Euro 2024 Squad Announcements

Rob1981

4 minutos atrás, Rob1981 disse:

Seriously? :D

image.png.cb9b96b93d6a6cbeb0884264c26e9392.png

I mean I knew he was really old, but I guess I thought he was still only 38-39 or something.  He's older than two of the managers ffs.

He's still good enough to make the squad, problem is he misses half of the games because of little injuries.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be interesting to see what Spalletti opts for, he was trying out 352 in March, which makes sense because most players are better in it and Inter's defense would function perfectly.

Obviously Donnarumma in goal.
Darmian-Acerbi-Bastoni or Mancini-Bastoni should be CBs.
Di Lorenzo and Dimarco certain to start regardless of formation.
Jorginho or Cristante as the holding midfielder.
Barella is guaranteed starter.
One of Pellegrini or Frattesi, completely different players, depends on the game's needs.
Wings are uninspriational. If it's 352 then just Chiesa behind the striker. If it's 433 then Orsolini and Chiesa or Zaccagni.
Scamacca found his form and is surely the starting striker.

2 hours ago, Baptista_8 said:

Just seen Italy's all time top scorer only got 35 goals for them. That seems mad to me.

Vieri should have had over 50 if he had 90+ caps but he got injured during the Euro 2000 and the 2002 qualifiers when he was in his absolute prime.

And they had too many forwards to pick from after European NT football got diluted (late 90s) and then had a striker drought for like 15 years since that generation retired.

Most records got broken in the last 15 years across Europe so it's normal that Italy doesn't have a 50+ all time scorer. They can hardly field a striker and had to hand out passports to Osvaldo, Retegui and Eder to field a forward...

7 minutes ago, Yuko said:

Vieri should have had over 50 if he had 90+ caps but he got injured during the Euro 2000 and the 2002 qualifiers when he was in his absolute prime.

And they had too many forwards to pick from after European NT football got diluted (late 90s) and then had a striker drought for like 15 years since that generation retired.

Most records got broken in the last 15 years across Europe so it's normal that Italy doesn't have a 50+ all time scorer. They can hardly field a striker and had to hand out passports to Osvaldo, Retegui and Eder to field a forward...

The amount they had to pick from in the 90s was insane, especially compared to now!

Yeah, they still have a very good team and a few top tier players, but also so many squad fillers nowadays. Maybe 2-3 of these kids become huge, but even most of them won't probably.

They don't have any top tier players imo. As in, guys on the level of Mbappé, Kane, Bernardo Silva etc. Rodri is but he's not a difference maker and ideally you need someone of that level at the top.

But they've got a style of play that's so nailed down and embedded that they can call up players several tiers below and still do well. Greater than the sum of the parts.

Posted (edited)

Rodri is a definite top tier DM for me, but as a DM he won't win them the title that's true. Still a top tier. No one else is at his level, but someone like Dani Olmo could also be in basically any team in the world. They have maybe 2-3 of these but indeed only Rodri is a definite world class in his position if that's what the top tier is.

Edited by kpain16

Williams is potentially world class if he can add a bit more composure. He's way better than his brother was at the same age although Inaki himself never became a consistent finisher with experience either.

Funny that those two teams were posted one after another, since I was about to ask what happened with Svilar?

Weren't there reports that he chose Belgium? Why isn't he on the list? Right now he's certainly the best goalkeeper on both those teams considering Courtois is refusing to play under current manager.

56 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Funny that those two teams were posted one after another, since I was about to ask what happened with Svilar?

Weren't there reports that he chose Belgium? Why isn't he on the list? Right now he's certainly the best goalkeeper on both those teams considering Courtois is refusing to play under current manager.

apparently they checked it out and he cannot play for Belgium anymore

argument is he prefers polyvalent players Nathan Aké, Daley Blind en Micky van de Ven

saw Micky was born in Wormer, maybe Marcel van Roosmalen has something to do with his final selection 

4 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

Not sure why he takes Bergwijn as well. Or it must have been the one hattrick against Heracles.

It gets even better, Bergwijn is the extra attacker Koeman was able to select as the polyvalent players he has mean that he could leave Maatsen at home because other people can play left back. Just ignore the fact none of them actually are left backs. :D

Looks like Czech Republic dropped both Vaclik and Pavlenka. I assume Jaros only the third choice keeper seeing as he hasn't played a senior game but nevertheless, it's nice to see him make the squad.

21 hours ago, Freakiie said:

It gets even better, Bergwijn is the extra attacker Koeman was able to select as the polyvalent players he has mean that he could leave Maatsen at home because other people can play left back. Just ignore the fact none of them actually are left backs. :D

Facepalm :lol:

9 minutes ago, Russell10 said:

Thinking about TGS, do France play Mbappe through the middle or he on left and still playing Giroud!

Mbappe is always on the left.

Giroud or Thuram will play up front. Griezmann behind the striker and Dembele or Kolo Muani on the right.
Tcouhameni and Rabiot/Camavinga in midfield.
Theo on the left, Saliba will be one CB, other one Konate/Upamecano and Pavard/Kounde on the right.
Maingan in goal.

Going over my fantasy team, are Dimarco and Grimaldo likely starters for their respective nations? I'm just assuming here without looking that both have been or will be getting a call up. :D

19 minutes ago, TheWednesday said:

Going over my fantasy team, are Dimarco and Grimaldo likely starters for their respective nations? I'm just assuming here without looking that both have been or will be getting a call up. :D

Got no clue about Spain since Grimaldo has just 2 NT caps and is questionable if he can play in a back four on a serious level, but Dimarco is a guaranteed starter for Italy.

5 minutes ago, bestbrother said:

This cant be true, Croatia dont use Attackers :D

Kramarić is sort of a deep-lying forward, Petković and Budimir are target men.
Marco Pašalić, Perišić and Pjaca are wings. But since we also lack those, they all get lumped into the same category. :lol:

Midfield is never lacking, though.

The only proper striker in that team is Budimir. Even Petković is an attacking midfielder trapped in a target man's body that doesn't like shooting. So our "4-6-0 we'll wear you out" is still easily doable :D

16 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Mbappe is always on the left.

Giroud or Thuram will play up front. Griezmann behind the striker and Dembele or Kolo Muani on the right.
Tcouhameni and Rabiot/Camavinga in midfield.
Theo on the left, Saliba will be one CB, other one Konate/Upamecano and Pavard/Kounde on the right.
Maingan in goal.

That Julien Laurens said this morning that Saliba won't start. Upamecano and Konate preferred partnership. And Kante will start