Euros Memories

My earliest memory is Portugal - Turkey in 1996.

But the key moment in that year was obviously the Poborsky lob in the quarter-final.

2000 was the coolest tournament, and the one where Portugal played their best football by far.

Posted (edited)

1992 - should be able to remember this as I remember Italia 90 but perhaps because England were dire

1996 - my dad had tickets to the England v Switzerland game and the final none of which were memorable! I mainly remember Scotland and the semi final games.

2000 - can remember watching the Germany game but not much else

2004 - I was travelling around Australia and in Brisbane at the time. Remembering watching the France defeat in some city centre hostel then the other England games in the middle of the night. Mainly I recall the Greece win being celebrated by Brisbane's Greek community into the night.

2008 - didn't watch any as no England 

2012 - had a broken ankle due to an attempted mugging a couple of weeks before so watched a lot of the games - until England limped out (ahem) in the quarters

2016 - England were not great of course and I mainly recall Wales good run. I also went to France and watched Turkey v Czech Republic (after Germany v NI in the Lens fan zone) and Iceland v Austria over a couple of days which was good fun.

Also this ad

2020(1) obviously this was a great one with the big memory being the Colombia shootout and our comfortable win in the quarters (and less so in the semis)

Edited by Crispypaul

30 minutes ago, Crispypaul said:

2020(1) obviously this was a great one with the big memory being the Colombia shootout and our comfortable win in the quarters (and less so in the semis)

Ah, yes, I remember that Colombia shoot-out at the Euros as well. :p

Their qualifying record was excellent so I had a pre-tournament couple of pounds on Greece at 40/1 that year, it was no fluke.  I also had a fiver on Baros to be top scorer, Jan Koller created a lot of space and opportunities for him.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at Euro2000 and I think that's an under the radar classic balls up from England. 

Looking back at that side and it should have done better, maybe even quite a bit better. We just didn't have a natural left back and after McManaman got injured in opening game we then didn't have a left winger (we played Dennis Wise). In hindsight Keegan wasn't great either, and we were a rigid 442 and looking at the teams that did well that year formations were moving away from that  

Seaman, GNev- Adams-Campbell-PNev, Becks-Scholes-Ince-Macca, Owen-Shearer

Becks, Nevs & Scholes weren't long off winning a treble. Macmanan was doing great in Madrid. Shearer was still hitting 30 goals a season. Owen was coming off a hit and miss season but was still one of the hottest youngsters in world football and would win Ballon d'or next year. Seaman/Adams/Campbell on paper is an all time great PL trio, though I feel like at the time Adams (and Ince) was on the decline and no way near their peak so nostalgia can make that seem stronger then it was at the time.

6 hours ago, skybluedave said:

In hindsight Keegan wasn't great either

I'm not sure it even needs hindsight. He only got the job because Man U fans sang his name ironically and the FA, who wanted a popular choice after the Hoddle affair, didn't understand the sarcasm.

not great memories for the English folk here but one of those games that just has an incredible ending to it.  Can't do much when Zizou is over the ball though, that freekick is perfectly placed

if I remember correctly, England missed a pen at 1-0 as well?

49 minutes ago, TM said:

if I remember correctly, England missed a pen at 1-0 as well?

Yeah, Rooney got hacked down when he was tearing forward.

But Beckham was on a terrible run for pens.  iirc I think he missed three big ones in a row.  Away in Turkey in the final Euro 2004 qualifier, although fortunately it finished 0-0 which was enough for us to win the group still.  Then in the France game at the Euros.  And later he missed the first shootout kick against Portugal in the QF.