Scouting costs adding up despite having scouting budget

Finance is one of the areas of the game that it is easy to get lost with. I have enough money in "scouting budget" to cover "scouting package" selected, but still see each month new "scouting costs" adding up in expenses and driving the balance into the red.

I though scouting budget was additional and separate from balance in bank, also unchecked option to keep "scouting reports up to date" in shortlists and suspended recruitment focuses, but was under understanding that as long as all those things are done within scope of scouting package, no additional funds would be needed.

Am I misunderstanding something of scouting costs then ?

On 17/05/2024 at 01:00, John100 said:

Finance is one of the areas of the game that it is easy to get lost with. I have enough money in "scouting budget" to cover "scouting package" selected, but still see each month new "scouting costs" adding up in expenses and driving the balance into the red.

I though scouting budget was additional and separate from balance in bank, also unchecked option to keep "scouting reports up to date" in shortlists and suspended recruitment focuses, but was under understanding that as long as all those things are done within scope of scouting package, no additional funds would be needed.

Am I misunderstanding something of scouting costs then ?

Not sure but there is a column you can add called "cost to scout player" which might give you more of an idea. 

On 16/05/2024 at 16:00, John100 said:

I though scouting budget was additional and separate from balance in bank,

I don’t think this is the case. You’ve been given a budget you can spend. Where this leaves the club’s bank balance is the Board’s problem, not yours. Same with transfer and wage budgets - as you spend them the overall bank balance depletes.

The scouting package is only there to tell you that the players exist. For the scouts to go out and scout people you need to pay for their flights and food and accommodation etc...

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 18/05/2024 at 21:54, phantombandit said:

The scouting package is only there to tell you that the players exist. For the scouts to go out and scout people you need to pay for their flights and food and accommodation etc...

Ok I see thanks scouting individual players costs extra once added column "scouting costs", shows small costs associated with each player, and bigger costs to those outside of scope.

It seems only way to stop it given there is no option to not scout them, is to do no scouting at all.

Having negative balance does affect things when asking for club to improve facilities, youth intake, etc.

Edited by John100

Posted (edited)

Thanks, seems only way to "scout" player without affecting balance (meaning for free) is to bring them for trial.

Did not know player targets frequency had costs associated with it, interesting.

Edited by John100

How clubs work: They take loads of money at the start of the season with ticket sales, then over the next 12 months it depletes monthly as money is used for wages, scouting, transfer budgets etc