(FM24) Resurrecting de Godenzonen

Posted (edited)

Introduction

slide1.jpg?w=1024

Introduction

So, FM fans...I have decided to head out of the English leagues for the 1st time on FM24 and landed in the Dutch capital...I did a one season DoF save called 'The Overmars Series' with Amsterdamsche Football Club Ajax back in the days of FM20. I have always had a soft spot for this awesome Dutch club as my first memory of the Champions League was watching that Golden Generation of Blind, Overmars, Kanu, Kluivert, Davids and the De Boer brothers win the '95 final against AC Milan. What a team and also you have to say the Milan side was too with the likes of Maldini, Baresi and Donadoni.

image-31.png?w=700

In real life during the season of 2023/24, de Godenzonen had cashed in on players like Kudus, Timber, and Edson Alvarez, whilst captain Tadic and Dutch international Klaassen also departed Amsterdam club. So what's left is talented youth with bags of potential and some strong veteran's in Henderson (on loan from Al-Ettifaq FC) and the Steven's of Berghuis and Bergwijn.

image-35.png?w=1024

At the start of this series the board want a title challenge in the 1st season, so no pressure then...Also, the board want me to reach the knockout stages of the Europa League. The club have a healthy £30m, but it isn't backed up with a lot of flex in the wage budget. So I will have to do some adjustment the kitty between £20m - £25m to give me some room in the wages.

image-33.png?w=1024

At first look at the squad, I might have to bring in a couple of new additions either that's experience or youth to help the team out in the short term. Especially with some of the injures the Dutch side have at the start of the season. 1st team GK's Rulli out for 5-7 months due to a dislocated shoulder and Pasveer out for 2-3 months due to a broken foot. The longest player out is CB Kaplan out for 11 months with a torn knee ligament, so would need coverage but really it's a GK as I don't know the other GKs in the squad. I will have to go into the transfer market.

image-32.png?w=1024

Staff wise, I start the series off with no backroom staff, I think that was due to licensing issue. However, I do like to bring in my own staff. This included the likes of club legend's Dennis Bergkamp (Assistant Manager) and Jari Litmanen (B Team Manager). I also brought in former Ajax defender and Dutch international Jaap Stam (1st Team Coach) along with another former international player this time a Brazilian called Dida (1st GK Team) who was capped 91 times for his country and played for AC Milan. My DoF, is an Englishman who has previously worked as a Chief Scout for Southampton, Tottenham and RB Leipzig before a three year stint at AS Monaco as their DoF before being released in the summer. His name is Paul Mitchell.

Tactic

Tactically, I have gone for an asymmetric style formation instead of a 3-4-3 (Cruyff) or 3-1-2-1-3 (Van Gaal) style's as I didn't want to restrict this series to them sort of formations. However, I may try them in the future...

image-34.png?w=1024

History

Amsterdamsche Football Club Ajax are the most successful clubs in Dutch football. In their history, they have a total of 75 competition wins including four Champions League titles. Can I get them a fifth Champions League title and continue to make them the strongest side in Dutch football.

image-36.png?w=1024

Final Words

All updates on this series will be posted on here, also on the Sports Interactive Community page & in the FM Library Discord channel

In the meantime, please feel free to leave a comment with any feedback, questions and don’t forget to subscribe and hit the like button. All previous FM blogs can be found here and you can follow me over on X here

Edited by Coxie84
Update

(FM24) Resurrecting de Godenzonen: Preseason July '23

Welcome back to the latest episode of the FM24 blog series called ‘Resurrecting de Godenzonen’. If you missed the last episode, please catch up here...

Preseason July '23

Off The Pitch News

So having looked at the 1st team again in depth. I noticed that we were quite light in the defensive positions and with CB Kaplan out for up to 11 months, I had to bring in someone to cover him. So, with the first preseason game fast approaching, I decided to see what the DoF would recommend in the CB position. Welcome Danish CB Simon Kjær for £2M from Serie A Champions in 2022, AC Milan. He comes in as one of the best CB at the club, despite being 34 years old.

image-3.png?w=1024

Preseason Game 1 / Racing Club Genk

It was the 1st of two games against Belgium opponents during this preseason. de Godenzonen were held to a 2-2 draw against Genk. It took until the 12th minute to see anything decent and boy did it and it wasn't what I wanted either. Our Croatian CB Josip Šutalo flew in two footed and was instantly shown a red card for that tackle. They went on to score two goals before Steven Bergwijn pulled one back before the break. It was Chuba Akpom who scored with 6 minutes to go to seal the match.

ajax-v-genk_-review.png?w=1024

Off The Pitch News

So shortly after the Genk game, I decided to splash the cash and bring in another defender. An Argentinian defender who can play right/left back from Lanús for £5M, 22 year old Braian Aguirre. He's another one from the DoF recommendation page to be honest and I have never heard of him.

image-4.png?w=1024

Preseason Game 2 / Royal Antwerp

The second preseason game against Belgium opponents ended in a 1-1 draw this time. Again, they took the lead before Dutch winger Gabriel Misehouy came off the bench late on in the match to level the tie. So, the first two games ending in draws, however was going with this tactic the right one or should I have gone the Ajax way?

ajax-v-antwerp_-review.png?w=1024

Preseason Game 3 / Slavia Prague

The next two games were against Czech sides and we definitely FM'd the first of the two with shots on target, lol. Our Dutch forward Brian Brobbey found his scoring boots and grab a brace whilst new signing Simon Kjær scored with a bullet header to give us our first win in preseason by three goals to nil.

ajax-v-slavia-prague_-review.png?w=1024

Off The Pitch News

Our first departure of this series was Gabriel Misehouy, who was in his final year at Ajax and he didn't want to sign a new deal as I tried a couple of times but wasn't having any of it. So, when Man City decided to come in for him for £2.1M, I thought why not try and see how much add-ons I could get it too. Well, hopefully it could rise to £6.5M...

image-5.png?w=1024

Preseason Game 4 / Sparta Prague

The final game of preseason, I decided to swap and few players round in decent positions just so I know if and when I need to call on them, I know they could do a job. Well, Branco van den Boomen first game in the centre of the park saw him score a brace to give us a 2-1 victory of the Czech side.

ajax-v-sparta-prague_-review.png?w=1024

11 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Great for positional play, but my OCD doesn’t allow me 🤣

I totally get you pal... lucky for my my OCD allows me just for FM 

(FM24) Resurrecting de Godenzonen: August '23

Welcome back to the latest episode of the FM24 blog series called ‘Resurrecting de Godenzonen’. If you missed the last episode, please catch up here

August '23

Off The Pitch

Just a little recap on the board expectations before heading into this month fixtures and transfer news. So, the board want me to win the Eredivisie in my first season so no pressure then. Also, reach the knockout rounds of the UEFA Europa League Playoff rounds.

image-8.png?w=1024

Transfer News

I toyed with this signing and did actual delay it by a week as I was unsure to part with the £6M loan fee. However, I thought why not just take the hit and what would be the worst that could happen. Welcome to the 18 year old Irish forward Evan Ferguson from Brighton on a season long loan. I expect Evan to challenge Akpom and Bobbery for a starting position up front.

image-9.png?w=1024

However, it was the last of my signing as the coming days I decided to splash some of the remaining transfer budget and brought in three more players.

• Emil Breivik - Signed from Molde for £3.5M (£4.2M).
  • Martin Vitik - Signed from Sparta Prague for £6M. He was recommended to me by someone of the FM Library discord channel.
  • Sebastian Nanasi - Signed from Malmo FF for £2.5M.

• emil-breivik_-profile.png?w=1024

• martin-vitik_-profile.png?w=1024

• sebastian-nanasi_-profile.png?w=1024

Eredivisie / Matchday 1 / (H) v Heracles

What an opening day...My first game in charge saw us win 7-0, with new signing Sebastian Nanasi playing in the Shadow Striker role scoring a hat-trick on his debut. He also picked up a deserved PoTM award too. Can we play you every week for fans chanted.

ajax-v-heracles_-review.png?w=1024

Eredivisie / Matchday 2 / (A) v Excelsior

Our first away game of the season wasn't as easy as our first game. New signing Emil Breivik got his first goal of the season before on loanee Evan Ferguson sealed the three points with the last touch of the game in the 97th minute to win 3-2. But it wasn't all plain sailing as they did peg us back to 2-2 after Chuba Akpom has given us a two goal lead. But a win is a win and that's all that matters.

excelsior-v-ajax_-review.png?w=1024

Europa League Playoffs / Aberdeen

In the 1st leg, Steven Bergwijn was named PoTM after his fine performance by assisting three times in the 4-0 win over the Scottish side. Three of the goalscorers were new signings Nanasi, Breivik and Ferguson which I am buzzing about and nice to see when that sort of things happen. The other goalscorer was Steven Berghuis. The 2nd leg finished 1-1 meaning we went through 5-1 on aggregate. Brian Brobbey with our only goal of the game in a much changed side from the 1st leg.

coxie-fm_-inbox-17.pngcoxie-fm_-inbox-19.png

Off The Pitch

So that win meant we went into the draw and this is our group...I really think we have a good chance of topping this group and heading into the latter stages of this competition.

image-10.png?w=1024

Transfer News

I wasn't done in the transfer market and on deadline day, I decided to bring in a GK. Welcome Rui Patricio from Italian giants Roma for a steal in my eyes for £2.5M. With his experience, he will slot in as No1 whilst Rulli is out.

image-11.png?w=1024

Table

Early days but you can see that current champions Feyenoord are going to be the team to beat.

image-12.png?w=1024

7-0 nice way to start things off. Hatrick from Nanasi making it even better. Him Vitik, and brevik all look like realistic Ajax transfers.

hows the team shape looking in and out of possession? You getting positional play patterns you want. 

(FM24) Resurrecting de Godenzonen: September '23

Welcome back to the latest episode of the FM24 blog series called ‘Resurrecting de Godenzonen’. If you missed the last episode, please catch up here

Kits...

These beauties were made for me by wightyyyy over on the FM Library Discord channel.

Kappa returns to Amsterdam, Home is a simple retro inspired number with the Kappa taping down the sleeves, Away brings back the pattern from the 89/90 Umbro away kit just recoloured in a stylish modern number. Third kit is a blackout version of the Van Gogh Starry Night Painting with metallic silver accents.

image-17.png?w=1024

September '23

Eredivisie / Matchday 3 / (A) v Fortuna Sittard

Have I stumbled across another CoxieFM hidden gem in Emil Breivik as this lad scored a brace in the 4-2 victory at the Fortuna Sittard Stadion. If anyone else has signed Emil then please let me know because I highly recommend him already and we are only months into this series.

fortuna-sittard-v-ajax_-review.png?w=102

Eredivisie / Matchday 4 / (A) v FC Twente

I thought this game would have been our first test against a former Eredivisie winners but obviously not. Yet again, Emil Breivik scored brace again in the 4-0 win. The other highlight was Steven Berghuis coolly chipped in penalty, delightful to see. That's four straight wins in a row but remain in 2nd place in the table.

fc-twente-v-ajax_-review.png?w=1024

Europa League Group F / Matchday 1 / (A) v HJK

We took a break from league action as we entered the group stage of this season's Europa League fixture against Finnish side HJK. I actually thought this was going to be the easiest matches of the group. Oh was I bloody wrong as I underestimated them and but out a rotated squad and nearly paid the price. A close range header by Steven Berghuis rescued a point.

hjk-v-ajax_-review.png?w=1024

Eredivisie / Matchday 5 / (H) v Feyenoord

We played our first home game in a while following three away games in a row in all competition as we welcomed top of the league Feyenoord to the Johan Cruyff Arena. Both teams could not be separated in this epic battle for top spot and ended in 3-3 draw which I'd take. They were they strongest team so far in the league and happy with the point. On loanee Evan Ferguson scored a brace with Steven Bergwijn getting our other goal.

ajax-v-feyenoord_-review.png?w=1024

Eredivisie / Matchday 6 / (H) v FC Volendam

Two goals from Evan Ferguson sends us top of the league on goal difference as we beat FC Volendam 4-0. Also, in his first league start of the season Carlos Borges scored two goals and claimed the PoTM award. Unbeaten in six league games now...

ajax-v-fc-volendam_-review.png?w=1024

Eredivisie / Matchday 7 / (H) v RKC Waalwijk

Honestly, I am going to have to do some research on this lad to see if he's good for anyone else. But, yet again Emil Breivik finds the net in the 4-1 victory over RKC Waalwijk not once, not twice but a hat-trick with his third coming from the spot. Also, one of my other new signings WB Braian Aguirre scored the 4th goal of this game.

rkc-waalwijk-v-ajax_-review.png?w=1024

Table

Only top of the league after seven games on goal difference. I see PSV are in 4th and seven points before the top two...

image-15.png?w=1024

Goodluck with this. Did an Ajax save the season they reached the CL semis, really enjoyed it. Domestically it became too easy, but my aim was to restore Ajax to European glory. I'm actually doing the same save now, keep up the good results.

On 06/06/2024 at 07:21, SixPointer said:

7-0 nice way to start things off. Hatrick from Nanasi making it even better. Him Vitik, and brevik all look like realistic Ajax transfers.

hows the team shape looking in and out of possession? You getting positional play patterns you want. 

I was very surprised at the 1st match. Nanasi is class but watch out for Breivik....

1 hour ago, AlfieLucas said:

Goodluck with this. Did an Ajax save the season they reached the CL semis, really enjoyed it. Domestically it became too easy, but my aim was to restore Ajax to European glory. I'm actually doing the same save now, keep up the good results.

How many seasons are you in?

(FM24) Resurrecting de Godenzonen: October ’23

Welcome back to the latest episode of the FM24 blog series called ‘Resurrecting de Godenzonen’. If you missed the last episode, please catch up here…

October ’23

Europa League Group F / Matchday 2 / (H) v FC København

The second game of the group stage saw us beat Danish side FC København by three goals to one. On loanee wonderkid, FM words not mind but I know he will be in the future scored with a bullet header before Nanasi and Taylor made it three nil before the break. Another FM wonderkid for the Danish side scored a thunderous outside of the break consolation goal.

ajax-v-fc-kobenhavn_-review.png?w=1024

Eredivisie / Matchday 8 / (H) v A

REPORT THIS ADPRIVACY

In the Noord-Hollandse derby if I have that correct, we continued our unbeaten start in the league with a 2-0 win over AZ. Berghuis penalty and Brobbey goals were enough to seal the win as we moved into 1st place again in the league.

ajax-v-az_-review.png?w=1024

Eredivisie / Matchday 9 / (A) v FC Utrecht

Well, that wasn’t in the script as that we were FM’d away at FC Utrecht losing to them 1-0. They scored early on and we could not hit a barn door. We had 21 shots and only 5 on target as we lost our first league game of the season in matchday 9.

fc-utrecht-v-ajax_-review.png?w=1024

Eredivisie / Matchday 10 / (A) v PSV Eindhoven

However, three goals by Brian Brobbey ensured that we moved back to the top of the league again in a 3-0 win over PSV. In an even-ish match, but goals win games and it was a great response following the previous league defeat.

psv-eindhoven-v-ajax_-review.png?w=1024

Europa League Group F / Matchday 3 / (A) v Freiburg

We remain unbeaten in the group stage as we drew against German side Freiburg in a match that should have had more goals in but the GK’s were on top form in both nets. Steven Berghuis scored our goal before in got cancelled out 9 minutes later. Neither side could find that winning goal to take all three points so a point each.

freiburg-v-ajax_-review.png?w=1024

Eredivisie Table

REPORT THIS ADPRIVACY
Only on top by goal difference. It actually by seven goals so that 7-0 win on opening day is the difference between us and Feyenoord who I think are going to chase us for this title all season.
image-20.png?w=1024

Final Words

All updates on this series will be posted on here, also on the Sports Interactive Community page & in the FM Library Discord channel

In the meantime, please feel free to leave a comment with any feedback, questions and don’t forget to subscribe and hit the like button. All previous FM blogs can be found here and you can follow me over on X here