It feels to me like the logic of players in FM 24 has somehow got worse than previous versions of the game. I know this isn't a new thing as such and I can't imagine it's easy to get this 100% right but some of it is just baffling.

Two Examples.

Firstly, I am currently managing Rangers, 4th season in and have been playing a 4-3-3. My DM has been signed in the summer, he's been that good that I haven't been able to get the player who played in that position previously back into the team. He comes to see me about a lack of game time, more than fair enough but after me saying that the other player is just playing to well at the moment, he offers the idea that they could maybe co-exist. It's a fair point so I agree to give him more game time, but then he claims he doesn't believe I will and says he wants to leave. What was the point in the first bit if you're just going to ask to leave anyway? You might as well just ask for a transfer in the first place. I don't find any of it that realistic.

Second example. I had to leave out my Australian 2nd choice right back of the Champions League squad. I'm sure most people will know that tricky feeling of having a player or two left over and someone having to miss out due to the rules. I did say I'd put him back in at the next opportunity (January) but when that opportunity came round, he was away with Australia in the Asia Cup. I wasn't going to just waste a space for a crucial game on a player who literally wasn't even in the same continent. I know I could have put him back in and saved the bother but surely that is just broken logic? Surely there is something where the player realises the situation? It's not like he's forsaken going to the Asia Cup to stay and play in the Champions League, is it?

I appreciate that sometimes your own choices can come back to bite you, but I do feel there is a step missing in both these examples.

Have you had issues before with broken promises?- that could explain the first issue.  The second one is more straightforward and, despite him being away, will count as a broken promise .  The squad registration at the end of January is the last one so he will not be available if you get any further in the competition and he will be unhappy. 

7 hours ago, FrazT said:

Have you had issues before with broken promises?- that could explain the first issue.  The second one is more straightforward and, despite him being away, will count as a broken promise .  The squad registration at the end of January is the last one so he will not be available if you get any further in the competition and he will be unhappy. 

I understand that, mate. My point is more that the broken promise system doesn't really work. It's not taking into account an important factor in the decision making process. There needs to be some kind of conversation option where that point can be put across because it's just not realistic otherwise.

With the first point, yeah, I see what you're saying. But again, it's the putting across the first viewpoint only to then ask to leave anyway, why offer the idea he could play alongside his teammate if he's going to leave anyway? I don't think that would happen in real life. You'd just ask to leave at the first opportunity.

You broke a promise to player two. Lesson: don’t make promises. And if you do, keep them.

My guess is you’ve broken promises before and that’s why player one doesn’t trust you. Lesson: don’t make promises. And if you do, keep them.

4 hours ago, NineCloudNine said:

You broke a promise to player two. Lesson: don’t make promises. And if you do, keep them.

My guess is you’ve broken promises before and that’s why player one doesn’t trust you. Lesson: don’t make promises. And if you do, keep them.

There's more to it than that though, as explained in the opening post.

The whole promises and interaction system needs an overhaul because it's like whoever has written the code/script have never had a conversation with another human being before.

Circumstances change, that is what needs to be represented more within FM.