Reserves & U18 teams

Quick question.

I don't usually pay much attention to my reserve & U18 squads. I usually let the managers of their respective teams pick the teams etc.

However I keep noticing he is playing players out of position. Granted that I don't have many players in my reserves. Certainly not enough to field one full strength side with a player in each position. I have been contemplating purchasing players specifically so that there is a full squad available. I'd rather not waste money on doing so if there is a way to FORCE the manager to play the players he has at his disposal in their correct positions. I don't want my LW playing at RB simply to field him when he can be fielded in his natural position.

Is there an option anywhere where I can pick the team, but he manages the matches and training? Or is there a work around other than purchasing players for each position just to fill the team out and get my players playing their natural positions.

Thanks

First question is do you have other RBs or LBs?

Is training done by you or the Assistant? 

Do you have things like "set to first team formation" on?

3 minutes ago, Just-Wool said:

First question is do you have other RBs or LBs?

Is training done by you or the Assistant? 

Do you have things like "set to first team formation" on?

I have one youth LB and Zero RB

Training is set to me as well as individual training.

I am assuming the answer to the last point is Yes as they play the same formation as first team does.

It's just that he keeps picking players in positions they aren't natural at and I don't want them learning new positions. I want plain players e.g LB, RB, RW, LW... DC are different, they can be played LB or RB as My system/s play with an inverted fullback or inverted wingback so if they eventually become DRC and DLC, Same with MC/DM or MC/AM.. I don't need a LW also learning to play RB or DM.

Without a full team the Ass Manager can be a little weird with team selection. Only real ways around it are loaning them out with the position and role locked in so you can recall them or have it set so it always asks if first team players are available for the reserves, then I think you can change the starting line up from that email manually. Or at least you used to be able to. 

I noticed this happening with my reserves. The way around it is when you've been asked what players are available for the reserves, / U18's match go into the respective squad and select the team in the positions you want. If you don't have a full team but have e.g. two left backs, play the left back you want in position. The other will fill in one of the empty spots.

The reserve matches can be a useful tool for many of reasons: out of form 1st teamers, players coming back from injury, players needing some match fitness, useful youth players, players on trial etc.

Posted (edited)

They will play players out of position and play the same 11 all season, barring injuries, unless you do it manually. It's really poorly implemented.

Edited by StewG

12 minutes ago, StewG said:

They will play players out of position and play the same 11 all season, barring injuries, unless you do it manually. It's really poorly implemented.

Absolutely. The only reason for having reserve / U18 managers, is that you don't have to watch all of the games. 

Pick the teams yourself & watch them - or highlights, when you like