Inside Forwards / Inverted Wingers WITHOUT Gegenpress

I'm aware that many - including myself, have found what appears to be close to a 'cheat' in playing Gegenpress. However, I would really like to return to playing with inverted wingers. I would really appreciate peoples findings in playing with inside forwards / inverted wingers without playing Gegenpress. Is it the Gegenpress tactic that feels like a 'cheat' or is it the positions i've mentioned? Do you feel I could play players in those positions - without the Gegenpress tactic & it be realistic? Many thanks FM family :)

2 hours ago, NineCloudNine said:

Yes, you can successfully play IWs and IFs without using gegenpress. What makes you think it might not work?

Sorry, I may have worded it badly. (It was late & I'd had a few drinks ;-) ) 

What I meant was, with Gegenpress appearing to be like hitting the 'cheat' button, does playing IF's & IW's without it, offer a 'normal' game? Is it the Gegenpress tactic and / or the positions that players play that appear to make you succeed more than you should. (Hope that makes more sense.) 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Brodie21 said:

What I meant was, with Gegenpress appearing to be like hitting the 'cheat' button, does playing IF's & IW's without it, offer a 'normal' game? Is it the Gegenpress tactic and / or the positions that players play that appear to make you succeed more than you should. (Hope that makes more sense.) 

So you think gegenpress is a win button, but on the other hand you think playing IF/IW might actually be the win button. So you don’t know if there actually is a win button or what it is, though your question assumes there is one.

My suggestion is to stop worrying about win buttons and just play how you want. I use various combinations of pressing, wingers, not-wingers and other myriad variations. I have no idea how to answer your question other than to say that I have had success with/without gegenpress and with/without IF/IW.

Edited by NineCloudNine

I think wide players in general are nowadays more balanced than they used to be. I remember back in FM 2015-17 just a simple winger with pace was like a freight train when nowadays their performances vary a lot more. I have had great performances but on the other hand at times the wide players just disappear from the picture even for long periods of time. 

In older versions a decent winger might have been close to a win button but I don't think they are anymore. It's more the attacking minded wing-backs that can be more effective than they should be, especially in terms of dribbling. 

4 hours ago, NineCloudNine said:

So you think gegenpress is a win button, but on the other hand you think playing IF/IW might actually be the win button. So you don’t know if there actually is a win button or what it is, though your question assumes there is one.

My suggestion is to stop worrying about win buttons and just play how you want. I use various combinations of pressing, wingers, not-wingers and other myriad variations. I have no idea how to answer your question other than to say that I have had success with/without gegenpress and with/without IF/IW.

I have far, far better success with Gegenpress. Was just curious if other players found they had more success than usual if they played with IW / IF - without using Gegenpress.

2 hours ago, El Payaso said:

I think wide players in general are nowadays more balanced than they used to be. I remember back in FM 2015-17 just a simple winger with pace was like a freight train when nowadays their performances vary a lot more. I have had great performances but on the other hand at times the wide players just disappear from the picture even for long periods of time. 

In older versions a decent winger might have been close to a win button but I don't think they are anymore. It's more the attacking minded wing-backs that can be more effective than they should be, especially in terms of dribbling. 

Cheers

On 01/06/2024 at 23:58, Brodie21 said:

I'm aware that many - including myself, have found what appears to be close to a 'cheat' in playing Gegenpress. However, I would really like to return to playing with inverted wingers. I would really appreciate peoples findings in playing with inside forwards / inverted wingers without playing Gegenpress. Is it the Gegenpress tactic that feels like a 'cheat' or is it the positions i've mentioned? Do you feel I could play players in those positions - without the Gegenpress tactic & it be realistic? Many thanks FM family :)

The game focuses on possession oriented and gegenpress tactics which feel like a cheat. It has been like this for years. Highly organized defensive football and counter-attacking don't work well. Despite all the great features, the game lacks an appropriate tactical system that serves the manager. If you want to experience a challenge while playing with a well built squad, you can't do much but replace successful tactics with unsuccessful ones. Hopefully that will change from FM25 onwards.