Southgate: Episode IV - A New Hope

Rob1981

3 hours ago, WillHoward42 said:

87A3EBE1-7314-4EFB-8D14-97C15C3F7080.jpeg.9973541451e63af7b7b9ef9e8136a3ec.jpeg

Wouldnt want to lose the momentum from the Slovenia game, would we Gareth?

I genuinely think the man is on the troll now

Good old Gareth 'we have to be very careful' Southgate.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ceefax the cat said:

"You need a lot of luck to win tournaments"  ≠   "Winning tournaments is purely a matter of luck" 

It's not complicated, really. Surely you can do better than this

Do you also need a ton of luck to play decent football? You know the difference between needing luck to win a tournament and needing luck to play decent football, surely? Foden having more passes to our keeper than our striker is indefensible really. Do better.

Posted (edited)

@Baptista_8 pal, just curious.

If he’s asked a specific question about team changes, what answer WOULD be acceptable to you?

If he said we were playing like **** so we needed to change half the team, you would be the first one moaning that he was throwing players under the bus and not taking responsibility 

Every single time you’re desperate to look for these gotchas when he gives an interview :D 

”We will think about some team changes and we have other exciting players pushing to start. But we don’t want to change too much if some things have been working”. Perfect. Non-committal soundbite, tick UEFA’s box that says you have to do a media conference the day before the game, move on.

It’s literally all he can say. It’s water off a duck’s back.

Edited by Rob1981

Paraphrasing Pickford a bit, but a statement of "It's not about the performances now, it's about winning" is filling me with optimism about a swaggering, convincing performance if that's the message from Southgate :D

As expected, Mainoo the only change. That's at least something.

15 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

@Baptista_8 pal, just curious.

If he’s asked a specific question about team changes, what answer WOULD be acceptable to you?

If he said we were playing like **** so we needed to change half the team, you would be the first one moaning that he was throwing players under the bus and not taking responsibility 

Every single time you’re desperate to look for these gotchas when he gives an interview :D 

”We will think about some team changes and we have other exciting players pushing to start. But we don’t want to change too much if some things have been working”. Perfect. Non-committal soundbite, tick UEFA’s box that says you have to do a media conference the day before the game, move on.

It’s literally all he can say. It’s water off a duck’s back.

I genuinely don't look for gotchas, but his interviews never engage me at all. He comes out with waffle that I'm not sure even he believes, and he rarely gives honest answers.

He'd rather waffle trying to defend his team/squad selection rather than just being strong and telling a reporter to do one or just be direct about why he's selected whoever. He always feels like he has to justify himself but doesn't do it convincingly. He never comes across confident in his own opinion to me, and that stems from his punditry days. He just never fills me with confidence.

Edited by Baptista_8

I mean come on, we need to be careful we don't change too much? We've been awful ffs. He should be ringing the changes to balance the side properly. He doesn't know how to though.

15 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

We've been awful ffs. He should be ringing the changes to balance the side properly.

No argument there. But it still doesn’t mean he is going to come out and criticise the players.

Every media interview is so anodyne these days. You may as well not bother with them.

1 hour ago, Baptista_8 said:

Do you also need a ton of luck to play decent football? You know the difference between needing luck to win a tournament and needing luck to play decent football, surely? Foden having more passes to our keeper than our striker is indefensible really. Do better.

I covered that in my earlier post. Go on about style of play / whether we're playing any good all you like - even then though, history is kind of against you because Southgate is the only manager to get any kind of tune out of England at a tournament in a very long time, and when other managers have, even with very talented sides, it's generally been for 1 or 2 games max. Raise the bar if you like, though you don't really have grounds to.

What you can't really argue about, though, is achievements / progress in tournaments. The facts are just too stacked against you. 

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

No argument there. But it still doesn’t mean he is going to come out and criticise the players.

Every media interview is so anodyne these days. You may as well not bother with them.

What could he criticise them for though, he's been the problem in how he's using them.

He'd gain a lot lot more respect if he actually came out and said things haven't worked so far how he had hoped rather than the crap about we're showing signs of getting where they want to be (or whatever it was he said recently) because from what i can see we haven’t looked any different from one game to the next and if anything have gotten worse.

Just now, ceefax the cat said:

I covered that in my earlier post. Go on about style of play / whether we're playing any good all you like - even then though, history is kind of against you because Southgate is the only manager to get any kind of tune out of England at a tournament in a very long time, and when other managers have, even with very talented sides, it's generally been for 1 or 2 games max. Raise the bar if you like, though you don't really have grounds to.

What you can't really argue about, though, is achievements / progress in tournaments. The facts are just too stacked against you. 

But yet again we're wasting another tournament. While the likes of Palmer gets a bit part role, and we persist with a completely blunt left side.

2 minutes ago, VP. said:

What could he criticise them for though, he's been the problem in how he's using them.

He'd gain a lot lot more respect if he actually came out and said things haven't worked so far how he had hoped rather than the crap about we're showing signs of getting where they want to be (or whatever it was he said recently) because from what i can see we haven’t looked any different from one game to the next and if anything have gotten worse.

When he says we've been good in the final third, but just need a bit more luck/composure, I wince.

Just now, The_jagster said:

Don't think it's the ref's fault if they commit yellow card fouls

Think he could have let the Mainoo one go, although it looked worse on the replay. Guehi is always a card if he doesn't get the ball cleanly though 

For all those praising the work he has done, this isn’t aimed at any one of you.

Southgate has had a ****ing awful tournament here. Absolutely criminal how he has set the team up and refused to make changes throughout.

This Slovakia game is the nail in the coffin, absolutely scandalous the way he has managed this game

For the record I think this game, no matter the result, does not in any way vindicate him. It's just another sh1tty last 16 game that England muddle through (or don't). It's been just as uninspiring as all the other w@nk England last 16 displays I can remember

4 minutes ago, ceefax the cat said:

For the record I think this game, no matter the result, does not in any way vindicate him. It's just another sh1tty last 16 game that England muddle through (or don't). It's been just as uninspiring as all the other w@nk England last 16 displays I can remember

Yeah but it’s also been the same uninspiring **** from the group games and literally nothing has changed, if anything we looked worse. Then the in game management. 0 shots on target, when you’re down a goal, and making 0 subs (except for an injury) until the 84’ minute is absolutely nonsensical.

We can joke how it’s worked out, but let’s not kid ourselves that based on how we have played and that of what the Swiss have produced. We look dead already. Something really does need to change. Cannot just keep things as they are and hope something suddenly clicks. It hasn’t yet, and it’s not going to.

it’s genuine insanity how Gareth has managed this game.

However, I’m still glad we’ve managed to make it through (if we do) I’m ready to throw Gareth under the bus all over again when the same **** gets pedalled out next Saturday 

16 minutes ago, ceefax the cat said:

It's been just as uninspiring as all the other w@nk England last 16 displays I can remember

Ah that's alright then. Set the bar low.

I can generally get behind our pragmatic approach and am supportive of Gareth but dear lord that was awful management throughout the entire game. A proper disasterclass and we are incredibly lucky to have been playing a very poor side who offered nothing.

For the love of God, please make changes next game Gareth. Now been 4 games, and it's clear it's not working.

Not going to win Euros with these level of performances. One win in 90 out of 4 isn't sustainable against better opposition. 

10 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

By far the best bit from this result is we get at least another 6 days of Rob making people rage with his posts :cool:

Not sure you can defend Southgate any more but I'm sure if anyone can,  Rob can. 

We’re still seeing the same poor in-game management and reluctance to utilise subs as we did early on in Southgate’s tenure.  Back then we were told he would get better as he grows into the role but nothing’s changed really.

You'd think after that showing some players will be lucky to start the next game,  if it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s seen as job done and go again.

5 minutes ago, JJ72 said:

Not sure you can defend Southgate any more but I'm sure if anyone can,  Rob can. 

I’ll defend his record at previous tournaments. That doesn’t mean that this tournament hasn’t been awful so far. Not sure why this is still so hard to understand.

• Administrators
Just now, Rob1981 said:

I’ll defend his record at previous tournaments. That doesn’t mean that this tournament hasn’t been awful so far. Not sure why this is still so hard to understand.

Not like we were great in all those tournaments either were we? Been similar arguments against him for the majority of his tenure. 

Just now, Lucas said:

Not like we were great in all those tournaments either were we? 

I mean, for the most part? Yes we were.

If you think this year is “more of the same” you haven’t been watching closely enough.

11 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

I mean, for the most part? Yes we were.

If you think this year is “more of the same” you haven’t been watching closely enough.

I'm really confused how people think this year is like the other tournaments. I know we weren't thrill a minute, but we looked so much more organised and with a clear plan. This year has been woeful, and I've not seen anybody argue otherwise. 

17 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Not like we were great in all those tournaments either were we? Been similar arguments against him for the majority of his tenure. 

We've been ALOT better than we have in the past 4 games. 

It was too structured at times, but never this bad, never this clueless, never this inept, not even close.