RMD not performing but fine with IF/a

im cruising if i play him as IF/a. as IF/a hes always in the channel between the RB and RCB acting like a "wide poacher" scoring a lot whereas as RMD he just hangs around out wide "investigating" the useless space. he has really high off the ball too. 

whats the actual point of RMD if hes "investigating" the incorrect space in this game? like of course theres gonna be SPACE near the touchline. 

do i just have to suck it up and play IF? 

image.png.e95b4ea2d7a2c79ff4c014c314a27a09.png

The BBM will keep the wide player wide. You may be seeing the IF in the inside left channel because of the role instructions, but as soon as the BBM rotates forward the IF should go wide. I think the RMD is always wide because because the role is not asked to sit narrower and as soon as the BBM rotates he stays wide. You could try not using a rotating role for the left CM so the RMD has the wide and the inside left channel to investigate.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, bosque said:

The BBM will keep the wide player wide. You may be seeing the IF in the inside left channel because of the role instructions, but as soon as the BBM rotates forward the IF should go wide. I think the RMD is always wide because because the role is not asked to sit narrower and as soon as the BBM rotates he stays wide. You could try not using a rotating role for the left CM so the RMD has the wide and the inside left channel to investigate.

but the RMD has the sit narrower and move into channel PIs by default. 

what LCM role should i go with? 

6 goals in 6 IF games cause he gets into goal scoring positions whereas 0 goals in 6 RMD games cause hes busy role playing as a winger lol 

Edited by thebreadlady

1 hour ago, thebreadlady said:

but the RMD has the sit narrower and move into channel PIs by default. 

what LCM role should i go with? 

6 goals in 6 IF games cause he gets into goal scoring positions whereas 0 goals in 6 RMD games cause hes busy role playing as a winger lol 

Oh, my mistake about the RMD then. It's strange because when I play an IF with a bbm, mez, ap, rpm or a sv on his side, he stays wide. If you want to change the BBM role you could try with a CM (not on attack), a CAR or a BWM. It depends on the player attributes.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, thebreadlady said:

im cruising if i play him as IF/a. as IF/a hes always in the channel between the RB and RCB acting like a "wide poacher" scoring a lot whereas as RMD he just hangs around out wide "investigating" the useless space. he has really high off the ball too. 

whats the actual point of RMD if hes "investigating" the incorrect space in this game? like of course theres gonna be SPACE near the touchline. 

I prefer a DLF when using a wide primary goalscorer like the RMD. The hold up play will benefit him greatly. The F9 works best in facilitating onrushing central movement (SS, P, CM(a), SV etc).

• Importantly...your narrow high press (with counter as well) and roles around him do not create a lot of space for him to function inside.
    • For a narrow tactic like this I'd want a wingback(s) to support him + the DLF.
    • Stripping down the TIs (a blank slate of TIs lets players you give creative freedom to do there thing) and removing some that encourage overly hastened transitions forward will help as well, roamers in the final third benefit from time as compared to a IF who is running directly at goal. 

Post the profile you're using for the RMD, it's a more demanding role than the IF. IF at its core is a wide attacker with great off the ball. RMD needs great decision making anticipation etc. on top of all that. 

Edited by Cloud9

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

I prefer a DLF when using a wide primary goalscorer like the RMD. The hold up play will benefit him greatly. The F9 works best in facilitating onrushing central movement (SS, P, CM(a), SV etc).

• Importantly...your narrow high press (with counter as well) and roles around him do not create a lot of space for him to function inside.
    • For a narrow tactic like this I'd want a wingback(s) to support him + the DLF.
    • Stripping down the TIs (a blank slate of TIs lets players you give creative freedom to do there thing) and removing some that encourage overly hastened transitions forward will help as well, roamers in the final third benefit from time as compared to a IF who is running directly at goal. 

Post the profile you're using for the RMD, it's a more demanding role than the IF. IF at its core is a wide attacker with great off the ball. RMD needs great decision making anticipation etc. on top of all that. 

image.png.975bf47eb82cf031bcb4d32b6a0dcbe2.png

edit:  took of counter, counter press, standard width - 

yea i think IF is the role i want even though RMD sounds like the role i want, the guy would rather investigate space on the outside of the fullback instead of moving into channel whereas an IF actually moves into channel despite not having the moves into channel PI like RMD and frequently gets into scoring opportunities. 

image.png.3326a942f738ca2a8a06fa16908a9542.png

image.png.084fd8eef3c2bf8796ce4d957d1a91b2.png

i expect him to be between the RCB and RB cause of his move into channel PI and PPM and for the F9 to turn his man and play the assist to him here

image.png.c3ef19e5b2829090169eaefd6935f907.png

image.png.5c32263cd1e3f55aa321c937bcc1a7c1.png

image.png.dcd7c4158faca1f181855e766ec0d361.png

(PS people complaining about how wingers in FM dont stay wide like IRL should just train hugs touchline, run down the wing PPM on their wingers and play them as RMD, my RMD is legit playing more of a winger than my WINGER on the other side lol)

Edited by thebreadlady

I've tried a couple of different set-ups with a RMD and they've behaved in a very similar fashion every time. I'm not sure if it's something wrong with the role or my incompetence (very possible) but I've had no luck either.

Posted (edited)

The RMD is a nothing burger role, a fossil created just because Muller once joked about something. Should really be removed. No real team in the world has ever used a role like that.

Edited by Adonalsium

On 20/05/2024 at 19:34, thebreadlady said:

I suspect other players are crowding the space you want him to run into. I would swap the BBM and AP and put the FB on support.

Personally I wouldn’t use pass into space because a RMD works better when making runs that a teammate finds (hence my suggestion of putting the AP on the same side).

Just as an aside, having your SK on defend, two CDs and an Anchor means you are getting very little out if your GK and back 5 in transitions or build-up. You are asking an enormous amount of your AP in such a setup. Yet you are also distributing to centre backs. I’d have at least one of your CDs as a BPD, put the keeper on support and allow him to vary the distribution.

2 hours ago, NineCloudNine said:

I suspect other players are crowding the space you want him to run into. I would swap the BBM and AP and put the FB on support.

Personally I wouldn’t use pass into space because a RMD works better when making runs that a teammate finds (hence my suggestion of putting the AP on the same side).

Just as an aside, having your SK on defend, two CDs and an Anchor means you are getting very little out if your GK and back 5 in transitions or build-up. You are asking an enormous amount of your AP in such a setup. Yet you are also distributing to centre backs. I’d have at least one of your CDs as a BPD, put the keeper on support and allow him to vary the distribution.

Why FB-S? The RMD is supposed to operate more centrally and in the channels so it makes sense to have someone overlapping and maintaining width.

Why AP on the same side? It makes sense to have more of the ball (and therefore more opponents) on the opposite side of the pitch from where the ball can be switched to the teammate running into space.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ein said:

Why FB-S? The RMD is supposed to operate more centrally and in the channels so it makes sense to have someone overlapping and maintaining width.

Why AP on the same side? It makes sense to have more of the ball (and therefore more opponents) on the opposite side of the pitch from where the ball can be switched to the teammate running into space.

On the AP/BBM, I think the BBM on the left will make vertical forward runs into the exact places you want your RMD to go, on the left side of the box. I prefer the idea of the Winger and BBM making vertical runs on the right and the RMD making smart angled runs on the left, with the AP closer to him to find him with through passes.

On the FB, I find that FB-A tends to get high up the pitch and bang in crosses, which is no use to you as this will bypass the RMD and your central striker as an F9 will be too deep to benefit. I think you need crosses coming from the right (which is what the Winger is for) for the RMD to run on to at/near the back post. A FB-S will still provide width, but they will support rather than drive aggressively forward. A WB-D is also an option here.

Edited by NineCloudNine

6 hours ago, NineCloudNine said:

i tried AP but it was the same, RMD basically plays like a winger IRL. im guessing because theres plenty of space out wide to investigate so thats the easiest route for him to "investigate space". 

my BBM rarely occupies the space between the fb and cb so i see no reason why it shouldnt work with RMD especially when IF has no problem moving in to channel while also playing BBM on the same side. 

anyways im back to using an IF to great success instead since RMD doesnt function as one expects it - "wide poacher"

6 hours ago, NineCloudNine said:

what if my CBs arent good enough to be BPD and my Anchor man is just a CB retrained and my GK has poor distribution? 

29 minutes ago, NineCloudNine said:

You’ve made up your mind what you’re going to do, so I guess the thread has run its course, good luck! :)

yea i tried all sorts of roles behind my RMD but nothing worked

you didnt answer my question about CBs btw

2 minutes ago, thebreadlady said:

yea i tried all sorts of roles behind my RMD but nothing worked

you didnt answer my question about CBs btw

You’re punchy for someone asking for advice :lol:.

I have a RMD sitting on 25 goals and 15 assists last season, using the exact setup I described above - AP on his side, W on the other. He gets a lot of goals tapping in crosses at the far post and from running diagonally onto straight through-balls from the AP. His movement is glorious. I have never seen the winger-like behaviour you describe. I think the difference is that I give him a lot of room to operate him whereas you are crowding him, hence my suggestions.

If your CDs, A and GK all suck at distribution then I’d get new players. One way or another I think you need some sort of option for progressive passes out of defence, since otherwise everything is going through one player - your AP - with no plan B if they get marked out. I would put your GK on support and turn the least bad passer of your CDs into a BPD to see what happens. Personally, I also prefer a more mobile DM role than Anchor but that’s personal taste.

3 hours ago, NineCloudNine said:

You’re punchy for someone asking for advice :lol:.

I have a RMD sitting on 25 goals and 15 assists last season, using the exact setup I described above - AP on his side, W on the other. He gets a lot of goals tapping in crosses at the far post and from running diagonally onto straight through-balls from the AP. His movement is glorious. I have never seen the winger-like behaviour you describe. I think the difference is that I give him a lot of room to operate him whereas you are crowding him, hence my suggestions.

If your CDs, A and GK all suck at distribution then I’d get new players. One way or another I think you need some sort of option for progressive passes out of defence, since otherwise everything is going through one player - your AP - with no plan B if they get marked out. I would put your GK on support and turn the least bad passer of your CDs into a BPD to see what happens. Personally, I also prefer a more mobile DM role than Anchor but that’s personal taste.

maybe we're expected different movements from our RMD but hes acting like a winger for me even with AP as you suggested, tried bwm, dlp, carrilero too

i do play BPD when i have one but maybe my expectations for passing related attributes for a CB is too high lol 

DM position i just prefer an anchor with lower press PI too, i just dont want him going out of position pressing laterally at all defending, just deal with the area infront of the CBs

I'm not 100% sure about this but, I think that having the trait 'likes to beat offside trap' on your RMD and right winger might help creating space for your F9.

I'm also playing a F9, and a combo of 2 IFs, and I noticed that there was one IF with the trait, and whever I play with him my F9 and AP have the space necessary to shine.

However when I don't play with him the opposition tend to put a much higher def line and no one in my team is making runs behind the defense.

Did someone try something similar to this?

There are different ways to create space for the Raumdeuter. A simple way is to use focus play down the opposite flank which will open up tons of space for him to move into. Also your sole goalthreat is the RMD. Your false nine drops deep, your winger stays wide, your BBM and AP will run from deep. All pressure is on the RMD to make the goal. 

Just for a ploy i made a 433 with RMD, He can be used as a creater and as a goalscorer - and this is him first game against Man Utd. While my AF keeps the defense pre-occupied the raumdeuter has all the time in the world to create.image.png.664bf50d1f95a86a41ac13586e577e25.png