[FM24] Rosenborg Revival

3 hours ago, warlock said:

Brilliant opening post :thup:. Will follow with interest.

Thank you for the kind words! Excited to see where the save takes me, will be a tough slog!

Chapter 2 - Club Cultures and Formations

Welcome back to another post from Trondheim, Norway. In my previous post, I introduced you to my latest save with Rosenborg BK, and how I want to engineer the club to return them to their former glory.

Before I get to work on reshaping the current squad, I feel it is important to discuss the cultures in bold below:

Club Culture #1 – Ensure that the squad personality is determined.

Club Culture #2 – Rebuild a 4-3-3 formation and ensure attacking and exciting football; much like Rosenborg during the 90s.

Club Culture #3 – Build a defensively sound 4-5-1 formation for the European games where we are expected to be underdogs

Club Culture #4 – Recruit players between 15 & 17 for first-team development.

Club Culture #5 – Ensure that youth players are given a chance to perform for the first team when they are deserving of it.

I did note that some cultures may be tweaked in due course; other cultures may be introduced. Cultures 4 & 5 will be discussed in chapter 3, as I review the squad’s ability as a whole, and identify plans for the current crop of players.

image.thumb.png.e49dd768626d2a379afedb70d0f1faac.png

Achieving an overall determined squad personality is fairly simple – I need to ensure that players brought into the club have a positive personality to benefit the club. At the start of the save, my senior squad is 25 strong and, thanks to SaS24 skin, averages out to be a professional bunch.

My assistant, Jordi Gonzalez, also notes that the squad possess high levels of technique, strength, balance, determination and concentration. All key factors in churning out a winning mentality.

But what of those players who are already at the club who lack this positive personality?

Senior.thumb.png.3a2f62bdaee4b29b174b1d33e9c8e597.pngSecondTeam.png.b9555e8e473e156776515f39a5a7653a.pngU19s.png.55ca0c829ac0632b108ae6e4f22fe6b0.png

The personalities within our Senior, Rosenborg 2 and U19 squads.

Thankfully, I don’t need to worry too much as all three squads – Senior, Rosenborg 2 and U19s – contain none. I have been relying on FM Inside’s article on personalities to determine what is and isn’t a negative personality.

But what does alarm me, is the number of players outside my senior squad.

image.png.c59f8117efa6f584bcbd4668eeda1fe2.png

After reviewing Rosenborg 2, I am aware that there is a lot of work to be done for senior squad support – essentially, it is an U21 squad, but filled with U19 players. The next alarming thing is that there are not enough players for positions. We lack central midfielders whilst being very top-heavy in the striking department.

image.png.c728fca80ff2bae0882749be666230de.png

Our U19 situation is even more dire. The best thing I can do in this situation is to move the players who can play for the U19s back into this squad as they have National U19 Championship games scheduled. Rosenborg 2 compete in the Third Division, but at the time of writing, there are no fixtures planned for them.

Should this remain the case, then any player who is 19 or older and not ready for first-team opportunities at Lerkendal, will remain in Rosenborg 2. I will make this “squad” a feeder club, which in turn points back to Eggen’s thought process of youth developing in a first-team situation instead of playing football at a lower level.

For the senior and U19 squad, I will be targeting a total of 25 players in each squad. This will allow me the idea of 2 players per position, and 3 additional players that will be more versatile and cover around the park.

image.thumb.png.87738982b11c8a2cc4229c149c44fb46.png

My senior squad is just about there, but I will be delving into the current crop in the next post.

The next culture I want to focus on is the structure of my teams. Rosenborg in the 90s were known for their attacking, dominating football, and that is something I want to replicate in this save.

Main Formation

image.thumb.png.94669381a633a9c0fe09bd584913cde8.png

The idea is to set up in an attacking manner so that we remain on the front foot throughout the 90 minutes. The team will set up fairly wide, with the two wing-backs looking to overlap down their respective side and deliver whipped crosses for the frontmen to attack. Passing is intended to be shorter, whilst we will dictate a slightly higher tempo to disrupt our opposition.

Continuing the trend of disruption, the team are instructed to counter-press with the goalkeeper given clear instructions to distribute quickly to his back-line. If we hunt in packs to win the ball back high up the park, then we should look to dominate the ball and our opposition. If our goalkeeper is getting the ball back into play promptly, then we aren’t allowing the other team to get set in their structure.

Finally, when we do lose the ball, I’m hopeful that our much higher defensive line will put our opponents under immediate pressure. Limiting the space to their half should suffocate the team, and our front line is playing under a high press, triggering it much more often and preventing short distribution to cause panic. Our team’s spine is the strongest point, and with the instruction of trapping inside, I’m hopeful that we can contain teams in the middle of the park.

Secondary Formation

image.thumb.png.48b770716185119ebebc7dbdd49f04c0.png

Given the strength of Molde and Bodø/Glimt over recent years, I know that Rosenborg’s quality is not what it used to be. I can’t expect to walk over every single team in the league with one 4-3-3 variation, so I have something that will solidify the team a bit more, but still carry enough of a threat.

We will drop our mentality down to being balanced – something in between being defensively sound but sensing when to carry an attacking threat. We remain fairly wide but this is the only instruction I have when in possession of the ball; I don’t want our wing-backs to be caught out of possession every attack, so their supporting roles should keep them in check.

During the transition, I don’t want the side to go gung-ho in regaining the ball, but to play it smart and counter when the opportunity presents itself. I won’t budge away from building from the back, so the goalkeeper will be asked to distribute to the backline still, but there is no quick demand on this one.

Finally, when we are out of possession of the ball, the defensive line will drop back slightly to a higher line. This may create a bit of a gap between the attack and defence, but with our 3rd midfielder becoming a CM on support, he should be around to plug any gaps and give us the extra man in the middle of the park. We will still look to trigger the press more often and force our opposition inside.

European Formation

image.thumb.png.13d8947125d16dddd6e842e2bf246ca2.png

I briefly spoke about Rosenborg playing a 4-5-1 in Europe in my introductory post, and with that in mind, I have come up with the following:

This is one that I will need to tinker with, as I am not big on more defensive-minded formations. However, the idea is that in transition, the wingers get forward enough to turn this into a progressive 4-3-3, but they know they have a job on their hands to get back and help out.

Taking a more cautious approach, I have faith that our team has the quality in it to carve open chances and be a threat, but I am aware that European teams may have more quality throughout the side than ourselves. I want to keep our fairly wide approach to the attacking sense there, but when we do have the ball, I don’t want us to lose it so easily. A slightly lower tempo and shorter passing combo should see us retain the ball more frequently, but if the chance for an early cross is on, I want us to take it.

During transitions, we will look to regroup upon losing the ball, which then goes hand-in-hand with the counter instruction so that we can perhaps find gaps during these transitional battles.

Finally, when we are out of possession, I want to keep it simple for the players. Our front line will offer a mid-block to give a bit more security over the defence, but I do want our defence to play higher. My logic is that if we close the distance to the opposition goal, then we could hit on the break quickly and effectively.

This is going to be a massive work in progress, but it is something I think could be effective in European competition.

Next time out, I will dive more into the playing squad, along with specific individuals that I have high hopes for throughout this save. As well as this, I will look to design a pathway for our youth prospects into the senior team, whilst considering short and long-term plans for the current senior team.

I’m also doing a bit of homework on potential recruitment focuses at the time of writing, and I will lay out my findings and my plans for my scouting network.

13 hours ago, SteinkelssonFM said:

Lovely opening posts, youth and Scandinavia, a great combination. Looking forward to seeing how things pan out. 

Thank you for the kind words! Been sitting on the idea of a Rosenborg save for a long time, These Football Times done a brilliant article on them in 2019 and it just felt right with how I have approached FM24.

13 hours ago, keeper#1 said:

I toyed with doing something similar earlier in this FM cycle.  It was a lot fun.  Good luck and I'll be following along.

I vaguely recall reading your post at the start of the year, I will need to freshen my mind on it to see how different we view the squad etc! An initial look at the squad is promising, I’m just hoping that the tactical tweaks can shoot Rosenborg up into the top spots instead of lingering further down the pecking order!

Posted (edited)

Chapter 3 - Building the Future: Squad Review and Recruitment Strategy

After jotting down my formation ideas, and how I would like to set the team up for the foreseeable future, it was time that I got to the all-important part: squad review. During this review, I had to consider club culture #5 placed upon myself – youth players are given a chance in the senior squad when deserving of a chance. For now, our brightest youth prospects are still a year or two away from consistently knocking on the door, but I will still touch on a couple of players I think could be vital to the team in years to come.

I’m hopeful that my below review will highlight the thought process behind the different areas of the pitch, and where likely future chances are going to be available for candidates.

I touched on that I want both the senior and U19 squads to have 25 players; 2 players for every position allowing for 3 versatile players to provide additional cover in case of a crisis. What I have noted at the early stages of a review, is that our senior squad is filled with many versatile players, and the only way I will be able to properly sort out my 25-man squad for the first season, is through Football Manager’s squad planner.

Goalkeepers

goalkeepers.png

I am quite happy with this department, as we have 2 goalkeepers for both squads. In this instance, I won't be looking to recruit in this area, as I will be looking to use Henrik Jamne as the U19 number 1 initially, but he will be the 2nd backup for the senior squad if an injury crisis breaks out.

rasmus-sandberg.png?w=1024 sander-tangvik.png?w=1024

Our two options for the number 1 are very similar, but in my eyes, it is going to be Rasmus Sandberg who will claim the position as his own for the opening of the season. Tangvik is a brilliant number 2 to have behind him, so we are settled here for the short-term future.

Defenders

defenders.png

A lot of options available to me throughout this area of the park, and a lot of experience too.

Markus Henriksen is one of the veterans in the team and is a key part of the team given his ability to play in the heart of defence and midfielder. He will be lining up on the right of the central two to provide experience to the younger players in and around him. Partnering with Henriksen will be Ulrik Yttergård Jenssen, who is our natural left-footed central defender. The two roles may swap round in due course, but I have confidence in our experienced 2.

Jonathan Augustinsson amassed 77 games for Djurgårdens IF over 5 seasons and would be crucial down the left-hand side of the pitch. However, he is out for the season with a cruciate ligament injury - a big loss. Stepping into his shoes on the left will be Adrian Pereira, a 23-year-old Norweigan wing-back and he is more than capable of grabbing a handful of assists throughout the season.

Completing the back line is Erlend Dahl Reitan, as he secures the right wing-back berth. Hard-working and aggressive, he fits within the mould of a side looking to dominate their opponents. His preference to get forward whenever possible is a huge advantage, as we should be able to overload the wide areas of the park.

Youth to Consider

Paweł Chrupałła - The Polish youngster is on the fringes of the senior squad, but my problem is the lack of natural position. He is capable of playing within the front three, or anywhere on the left, but he lacks the striker prowess required or the defensive capabilities. I will be looking to loan out Paweł for the season and review his performances in a position after this - he could be a great squad player to keep around, but I suspect he will not be delighted at that notion.

Håkon Singsdal Volden - Tipped to be a lot better than Markus Henriksen, I am excited about the potential within Volden. His lack of passing ability would suit him more towards the central defender role within our system, but he does look mentally strong at the age of 16. He does have interest from Ranheim, First Division side, which could prove to be a great opportunity for him to develop. If this does not come to anything, depending on his form for the U19s, we may look to invite him to be a part of the senior squad from time to time.

Midfielders

midfielders.jpeg

A lot of players to consider here, but I have my idea of the midfield three.

Tobias Børkeeiet will be at the base of the midfield three and providing that additional anchor cover to his two CBs when we go forward. He secured a move to Danish giants Brøndby from Stabæk, so has the experience and knowledge of playing in the Eliteserien.

Our second most experienced individual at the club, Ole Kristian Selnæs will become the box-to-box midfielder for the club. Ole made his breakthrough at the club when he was just 18, he got a big-money move to Saint Etienne before heading out to China. A quality player to have around the club, I hope we can keep him for the rest of his prime!

Finally, and the one I have been excited for since deciding on Rosenborg as my final save of the game cycle. Sverre Halseth Nypan. The 16-year-old has bags of potential, and I hope that I can help him channel it in the right manner. Nypan has featured for Rosenborg as a striker, but I will be looking to deploy him as the roaming play-maker in the side and let him be the creative force for the front three. Our biggest task? Ensuring we can fend off European interest during the summer months!

Youth to Consider

Isak Jønvik Holmen - The 15-year-old is touted to be one of the best prospects within the U19s and it is clear to see why. My issue with him is lacking ability with dribbling, but with time on his side, I could easily see him as a future roaming playmaker. Senior football may be extremely rare to him this season, but with the right mentoring and training, Rosenborg fans may just see him next season.

Tobias Dahl - I think there could be a talent here. The issue is that he is more and more of a deep-lying playmaker than an anchor, box-to-box or a roaming playmaker. Rosenborg needs a turn in fortunes when Dahl's development is the subject of conversation, or a level of agreeableness to learn a new role within the team - I suspect this will not be as easily attainable given his low determination. A shame.

Attackers

attackers.png

And perhaps our weakest area currently.

Noah Jean Holm is injured until the start of April; by then he would have missed a pre-season and will take a few weeks to get up to speed with the rest of the squad. I have estimated a return to peak fitness for the team by May, provided there are no setbacks along the way. Ole Sæter is out right until June, so Rosenborg won't be seeing him until late July or early August providing his recovery has no hiccups. I am hopeful that he can return to full fitness and return some crucial goals towards the business end of the season.

In the meantime, Rosenborg will look to Ísak Snær Þovarldsson to fill the void on the left, and a mixture of Marius Broholm and Emil Frederiksen on the right. Both positions are inside forwards, and Holm's absence is certainly felt on the right. Frederiksen is not keen on big matches, so there will be a natural rotation between him and Broholm depending on the opposition at hand.

Spearheading the attack, I am putting all my hopes and dreams into Finnish striker Agon Sadiku. After realising my striker problem, Sadiku was promoted to the senior side to help out whilst we await Sæter's return. Big shoes to fill for a young boy, but I am confident that he can return a good ratio in the opening months of the season.

Youth to Consider

José Fernando Santa Suárez - The 15-year-old knows his way to his goal but has a lot of areas to work on first and foremost if he wants to go far in his professional career. His inability to work within a team is not going to work in his favour, and this is something I need to work with the staff to improve as soon as possible.

Magnus Holte has very similar cons as Suárez, we need to work on his mental side of the game and hope that it improves quickly. A great talent to have around the club, but a long way to go.

Sadly, both strikers are a long way away from senior football, but I have confidence that we can get them into a position where they could feature next season.

Senior Squad - Final Squad Plan

final-squad-planner-1.png

We are certainly light in the centre of defence and for our roaming playmaker - we do have options we could move about to get by, but I'm not satisfied. This stresses the importance of the youth prospects improving massively in the next 12 months to avoid repetition of this problem further down the line.

For now? The creation of recruitment focuses to try and plug some leaks.

Recruitment

Club culture #4 touched upon recruiting players aged between 15-17 from Norwegian clubs. This is a massive recruitment area for the club, as Rosenborg have always been known as a club that will bring through youth talent, and they will eventually get their big move to Europe - if not through Rosenborg, through one of the other Norwegian clubs that eventually pick up on those that don't nail down a place in the senior side.

15-17.png?w=1024

I hold out on hopes that these current settings will return ample results for me to filter out anyone I deem not Rosenborg quality, or even profitable. We are focusing our scouts on the top division, first division and the Norwegian Cup to ensure we have the pick of the bunch.

Not so much a club culture as such, but I wanted to implement a signing policy for former Rosenborg players. Back in the 90s, Rosenborg tended to let go of players to other clubs and then would sign them back up. A prime example of this would have been Brattbakk. He signed for Bodø/Glimt after complaining about first-team opportunities, after a season where Bodø/Glimt ran Rosenborg close, he was signed back and was let loose on the league - scoring 30 in 33 appearances in all competitions.

former-rosenborg.png

This recruitment focus may filter through younger players who recently were let go or return players that I elected to let go as I couldn't see a development path for them. I am hopeful in my abilities that we avoid the latter, but one or two may slip through the cracks.that 

It would be great to find my own Brattbakk from those who left the club before my arrival.

One of my club objectives was to field a team of players from Trondheim in the Champions League. To replicate this, I have to manually filter these players from the players in range section, and then I will be able to add them to a new shortlist created. In this instance, I am casting a wider net in filtering those within the Trøndelag region - which contains 10 towns and cities.

region.png?w=1024

With the two recruitment focuses in place, along with my manual searches for the region, I feel we have ample opportunities and options available to us to strengthen the squad for the short and long term.

recruitment-team.png?w=1024

Therein lies the initial problem: we only have one scout. Now the easy approach would be to cherry-pick my staff, but I don't believe that would be left to a manager in real life. The decision to recruit someone for a particular position in the backroom staff would come through adverts or recommendations from my technical director, and that is exactly how I plan on recruiting my staff.

I believe that the best feeling of unity comes from within, and I will ensure that when a staff position opens up, staff from the U19s are in for consideration.

Edited by CameronFM

2 hours ago, SteinkelssonFM said:

I always recruit via job advert, I know the staff search option will likely bring back a better talent pool, but to me it just doesn't feel right! 

Madness!

Agreed!

I think the staff search option needs a bit of a revamp personally. I tend to find "realistic" targets unrealistic due to their large wage demands. Coupled with the fact that no club in the world would recruit in this manner - only unless it is a former employee and they want to bring them back then they may send out any indication!

I also like the idea of going off your own staff's recommendations on areas - they will be looking out for either friends or know of someone of quality who will boost the club's staffing department.

13th March 2023 - Monthly Staff Meeting

Ahead of the season starting, it's the first monthly staff meeting. Now this is a feature within FM that I skip by, and perhaps cast an eye over the information and tweak it occasionally. For this save, I want to pay attention to the recommendations and points brought forward, consider the impacts these recommendations could have and either implement the considerations or approach with a new idea. This may be an infrequent post, as I doubt very much there will be massive changes each month, so I may hone in on repeating this style every quarter.

Side note - I have returned to Mustermann Iconic for this save, so the attribute scorings below were typed before the screenshots were created.

Members present
Natanael Knutsen - Manager
Jordi Gonzalez - Assistant Manager
Alexander Tettey - First-team Coach
Christer Basma - Head of Youth Development
Svein Maalen - Technical Director

Vice-Captain

Currently, there is a vacant role within the team, as Markus Henriksen is looking for a deputy to help out this season. With leadership and teamwork attribute ratings of 15 and a professional personality, it is clear to see why he is the current armband holder. Both Gonzalez and Tettey recommend promoting Erland Dahl Reitan to vice-captain. The 25-year-old defender is rated 13 & 15 in leadership and teamwork but boasts a perfectionist personality. He has a total of 217 appearances between Rosenborg and Bodø/Glimt and therefore is aware of the demands of a big club. Whilst Reitan is a fantastic candidate, it would be foolish not to look through the team where one more player stands out to me: Ulrik Yttergård Jenssen.
Whilst the 26-year-old only has 179 appearances to his name, he does have the experience of being on the books at Lyon; a massive club. His downside is a 13 rating for leadership and teamwork but does have a professional personality. 

Reitan is seen as a team-leader, along with Henriksen. Jenssen is classed as an influential player. Factoring this in, it is clear who my vice-captain should be. 

Outcome - Reitan as vice-captain, Jenssen as standby.

Players - Training & Traits

Gonzalez and Tettey both believe that three players could benefit from an individual training programme, and two from trait alterations. I tend to focus on these programmes in the middle of pre-season so that the players can focus on getting their fitness levels up, but it is good to get an idea of what the staff think could be worthwhile instead of just me looking at progression within a specific role. The beauty of the player trait is that both members of staff have different ideas concerning the players, and it is time to weigh up these suggestions.

Jayden Nelson

At the time of reviewing the squad, I did not mention the young Canadian. When drilling into what he is and isn't good at, I didn't see a role suitable for him within the starting 11. His tendency to cut in from the right onto a very weak left foot leaves me questioning, but perhaps with some time and work, we can fashion him into an inside forward on the left. Both members of staff believe his ability in the final third is lacking - particularly his off-the-ball movement (11), decision-making (8) and anticipation (9). Gonzalez would like to get Nelson training his weak left foot and I agree with the notion. However, as I am more likely to utilise him on the left to come in on his right foot, I don't feel it necessary at this moment in time.

Outcome - Attacking movement training focus implemented - progress to be reviewed by next quarter.

Emil Frederiksen

The second winger to be selected for scrutiny. The Danish winger still has a lot to learn but is a bit further in his development compared to Nelson. The staff have identified parts of his physical game to be the weak area and I am confident we can see improvements in this by next quarter. As I am deploying Frederiksen as an inside forward, I am expecting him to be able to ride a challenge and dart past opposing defenders - but with agility and balance scored 11 and 12 respectively, I feel he will struggle.

Gonzalez believes that the team and Frederiksen will benefit massively from him cutting in on his left foot off the right. Tettey believes that Frederiksen should be shifting the ball onto his left before starting a dribble. Both are fundamentals to the inside forward position, but for the team, I have elected to go with Gonzalez's recommendation of cutting in on his left foot. 

Outcome - Agility and balance training focus implemented - progress to be reviewed by next quarter. Player trait to be watched over the next 2 months.

Ísak Snær Þovarldsson

Our Icelandic inside forward. At the age of 21, he still has to learn his trade and I am hoping he can settle here and do just that - we are his 7th club in a very short career. Like Nelson, my staff feel that his weakness lies in off-the-ball movement (11), anticipation (11) and decision-making (10), and I agree that we should look to work on his final third game to get the best out of him. Like Gonzalez, he believes that Ísak should be cutting in on his favoured right foot from the left; Tettey believes killer balls should be honed in on. With vision scored 14 and passing 12, I am inclined to go with Gonzalez once again, as I want my wide-men supporting our lone striker in the goals department.

Outcome - Attacking movement training focus implemented - progress to be reviewed by next quarter. Player trait to be watched over the next 2 months.

Development - Player Happiness, Integration 

Gonzalez has brought forward a potential issue with young Paweł Chrupałła following his demotion to the 2nd team. I shouldn't need to worry too much about his unhappiness spreading around the club: he isn't deemed to be an influential player (he falls under other players). For the sake of the team and training consistency, I will be looking to loan him out sooner rather than later - he believes he is more than capable of being in the first team, well go out and show me the capability.

With money in the bank, £4.4M, the ability to focus on squad integration is crucial. As things stand, Nelson, Þovarldsson and Väänänen all cannot speak a word of Norwegian and have the opportunity to go on a language course. This will cost the club a total of £36,500 to do so, and that is something I feel we cannot ignore.

Staffing - Coaching Team Vacancies, Recruitment Team Vacancies & Medical Team Vacancies

Svien Maalen's area of expertise, the staffing departments. From here, this is how I will base any potential staff recruitments, or take note of potential replacements that can benefit the club.

His first port of call was to recommend Marius Røvde as a potential goalkeeper coach. He is semi-experienced from his 8-year playing career, whilst spending 9 years in North America as a coach. My issue is that we have 3 positions available, and that would mean either getting rid of former player Alexander Lund Hansen as our goalkeeper coach or sacrificing a coaching position.

Maalen also believes it would make sense to promote Peder Lindsetmo from Rosenborg 2 to the senior squad. Lindsetmo is a fitness coach and is more knowledgeable than our current coach Vetle Veirød but does not possess the same level of discipline skills.

Outcome - Stick with Lund Hansen. Being a former player, it feels right to keep him and his fairly loyal personality around the squad. Røvde is not a massive upgrade either. Stick with Veirød as our fitness coach. Terminate Lindsetmo's contract and save the £950 per week in wages - we don't have enough players in Rosenborg 2 to justify a backroom team.

Sebastian Arnesen is a free agent and comes with a great CV behind him: 5 years as a scout for Chelsea, 1 year as a scout for Hamburger SV and 8 years as a scout for Manchester City. Maalen believes we are capable of landing Arnesen as our chief scout, but he could be costly in wages. His preferred formation matches my own tactical identity, which would be a bonus when picking out players for the first team. 

image.thumb.png.6c0102e44bd783695b8ba60ab131102c.png

Tor-Kristian Karlsen is also another free agent following 2 years with Start as their DoF. We do have a DoF in place, Mikael Dorsin, but it could be massive to bring Karlsen's experience and knowledge to the side and allow him the opportunity to work closely with the recruitment team and agents. Like Arnesen, his wages could prove to be a stumbling block, but it is worth discussing to see what deal can be struck.

image.thumb.png.c53f38b1efc097579607cac3d8addca4.png

Outcome - Schedule talks with both men concerning the vacancies over the chief scout and DoF roles.

Maalen brought the last of his recommendations to the table and this time was focusing on the medical team. We aren't strong in this area, but we aren't weak - 2 physios, a chief doctor and a sports scientist are on the books. Maalen recommends moving Arve Kjønes up into the head physio role and looking to recruit Jonathan Bar-Yaacov from Fremad Amager as our head sports scientist. He also recommends free agent Max Grahn as a sports scientist to replace our current option - Ulrik Wisløff.

Outcome - Given that we can always advertise the missing roles, I agree with Maalen's recommendations in both roles. Talks are to be scheduled with both. Ulrik Wisløff will remain in his role as we pass on Grahn.

Pre-season Friendly #1 

image.thumb.png.cd26703eba7a8304691bc6db19cd04b9.png

We kickstart our pre-season with a straightforward win over semi-pro Spanish outfit Villaralbo. Only 2 players that started played for the full 90 minutes, and will be factored into the team selection for the next friendly against Atlético Bembibre.

Villaralbo Goal '14  - 1-0

image.png.68c499cc907d6556d3ed604545249f31.png

Not too happy with our shape in this goal. Jennsen stepping up and beyond the midfield to put pressure on the eventual goalscorer immediately causes problems for Pereira on the left as he cannot put pressure on the ball. If he goes, the striker is free, if he doesn't go, Manero has the luxury of getting his head up to create a chance.

Pereira eventually goes to the ball, leaving Børkeeiet (anchor) to plug the gap. Jenssen has to closely follow his man but doesn't.

Abel expertly finishes the chance off.

Þovarldsson Goal '20 - 1-1

Thankfully, we weren't behind for long.

image.png.e855dc326aa68d5d1b22911bb6181a93.png

Happy with our shape at the start of this attack for several reasons. Both FBs are in advanced positions, forcing the opposition back and limiting their ability to counter-attack should we turn over the ball cheaply. Børkeeiet has tucked in to form the basis of a back three, giving us security. Broholm's position causes problems for the Spanish side: wedged between two midfielders means the one behind cannot commit to him due to the advanced position of Reitan and Frederiksen knows he has room to utilise if the situation pans out that way. Crucially, Sadiku coming closer to the ball opens up the space in behind.

image.png.4f2037ece7bc8592f3087aeebe5da0a4.png

The decision-making of passes could be questioned, but I am happy that the players recognised where the space is and what could hurt the opposition. Þovarldsson knows that he can move into the small space in front of him and shape his body for the return pass and shot on goal.

image.png.125b9afa58cb229375795a71e74ce08d.png

Børkeeiet Goal '35 - 1-2

image.png.f278a966972fa5e6a0cdcb7374f213e8.png

Created by himself, the role of the anchor is wonderful in the wide positions as Børkeeiet goes and wins the ball in a 2v1 situation and creates the turnover from nothing. He has the space to drive into, and Þovarldsson has positioned himself in a position where the opposing right-back does not know what to do. Their RCM is occupied with the presence of Selnæs.

image.png.6cfcf5c6bae94599995f55c80382663c.png

He then finds Reitan perfectly out wide who can drive forward with the ball, as Børkeeiet doesn't stop there and moves centrally into the gap created. Frederiksen plays this situation well, knowing with his back to goal he is limited in what he can do, finds Børkeeiet once again, who is fortunate to shoot from a distance and beat the keeper for power.

Frederiksen Goal '40 - 1-3

image.png.eb2632a23a782c57eb219a2b4fcc52dc.png

The goal I am most delighted about. A huge pet peeve of mine is witnessing any side's wingers not being present in the box for crosses. Selnæs finds a yard for the cross, and our entire front line is in the box waiting to either attack or position themselves for a rebound. The cross in this instance goes deep, Frederiksen wants the ball more and gets above his marker to nod home a third, but Sadiku moves into the 6-yard box for any potential spills and Þovarldsson moves closer to the far post.

image.thumb.png.f018eb7bf9559194015fca7a6e268382.png

We completed 321 passes throughout the match, and only 10 passes were intercepted. With time, I want to ensure that intercepted passes are not coming from within our half, and in this instance, our CBs need to look to get the ball out wide more often or are certain that they can play through the opposing press and their midfield.

image.thumb.png.32ab7a4a3b14f36664cd3e2ba12b8a21.png

Our shot map is also promising at this stage as we are looking to create overloads and gaps in the opposition defence and midfield. 16 shots within the box, with only 6 coming outside the area suggests that we are capable of making a team defend deep, but we know that we can pop the ball back out the box for a chance on goal due to the lack of pressures from the above screenshots.

We cannot get ahead of ourselves though, as this level of opposition is lower than the standard we will be coming up against in the Eliteserien all season. A good performance, with areas to review over the coming friendlies to be in a better position for the league campaign.

Pre-Season Analysis

With all 6 games of pre-season now played, it's time to review the last 2.5 weeks and review how the formation is looking, how players are settling with their roles and the overall performance.

Played 6 - Won 5 Drew 1

A good record to come out of pre-season with, but we were playing against weaker opposition. We started with a tour in Spain where we played Villaralbo, Bembibre and Socuéllamos - all semi-professional outfits. My previous post dives into the Villaralbo game, so I won't be covering that game in this analysis.

Bembibre 2 Rosenborg 4

image.png.799126f16dfae8908d04d17238096bfb.png

For the second game running, it took an opposition goal to get us going, and it was a late show. The starting 11 was predominately the team that ended the game against Villaralbo, with 11 substitutes being made around the 55th minute. From this short stint, I could tell that my first 11 is absolutely the strongest team at this moment in time, with injured players still to make a comeback. By the 55th minute we had generated a total xG of 0.34; the second team generated 1.90 inside the remaining 35 minutes.

Bembibre's first goal came from dealing with a corner poorly. They had a shot blocked, but we were too slow on the follow-up and Castagne was able to pick up a pass and rifle home the opener. The second goal is truly criminal, and it was the start of a common problem. 

image.thumb.png.3052c38ebc843dad154e0a8ee2e3d665.png

Whilst I believe this was the start of a common problem, there is another issue that I clocked in this phase and it is the ability to start and maintain this passage of play. We need to be a lot more aggressive in the press. Regardless, being able to play a ball right over the top of our defence is inexcusable, and changes are in the offing.

image.thumb.png.688e5ca36760574e60d06ecb795e173e.pngimage.thumb.png.c5283c13d9bc24cdcea5711c1992029e.pngimage.thumb.png.7052a504b780ca2e6480591ea8107fbc.png

Our quality of passing play deteriorated with each goal, but I am still delighted we can get shots off on goal even when under pressure. 

Socuéllamos 1 Rosenborg 1

image.png.644a7cb658250592e3fff32c08dcebb7.png

In another game, we fell behind first and came away with a poor result as far as I am concerned, regardless of the chances created. We peppered our Spanish opposition's goal with 19 shots, but only managed 7 on target generating a total xG of 1.78. On a law of averages, we would have won this game had it been played a day earlier or later, but relying on what could have been, is not how I want to approach this save. 

image.thumb.png.3e9fde5d34ad66bb42f842e0bb2b58db.png

I am a huge fan of how quickly we can penetrate an opposition's defence with so few passes.

Rosenborg 4 HamKam 1

image.png.76ebe4f46263e3adaa5a6f795e4819a3.png

Whilst it's starting to become alarming, I am pleased with our ability to turn the game around after falling behind and win rather comfortably. A 4-1 probably flattered us from an xG sense, we narrowly won that battle 2.54 to 2.05. 

image.thumb.png.c82a216a4df40b244cdac964ee0e90b6.png

HamKam took the lead with this passage of play, and yet again, the fact their CB can pick out a CM with such ease, and the wide man to play a one-in-a-million diagonal is worrying. 

image.thumb.png.408ed2c2e381169af6262ec8a818f2d8.pngimage.thumb.png.37d410f5dbb543ddc092ed7e087d7ca6.png

We levelled the game with a very fortunate own goal, HamKam's defender tried to block a cross which ended up in the back of the net. Not long later, we edged in front with a well-delivered corner, before crafting open the two goals above. A much better showing for the side, especially against a team we will be playing against this season.

Ranheim 1 Rosenborg 4

image.png.ecfb67cd1b19258591033e64dc17b543.png

Finally, a game where we took the lead for a change, but I still feel as though it was a very cheap goal to give away. Pereira dealt with a corner at the near post, but we were passengers in getting out of our own box and Ranheim managed to squeeze a shot through the bodies. 

image.thumb.png.fc9231665d504cf74dc8c98166414f8a.pngimage.thumb.png.a614acb2e8ad8c451028aea1fd51e099.pngimage.thumb.png.63332874bffd5c026f1d6d5c96620f98.png

Broholm showed why he is an exciting talent with a double, and his goals were of good quality. Børkeeiet bundled home the third goal after their GK spilt the ball from claiming a corner. Frederiksen claimed the goal of the game with a great team goal.

From 19 shots - 10 on target - we generated an xG of 1.90. A bit alarming.

Rosenborg 3 Sarpsborg 2

image.png.7980a5b1e8ba60d43d7885c167f29398.png

A much better first-half display. Appalling second-half performance, but we managed to find something to take home the win. Our xG was 3.77 in this win, thanks to a missed penalty, where our opponents generated an xG of 1.27. 

image.thumb.png.93421a42055b50b422cc3a6d8ab80935.pngimage.thumb.png.ec598abb0b30681448f31445412d49f9.png

I can't say I'm surprised at this point, and if I let this continue, I'd be signing my death wish.

image.thumb.png.69d3c6dd9d46407c5b522c2fddc23214.pngimage.thumb.png.75f2bf74c53529f8a4478715d2af95b8.pngimage.thumb.png.44acdbbdfdba9c196df017eaac7d8833.png

Thankfully, we were able to snatch the win at the end of the day, but it has been an eye-opener as to how I want to approach the season.

Tactical Tweaks

From the above 5 games, we lost 4 goals which involved a long ball. Breaking these down further:

Bembibre - 62 long passes attempted - 23 successful. 230 passes made, 10% long passes.

Socuéllamos - 53 long passes attempted - 18 successful. 232 passes made, 7.75% long passes. 

HamKam - 49 long passes attempted - 25 successful. 251 passes made, 9.96% long passes.

Ranheim - 39 long passes attempted - 14 successful. 233 passes made, 6% long passes.

Sarpsborg - 54 long passes attempted - 12 successful. 171 passes made, 7% long passes.

We are being targeted due to our play style of pressing high and staying high. A great deal of long passes are not successful, but I would rather take action now and avoid being picked apart by a bigger and better team in the shape of Molde and Bodø/Glimt.

image.thumb.png.2596e4ff7f5b81b3c0ea421c7073a602.png

With that in mind, I have elected to bring back the defensive line a notch, remaining high just not as advanced as pre-season. Jenssen has had his role changed to CD(D), as I felt in a more risky role like the BPD, he was advancing beyond my Anchor and I was not comfortable with how short it was leaving us at the back.

Sadiku

The young Finish striker grabbed 3 goals over the 6 games in pre-season, which I am delighted about given his lack of experience. He had been playing in a PF(A) role, but for some reason or another, he was not as advanced as I would have liked. A lot of his average positions throughout pre-season were around where a number 10 would be placed, and I need someone right on the two CBs to stop them from playing out and easily beating the press with a long ball.

I think if I were to bring him back into the game as an Advanced Forward, it would give him that licence to be more aggressive in the press. I've not had a lot of joy with a pressing forward role this year, I sometimes think it is better suited in a dual-striker formation. Let's hope Sadiku can close down those margins a bit more to give the team a hand.

Posted (edited)

5th June 2023

image.thumb.png.12005e3f5f1874d55af0037dacffbecd.png 

Life in Norway has been good to me so far. We are competing with Bodø/Glimt and ahead of Molde in the standings right now, but all that can change so quickly. 

image.png.908b3c8794da16d73caa35c64b7d908c.png

We were dumped out of the cup in the First Round which is incredibly frustrating - Holm missed an open goal from 6 yards before Selnæs saw a penalty crash off the post and a second saved by the keeper. We did pull one back in the 91st minute, but the damage had been done. We were expected to make the quarter-finals of the cup.

I spoke about wanting to play on the front foot and in the opposition's faces. I wanted to ensure that we played attacking football, controlling the space on the pitch and retaining possession. But is that philosophy carrying onto the pitch in our games?

image.thumb.png.5e4a614ebf85dd0a97f50e631092e8c1.png

We are dominating the charts for the most passes in the final third and one of the least amount against in our own final third, which can still be brought down to match the level set by Bodø/Glimt. Since changing to 2 central defender roles and dropping the defensive line back one, we are retaining the ball more efficiently.

image.thumb.png.13a841faa5d0143c42e15fc891082af6.pngimage.thumb.png.226260f808c20639e657a75db8b0167b.pngimage.thumb.png.de09af487bcd0e92bcb2321c3fc460a5.png

Our team performance polygraphs are all pointing in a positive direction compared to the division average, which to me is a sigh of relief. We are creating an ample amount of opportunities each game but with a low xG percentage. 

image.thumb.png.0cee05352fdc24d681ea93c2c7b05c66.png

I put this down to not having my best players available from the start of the season. Holm has recently returned from injury, but further injuries have meant he has been playing as our number 9 instead of coming off the left-hand side. Since his return from injury, he has returned 5 goals and 1 assist.

image.thumb.png.16ed39e525354640c34305b914ee423d.png

I find it alarming that our best player has only converted 20% of his shots, and with the return of Sæter imminent, I am hoping we can finally rely on a proper striker. 

image.thumb.png.d122b6f43db2fba98d26a6d5b1b06b0d.png

Staff Meeting

Natanael Knutsen - Manager

Jordi Gonzalez - Assistant Manager

Alexander Tettey - First-team Coach

Sami Hyypiä - First-team Coach

Ebbe Sand - First-team Coach

Tor-Kristian Karlsen - Director of Football

Sebastian Arnesen - Chief Scout

Erik Selnæs - Performance Analyst

Christer Basma - Head of Youth Development

Svein Maalen - Technical Director

Coaching - Individual Focuses

This is a straightforward area for the coaching team to discuss. All four coaches agree that Rasmus Sandberg & Adrian Pereira require an additional focus to improve. Sandberg should be working on his agility & balance, whilst the chaps agree that Pereira needs to work on his marking, decisions and positioning

Outcome - Training focuses implemented for both players - review next quarter.

Previous focuses

At the last meeting, it was agreed that Nelson, Frederiksen and Þovarldsson had areas to work on. From a quick review of these three players, it is the belief that Nelson has made some improvement towards his off-the-ball ability and anticipation. His decision-making has not changed; for better or for worse. Frederiksen needed to work on his agility and balance, and like Nelson, made small levels of improvement in this area of his game. Þovarldsson was the final player with a focus implemented and was working with Nelson to work on his attacking movement. Unfortunately, only his decision-making seems to have improved.

Review Decision - Continue current focuses.

Recruitment - Contract Offers & Loan List

image.thumb.png.2966d5f27dc88092f67a6df82a42bbe9.png

Young Fridtjoh Killi Olsen has bagged himself 3 goals and 3 assists in 10 games for the U19s and is training extremely well. Currently on a youth contract, and Karlsen believes we should be looking to secure his future with the club by signing a professional contract. 

Outcome - Schedule talks over a new deal.

Karlsen believes that we should be looking to make Mikkel Ceïde and José Fernando Santa Suárez available for loan. Ceïde is around the senior squad and has made 3 substitute appearances so far. However, since Tagseth's return from injury, minutes have been limited for the young Norwegian. 

image.thumb.png.1eb8b7c903311e6076e4743c869f4588.png

Santa Suárez, on the other hand, has been ever-present for the U19s and has 5 goals to his name so far this season. Still learning his trade, and a loan move could be beneficial for him at this stage, but the window does not open again until August.

Outcome - Consider loan deals for both players. Suárez may find it difficult to find a loan club, so he could well remain in the U19s for the season.

Staffing - Coaching, Recruitment and Medical Teams

Maalen was back with a whole host of opinions concerning the backroom departments. First on his agenda was the coaching team.

After a recruitment drive that saw Hyypiä and Sand join the club, we put the foundations down for building a strong coaching team. We still have one position to fill, and Maalen believes our goalkeepers should benefit from this vacancy. His recommendation is Richard Richardsson, who played mostly in Sweden's first division.

image.thumb.png.db6de29c9286cad04ab00269c0921989.png

He also holds the opinion that we should look to recruit Nicklas Möller as a performance analyst to take some of the burden off the current 2 members of staff. However, I don't feel that this is an area of priority for now given our small squad and regular review.

Outcome - Approach Richardsson.

Given our current injury crisis, Maalen believes it would be logical to hire another physio to aid player rehabilitation. We currently have a head physio and physio, so I am keen to bring in another member for the team.

image.thumb.png.077ce7cadacf50cc4bd73a86b572e87b.png

Maalen strongly believes Allgulander should be approached, with Sandberg not too far off the pecking order.

Outcome Approach both men and determine which one is going to be more cost-effective for the club.

Edited by CameronFM

With the transfer window about to open for the Norwegian clubs, I felt it was time to review performances within the first four months of the season.

image.png.efc53ade9e18c718c398a7bd9ef0651c.png

Jordi raises major concerns in his senior team report surrounding these areas and to some, the set-piece first contact stat would be alarming. However, when breaking down the facts and figures, this is not so much an area of concern:

image.thumb.png.238fc14935b190982b8eb90496c70aaa.png

Whilst Jordi does have areas of concern, I don't feel these are paramount enough to factor in before a transfer window. Yes, of course, depth can be improved and positional quality can be worked on but I need to hone in on the fact that we seem to be struggling to put games to bed, despite creating enough opportunities inside 90 minutes.

Over 16 league games so far, we have accumulated 246 shots which averages to be 15 shots per game. Alarmingly, we have only put 101 of those shots on target, which averages out to be 6 shots on target a game.

image.thumb.png.74a30ec76c681bf5eacef3607b675041.png

With this amount of shooting opportunities, I would expect to see us creating clear-cut chances more often, but it doesn't seem to be ticking for some reason or another. 

image.thumb.png.9bb14e0a777c3132a85b6c31f9d6ded8.pngimage.thumb.png.eab0f2293440d8ed19b8a101de64426d.png

We are certainly busy in and around the box when it comes to goals and assists, but is it a case of player quality more than the setup in place?

image.thumb.png.2489a1138d704b22b23d286c2f256fd1.pngimage.thumb.png.4e11c790f490f22796b94d77bc66e158.png

At the other end of the park, we are losing goals from within our box as opposed to the outskirts of it, but tend to struggle to deal with passages of play from deep and on the wide areas, particularly the left-hand side. When reviewing the data over the last 5 matches, there does not appear to be any particular reason for these shortcomings. Which makes me believe it is solely down to tactics.

image.thumb.png.f9ba3b11315059ff10d60a08352fda0f.pngimage.thumb.png.e2e1edbb68a280f7afe385fcb71280b0.png

Our starting left-back is Adrian Pereira, who I was excited to utilise down this flank. I've stuck by him for most of the season so far, but perhaps this is one area I need to review once more. He is deployed as an attacking wing-back on the left with the view to overlap, which is perhaps leaving him completely out of position during a turnover. Now I could justify this if his attacking output was consistently good, but 2 goal contributions in 16 appearances is a bit alarming, even more so with the amount of assists coming from his side.

On the right, Erlend Dahl Reitan has been deployed the most, and whilst his attacking output is far greater than Pereira's, he only has 3 assists to his name this season. Whilst not as many of our opposition's goals originate from this side of the park, too many are still occurring and I ponder if it is down to the overlap instruction. I am still happy enough to allow Reitan to go forward more often than Pereira on the opposite side, it suits his style of play after all, so I will give him the freedom to go forward through an attacking mentality.

Approach - Remove the overlap instruction on both sides. Drop left wing-back mentality to support to try and secure that flank.

A final change to the team is in the midfield three's shape. I started the season off deploying an anchor defensive midfielder with 2 in front of him, but I don't feel that is as necessary.

image.png.e500f0b059850e056b4b01d7597ecafc.png

After factoring in that only one goal has been created from the middle of our half in the last 24 games, I think I can afford to give Børkeeiet a bit more freedom on the park, but still give him those defensive responsibilities through a ball-winning midfielder role. This will allow him to continue to break up play and then shift it into the path of Selnæs or Tagseth/Nypan to influence the front three.

With these tweaks and a very limited budget to spend, I won't be planning on recruiting for the senior team this window. Our policy is very much going to be sell to buy, and I am not in a position where I want to be losing my key players. As things stand, Reitan, Holm, and Broholm all have interested parties, but nothing concrete as of yet.

Under 19s

An area that requires major focus with the senior squad in mind.

image.thumb.png.f58141fc51d844f5145193deda407e4f.png

It does seem a bit alarming that our U19s are fighting relegation whilst the senior side is chasing a top 3 finish, but such is youth football. The side seems to be defensively poor, but I know that we did inherit a youth team that needed a couple of youth intakes to bring it up to the 25-man squad and 2 players per position idea. 

So what is the answer? Well with the U19s chasing safety, which is more than possible, I firmly believe they can stay up. But I was keen to get senior minutes into some of these players' legs. 

image.thumb.png.1f717c5e85c40c9c2fa52bd7baa01f69.pngimage.thumb.png.c553686560e0b4431de2ae73e9582019.pngimage.thumb.png.28b693f96487219f08f935fa9d75a3c2.pngimage.thumb.png.22f5978c23c85c70d37ca4fa8a68076f.png

Volden, Olse, Kojen and Santa Suárez are all touted to be good enough for Rosenborg 2 - who aren't playing any competitive football. I am toying with the idea of letting these four players leave on a loan deal till the end of the season, but it has to be for the right level of football. Volden, Olsen and Santa Suárez are all deemed to be operating at a second-division level, and Kojen is deemed to be a leading player at the same level. If we can get offers in from clubs around this level of football, then it could be worthwhile letting these four go on loan. Otherwise, they will remain at the U19 level to try and fight off relegation for our youth intake in February. 

Never really managed in Norway but I have been quite tempted by the idea, and who knows if I will do it on FM 2025.

Rosenborg has quite legendary reputation here in Finland and it is a common phrase here that some of our local clubs might become the Rosenborg of Finland (which HJK obviously is at the moment). 

Good luck with this. Hope to see some Finnish talent, along with Väänänen and Sadiku, in your plans. Sadiku was really good few years ago with Honka. 

30 minutes ago, El Payaso said:

Never really managed in Norway but I have been quite tempted by the idea, and who knows if I will do it on FM 2025.

Rosenborg has quite legendary reputation here in Finland and it is a common phrase here that some of our local clubs might become the Rosenborg of Finland (which HJK obviously is at the moment). 

Good luck with this. Hope to see some Finnish talent, along with Väänänen and Sadiku, in your plans. Sadiku was really good few years ago with Honka. 

Neither had I, but enjoying the league so far!

Finland will be on the cards in FM25 I think, I need a complete break from bigger leagues and I tend to enjoy my saves a whole lot more going off the beaten track, so to speak. 

Sadiku is going to be featuring a helluva lot more right now. I’m struggling to get a tune out of Sæter, but unsure if it was rushing him back from a long lay-off. Väänänen certainly is an interesting player, just finding it hard to give him more minutes when the midfield are performing to expectations right now! 

2 minutes ago, CameronFM said:

Neither had I, but enjoying the league so far!

Finland will be on the cards in FM25 I think, I need a complete break from bigger leagues and I tend to enjoy my saves a whole lot more going off the beaten track, so to speak. 

Sadiku is going to be featuring a helluva lot more right now. I’m struggling to get a tune out of Sæter, but unsure if it was rushing him back from a long lay-off. Väänänen certainly is an interesting player, just finding it hard to give him more minutes when the midfield are performing to expectations right now! 

Väänänen is a former HJK player, so I'm fine with him rotting on the bench. :D

Are you actively scouting Finland at the moment? No idea about the attributes on FM but at least Topi Keskinen is an interesting player that might make it to the bigger leagues even. He started the season really well in real life but has since faded away a bit as HJK are once again having quite slow start to the season. But definitely a player type that we haven't produced in ages. 

Nice to see also Sami Hyypiä having a coaching job with you. His managerial career is probably over already but nice to see him coaching in the game. Jari Litmanen and Mikael Forssell could be good recruits also if they are in the game. 

I'm trying to work out if it is either the player or the team that is going through a crisis when it comes to the subject of Sæter's form.

We have just entered September in the save, and at the same time, just vacated from European football. A 10-2 aggregate win over Dukagjini Klinë set up a tie with Austria Vienna that was nervy, but we managed to overcome them 6-5 on aggregate. This result booked our place in the final qualifier against Danish side FK Midtjylland, and it was always going to be a tough ask. Despite losing 4-2 in Denmark, we won 2-1 in Trondheim, but it was not to be. The Danes qualified for the Europa Conference League, and we would need to go through qualifying again in a year.

I sat there thinking what could have been, and where perhaps we had gone wrong during the two games. And then my thought stretched to more what-ifs. What if Ole Sæter was actually in form going into the game?

image.thumb.png.a37d83a11b2c141cebdcc7655629f979.png

The striker returned to action on match day 5 for a half-hour cameo as getting minutes into his league was going to be crucial. By match day 6, we upped his minutes and he was in a position to start his first game of the season. With a goal and an assist on his first full start, I had high hopes for the striker, but that soon turned into months of frustration. Granted his role has been changed to an advanced forward from his natural pressing forward, but his returns have been very underwhelming. Since his goal on his first start, he has only notched one further assist.

image.thumb.png.9aa9af053d9c52dcbc07b3162b9a06e0.png

Surprisingly, his average ratings over these games have been consistent. He has never dropped lower than a 6.4 rating, but his performances have tended to be one of being present; not achieving much but he is there to help out in spells. Per our metrics, his xG is sitting at 4.40, meaning he is underperforming by 3.4 and averaging a goal every 811 minutes - a goal every 9.01 matches. For comparison, Agon Sadiku (currently injured) has one goal and an xG of 1.27, averaging a goal every 288 minutes - every 3.2 matches. Noah Jean Holm has 17 goals with an xG of 10.81, averaging a goal every 96.29 minutes. 

And therein is our problem. Holm is leading our scoring charts by some distance, Þorvaldsson is second with 7 goals. Nypan and Broholm are both third with 5. There is a massive shortage of goals, and it is not surprising to see this shortage finally impacting our performances.

image.thumb.png.77bf070c1b8e795be09877d62373ffa5.png

We are 4 goals shy of where we are expected to be after 20 games, and with it now going into the business end of the season, we need Sæter firing. We sit 7 points behind Bodø/Glimt, with no games remaining against them, so we need to ensure that our performances are near perfection every week. 

Sæter Touches

image.png.638e013a22428bc7bcbae9179ff61b2b.pngimage.png.0fc49542f1b8a7db1e6d19364ad9d237.png

From the 12 games I have drawn data from (excluding HamKam as a wing-back), Sæter has touched the ball a total of 335 times. But alarmingly, only 8% of these touches are in the box. These are staggering statistics, and it worries me that he is dropping out of position far too much, in any combination of roles I play him. 

Sæter Shots

image.png.17cd1f714bd4e901c14280dedb28d1af.pngimage.png.9f560c124a025e77eef6b618406972a4.png

However, the worrying metric is coming through his shots. He has amassed 23 shots throughout the games in question, with 20 of them being inside the box - 43% of his shots are hitting the target. From his profile, we know that natural finishing is not Sæter's strongest skill, but I feel that we need a presence inside the box in a more attacking-minded team. Judging by both touches and shots, it seems that Sæter's shots are all first-time shots, and if he cannot naturally finish chances, then we know that this is likely to take a hit.

For the remaining 10 games, I want to experiment with the idea of deploying Sæter as a poacher within the formation. A lot of our chances are being created from within the box and on the outskirts of the box, I am hoping that if we stop Sæter from dropping so deep for the ball, we give ourselves an additional option inside the box for further chances. He may not take said chances, but that is something that will be reviewed in the final stretch of games. 

Posted (edited)

For some reason or another, I thought was fairly decent at understanding the game, formations and opposition. If I knew of a problem or could identify one coming through, I would look to correct it ASAP to avoid an adverse effect on the team's morale and seasonal goals. This is the first save that I have found myself scratching my head trying to work out where it is going wrong.

Rosenborg 2023

This post marks the end of my first season in charge in Trondheim, and it's been, well, eventful to say the least.

image.png.81c072822a77a13da06bbe1ea3b22a69.pngimage.png.1cbed7ee2d0dd878e626901d9c14e6bf.png

Rosenborg xG throughout the season

I think for a team that is looking to be on the front foot and attack, our xG each game is far too low. Only on 8 occasions did we exceed an xG of 2.00, despite creating ample opportunities across the season. Our averages for the season were 1.75 xG, 15.2 shots per game and 6.3 shots on target per game.

Not good enough, and as expected, it would come back to haunt us.

image.thumb.png.d504bf000b9ff41e23e7fbaad75eb84b.pngimage.thumb.png.7c517769cdfb6f5d514d6f7ad5560c46.png

Our form had gone right out the window after going toe-to-toe with Bodø/Glimt over the first 15 games, the second half of the season caused major concern for me going forward. Despite our goals scored being not too dissimilar, we conceded double the goals from the first half of the season and we limped to a 4th placed finish.

image.thumb.png.50b9eee63d1092d2eccddfe88c515a0b.png

European football might not even be coming to Trondheim next season, as Vålerenga have a chance of qualifying through the Norwegian Cup final against Brann - the expectation should be that Brann wins this cup, but anything can happen.

So now what?

Well, we have the whole of December, January and February to begin planning our comeback - March for pre-season. Considering the above, it will be a huge four months for the club.

image.thumb.png.6d986b4d05d677191e6a23f1baf913d5.pngimage.thumb.png.750cfbddf9dca8c125de82995b200c92.png

Neither goalkeeper has covered themselves in glory this season, despite the reasonable average ratings of 6.89 and 6.81 respectively. When it comes to the big stats that matter, they are severely lacking in comparison to the top 20 leagues, but I cannot hone in on these figures without factoring in the defence. After all, if a goalkeeper is playing behind a shaky defence, they tend to be under more pressure.

image.thumb.png.99a8760c5b905ce239f0175566131411.png

The above chart suggests that the goalkeepers are doing their job, there is room for improvement, but to me, it would point in the direction of the outfield players giving up chances. 

Defenders

image.thumb.png.d0a990952b51026d5d835be40c0beea1.png

From a team perspective, we are actually performing better defensively than expected. Now we can see from the second half of the table that this isn't the case. But as a whole, the team is performing well above the league average which is concerning in its own right.

If we are defending better than expected, what drives the goals? 

image.thumb.png.42b2231d6268fd7d0e56def2ba31d92b.pngimage.thumb.png.3c337c80392fd57ea589129c3bfd7626.png

The bulk of the problem is from around 12 yards out where we conceded 13 goals (excluding the 2 penalties). Frustratingly, there is no data available in the Data Hub to show me anything from our box, so I would have to rely on match reports to determine the source of our problems. However, I found the Pressing Intensity graph to be interesting as it suggests our defensive line sits on or around the 40-yard mark.

image.thumb.png.6442c6cce261130b39d064fedaaac55d.png

This would suggest that we sit anything between 5-10 yards off the halfway line, and leave 22 yards of space between the last line of our defence and goalkeeper - are we still getting caught out with the long ball? Well according to the assists against graphic, the through ball is the bulk of assists. Frustratingly, Bodø/Glimt sit closer to halfway in comparison to us but don't face the same problems.

With that in mind, I feel as though we should perhaps drop our defensive line back or introduce a sweeper-keeper into the mix to try and deal with the long balls over the top. Or both! It could be the fine balance between the two.

Attacking Outputs

Now onto the other main problem we have. Attacking outputs. Our run of form towards the end of the season was very inconsistent as I began to tinker much more often than I should have. In the final 10 games alone, I had changed the tactic as little as 3 times; introducing a poacher role, bringing in an inverted winger and finally, ripping the full thing up and bringing in more roles than I should have. Results went as expected with this amount of tinkering, 4 wins and 6 defeats was the record as I was left scratching my head - we lost the xG battle in only 3 games. 

image.thumb.png.5de54558df04fac9a0b681ddad8ee68f.png

In my previous post, I spoke about Sæter not living up to my expectations. I found that he was dropping too deep and not being involved enough in the final third, and with that conclusion, I changed his role to be a poacher. Sit there and don't move. In the 8 games he played as a poacher, he grabbed 6 goals taking his total to 7 for the season with an xG of 9.54. Still underperforming, but a massive turn in fortune.

image.thumb.png.b12a86e1a580ea73f1ed692d93eff403.png

Holm was a massive threat off the left side of the pitch for us and had grabbed roughly 8 goals in 15 league games. In the second half of the season, he ended with 4. I suspect this is down to his head being turned due to interest from European clubs and we wouldn't sell unless a bid came in matching the valuation of £4M - he did still over-perform on his xG of 13.37 in the end. 

image.thumb.png.c070edae752d5d83cd7da02769469c5c.png

It seems that our biggest problem is hitting the target with our shots. Only 41% of our shots from the full season were on target (189 shots on target from 456), which seems to be excessively low. In comparison to the league, it isn't as bad as it seems. We lead the way with the most shots, Bodø is just behind us with 416 shots over the season, and 41% of theirs hitting the target (170), and Brann is third with 369 and a rate of 42% (154). In my opening post, I spoke about players 'creating opportunities to allow their teammates to perfectly do their job'. I have the feeling that our chance creation is not letting my front three do this, and this is leading to low conversion.

Tactics for 2024

Well, the big question - what changes? 

Nothing in terms of shape. The 433 is here to stay as I think we can get the best out of the players in this manner. But we do need to focus on the positional roles, individual instructions where necessary and tactical instructions.

image.thumb.png.753ad5b40d4ccc73b7e61aae71bba908.png

The introduction of a sweeper keeper could be the way forward, but to give myself that bit of extra security, I want Jenssen to cover a bit deeper whilst pushing out wide when we have the ball. In theory, with the half-back in front, we should already be a back 4 if we turn over the ball, and it is leaving the onus on the opposition to beat our press to hit quickly. The half-back is then in place to ensure we have more numbers than the opposition attack should the ball go long - 62% of our games have had a lone striker playing against our defence. I want a combative midfield to win the ball back and move it on quickly, and with the introduction of a winger, I want that half-space covered when we reach the final third. The purpose of the winger is to try and drag the defence out so that our IF, Mez and Poacher have space to operate in.

I've elected to go with standard width in the attacking phase, but change our passing directness from short to standard whilst maintaining the slightly higher tempo and hitting early crosses. We have dropped the notion of counter-pressing and countering but still want to keep pace in the game with quick goalkeeper distribution to the back four. I still expect our attacking front line to press much more often and this is supported by their high-press instruction. We will deploy a standard defensive line in the hope of quashing long balls, but I am keen to move this further up should we resolve this area of concern. 

Football theories and all. We can only put this into practice now, and with a pre-season looming, it's now or never.

Transfers

It doesn't look as though we will have a great deal to spend, so most of our business could be cheap loans or free agents. The policy of sell first buy second will be in place once again but there is stark interest in our players as things stand. Holm was attracting Hoffenheim and Lyon during the summer months; their interest looks to have cooled down for now, but anything could change in the January window.

I have earmarked a couple of targets should we lose anyone. I was extremely interested in Lasse Nordås, but the Tromsø/Rosenborg rivalry is not one to be messed with and he has no interest in joining us. 

image.thumb.png.f20e343f6a18d5f4532045514552bd5a.png

It could well be a quiet window or two in Trondheim.

Edited by CameronFM

2 hours ago, keeper#1 said:

Sounds very similar to my season at Birmingham.  Just not good enough to contend.

It is very frustrating to say the least, particularly seeing a team being so reliable to incompetent in a matter of weeks! At first, I had it down to play 2/3 teams a week with the European qualifiers, but once we were dumped out the players were just trudging along.

Hopefully a bit of freshness in terms of tactics and potential signings could kick them up the backside - they so desperately need it!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Finding the Right Path or Continuing to Miss?

It is now 10 league games into the 2024 season with Rosenborg, and it feels like as good a place as any to review the progress made over the summer.

Transfers In

Signing-SondreSrli.thumb.png.eeb7b8bd53026cb1cea2d7bb5e42232d.png

The main signing over the winter period was Sørli from rivals Bodø/Glimt. Whilst he did not play often enough, just 7 full games, I was particularly impressed with his attacking outputs. With the change in formation introducing a winger, I needed that natural winger for the side and I feel he could fit the bill.

An upfront fee of £1M, with an additional £1M to be paid over January 2025 & 2026, was enough to bring him to Trondheim.

Signing-JeppeKjr.thumb.png.643f7064874dbf8a12aa0ce27608c568.png

With the winger being introduced, I would require some reinforcements in this area. Jeppe Kjær on loan to Fredrikstad from Bodø/Glimt, caught my eye.

Unfortunately, his pizza chart was not accurate enough due to an injury, but the basis of his ability certainly excites me for the future. He has signed a contract and will join the club in January 2025 after fulfilling his loan deal with Fredrikstad. 

£1.5M fee to Bodø/Glimt for his services.

Signing-EgilSelvik.thumb.png.988836e26aa04ab1f15b6129a3498a95.png

Sweeper-keepers did not exist within my current crop of players, and after trying to determine the issue of our goals conceded, we needed someone to play higher and help the defence out.

Egil Selvik stood out to me during January as a potential signing, and whilst I could not find any other options, I elected to make my move early. Haugesund were hardballing the finances behind the deal, but we eventually agreed on a deal that would then see Sandberg go out on loan as their number one.

£1.3M upfront fee to Haugesund, with £750 to be paid over January 2025 & 2026.

Transfers out

image.thumb.png.e35a89f3a573a1ddc807d6dee1fddaa7.png

The big dealings out of the club was the departures of Andersson, Sæter and Frederiksen, with the remainder being youth or fringe players securing first-team football on loan.

Andersson was a tough one to deal with, his profile around the squad was significantly high and any inconvenience would spread amongst others. He demanded a new contract, but after reviewing his performances in the previous season, I felt it was best to hold off on talks. Discontent was rumbling away, and we were keen to accept a £750K bid from Las Palmas for him - at least it doesn't strengthen an opposition.

Another one was Ole Sæter. A horrific season in front of goal for us left me with no choice but to move him on. Norwegian clubs were circling him like vultures, but I did not want this transfer decision to haunt me, so when Slovan Bratislava offered £200K less than our rivals, I was happy to bring him in.

Emil Frederiksen was one that I couldn't see getting minutes. With Broholm being the natural inside forward on the right, his minutes were slashed across the board. No point in keeping a future unhappy player around.

Net Spend - £300,000. Pure profit on those sold.

The big stickler for me this window was not signing a natural goalscorer. Unfortunately, our only target (Lasse Nordås) had no interest in joining Rosenborg due to the rivalry with Tromsø. Despite our best efforts, locating a new number 9 was proving futile. Thankfully, we weren't short in this department with Holm and Sadiku remaining at the club.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rosenborg 2023 - Played 10 / Won 6 / Drew 3 / Lost 1

Rosenborg 2024 - Played 10 / Won 5 / Drew 2 / Lost 3

The worrying sign is that we are worse off from this point last season already by 4 points, but thankfully we are not falling behind the leaders.

image.png.b62d2fd764ac8beef4ece835f27a014f.png

We still have a lot to do to ensure we finish in the top 3 as expected once again, but I am content knowing that we are only a third of the way through the season and have plenty of time to change our fortunes. The big one for me is going to be the summer window post EUROs 2024, as we are certainly going back into the market to improve the squad.

image.thumb.png.8a904fcee322cc6f2174767fc394ba01.png

For once, it is refreshing looking at an xG table and performing as we are expected to perform. The small over-performance from Brann stinks of Lillestrøm from last season, and after falling to a 2-1 defeat to them earlier in the season, the reverse fixture will be massive.

But what about the striker issue?

image.thumb.png.923b534f355b91e8c310b086b6e66693.png

Well, the positive is that we have goals coming from the wings and midfield (Nypan). Our penalty woes from last season look to have been squashed with Henriksen scoring 4 from 4. Sadiku does have four goals to his tally, but only one of those goals was in the league. Holm looks to have picked up from Sæter this season with an underperformance on his xG output - I'm hoping that this is due to sharpness following an injury, but it is concerning already. 

Broholm leads our charts with 6 league goals, and this has him tied with Andy Delort of Bodø/Glimt - a great achievement for the youngster coming in off the right, but it does not bode well for our actual strikers.

image.png.bb4635cc02c8bd373f83c3e40b856453.png

My biggest concern is the impending moving average of our xG - something has to change so that we remain on top and take our chances. A natural number 9 would probably help with these worries, but I need a short-term solution to avoid falling further behind in the European race.

Edited by CameronFM

An International Plot Twist

image.thumb.png.bff6eb4afdeaeb8a1fc570e80015a452.png

I for one, never really planned for this sort of thing when deciding upon this save. The save was primarily a Rosenborg rebuild, but at the same time, there could be a job to do with the national team.

Last qualified for a major tournament in 2000 (FM Norway did qualify for EURO 2024, but finished with a sole point so we won't count this one)

Once 2nd in the world rankings

My saves throughout this FM instalment include Rangers, AC Virtus & San Marino and most recently Servette. None of which are exactly big clubs with star players. This could be my only time at having the luxury of Martin Ødegaard and some chap by the name of Erling Haaland - Manchester City have him classed as Not for Sale, must be a good player or something.

Interesting...

No idea how I’ve missed this. Being an avid fan of Norwegian football (I work there a lot) it’s about time someone sorted Rosenborg out, even tho they are hated by everyone else in Norway bar them 🤣

How is Nypan progressing I was at an alesund vs Rosenborg game the start of last year and he was best player on the pitch. Head and shoulders above the rest and I think he was 15/16 at the time. 

Worrying signs regarding the declining xG, have you tried simply tinkering with the mentality instead of making an overhaul to your system? 

Some shrewd business in the market Sørli is also the stand out for me, always nice to pinch someone from your rivals! 

On 08/06/2024 at 06:07, SixPointer said:

No idea how I’ve missed this. Being an avid fan of Norwegian football (I work there a lot) it’s about time someone sorted Rosenborg out, even tho they are hated by everyone else in Norway bar them 🤣

How is Nypan progressing I was at an alesund vs Rosenborg game the start of last year and he was best player on the pitch. Head and shoulders above the rest and I think he was 15/16 at the time. 

Yeah, when researching about the save, I've never known a country to celebrate another team winning the title so much when their run ended! :lol:

Nypan is progressing along well enough actually, he had a torrid time with injuries in the first season but still brings eyes from Liverpool and Arsenal every odd month - just praying we can keep him for another few seasons!

image.thumb.png.8169d585d1d6fb6fe5026deb2dc188dd.pngimage.thumb.png.f0b9010a9d5f8d45ea3b5a26ed81c37a.png

On 08/06/2024 at 06:33, SteinkelssonFM said:

Worrying signs regarding the declining xG, have you tried simply tinkering with the mentality instead of making an overhaul to your system? 

Some shrewd business in the market Sørli is also the stand out for me, always nice to pinch someone from your rivals! 

I have been tweaking team instructions recently, but the mentality is an interesting point. Perhaps my issue is forcing the attacking philosophy?  Going to look at dropping it down to positive to combat the counter-attack but remain present in the opposition half...

Sørli was the smart deal at the time, perhaps paid a bit more than I wanted to but such is life when dealing with a direct rival!

image.thumb.png.40cf3db911603358b52cf74f5162ec22.png

That dreaded email you get from your DoF. We did manage to get him back on loan for the rest of the year.

The hunt for Nypan 2.0 commences.

Poor business from the board. With interest from half-a-dozen top teams it should be possible to create a bidding war and drive that price way higher. Especially if the player really wants a different club.

Hopefully no more than a speed bump on the road to glory!

35 minutes ago, warlock said:

Poor business from the board. With interest from half-a-dozen top teams it should be possible to create a bidding war and drive that price way higher. Especially if the player really wants a different club.

Hopefully no more than a speed bump on the road to glory!

A couple of bids did come in as a result of Arsenal's interest; Spurs were keen and offered a mere £2.1M upfront with the rest in clauses, Man United then offered £4.2M upfront, £4.5M over 3 years, £1.1M after 10 league appearances for the club and £1.1M for an international appearance. We also have a friendly with them and 30% of profit, and a free loan back.

It's not fantastic, but there's enough compensation to soften the blow. 

End of August 2024

Transfers In:

image.thumb.png.6f861ae774a62cd74680c1c91b2d03c0.png

I spoke about that all-important number 9, and I pushed the boat out there with this deal. Smashing club and league record for a signing, Botheim is back at Rosenborg and I am excited to have him around the team. This could be the missing piece of the jigsaw for the club going forward.

image.thumb.png.65962d4573099d3674bc6d29ee681433.png

Usman Shahid was another player that was appearing in reports and I had to take the gamble on him. Signing from Skeid on a free transfer, he moves into the U19s so we can keep an eye on his development and look to loan him out next season. Some areas for improvement, but he does look good enough to flip for a healthy profit.

Rosenborg 2023 - Played 20 / Won 12 / Drew 5 / Lost 3

Rosenborg 2024 - Played 20 / Won 11 / Drew 4 / Lost 5

image.thumb.png.a80ca7868e9277330eff8b39c4b68a7c.png

Two stalements and defeats in our next 10 games, followed up with 6 wins bring us right back into contention at the top end of the table. I still firmly believe that Bodø/Glimt are about a season ahead of us at this moment in time, but the pieces are falling into place. 

image.png.25d59e26ad9fe23ff7b0281b6b356a95.png

This run of 10 games also falls into the same as last season - 6 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats, We are finding consistency a bit more often now, but there is still room for improvement. For once, we are over-performing our expected outputs, not drastically like Lillestrøm last season, however.

image.thumb.png.7c3c66bb474563b21c119abbb28a98d5.png

We need to ensure that shock performances like the one against Strømgodest do not occur often. Moving away from the shock performances, I was curious to see how our team was performing post-mentality tweaks. 

I elected to drop the mentality down to positive - this keeps our attacking threat but makes the players more mindful of the counterattack. The first game was our 5-2 victory over Haugesund, and whilst goals against us continued, it looks to have balanced out.

image.png.125f8927caa766a712da03600f5ed23d.png

Our expected goals remain on the low side, but as long as we are converting chances, I am significantly happier. Our positive mentality was introduced on matchday 15, and excusing a blip of two games, we have brought our moving average up compared to the opening 14 games.

We average 43% of our shots on target now, up 4% from before the change, which equates to on average 5 shots on target compared to the four from the 14 games before. We are the league's top-scoring team and convert the most (17%), but also one of the worst when it comes to defending - something I will need to keep my eye on.

One step forward, one step back it seems, but it is looking more promising!

UEFA Europa Conference League

Last season, we fell just short of qualifying for the final tournament as FC Midtjylland punished us and emerged victorious 5-4 on aggregate. With the pain of last season still looming, I was keen to take the club to the final tournament:

image.thumb.png.f33cff6a50db9012c6e729bcbb35ad7b.png

Rounds 2 and 3 were during our spell of being indecisive and poor on the ball - some may say we were fortunate over these four games to be on the brink of qualification. But it was a mammoth performance in Serbia that ensured Crevna Zvezda had it all to do in Norway, but they were no match for us. An edgy game where we rode our luck, we did take the all-important chance on 56, before sealing the deal in extra time.

image.png.899a2e2ec70e13fe8ffd651ec16be6e9.png

Some tricky games lie in wait, but I am excited to represent Rosenborg on the European stage!

2 hours ago, CameronFM said:

enough compensation to soften the blow

About right, I think. Losing hot prospects has been the main feature of FM24 for me :lol:

On 21/05/2024 at 08:37, CameronFM said:
Club Culture #1 – Ensure that the squad personality is determined.
Club Culture #2 – Rebuild a 4-3-3 formation and ensure attacking and exciting football; much like Rosenborg during the 90s.
Club Culture #3 – Build a defensively sound 4-5-1 formation for the European games where we are expected to be underdogs
Club Culture #4 – Recruit players between 15 & 17 for first-team development.
Club Culture #5 – Ensure that youth players are given a chance to perform for the first team when they are deserving of it.

As I near the end of season 2024, I figured now was a good time to reflect on the club and the culture I wanted to impose going forward. I have been lucky and blessed that we have younger talents such as Nypan and Broholm who have been ever-present, but I need to start incorporating more and more youth into the team as the games fly by.

image.thumb.png.4db1a5480135ac80746fff06e7d458a7.png

The first task? Opening up the next season's squad planner view and working my way through the options available. There are some areas for concern in terms of numbers and quality, I hope the below will portray my logic and plans.

Goalkeeper - Sweeper Keeper

Since the arrival of Egil Selvik, we have looked a bit more comfortable in this area, but there remains room for improvement. Sander Tangvik, 22, is seemingly happy to be our cup goalkeeper for the time being, but his unfamiliarity with the sweeper-keeper role is leaving me with some cause for concern.

image.thumb.png.dab52478a6afe323cd8a4cfb0e3e09ba.pngimage.thumb.png.ec35d3945cf207768068d4dcf089219b.png

Likewise, Rasmus Sandberg is in a similar position, but I have to be ruthless when organising this squad. With that in mind, Sandberg will be offered out to clubs during the off-season as we look to free up some wages, and the goal is going to be to recruit a young goalkeeper who can come in and learn under the experience of Selvik and Tangvik.

As you will note, and it is rather unfortunate, we will be looking for a young GK to sign. We haven't been able to bring through a youth prospect of our own, although our second youth intake will be in February 2025, just a few short months away. Things could change by this point, but I would like to take charge of the club's fate here and get the scouts out looking. Henrik Jamne and Blessings Mkyombwe both have not developed in the direction I would have hoped and will leave the club following the expiration of their contracts. 

Right Back - Wing-Back

image.thumb.png.86d25babb10a59da46c9d37377e398c1.png

The key this off-season is to keep Erlend Dahl Reitan at the club. He was sought after towards the end of the summer window, but the player himself was not keen on a move away from Trondheim - lucky us! You may notice that there is a new name within the squad, Warren Kamanzi, and we did make a move for him on deadline day, anticipating a battle to keep ahold of EDR.

image.thumb.png.aa5be96aac83e8058422731c49894a87.pngimage.thumb.png.a01dbd43c409e4e00515bc9f8bb50eb3.png

Kamanzi appeared on my radar through my "Former Rosenborg" focus, and I felt that he was a good player to bring in to play second fiddle to EDR. £1.3M upfront, along with an additional million and 15% of a future sale was enough to prize him away from Toulouse, and we strengthened our defensive and attacking options down the right. Leo Cormic has done a solid job when called upon (6.81 average rating from 19 appearances) but his lack of attacking output is what hinders him in this position. His 2 goal contributions are nothing in comparison to EDR's 12, whilst Kamanzi could deem himself unfortunate given his chances created have not been taken. Cormic will be moved on during the off-season, he is complaining about minutes which isn't going to come, and with that in mind, we can afford to have a youngster ready to fill the gap. 

image.thumb.png.ecaf11cff2aa2de7921b300197b968f3.png

As things stand, Jørgen Sønstebø is that youngster from within the club, but his attacking qualities are not up to scratch. In all honesty, I will be hoping for a superior RB in February's intake, otherwise, we may need to look to recruit externally to fill a void here. Regardless, the priority is going to be a player aged 15-17 or 18, depending on market availability.

Central Defenders

image.thumb.png.20bcee507758e1288778e1281e9dd585.png

An area of the park where we are well-covered. We have ample options in terms of a right-footed central defender, and with Børkeeiet showing some solid performances at the heart of the defence, I am happy to call him my number-one CB.

image.thumb.png.82fd17d49139eb6bf69db43b12c8950a.pngimage.thumb.png.285fbcf281936b4f9bd3f8633f77dcdb.png

At the age of 19, Røsten has proven that he can be a key player for the club. With 16 appearances for the season, the youngster did average a 6.91 across the board, looking impressive in Europe. Southampton are tracking the young defender, but I am keen we can bring him more into the fold next season and strive to become a shoo-in for our defence. 

New boy Tobias Guddal was signed from Bryne for £900K and was loaned back out to his former side. Whilst I don't believe he is going to be a Rosenborg starter, he could be a handy player to have around the squad in times of injury crises, but is he going to accept that? We will look at loaning him back out next season, ideally at a lower-end Premier side, but I suspect we will be trying to flip him on and recover some of the £900K we parted with. Not one of my finest signings.

image.thumb.png.5fd327569ef49dc8f7940c0746fb92ab.png

Håkon Singsdal Volden was earmarked early on in my posts and is ready to make the step up to senior football. His season ended early due to a damaged achilles tendon, but I don't believe that will slow down his development during the off-season. With the right game management, we could have a serious player on our hands here - the expectation is that Volden will be present in cup games next season.

Reinforcements are needed on the left-hand side of this defensive line, and that is going to be a major focus during the off-season. Another young player, who is ready to come in and be back up to Jenssen is not going to be cheap, but it is going to be necessary.

Left Back - Full-Back

image.thumb.png.1b8add2abad777df50f8d9c4d31fb0db.png

Self-explanatory here really, Augustinsson has been ever-present since his return from injury, but the options behind him are a bit lacking. Pereira has featured throughout the 2024 season, but with this side of the defence being more secure, it is wasting his talents. With a year left on his deal, it could be a smart decision to move him on now and cash in whilst we can.

image.thumb.png.9efc90015f3643e4f1d4ca1d8b976d2e.pngimage.thumb.png.beb80b63af5042db9874ee5cb37f8e36.png

Moving away from the two main starters, we don't have ample quality to come in and cover should anything drastically happen. Our hopes would then fall onto the shoulders of Elias Hovdhal Sandrød & Erkan Türkmen:

image.thumb.png.f5a1751fff085271bdc3332a47feb25f.pngimage.thumb.png.70589a4423a29fd9c6b46e72d126b8c1.png

Neither of the players looks senior squad-ready, but very little separates both players. With quality lacking, I will be looking to add to this area of the park, particularly should Pereira leave the club.

Defensive Midfielder - Half-Back

image.thumb.png.7dafbe1a8911dbcf53793d9ac670fab0.png

I am content with this area of the park, especially with the signing of Sola Lerheim Olsen from Songdal. Songdal is due two further instalments of £250K in August 2025 & 2026 after receiving £1.3M upfront for the youngster:

image.thumb.png.74774fea85b6485ac903b8058b000c9a.png

At the age of 19, Olsen looks very well-rounded for the DM position and allows us to change his role into one of a playmaker from the defensive third. However, for the short-term, the half-back is to recycle possession quickly, and his passing ability is just perfect for the job.

Santeri Väänänen will be transfer-listed also. A player that I can't quite find the game-time for, nor the role, it makes no sense to pay these wages and have him rotting in the stands. The idea was to let him leave during the summer, but with Olsen returning to Songdal on loan, I wanted to keep the Finnish midfielder around as the worst-case scenario.

Central Midfield - Ball Winner

image.thumb.png.99b3ad79a657d6a0c4c2d7d8cde582c1.png

In another area of the park where we lack, it could be tempting to deploy Olsen one forward, but either way, it will leave one of these two roles a bit short. Recruitments are needed within this area of the park and I am open to either youth or experienced. 

Central Midfielder - Advanced Playmaker

image.thumb.png.e6ab711467f76cdce78eafebcbe60a83.png

Where we lack in one role, we are stacked in another. The hunting for Nypan's replacement has begun, even though we have him back on loan from Manchester United.

Three signings coming into the side in the shape of Grundt (Free), Tangen (£1M) and Lotsberg (£325K), and it will be Lotsberg who goes out on loan next season.

image.thumb.png.b864f91f79ea4ed96b56fb23fcdde425.pngimage.thumb.png.b798ddb114b25a82b7e16990763e3bea.pngimage.thumb.png.2d15a96aded5f136c0d7d5b07394203b.png

I think the trait combinations between Grundt and Tangen are fantastic for the role of Advanced Playmaker or Mezalla, and we should reap the benefits shortly. Lotsberg will be up for consideration along with Isak Jønvik Holmen & Morten Sørensen Schei - and I am still wondering what the staff see in him to class him as a striker instead of a creative midfielder. 

image.thumb.png.26b51d2e45dac012c463d834f69320e8.pngimage.thumb.png.02c7a4e7fed0e269e3ff010fa011b674.png

Right Attacking Midfield - Inside Forward

image.thumb.png.17ea330dd5f6089a4140e35fe371f80d.png

An area where we aren't lacking numbers, but a left-footed player to fit the bill. Broholm is the only player operating on the right who is left-footed, and we need to look at alternatives should injuries occur. Granted, we can then switch our formation around - winger on the right and inside forward on the left - but to do so, we need to have options on both sides.

image.thumb.png.3de16bf5c2f152c276bcbb2a9be48079.png

Usman Shahid is a new face after signing for free from Skeid, and he could be the option in switching the roles around. Intrigued by his skill set, I am hoping he could be a rising star for us in the coming years. 

Left Attacking Midfielder - Winger

image.thumb.png.b25901b8b432474d324b737beabb5bbd.png

The arrival of Jeppe Kjær is going to be massive for squad depth, as Pawel Chrupałła will be leaving the club at the end of the year. The Polish youngster did show flashes when Sørli was injured/rested, but the lack of consistency hampered his chances at a new deal.

Striker - Complete Forward

image.thumb.png.80c2fb28394b5c6a78570c419fea1f9c.png

A role that is normally associated with hugely experienced players, I know that youth talent will be a million miles away from performing consistently in this role. I would look to switch roles to an Advanced Forward when Botheim is due his rest, and we do have options here.

Agon Sadiku is still around at the club after the disastrous first season in charge and has chipped in with his fair share this season. 11 goals and an assist in 25 appearances is good going, especially when he has 3 in 3 in Europe. A player that I can expect to be around the club next season.

Oscar Aga has spent the last two seasons on loan at Fredrikstad in the First Division and bagged 20 goals and 7 assists in 43 league games over the two years. However, Fredrikstad do have an option to buy the Norwegian, but it has yet to be announced what their plans are.

Finally, my bright sparks. Santa Suárez and Holte both spent a season on loan at Skeid (First Division) and Størdals-Bink (Third Division) respectively. Holte was the more prolific of the two (11 goals in 28), but this was at a lower level - Santa Suárez grabbed just 6 goals in 23. Both players will be returning on loan next season, and a close eye will be on them as they fight over a contract.

Oscar Aga was the ultimate poacher for my Odd team a three or four editions ago!

Sore one losing Nypan but a good deal in the end and I suppose a very realistic scenario in the end! 

1 hour ago, SixPointer said:

Oscar Aga was the ultimate poacher for my Odd team a three or four editions ago!

Sore one losing Nypan but a good deal in the end and I suppose a very realistic scenario in the end! 

With Aga looking like he could be returning to the club on a permanent basis, it actually gives me the option to change to 3 strikers and lose the wide men - if we struggle to recruit well enough in those areas! A bit excited to see what he can do. 

Nypan is a sore one indeed, but the finances are good enough - I feel we could have got more from it. I’m hoping with the recruitment of Grundt and Tangen that we will cope when he does ultimately leave - Broholm can also cover in this area which is a bonus!

Good to see Agon Sadiku making at least some kind of a revival. As Väänänen is now leaving the club, I'm hoping that you can find at least one Finn to play an important role in the club. I bet at least HJK has plenty of suitable options for that. 

A very enjoyable story so far and I feel sure it won't be long before you catch and conquer your Norwegian rivals. I always thought Pereira was a decent player, but it's a few years since I watched him now. Hope you keep him even if only as another option. Great squad review - like it!

Edited by Jogo Bonito

6 hours ago, El Payaso said:

Good to see Agon Sadiku making at least some kind of a revival. As Väänänen is now leaving the club, I'm hoping that you can find at least one Finn to play an important role in the club. I bet at least HJK has plenty of suitable options for that. 

Happy with Sadiku’s form during the second season, I don’t think he is going to become a key player for Rosenborg, but if he is happy to remain a squad player over the next few years then I am happy! Väänänen is a funny one, not really sure what his best position is, and when he does come into the side it seems to come into play. I may look into the Finnish market - at the moment I have drafted up quite the shopping list!

2 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

A very enjoyable story so far and I feel sure it won't be long before you catch and conquer your Norwegian rivals. I always thought Pereira was a decent player, but it's a few years since I watched him now. Hope you keep him even if only as another option. Great squad review - like it!

I like Pereira a lot, but more will come out about in the next update - I just don’t think his style of play is going to suit going forward unless I tweak another area or two.

Thanks for the comment on the squad review. I feel it’s important to give a bit of understanding behind my thoughts before going into a window and completely change the squad. 

Posted (edited)

Rosenborg - Season 2

image.thumb.png.745e132389b831743608d687cf7d8151.png

Well, that was surprising! Bodø's form decided to fall off a cliff as we reached the final 10 games, which opened the door of opportunity for ourselves and Molde to swoop in. We did have enough in the tank to get the job over the line, but we should never have been in with a shout in the first instance! 

Some key things to take from this season is being the league's top scorers, but we are lacking defensively. We are the 6th best side in the league for keeping goals out, but Egil Selvik was tied for second for clean sheets - perhaps some work to be done in front of the Norwegian keeper. Injuries are down from last season, which has been massive in keeping continuity throughout the squad as we hit the business end of the season. 

image.png.107d0e02ce6042d9941eefdb22e91efc.png

Our expected goals tally does need to be worked on going into next season, but for a change, I was happy at how clinical we were at taking the lower output chances - since changing to a positive mindset on matchday 16, we averaged an xG of 1.65, it was 1.76 prior. Goals were spread across positions, with 4 players hitting double figures: Broholm 14, Sadiku 11 and Botheim & Henriksen 10. A pleasant change from last season where Holm was our only real source of goals and they eventually dried up also!

I did find it pleasant to see our younger stars mix it with the league's more experienced players:

image.png.72d99712d6caf7c2488a1a9016a7fa19.pngimage.png.18933d8aa54b6e39bf91509b27bbb9e3.png

But it wasn't just our league performance that improved. No, our cup performances also improved (in a sense) as we reached the final of the Norwegian Cup:

image.thumb.png.c0fd32df47811d0562050b955acbc07f.png

I did feel it was disappointing to go the distance with Bryne and Hødd, and perhaps lady luck was on our side in both those games. On the back of a mighty league effort, I felt we had one more push in us as we squared off with Bodø/Glimt - eager to impress following their league collapse:

image.thumb.png.73d47c339bc51987b0808966377c106f.png

The game itself lacked any quality of sort, and it was Filip Piszczek who grabbed the winning goal right at the death. From a Bodø/Glimt goal kick, Amudsen flicked on a header to an unmarked Piszczek on the halfway line - Børkeeiet decided to leave the goalscorer to contest with Amudsen, a header he was never going to win. With desperation in the Rosenborg defensive ranks, they all chased back to no avail as the Pole lifted the ball over Selvik into an empty net. Devastating.

The players are now off for some deserved R&R as I look to work on the squad for the 2025 campaign. Jayden Nelson, Ísak Snær Þorvaldsson, Santeri Väänänen, Rasmus Sandberg, Adrian Pereira & Leo Cornic have all been told they can find new clubs during the winter window - this should bring in a sizeable amount of money to bolster our current transfer budget of £7.57M.

image.thumb.png.24cfbe187f14bc0441d71ac96f0821cb.png

Sjøeng is the only player we are actively chasing right now; I am still reviewing our scouting reports to build the rest of the shortlist up. It appears a deal worth £3.4M over 3 years could be enough to tempt the Vålerenga number one to Trondheim - fingers crossed.

Edited by CameronFM

Great season for you! One question of the data: do you make the charts manually or are you pulling data from FM and implementing it somewhere? I've been for a long time intrigued about putting my excels to looker studio and from there to Canva... 

17 minutes ago, El Payaso said:

Great season for you! One question of the data: do you make the charts manually or are you pulling data from FM and implementing it somewhere? I've been for a long time intrigued about putting my excels to looker studio and from there to Canva... 

For anything Rosenborg based, I’m using FM Stag’s data views and exporting out from FM and then using what I want on Flourish (Looker scares me :lol:). For the graphics used against the league, I used FM’s player stats for the league and manually typed those out!

January 2025

Transfer Dealings - In

I felt that getting some of our work done early was important. Still, I appreciated that scouting was ongoing and it was not always as simple as earmarking the majority of targets before the window opening. However, with a shopping list big enough to scare managers, it was time to get down to business.

Goalkeeper

I touched on Tagvik's unhappiness towards the end of the last season over his game-time, and at the time of writing this update, he remains a Rosenborg player. Rasmus Sandberg has been made available for transfer, but my main concern is Egil Selvik. With interest circling from Saudi, we would only let him go for the right amount and I am valuing that figure to be close to £4M. One of my targets in the last update was Vålerenga goalkeeper Magnus Smelhus Sjøeng, and the big Norwegian is now a Rosenborg player.

image.thumb.png.d24272f57da7cebf327968fff0a63eb0.png

£1M up front, with an additional million to be paid over the next 2 years, along with a £400K fee after the 22-year-old's 50th game for the club and a 15% sell-on was enough to force our rivals to part with their number one. More importantly, MSS is more than happy to come in as the backup to Selvik. I remain in the market for a second goalkeeper, one younger than MSS, to satisfy my want in this department.

Ball-Winning Midfielder

Midfield was an area I touched on, even after signing numerous potential replacements for Nypan. Väänänen has been told he has no future at the club, and this dwindles our numbers to cover the more defensive and combative role in midfield. Our scouts did not have a great deal of reports readily available for me, and any that were available were more attacking-minded and not suitable. I elected to cast the net further afield and into Europe where we stumbled across Kristian Arnstad.

image.thumb.png.203975ff3e2503b6e0bdba4ac57c0893.png

It is clear to see why Anderlecht signed Arnstad from Stæbek at the age of 16, and I feel that he is starting to develop into the combative midfielder I need. £2.5M as the original outlay, with an additional £750K due after his 30th game and a 15% sell-on fee is enough for the Belgians to accept a bid for the midfielder, and I am excited to see him in the famous black and white of Rosenborg.

Anchor / Half-Back

image.thumb.png.7ae2ad0a19e1546617e19c512d72a675.png

The number of experienced players was going to be crucial this season, and I elected to go after Emil Bohinen of Salernitana. The former Stabæk man has clocked 86 appearances in Serie A, and when he was available for £3.1M I felt it would be rude to pass up this opportunity. A great deal to bring in some vital experience. 

Transfer Dealings - Out

It is all well and good signing players, but we need to balance the books and get deadwood out of the club. As a reminder, I was happy to entertain offers for Sandberg, Cornic, Pereira, Väänänen, Þorvaldsson & Nelson.

First up is the youngsters, as Kojen & Santa Suárez leave the club on loan deals.

image.thumb.png.ab09a58ca3dee3b72f895fa4eec13f19.pngimage.thumb.png.0033fc35c125a49295f194c9854e2190.png

Newly promoted Ranheim wanted to take a look at Kojen & Santa Suárez throughout the season. I expect Kojen to get very few minutes with our affiliate. However, I do feel that training with the senior side could be beneficial for him at the age of 19, and this is a deal we will monitor at the halfway stage - it may be beneficial to bring him back and loan him out elsewhere for first-team minutes. 

Santa Suárez joins Ranheim also, but our DoF failed to agree on a playing time for the young striker. We will be monitoring his progress at our affiliate very closely and will pull the plug where necessary.

Tromsø have had multiple bids rejected for Pereira as I refuse to entertain the idea of him starring against us in the short term. He is currently discussing contract terms with Excelsior in Holland - they did have a loan bid accepted where they will pay 80% of his wages, £15.5K monthly and £625K if they avoid relegation this season (£300K over 12 months) along with a heft 20% sell-on, but the player rejected the deal. No hurry to get rid of him, as a replacement has been hard to find, but it is an area I am watching with interest.

Despite my refusal to entertain Pereira starring against us, I did accept a bid for Þorvaldsson from Songdal, who remain in the first division. Their eagerness to pay £1M up-front, £245K after 10 games and an additional £130K after 10 international appearances whilst giving up 20% of the profit on the next sale, was enough for me to accept. The Icelandic forward had been attracting the interest of Hercules CF, and I was hopeful that the side from Alicante decided to bid. However, the Icelandic forward remains on our books after rejecting a deal. 

Nelson & Väänänen sealed English transfer deadline day moves to Sunderland and Hull respectively for £750K each. Both players are ineligible for their new clubs due to not obtaining a work permit. Two players off our books, wages saved and £1.35M into the coffers after paying Toronto £150K as part of the original Nelson deal.

I will need to take stock of the entire squad once again as we enter February. The reason for this is the squad registration rules are becoming difficult to manage; we can only have 25 players on part-time contracts or better, meaning we have a couple of players unregistered who should be playing a part in the squad for the 2025 season. 

All three signings look fantastic. Wouldn't be to surprised to see all of them as national team regulars. It's actually surprising that with his history Bohinen hasn't already made a senior debut. 

Rosenborg - European Campaign 2024/25

After winning the league in 2024, we knew we would play Champions League qualifiers in the summer of 2025. But whilst charging towards a surprise league triumph, I wanted to make a deep run in the Conference League.

Midtjylland disappointedly dumped us out of the tournament at the final qualifying stages in 2023/24, thankfully there was no disappointment involved during the qualifiers.

202425EuropeanCampaign.thumb.png.ff8d67c1537a2102763f125f15bfc27b.png

A wide array of opposition during our Conference League participation, and you will clock that we did indeed reach the QFs of the tournament from the legend.

Our journey began in Tbilisi as we limped over the line with an unconvincing 3-1 aggregate win. We had done enough to win the tie in Trondheim, and then just edged it out in Georgia.

image.thumb.png.d1e8f6daaa6e54d492dc16267c5bdf59.png

Uninspiring, and improvement in performances required, up next was Slovenian opposition in NŠ Mura Murska Sobota and the improvement was sort of there.

image.thumb.png.2eb3193e1c195f2bcfb161fa2de8b848.png

A real Jekyll and Hyde tie, we blew our opposition away at home, but we were very lacklustre on the road and almost gifted the Slovenians a way back into the tie. Regardless, the job was done and we were in the hat for the final qualifying round. Bring on the Serbians.

image.thumb.png.c53ea8f8eb031ba691353743bee6cc44.png

Knowing that we could not afford to have an off day against a side such as Crvena Zvezda, I was delighted that we came away from the Stadion Rajko Mitić and be in the tie still. A massive goal from Polish winger Chrupałła kept this tie alive, and well, our boys did the job on our patch. A cagey affair, but once Broholm levelled the tie there was only one team out to win the game. 

With qualification secured, we had the luxury of looking ahead to some European adventures. We would travel away to RFS (Latvia), Widzew (Poland) and Ludogorets (Bulgaria), whilst hosting Motherwell (Scotland), Astana (Kazakhstan) and Reims (France). A tough selection of games, but I had confidence in our players that we could certainly be in the top half of the league phase.

image.thumb.png.a97d749d591eaabe9fc4f00bec04cf9d.png

An undefeated league campaign was the perfect way to round off our first League Phase appearance of the save, and it came with some big results - 3-2, 4-1 & 1-0 wins over RFS, Motherwell and Astana respectively, whilst we held Widzew (2-2), Reims (1-1) and Ludogorets (0-0). Very respectable in my eyes.

Knowing that we would not take part in the playoff was a bonus; a game of that magnitude during pre-season was always going to be tough to manage. Eventually, the draw was made and it was familiar opposition for us.

It was going to be FC Midtjylland once again, and we were out for revenge.

image.thumb.png.7716c35c1d0da0538f5ef64d83a3f029.png

Fresh off the back of 15-0, 4-0, 3-1 and 3-2 victories during our short pre-season, I felt quite confident that we could take defeat our Danish opposition over two games. When Sadiku bundled home a goal in Denmark, that confidence rose to another level after seeing our home form in Europe, and I was right to be confident.

We completely blew away the Danes in the first half to race to a 4-2 aggregate lead, but we knew that they would come quick out the blocks in the second half; thankfully we had enough in the tank to keep them at arm's distance. Rosenborg were off the the Quarter Finals - it is a shame that the run ended at this stage.

image.thumb.png.48ff356f4ae98e3a86e9c2b6e22aa2d7.png

Coming up against a side like Borussia Monchengladbach was always going to be a tough ask. Despite their struggles in the Bundesliga (15th at the time of the 2nd leg), their European run was to be admired. Perhaps unfortunate to lose the first leg, but we recorded an xG of 1.76 to their 1.62 (inflated due to a missed penalty - 0.83 was prior), and it goes to show the difference between a team in the top 5 leagues compared to those out with it. However, we could hold our heads high as we reached the quarter-finals - only the 6th time this is happened.

A platform to build on within European competition most certainly, and a great bank booster for the short term.
Roll on the Champions League after the summer of 2025.

June 2025

Despite making moves for three players in January, I was not content. I knew we were still lacking in some areas, and I had to make moves given that the window would close in the not-so-distant future.

image.thumb.png.8603975b1573eb4e238e9c1e0198edd9.png

Isak Aalberg was the only arrival into the club following Emil Bohinen, and it was a much-needed signing for the heart of the defence. It took us weeks to find a solid left-footed central defender, but the former Krisitansund man was the answer. Signed in a deal worth £1.8M, I feel this is an absolute steal for a player who will be at the heart of our defence for many years.

With the signing of Aalberg announced, that was all our business into the club completed. But the activity did not stop there as we completed deals that would see Þorvaldsson, Guddal, Sandberg, Cornic, Olsen and Aga all leave the club.

image.thumb.png.506b112b9e78827a0ad265e057fc06b1.png

It meant that in two years we had spent £23.75M and recouped about £15.25M - our net spend is a little bit high for Norway, but given that we won the league in 2024 and now pressing on, it is a justified expenditure. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whilst progress was being made off the pitch, I had to ensure that equal progress was happening on the pitch. With 10 league games completed and out of the way, now is a good time to review the opening months of the league, and where we have been going wrong.

RosenborgxG2025-JunePost.jpeg.f7d00558bc7f43bc1a4ef0afd123c264.jpeg

We still are inconsistent with our chance creation on a game-to-game basis, but I feel that this season has seen a big improvement on the attacking front. Noticeably, our xG output has been lower around the European games against Midtjylland and Borrusia Monchengladbach - I can excuse these off days given how early into the season it occurs. When we perform, we perform, very much like last season.

Stripping the xG and moving on to actuals, it's no surprise to see the table look like this:

image.thumb.png.19618f446c6e9b4a0444458a857906cf.png

At this stage of the campaign, I am not too concerned with the overperformance from Bodø/Glimt. Something has got to give, and I am fully anticipating their goals to drop off in the coming months; their top scorer sits 8th in the rankings with 4 goals, and the leader is Ibrahim Diarra of Haugesund with double that tally. More importantly, Erik Botheim and Sverre Halseth Nypan are 2nd and 3rd with 6 and 5 goals respectively. A terrific start to the season.

image.thumb.png.06e1422b3e114fafaacf6cbe978702d4.png

As you can see from the results, we are a lot more consistent in terms of performance; one bad game doesn't necessarily spiral into 2 or 3 bad games. We are completely capable of bouncing back from disappointment and setting the record straight. I spoke about not being concerned with Bodø/Glimt's league position right now, and that is due to the massive 3-2 win away from home against them. Teams in this division are likely to drop points, and I fully expect them to hit a bump in the road soon.

Håkon Singsdal Volden

image.thumb.png.e6a99bbc9751a308dc503fe43ec065b5.png

The young defender finally made his senior debut for the club in the Second Round of the Norwegian Cup, and was unfortunate not to be given his debut in the First Round - had it not been Molde, we may well have taken a chance on the youngster.

However, in the game against Stjørdals-Blink, the youngster crucially made 3 clearances, won 62% of his 8 aerial challenges, with 2 being key headers, and achieved 95% passing accuracy; joint 2nd in the team. More impressively, he was the most positive player on the park with 10 progressive passes made (annoyingly, the Analytical Data is not showing these 10 but below are his passes throughout the game.) 

image.thumb.png.433ba5640318fc796fd9e82be9f6a47a.png

Granted, the level of opposition was that of semi-professional, but it is still a promising sign for the 18-year-old and I am excited to give him further exposure to the first team. In the third round of the cup, we have been drawn against semi-pro side Ullensaker/Kisa IL and Volden will be in the starting 11 once again. 

You know how much I love reading/hearing about this save! Aalberg looks a good pick up, and good to see Volden get his debut. Not necessarily a massive surprise to see your xG generally drops a bit in Europe, especially playing a side like Gladbach! 

The Hunt for Nypan 2.0

One of the toughest parts in Football Manager is losing that young talent you have been excited to deploy and wreak havoc on the domestic scene. Sverre Halseth Nypan was my talent, and Manchester United ripped him from our grasp.

They were kind enough to give him back on loan for 2025 though.

image.thumb.png.c5b972203830f41cf15a1837b85e7181.png

Advanced Playmaker | 8 games | 2 goals | 1 assist

Inside Forward |  3 games | 3 goals | 2 assists

Regardless, his presence from midfield was going to be sorely missed, and I had to ensure someone was ready to step up in his place. Currently, the AP role is vacant as Nypan is being deployed as our IF on the right due to poor form from Broholm - bitterly disappointing after his tremendous 2024 campaign. Nypan is performing out on the wing, and this gives me the perfect opportunity to find the AP for the future. 

Jesper Grundt

image.thumb.png.a3dcd5668e7b64a42b99716e0d19186a.png

Signed from Kongsvinger on a free transfer, Grundt would be stepping up to the Premier Division and immediately feel the pressure. Grundt has played more than Tangan as it stands and is closer to Nypan's output in this position. In terms of a midfielder, Grundt is nearly identical to Nypan's progressive passes and passes completed, whilst infrequently losing and winning possession of the ball like Nypan. With a single goal and assist to his name in 6 appearances, Grundt has got the upper hand in the battle for the Advanced Playmaker, but it is the slimmest of margins. 

Chances Created as an AP - 2

Harald Tangen

image.thumb.png.79ef137d4e8e1220ac5ad59b3f6dda34.png

Deemed unfortunate with an injury right at the start of the season, Tangen has had his minutes managed to ensure we extract the absolute best from him. However, from what we have seen, it is a positive beginning. Tangen probably has the benefit of being suited to the division compared to Grundt, which could edge him to be the starter as the season progresses. But from the 5 appearances, we can see that he is slightly more creative than his counterpart.

Chances Created as an AP - 7

Whilst both players are not on the same wavelength as Nypan in terms of ability and potential, their performances so far have been interesting to see and it is giving a Sverre headache as to who is going to be the natural replacement.

16 minutes ago, adam_otbfm said:

You know how much I love reading/hearing about this save! Aalberg looks a good pick up, and good to see Volden get his debut. Not necessarily a massive surprise to see your xG generally drops a bit in Europe, especially playing a side like Gladbach! 

Aalberg is a surprising one in the sense that our scouts rarely reported on him! I had to revert to a traditional player search and filter for the left-footers, but the eventual scout reports did come back as promising!

We are capable enough to go toe-to-toe with teams in Europe, but my biggest pet peeve right now is my reluctance to move to the 4-5-1 whilst the 4-3-3 is working well. Need to give this aspect a bit more thought!

6 minutes ago, keeper#1 said:

Nypan went to Liverpool in my Swansea save.  Someday, I'll have the resources at Swansea to poach that type of talent.

Especially for the price! The board accepted the bids right away as they deemed they were too good for the club to refuse; I'd disagree but what can you do?!

13th September 2025

Two-thirds of the way through the domestic campaign, and it is starting to get tasty in Norway.

image.thumb.png.befb033bfdd7aa171a4fc36e3a1dced7.png

Much like last season, we have a title race on our hands here, and Bodø/Glimt have benefitted in the same way as we did last year. 4 draws - Haugesund x2, Brann & Strømgodset - have given Bodø/Glimt the advantage, but I still believe. Double wins over them and Molde gives me the confidence that we can retain the title, but we will need a favour along the way and taking care of business ourselves.

Rosenborg-SeptemberUpdate.jpeg.f6b82c669efd7549d666236485686de3.jpeg

Our attacking returns remain consistent, and given that there are spikes, I can be happy with the attacking talent on the park. We are over-performing our xG by 6 goals (42xG V 48 GF), which has then led to a +7 on our xP, but despite being confident that Bodø/Glimt wouldn't sustain their going rate; they are! An xG of 35 has been converted into a total of 55 GF, which has led to their over-performance of 9 points.

Something has got to give surely?!

image.thumb.png.36c19f67c590ea370bbe7a8f902e9a9b.png

Our cup run has been on point to this stage also; granted we have had relatively easier ties. However, you can only beat what is put in front of you, and lesser sides are no walkovers in cup games. Despite only being at the semi-final stage, I firmly believe that we should not be losing out on the cup this season, especially when you factor in that Molde and Bodø/Glimt both exited the competition at round 1.

Lyn and Lillestrøm are the other semi-finalists, and we have beaten the latter 2-1 earlier in the season.

Cup glory should be ours this year.

image.thumb.png.95e262ccc9973e9c2629f21dad380dc8.png

Our first Champions League qualifiers participation since 2019/20 couldn't have gone any smoother. Favourable draws against Inter Turku and Derry City lined up a mammoth tie against Young Boys, but we had enough in the tank to get the job done over 180 minutes - albeit very narrowly! Rosenborg would be heading to the League Phase stage, and it is the first time we have qualified since 2007/08. Remarkable.

Our reward for an impressive feat?

image.thumb.png.a72d1f0649fa832fe67960736e4a5702.png

The draw gods were not kind to us as we had to face off against both Manchester and Milan sides. Could we replicate that famous night in December 1996 with a win in the San Siro? Times have massively changed, but time will tell.