Turning Possession into chances

I've found that keeping possession in this game can be done fairly easily, however I cannot seem to be able to turn this into chances.

For example, I have just finished a game where I had 61% of possession yet my only shots were 3 long range shots that were off target. I lost the game 2-0 thanks to them scoring a corner and a stoppage time 35 yard strike into the top corner (the player had long shots 8 as you probably guessed).

I have tried to create more chances over 2 seasons now with Farsley Celtic in the Blue Square North by trying different variations of width, passing, tempo etc. but with no success.

So basically, what do people find is the secret behind creating chances?

I've had single games like that, but not long stretches of games. My worst was a 65% possession game that yielded 3 shots, none on goal. Apparently my team felt like playing keep away for most of the game. I can't remember any games where my possesion dominance yields a ton of shots/clear cut chances. Occasionally I'll have huge scoring game, but mostly because I finish all of my chances and hit a couple of bombs from long range.

Archived