiarity all the time (since I am not changing tactic).

From FM for Dummies

Screenshot_5.png.ab2cea8bce0f1c51c5ed428b1006cc34.png

Edited by fc.cadoni

15 hours ago, fc.cadoni said:

Training players in their roles according to the tactic roles, for example I have SK De in my tactic and my GK is training SK De, will help to gain faster tactical familiarity, plus focusing in the attributes for the role. What attributes should train, it depends of my training schedules. Plus maintain tactical familiarity all the time (since I am not changing tactic).

From FM for Dummies

Really good. Thanks for this man.

Have been playing other games for the past few weeks and when I come back to FM, I had the same question.

Thank you for this post.

And thank you for your answer.

On 08/05/2024 at 06:30, fc.cadoni said:

From FM for Dummies

Playing position is mostly just going to train them on their familiarity to play a specific position. Role is going to provide additional training for the attributes needed to a role. It is important to note that there is no role familiarity in this game, so when training a role, pick something that is going to train their weaknesses, not necessarily the actual role they are going to play. For striker it can often be beneficial to train them as a Complete forward, even if they cant play as it.

31 minutes ago, phantombandit said:

Playing position is mostly just going to train them on their familiarity to play a specific position. Role is going to provide additional training for the attributes needed to a role. It is important to note that there is no role familiarity in this game, so when training a role, pick something that is going to train their weaknesses, not necessarily the actual role they are going to play. For striker it can often be beneficial to train them as a Complete forward, even if they cant play as it.

Yes but also playing position I'm pretty sure, targets all their attributes, just to a lesser extent. Where as specific role will target the highlighted attributes but a bit more and the ones that aren't highlighted a bit less than playing position. That's how I understand it anyway.

8 hours ago, jamesgrhm0 said:

Yes but also playing position I'm pretty sure, targets all their attributes, just to a lesser extent. Where as specific role will target the highlighted attributes but a bit more and the ones that aren't highlighted a bit less than playing position. That's how I understand it anyway.

So exactly how the 'playing position' works I am not sure. It targets attributes still, however, zealand did a comprehensive development investigation and found that setting a role and extra focus will increase a players development, not just specialize it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/05/2024 at 17:59, phantombandit said:

So exactly how the 'playing position' works I am not sure. It targets attributes still, however, zealand did a comprehensive development investigation and found that setting a role and extra focus will increase a players development, not just specialize it.

Yes I saw that but I also saw RDF do a video on development and he was training players up to the age of 23/24 only using playing position, not a specific role and they developed really well. I think it's fluid and nothing is exactly the right way probably just works differently in different situations and depends on many factors.